Future Grey Cups - Host City

Re: Future Grey Cups - Host City

by brihind88 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:36 am

PrideLivesHere wrote:"Nothing could be fina than to be in Regina at a Grey Cup" - Mr. Tom Hanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGQF_mgGG8o

Tom Hanks, great actor, funny and classy.

I am sure Martin Short was a great host and Tom really did have a good time.

Also, a week earlier Billy Bob Thornton was in Calgary for the West Final.

He was on a break from filming Fargo.

He said he was amazed at the Rider support in another team stadium.
All-Star

by Argofan_1000 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:04 pm

2017 Grey Cup Tickets already on Stub Hub.

https://www.stubhub.com/grey-cup-ticket ... =price+asc

Resellers creating a built in demand to an event and it explodes if a home team is involved
Veteran

by Gornaldatron » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:35 pm

Argofan_1000 wrote:2017 Grey Cup Tickets already on Stub Hub.

Resellers creating a built in demand to an event and it explodes if a home team is involved

How is this possible? I didn't think tickets were even close to being on sale yet, except for the $50 deposit you could put down.
Veteran

by cflisthebest » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:08 am

Considering the tickets aren't on sale yet I call bullshit.
A Proud member of the Rider Nation!
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:15 pm

Gornaldatron wrote:
Argofan_1000 wrote:2017 Grey Cup Tickets already on Stub Hub.

How is this possible? I didn't think tickets were even close to being on sale yet, except for the $50 deposit you could put down.

Grey Cup tickets were an option if you renewed or bought Ottawa 2017 season tickets, they went on sale a few weeks before the Grey Cup. Scalpers will buy season tickets and then post tickets for sale on sites like stub hub.
So yes it is possible for Grey Cup tickets to be on Stub Hub already.
All-Star

by brianjoxx » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:59 pm

[quote="project.legacy"]2018 will probably go out West, so I'd like to see Edmonton
2019 - Hamilton (Tigers 150th Anniversary)
2020 - Regina
2021 - Should be Montreal, if they can ever fix the Big Owe, but if that doesn't happen = Calgary
2022 - BC or Calgary (depending on 2021)
2023 - Toronto (Argonauts 150th Anniversary)
2024 - BC or Calgary (depending on '21 and '22)
2025 - Kelowna (Hopefully they'll have a team by 2021

Total AGREE with you. NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Starter

by rcon » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:07 pm

cflisthebest wrote:Considering the tickets aren't on sale yet I call bullshit.

I purchased my Grey Cup tix when I renewed my season tickets. I will receive the physical tickets in June, but I could put mine up now for resale if I wanted to.
All-Star

by cartman20 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:11 pm

brianjoxx wrote:
project.legacy wrote:2018 will probably go out West, so I'd like to see Edmonton
2019 - Hamilton (Tigers 150th Anniversary)
2020 - Regina
2021 - Should be Montreal, if they can ever fix the Big Owe, but if that doesn't happen = Calgary
2022 - BC or Calgary (depending on 2021)
2023 - Toronto (Argonauts 150th Anniversary)
2024 - BC or Calgary (depending on '21 and '22)
2025 - Kelowna (Hopefully they'll have a team by 2021

Total AGREE with you. NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more Cups for Calgary until they get a new stadium and a new fire chief.

2009 was the worst GC experience I've had in the 15 or so I've attended. McMahon can't handle the extra bodies (took an hour to get a beer) and the CFD kept shutting down all the venues with their BS regs. Spirit, Tiger Town et al...all spent more time dealing with cops and fire than serving fun loving Cup attendees.
Starter

by REmmett » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:37 pm

With 2018 going to Calgary or Edmonton how does this change the future if any.

Predictions

2017 Ottawa
2018 Edmonton
2019 Hamilton
2020 Saskatchewan
2021 Calgary
Rookie

by drummer_god » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:50 pm

REmmett wrote:2017 Ottawa
2018 Edmonton
2019 Hamilton
2020 Saskatchewan

This much for sure.
Hall of Famer

by slimjim2 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:20 am

drummer_god wrote:
2018 Edmonton
2019 Hamilton
2020 Saskatchewan

This much for sure.

Hamilton? not for sure, it's not about whose turn it is or if they deserve it. If they don't put a bid in they don't get a Grey Cup. The city and the Ticats have to study to see if it's economically viable, besides city councillors not on board and no bid until litigation sorted out

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/72096 ... -politics/
All-Star

by Grover » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:41 am

Jim, That link you show is about the LRT.

This is the correct story and it says that 2019 would be a target for a Grey Cup in the Hammer

https://3downnation.com/2017/03/24/hami ... n-settled/

Hamilton won’t bid for Grey Cup until stadium litigation is settled

The City of Hamilton will not partner with Hamilton Tiger-Cats in a Grey Cup bid until the lawsuits surrounding the construction of Tim Hortons Field have been resolved.

“We can’t do any business with them when there’s litigation outstanding,” city councillor Sam Merulla said Friday.

The Calgary Stampeders and the Edmonton Eskimos are the only two teams bidding for the right to host the 2018 Grey Cup game. Calgary last hosted the league’s championship showcase in 2009 while the game was played in Edmonton the following year. The 2017 Grey Cup game is set to be hosted in Ottawa, an event that coincide with country’s 150th anniversary celebrations.

Hamilton, meanwhile, hasn’t hosted a Grey Cup since 1996. But Ticats CEO Scott Mitchell says the team can’t move forward with a bid without the support of city council.

“For the Grey Cup to be successful, there has to be a partnership between the team and the city,” Mitchell said.

The competition between the two Alberta cities is the first under the CFL’s revamped selection process. After years of awarding the Grey Cup – and its estimated $100 million of economic activity – based on backroom handshake deals or regional preferences, the CFL Board of Governors has put a formal process in place to judge each application on its merits.

When the City of Hamilton opened its publicly-funded $145 million stadium in 2015, the hope was that the city would be in position to host multiple Grey Cups in a short period of time, giving both the city and the team a significant economic boost.

But the stadium, which was delivered more than a year behind schedule, has been by beset by construction problems and is the subject of multiple lawsuits filed by the province, city and the CFL team.

There have been reports that a settlement between the parties could be imminent – something that Merulla reiterated on Friday – but Mitchell says significant issues remain.

“The reality is that there hasn’t been any progression in the litigation,” he said.

Nonetheless, Mitchell remains hopeful that the team and the city will be in position to make a push for the game by this time next year.

“Our focus is on 2019, which is an exciting year because it coincides with the 150 anniversary of Hamilton Tiger-Cats franchise,” Mitchell said. “We would be thrilled to bid and ultimately host the Grey Cup that year.”

Although the current Hamilton Tiger-Cats were officially founded in 1950, the franchise’s origins trace back to 1869 when Hamilton Football Club was formed. They played their first game in December of that year and became the Tigers in 1873.

“I think that’s a great idea. I really support it,” Merulla said. “And it ties in nicely to the challenges we’re facing with litigation. It should be resolved well before then.”
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by Cool » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:18 am

Hopefully the Go-Train is able to be expanded to allow getting off or near THF... Would really help for a Grey Cup...
Last edited by Cool on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pull Together everyone
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:19 am

slimjim2 wrote:
drummer_god wrote:
2018 Edmonton
2019 Hamilton
2020 Saskatchewan

This much for sure.

Hamilton? not for sure, it's not about whose turn it is or if they deserve it. If they don't put a bid in they don't get a Grey Cup. The city and the Ticats have to study to see if it's economically viable, besides city councillors not on board and no bid until litigation sorted out

I downloaded the wrong story above, this is the article about city councillors not behind a Grey Cup bid:

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/24/hamil ... n-settled/
All-Star

by Grover » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:27 am

slimjim2 wrote:

I downloaded the wrong story above, this is the article about city councillors not behind a Grey Cup bid:

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/24/hamil ... n-settled/

Jim, did you even read the article?? :roll:

From TiCats VP Scott Mitchell
“Our focus is on 2019, which is an exciting year because it coincides with the 150 anniversary of Hamilton Tiger-Cats franchise,” Mitchell said. “We would be thrilled to bid and ultimately host the Grey Cup that year.”

Sam Merulla the City councillor who represents the constituents of the Stadium precinct thinks it is a tremendous idea and fully supports a bid in 2019
“I think that’s a great idea. I really support it,” Merulla said. “And it ties in nicely to the challenges we’re facing with litigation. It should be resolved well before then.”
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

PreviousNext