Younger viewers

Re: Younger viewers

by Argofan_1000 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Mightygoose wrote:Strange. I see a fair amount of young people and families at Argos games. Yes it does skew on the older side and it does need to grow on the younger side too but to say they don't exist is far from the truth.

Once the other Toronto teams start coming down to earth some of those band wagon crowds will have discretional time and money for other things. The Argos won't get all of them but if they give them a good reason to come out many will.

I don't agree with Jim either. I have photos of the Argo crowd from last year and there are some older people but mostly 20's 30's and 40 year olds with children
argos 1.gif
Argo game from last year
argos 1.gif (41.46 KiB) Viewed 650 times
Veteran

by slimjim2 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:25 am

Argofan_1000 wrote:
Mightygoose wrote:Strange. I see a fair amount of young people and families at Argos games. Yes it does skew on the older side and it does need to grow on the younger side too but to say they don't exist is far from the truth.

Once the other Toronto teams start coming down to earth some of those band wagon crowds will have discretional time and money for other things. The Argos won't get all of them but if they give them a good reason to come out many will.

I don't agree with Jim either. I have photos of the Argo crowd from last year and there are some older people but mostly 20's 30's and 40 year olds with children
argos 1.gif

It's not about agreeing with me, it's about the facts. The Argo fans are a majority older baby boomers.
You can't take a picture of the opening game against the Tiger Cats and say that the majority of Argo fans in the picture are older.
I was at that game too and if you had taken a picture a week later when the Argos played Ottawa there were 12k "announced" in the stands, the upper deck east side was empty and around the stadium the fans were mostly older.
Go to the Shipyards before an Argo game or the tail gate, you are going to see a lot of baby boomers.
Go to a TFC game and go to Liberty Village before a TFC game and you see nothing but young people.
Go to a Jays game and you see the majority are young families. Go to a Raps game and it's young people.

Even the Argo ownership group has stated that they want to get the millenials, the Argos are just not on the radar for young people.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Mon May 15, 2017 11:07 am

I go to the shipyard frequently and I see the highest proportion of younger people there. More than in stadium but that's where they need to grow.

BTW, that pic 2 posts above is not from the home opener. The opener is was an evening game and that pic is in clear daylight :D . It's likely from Hamilton's other visit which was an afternoon game.
All-Star

by brihind88 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Mightygoose wrote:I go to the shipyard frequently and I see the highest proportion of younger people there. More than in stadium but that's where they need to grow.

BTW, that pic 2 posts above is not from the home opener. The opener is was an evening game and that pic is in clear daylight :D . It's likely from Hamilton's other visit which was an afternoon game.

It is a small pic, but looks like a very good crowd.

If the Cats were the visiting team it would explain it.
All-Star

by -Hammer- » Mon May 15, 2017 3:49 pm

What it comes down to is everywhere but Toronto the CFL's streaming options, social media improvements, site improvements (except the logo) and excellent video production has paid dividends. There is no issue with a younger audience outside of Toronto. From my understanding, the league is still doing quite well in the 18-34 demographic.

As far as why in Toronto they have trouble getting youth out to games? Well...lets see.

- They have a local university program that has been a complete joke for decades in the Varsity Blues that activity harmed the Argos during the original BMO construction debacle for a music hall.

- You've done nothing to try and repair the toxic relationship between soccer fans after the initial BMO/Varsity building debacle, or the current move to BMO, such as a gestures of free tickets, or working together on charitable causes.

- The city has a massive immigrant demographic who ever grew up with Football and has direct access to other sports they are more familiar with (IE: Soccer, Basketball, Baseball) then Football, grassroots Football has taken a major hit across the country with all the concussion scares making it harder to attract these demographics.

- You have other organizations offering competitive price points in comparison to the Argos on field product, with better youth and family pricing points.

- You have a major cable company constantly dragging down the league due to the fact it can't bid for rights to the product.

- The other sports teams in the city are competitive, the Argos have not been, apart from a brief year during the 100th Grey Cup.
Les Tigre-Chats de Hamilton - Naufrage des navires depuis 1869
All-Star

by Aerial » Mon May 15, 2017 5:29 pm

Weirdest thing is with Toronto with the most historical, most iconic in may ways, CFL team, most Grey Cups won, that should be the "gold standard" in every which way for an CFL team to be "the best" in all aspects, is basically not that at all.

Just weird. But hey, we are talking about Toronto afterall where weird can be as weird gets. 8)

Mind you, with Tanenbaum and Bell and at least now playing in a football specific stadium, there is hope. Even if little ol' Saskatchewan will have a better football stadium than almighty Toronto. :lol:
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:21 am

-Hammer- wrote:What it comes down to is everywhere but Toronto the CFL's streaming options, social media improvements, site improvements (except the logo) and excellent video production has paid dividends. There is no issue with a younger audience outside of Toronto. From my understanding, the league is still doing quite well in the 18-34 demographic.

As far as why in Toronto they have trouble getting youth out to games? Well...lets see.

- They have a local university program that has been a complete joke for decades in the Varsity Blues that activity harmed the Argos during the original BMO construction debacle for a music hall.

- You've done nothing to try and repair the toxic relationship between soccer fans after the initial BMO/Varsity building debacle, or the current move to BMO, such as a gestures of free tickets, or working together on charitable causes.

- The city has a massive immigrant demographic who ever grew up with Football and has direct access to other sports they are more familiar with (IE: Soccer, Basketball, Baseball) then Football, grassroots Football has taken a major hit across the country with all the concussion scares making it harder to attract these demographics.

- You have other organizations offering competitive price points in comparison to the Argos on field product, with better youth and family pricing points.

- You have a major cable company constantly dragging down the league due to the fact it can't bid for rights to the product.

- The other sports teams in the city are competitive, the Argos have not been, apart from a brief year during the 100th Grey Cup.

Yes exactly! and you forgot one of the other main reasons - Most in Toronto and especially the millenials don't see the CFL as "major league"
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:34 am

Not sure if this belongs here or in the How do Argos get 10,000 more fans threads.

***Keep lengthy discussion of other sports and leagues to the appropriate forum"""

Argos games (I'm going to use my non-Ti-Cats game experience here - since when it is the Cats that are playing in Toronto the majority of fans going to the game are Ti-Cats fans). Definitely skews older. Way fewer families than the Jays. Some Dads with their sons like the TFC crowd. More 40+ guys travelling with friends to the game. At least as many of them and probably more than younger friends in the 18-35 demographic going to the game. And nowhere near as many on the train overall compared to how full it usually gets when going to TFC and Jays games.
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Tue May 16, 2017 9:34 am

slimjim2 wrote:
Yes exactly! and you forgot one of the other main reasons - Most in Toronto and especially the millenials don't see the CFL as "major league"

I think this is the key point. And it's not just that many don't view the CFL as major league but they don't view it as a cool non-major league (like NLL or MLS for example). The default response/reaction for many when the topic of the CFL comes up is one of scorn and derision, thus marginalizing those who do follow the league. That, I think, is the big factor the CFL has to try to overcome in the Toronto market.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by TravelPat1 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:41 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:Not sure if this belongs here or in the How do Argos get 10,000 more fans threads.

***Keep lengthy discussion of other sports and leagues to the appropriate forum"""

Argos games (I'm going to use my non-Ti-Cats game experience here - since when it is the Cats that are playing in Toronto the majority of fans going to the game are Ti-Cats fans). Definitely skews older. Way fewer families than the Jays. Some Dads with their sons like the TFC crowd. More 40+ guys travelling with friends to the game. At least as many of them and probably more than younger friends in the 18-35 demographic going to the game. And nowhere near as many on the train overall compared to how full it usually gets when going to TFC and Jays games.

Interesting a moderator would choose to edit out my comments comparing the age and demographic make up comparing those travelling to Jays TFC and Argos games. Things like which seem to be attracting multiple families families travelling together, multigenerational families etc., male - female breakdown etc.

Particularly intrigued that a comment about 8 university aged students jockish looking guys - who got on the train in Burlington on the way to the soccer game had a discussion in which only one had EVER been to a CFL game - is considered off topic.

Oh well hopefully the Argos and the CFL are paying attention even if it is a verbotten subject here because if they're not - good luck ever attracting them.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Tue May 16, 2017 5:27 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:Not sure if this belongs here or in the How do Argos get 10,000 more fans threads.

Interesting a moderator would choose to edit out my comments comparing the age and demographic make up comparing those travelling to Jays TFC and Argos games. Things like which seem to be attracting multiple families families travelling together, multigenerational families etc., male - female breakdown etc.

Particularly intrigued that a comment about 8 university aged students jockish looking guys - who got on the train in Burlington on the way to the soccer game had a discussion in which only one had EVER been to a CFL game - is considered off topic.

Oh well hopefully the Argos and the CFL are paying attention even if it is a verbotten subject here because if they're not - good luck ever attracting them.

Agreed with allot of your post. Hits the nail on many heads.

Mind you, it started off with 'Not sure if this belongs here'...and with it broken off on it's own thread in the 'other sports' section...you kind of asked them to :lol:

Now the league has 2 places to look.

Edit: At Town Hall meeting tonight.

No question the majority here are grey haired. There's a contingent of younger fans here tonight. So there's something to build on.

Events like this was missing last year. Hope they can keep it up
All-Star

by Neely2005 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:17 am

Mightygoose wrote:I go to the shipyard frequently and I see the highest proportion of younger people there. More than in stadium but that's where they need to grow.

Lots of kids and families at the Tailgates too. Don't worry about Jim he likes to make things up to try to justify his hate of Toronto.
"ALL-TIME RECORDS

Grey Cup Wins:

16- Toronto Argonauts
14- Edmonton Eskimos
10- Winnipeg Blue Bombers
8- Hamilton Tiger-Cats
7- Ottawa Rough Riders
7- Montreal Alouettes
7- Calgary Stampeders
6- B.C. Lions
4- Saskatchewan Roughriders"

http://www.cfl.ca/2010/12/02/by-the-num ... cup-glory/
Veteran

by Neely2005 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:22 am

-Hammer- wrote:

$199 11 game Season Ticket packages aren't competitive prices? $4 tall boys at the Tailgates aren't competitive prices?
"ALL-TIME RECORDS

Grey Cup Wins:

16- Toronto Argonauts
14- Edmonton Eskimos
8- Hamilton Tiger-Cats
7- Ottawa Rough Riders
7- Montreal Alouettes
7- Calgary Stampeders
6- B.C. Lions

Veteran

by Neely2005 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:26 am

TravelPat1 wrote:since when it is the Cats that are playing in Toronto the majority of fans going to the game are Ti-Cats fans).

BS
"ALL-TIME RECORDS

Grey Cup Wins:

16- Toronto Argonauts
14- Edmonton Eskimos
8- Hamilton Tiger-Cats
7- Ottawa Rough Riders
7- Montreal Alouettes
7- Calgary Stampeders
6- B.C. Lions

Veteran

by TravelPat1 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:23 pm

Neely2005 wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:since when it is the Cats that are playing in Toronto the majority of fans going to the game are Ti-Cats fans).

BS

Neely if my original post had not been butchered by a moderator you would know that my original post was not talking about everybody at a game but specifically talking about the difference in demographics of fans based on my own personal observations travelling on the Lakeshore West GO Trains between Aldershot and Toronto travelling to Jays, TFC and Argos games.

When the Cats are playing at BMO the majority of fans on that GO Train route are Ti-Cats fans - and that is why in my comparison I specifically referred to non Ti-Cats Argos games GO Train demographics so that my comparison was more apples to apples to apples. ie. Jays, TFC and Argos fans - without Ti-Cats fans skewing the comparison.

I completely understand why you would not get that from the way my post got edited by a moderator though.
All-Star

PreviousNext