QB's 2017

Re: QB's 2017

by brianjoxx » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:40 pm

prairiewolf77 wrote:
pikk wrote:So who is going where.
Durant- I hear is having contract problems
Burris- The league hates me and if I don't start next year I am taking my ball home.
Franklin- Rumour is, Jones wants him. Or is Jake Waters the future.
Montreal QB's - Who knows.
Ricky Ray- retire??
Winnipeg- Does Nichols sign??
Collaras- Goes unhurt for a season?

Sask: Durant resigns with Riders, both want it Plus not other option on team.
Ottawa: Burris will be backing up Harris in Ottawa, Maybe Burris goes to Toronto out of desperation for both sides
Edmonton: Reilly's team. Franklin is still unproven, signed for 1 more year. stays in Edmonton
Montreal: Same QB's they have now
Toronto: Ricky Ray Retires, possibly sign Burris to retain Senior citizen Quota
Winnipeg: Resigns Nichols
Calgary: Mitchel either this year or next year takes a shot at NFL. Tate moves back into starter role
Hamilton: Collaros has bounce back year
BC: Jennings team. Lulay possibly gets attention from Montreal or Toronto

Basically right on. However one major move will happen/ which one!!!
Starter

by brianjoxx » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:48 pm

Grover wrote:I predict, (for no apparent reason :wink: )

Durant signs in TOR
Franklin is traded to SSK
Nichols stays in WPG
Ray to MTL with Milanovich, forfeit coach compensation

First two picks are dead wrong
Last two picks maybe!!!!!!
Starter

by Paolo X » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:19 pm

ArgoT wrote:We are in a mess.
The cupboard is definitely bare.
Ray has been done for a couple of years now.
The team and I blame Barker and Milanovich, made huge mistakes in first letting Collaros then Harris go.
Now with the stupid trade for Willy, who knows what plan B or C may be?
Like everyone else out there in the Franklin trade hunt, that's one possibility.
I am not sold on Nichols and Durant.
The latter is a few years younger than Ray but still on the down side of his career.
Would remind me of the horrible Joseph signing when we had Bishop?

As there is a flow of a few players between the NFL and CFL annually, it's noteworthy that the NFL is a mess in this regard too.

Let's take the current QB stats in 4-down pro football, sorted by yards per game, for starters:
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... S_GAME_AVG

The top 20 through Cam Newton, who is having a poor season but is going nowhere, are solidly here to stay plus guys like Tony Romo (probably near retirement anyway), younger quarterbacks like Trevor Siemian, Carson Wentz, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Tannehill, and Paxton Lynch. And so we have about 30 QBs who are going to stick with the NFL and have potential as starters if not already and then as for the rest, well, have a look and do you want them? :roll: Some will manage to turn into decent backups down here too.

Let's note it's not as if all the guys on the list above could play 3-down football well too either even if they were inclined and available.

Out of the NCAA, well often some fine passers who do not make the NFL cut do come out of the spread offenses of the Big 12 and the non-Power conferences plus out of the second division FBS and third division Division II. And so the few solid CFL backups plus these guys are your new talent pool.

So is the overall talent pool at QB for the CFL thinner than usual? I'll leave it to you fans of the CFL who have been at it far longer than I to discuss that matter.
All-Star

by Paolo X » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:21 pm

BigJoeM wrote:
Trips wrote:I think Burris will think otherwise about that.

I guess I give Hank credit for winning and also give him credit knowing his next job is to make sure the torch is passed without a drop . I think he is now thinking of his future but has one more year left in the gas tank ( I hope ) .

He will be number one again next year if Harris falters or is injured he already agreed on that last year and he is a man of his word . I think he would want a little cash for his troubles though if he brings them a another cup which is only fair in 2017 . I say they keep him on in 2018 in some capacity other than playing and retire his number IMO .

I'm thinking that Burris retires at the top, for that's a great way to go out. How did his situation to obtain Canadian citizenship work out though? I read that he was encountering many challenges.
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:15 pm

As far as I know Burris is still waiting on his citizenship .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by QQ One-Nine » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:18 pm

BigJoeM wrote:As far as I know Burris is still waiting on his citizenship .

All the more reason to retire from football and get a real "full-time job". :roll:
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:37 am

Paolo X wrote:
BigJoeM wrote:
Trips wrote:I think Burris will think otherwise about that.

I guess I give Hank credit for winning and also give him credit knowing his next job is to make sure the torch is passed without a drop . I think he is now thinking of his future but has one more year left in the gas tank ( I hope ) .

He will be number one again next year if Harris falters or is injured he already agreed on that last year and he is a man of his word . I think he would want a little cash for his troubles though if he brings them a another cup which is only fair in 2017 . I say they keep him on in 2018 in some capacity other than playing and retire his number IMO .

I'm thinking that Burris retires at the top, for that's a great way to go out. How did his situation to obtain Canadian citizenship work out though? I read that he was encountering many challenges.

I think he was trying to obtain "landed immigrant status" or Canadian residency. Citizenship takes another 5 years after becoming an official resident. He was trying to fight the rules because they defined the CFL as temporary work, the same status as the temporary workers that come in from the Carib etc at harvest time.
All-Star

by ArgoT » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:25 pm

I think the league needs a franchise player exclusion rule to the cap.
I know people will say that's what got the league in trouble in the 90's.
It won't now with the SMS and much higher TV dollars, this has to come into play on top of the current cap.
All-Star

by High_Five » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:46 pm

Montreal - Vernon Adams Jr. will be the starter (lots to learn but lots of potential)
Ottawa - Harris will be the starter. Burris will back him up.
Toronto - Who knows? I would start Lefevour if I were them. Willy is done. Ray will be the back up.
Hamilton - Collaros will be the starter. Agree that Lefevour back in Hamilton would be a good option.
Winnipeg - Nichols will be the starter.
Saskatchewan - Durant will be the starter.
Edmonton - Reilly will be the starter. Franklin will back him up for more money.
Calgary - no change.
BC - no change.
Veteran

by Liquor Kitty » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:59 pm

High_Five wrote:Montreal - Vernon Adams Jr. will be the starter (lots to learn but lots of potential)
Ottawa - Harris will be the starter. Burris will back him up.
Toronto - Who knows? I would start Lefevour if I were them. Willy is done. Ray will be the back up.
Hamilton - Collaros will be the starter. Agree that Lefevour back in Hamilton would be a good option.

Winnipeg - Nichols will be the starter.
Saskatchewan - Durant will be the starter.
Edmonton - Reilly will be the starter. Franklin will back him up for more money.
Calgary - no change.
BC - no change.

No, Masoli is there. They are about equal.
Veteran

by Paolo X » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:35 pm

Rather than start a new thread, I figured to revive an old one. Who else was impressed by the quarterback play overall in the first week as you watched the games and highlights? :o

In no particular order, Reilly, Ray, Mitchell, and Jennings all played as well as ever with passes that were looking so tight and sharp.

Trevor Harris, Kevin Glenn, Darien Durant, and Zach Collaros - give them each two more games I say.

Can we appreciate at least the QB play in only week one!?

When was the last season when the starting QBs were all this good?

In 2009 when I started following the CFL, here were the starters in week one as best as I can figure out:

CAL - Burris
EDM - Ray
BC - Buck Pierce
SSK - Durant

MTL - Calvillo
TOR - Kerry Joseph
HAM - Glenn
WPG - Michael Bishop
All-Star

by brianjoxx » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:49 pm

Paolo X wrote:Rather than start a new thread, I figured to revive an old one. Who else was impressed by the quarterback play overall in the first week as you watched the games and highlights? :o

In no particular order, Reilly, Ray, Mitchell, and Jennings all played as well as ever with passes that were looking so tight and sharp.

Trevor Harris, Kevin Glenn, Darien Durant, and Zach Collaros - give them each two more games I say.

In 2009 when I started following the CFL, here were the starters in week one as best as I can figure out:

CAL - Burris
EDM - Ray
BC - Buck Pierce
SSK - Durant

MTL - Calvillo
TOR - Kerry Joseph
HAM - Glenn
WPG - Michael Bishop

Nice Read. See last season how mostly ever post was wrong. Ricky R dead. Franklin in REGINA. Burris what ever!!!!!
Starter

by depopulationINC » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:25 pm

Paolo X wrote:Rather than start a new thread, I figured to revive an old one. Who else was impressed by the quarterback play overall in the first week as you watched the games and highlights? :o

CAL - Burris
EDM - Ray
BC - Buck Pierce
SSK - Durant

MTL - Calvillo
TOR - Kerry Joseph
HAM - Glenn
WPG - Michael Bishop

It was a delight watching Ray....impressive day. What was interesting was he is known for his short game, and while he did well there his long game seemed better than in the past.
Bo was Bo....give him time and he will look good
Reilly looked alright...but IMO it was a lot on his receivers...they made him look good (not saying he looked bad)
Harris looked sharp...but I need to see him string multiple games together...he seems to go through highs and lows.
Jennings once again made things happen when there was not a lot there. He seems to simply put it up and things happen...but it happens enough that it is obviously more than simply taking a wild shot. There is something about his motion that just makes me feel like he is simply putting it out there....even though I know that is not the case.
ZC was showed up all game...he is going to need better than that in front of him or it will be a long season.
Durant looked overall good and would have had a lot better stats if not for a couple bad drops.
Glenn's short game was spot on but his longball was terrible. If he can improve that after a week of full practice he will look pretty good...Carter also did him no favors.
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:45 pm

depopulationINC wrote:

CAL - Burris
EDM - Ray
BC - Buck Pierce
SSK - Durant

MTL - Calvillo
TOR - Kerry Joseph
HAM - Glenn
WPG - Michael Bishop

It was a delight watching Ray....impressive day. What was interesting was he is known for his short game, and while he did well there his long game seemed better than in the past.
Bo was Bo....give him time and he will look good
Reilly looked alright...but IMO it was a lot on his receivers...they made him look good (not saying he looked bad)
Harris looked sharp...but I need to see him string multiple games together...he seems to go through highs and lows.
Jennings once again made things happen when there was not a lot there. He seems to simply put it up and things happen...but it happens enough that it is obviously more than simply taking a wild shot. There is something about his motion that just makes me feel like he is simply putting it out there....even though I know that is not the case.
ZC was showed up all game...he is going to need better than that in front of him or it will be a long season.
Durant looked overall good and would have had a lot better stats if not for a couple bad drops.
Glenn's short game was spot on but his longball was terrible. If he can improve that after a week of full practice he will look pretty good...Carter also did him no favors.

Corky & Glenn are secretly drooling at the thought of getting some of their monster WRs into open gap coverage (bomber specialty). If Carter can drag an OLB with him into man coverage (ie. no support from DBs or safety) he could have a field day on the boundaries.
Roosevelt & Bagg should also be able to take advantage of Rich Hall's "Half Way from Hell to High Water" defense.
Don't know if the rider o-line has the oomph to move the entire bomber middle against their will - but they'll be focusing on 2nd tier obliteration of Sam Hurl - and if they can generate some longish runs, bomber fans will be screaming louder than Don Trump at a playboy club!
All-Star

by Paolo X » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Oh I'll add Harris now to my list below of excellent current starting QBs so as to make for five of them in 2017.

Let's see if Glenn, Durant, and/or Collaros step it up after one or two more games.
All-Star

PreviousNext