Stampeders' Tommie Campbell arrested

Stampeders' Tommie Campbell arrested

by rhymes with orange » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:37 pm

Stamps DB Tommie Campbell has been busted on drug charges in suburban Pittsburgh, allegedly selling crack cocaine out of his Mom's house. Police caught him trying to flee but recovered a team backpack with 180 grams of crack cocaine inside and more than $3,000 in cash.

Kind of sad to see the Stampeders brand sullied in a drug bust, but you can view the backpack at 1:23 of this video.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/former-nfl-pla ... /487597546
Last edited by rhymes with orange on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud B.C. Lions season ticket holder since 1995.
All-Star

Re: Stampeders' Tommie Cambell arrested

by HfxTC » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:42 pm

Not sure this has anything to do with the football team. If a guy beats his wife do we say it sullies the football team ???
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by brihind88 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:47 pm

Cut him loose now.

I do not want this kind of trash on my team.
All-Star

by rhymes with orange » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:22 am

HfxTC wrote:Not sure this has anything to do with the football team. If a guy beats his wife do we say it sullies the football team ???

What are you talking about?? Of course it affects the football team! These guys all represent the logo, on and off the field. Maybe you haven't watched the clip, but there is the Stamps team issued backpack laying on the table at police headquarters along with cocaine and dollar bills laid out. Yea, that's a good image that the club wants to project! :roll:
Proud B.C. Lions season ticket holder since 1995.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:41 am

HfxTC wrote: If a guy beats his wife do we say it sullies the football team ???

Not sure if you do HfxTC but the CFL certainly thinks so.

The CFL announced its official policy on Violence Against Women back in August 2015

Read about it at:

http://www.cfl.ca/2015/08/06/cfl-announ ... en-policy/

"In cases where there are clear and documented cases of violence against women – determined by the police, the courts, or confirmed by the perpetrator – the CFL will impose sanctions.

• These sanctions will range from suspension for single or multiple games to a lifetime ban from the CFL, depending on the severity and number of incidences.
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

Re: Stampeders' Tommie Campbell arrested

by HfxTC » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:56 am

That reflects on the individual not on the team or employer.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by beaglehound » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:38 am

HfxTC wrote:That reflects on the individual not on the team or employer.

Actually it does reflect on the team and employer as well. That is why the CFL [aka employer] metes out sanctions. It happened to Arland Bruce [ex- Montreal player]. He was cut from the team for making what were considered inappropriate comments about gays. It happen to Josh Boden [ ex-Lions]. It recently happened to an Saturday Night Live employee who made an inappropriate remark about Trump's 10 year old son. She was immediately fired. It happened in Vancouver during the Canuck's bid for the Stanley Cup. After losing the 7th game against Boston a few years ago, there were riots in the streets. Many rioters [and looters] were arrested. One particular female caught on video lost her job the next day. She worked for a well known car dealership. The car dealership did not want to be connected with her in anyway and in their words said, " We expect more from our employees".

Professional sports teams have an image to maintain and to protect. Guilt by association may not be fair but it is the reality we live in so yes, how a professional player conducts himself can reflect badly on the image of the team and employer.
All-Star

by Argonauts est.1873 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:19 am

YES!!! It does reflect on the team as his employer. Just because the Stamps aren't involved in the drug deals his name is associated with them.
STUPID STUPID FOOL!!!! Some of these guys who come to the CFL from sketchy areas just can't put their old neighbourhood issues in their rear view mirrors. Remember that great BC Lion rb who tossed his career away being caught with major drugs?

FOOL!
Rescue the sunken 'Good Ship Argonaut' and restore her in 2017, PLEASE!!!!

Stay in Canada, spend in Canada!!!!!
All-Star

by DAN38 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:28 am

I never hold an institution or company responsible for the actions of a human unless they condone the actions of that human. Only then will it reflect on the institution or company.
Si vis pacem... para bellum
All-Star

by papazoola » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:50 am

.....The guy has obviously thrown his career away IF all of this goes to court and is proven...Too bad the guy has real talent and is/was a shut down db...I'd say if he was selling junk out of his mother's house and she was aware of it...I'd say it reflects badly on somebody other than his present team. :(
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what's NOT being said....AnonymousImage
Hall of Famer

by Xvys » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:44 am

Wow, selling crack from his Mom's house. Instead of football he can play checkers in the park with Yonus Davis.
All-Star

by robsawatsky » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:22 pm

DAN38 wrote:I never hold an institution or company responsible for the actions of a human unless they condone the actions of that human. Only then will it reflect on the institution or company.

You have it somewhat reversed:

The team is holding the PLAYER responsible for their private actions that reflect badly on the public image of the employer, the TEAM in this case.

As a business that deals in public entertainment and perception the private actions of its employees can be a legitimate condition of employment. In fact any business can do this if the can make a case of a bona-fide employment condition (such as a criminal record or pending charge).

While you are entitled to your view it isn't the general public perception assumed by the league or its member teams.
Veteran

by DAN38 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:54 pm

robsawatsky wrote:
DAN38 wrote:I never hold an institution or company responsible for the actions of a human unless they condone the actions of that human. Only then will it reflect on the institution or company.

You have it somewhat reversed:

The team is holding the PLAYER responsible for their private actions that reflect badly on the public image of the employer, the TEAM in this case.

As a business that deals in public entertainment and perception the private actions of its employees can be a legitimate condition of employment. In fact any business can do this if the can make a case of a bona-fide employment condition (such as a criminal record or pending charge).

While you are entitled to your view it isn't the general public perception assumed by the league or its member teams.

I do not hold the Calgary Stampeders responsible for Campbell's alleged actions. He did that all by himself. The team and the league did all they could do to make sure this stuff doesn't happen.They can't follow him home. All they can do now is discipline the offender... Does it look bad on the league ? Apparently some people think so.. I won't stop watching because of one bad apple.. Does it look bad on Campbell ? I think so !

You said" The team is holding the PLAYER responsible for their private actions that reflect badly on the public image of the employer, the TEAM in this case." I agree 100% and it's their right and responsibility to do so... TO ME Campbell is the only one responsible for his actions, not where he works. TO ME his actions do not reflect the Calgary Stampeders or the CFL.
Si vis pacem... para bellum
All-Star

by brihind88 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:21 pm

Hey Huff,

What is the hold up ? Cut him today. Like now.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:00 pm

Dan,

You had said, " I never hold an institution or company responsible for the actions of a human unless they condone the actions of that human. Only then will it reflect on the institution or company."

I agree but firstly, Rhymes with Orange and others I do not think were saying the Stamps should be held responsible for the guy's misconduct. And secondly, Rhymes with orange did not use the word reflect, he used the word "sullied" which as you know is another word for tarnish or soil or stain.

HfxTC used the word "reflect". I for one assumed HfxTC was using the word reflect as one would use sully. Perhaps he wasn't.

When you say, " TO ME his actions do not reflect the Calgary Stampeders or the CFL." I can only respond by saying that while the guy's actions do not "represent" the standards the Stamps hold for their players, this guy's actions does "reflect" poorly on the team's image.

The CFL or the team taking disciplinary action against any player behaviour that could "reflect" badly on the team's image isn't being taken because the team thinks or feels it is responsible in some way. It is being taken to maintain the high standards the team has as part of an institution.
All-Star

Next