QB's 2017

Re: QB's 2017

by BigJoeM » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:27 pm

With Burris's leg problem I see Harris start the year . Burris will have his contract incentive packed for the year depending on what he does and how is health is going forward but they will not cast him aside he is too much of a positive force for the team . Harris and Burris get along as well and will have 2017 as an opportunity to win it at home .

I think 2018 they bring in someone new to back up Harris possibly a young up and comer . I think Burris has one more year left in his body even if it's only as a back up .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

Re: QB's 2017

by Trips » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:33 pm

I think Burris will think otherwise about that.
Rookie
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:02 am

Re: QB's 2017

by PTBO Dave » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:59 pm

Grover wrote:I predict, (for no apparent reason :wink: )

Durant signs in TOR
Franklin is traded to SSK
Nichols stays in WPG
Ray to MTL with Milanovich, forfeit coach compensation


I think/hope Durant ends up in Toronto too . . . and can then stay healthy. I also agree that Ray would be a good fit with the Als as a part-time starter and part-time injured QB coach.

I'm not sure if the Esks are likely to trade Franklin to Regina after the way Jones left last season.

I also think Lulay ends up somewhere else . . . Toronto? Montreal? Regina? . . . not sure.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1631
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:17 am

Re: QB's 2017

by BigJoeM » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:06 pm

Trips wrote:I think Burris will think otherwise about that.


I guess I give Hank credit for winning and also give him credit knowing his next job is to make sure the torch is passed without a drop . I think he is now thinking of his future but has one more year left in the gas tank ( I hope ) .

He will be number one again next year if Harris falters or is injured he already agreed on that last year and he is a man of his word . I think he would want a little cash for his troubles though if he brings them a another cup which is only fair in 2017 . I say they keep him on in 2018 in some capacity other than playing and retire his number IMO .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

Re: QB's 2017

by slimjim2 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:08 am

BigJoeM wrote:
Trips wrote:I think Burris will think otherwise about that.


I guess I give Hank credit for winning and also give him credit knowing his next job is to make sure the torch is passed without a drop . I think he is now thinking of his future but has one more year left in the gas tank ( I hope ) .

He will be number one again next year if Harris falters or is injured he already agreed on that last year and he is a man of his word . I think he would want a little cash for his troubles though if he brings them a another cup which is only fair in 2017 . I say they keep him on in 2018 in some capacity other than playing and retire his number IMO .


If he had not won the Grey Cup and the MVP, I think he would definitely hang around for one more year but he should probably retire now or come back next year as the backup. Ottawa has a lot of salary tied up in three players, Burris, Harris and Chris Williams.
All-Star
 
Posts: 1987
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Re: QB's 2017

by QQ One-Nine » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:05 am

slimjim2 wrote:If he had not won the Grey Cup and the MVP, I think he would definitely hang around for one more year but he should probably retire now or come back next year as the backup. Ottawa has a lot of salary tied up in three players, Burris, Harris and Chris Williams.


Not to deviate from the position too much, but I'm wondering if Williams is back next year. Torn ACL in October? A 6-month recovery puts us just in time for camp. Might be optimistic. Maybe they bring him back at a reduced price due to the uncertainty as to his status.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 5662
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:41 pm

Re: QB's 2017

by PTBO Dave » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:47 am

QQ One-Nine wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:If he had not won the Grey Cup and the MVP, I think he would definitely hang around for one more year but he should probably retire now or come back next year as the backup. Ottawa has a lot of salary tied up in three players, Burris, Harris and Chris Williams.


Not to deviate from the position too much, but I'm wondering if Williams is back next year. Torn ACL in October? A 6-month recovery puts us just in time for camp. Might be optimistic. Maybe they bring him back at a reduced price due to the uncertainty as to his status.


I think Williams is going to be a FA, too. I wonder what interest he'll garner from around the league. He's always a danger when he touches the ball, but he's not the most sure-handed receiver in the league. Add in the injuries and high salary and I'm not sure how Ottawa will handle him.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1631
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:17 am

Re: QB's 2017

by Grover » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:08 am

QQ One-Nine wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:If he had not won the Grey Cup and the MVP, I think he would definitely hang around for one more year but he should probably retire now or come back next year as the backup. Ottawa has a lot of salary tied up in three players, Burris, Harris and Chris Williams.


Not to deviate from the position too much, but I'm wondering if Williams is back next year. Torn ACL in October? A 6-month recovery puts us just in time for camp. Might be optimistic. Maybe they bring him back at a reduced price due to the uncertainty as to his status.


To deviate even further! :P

IMHO, Williams was Harris's favorite go to receiver, as Ellingson was Hanks favorite.
If they plan on Harris as the starter, I would think that he would like to see Williams back.

That being said with Earnest Jackson, Ellingson and Williams all 1000 yard guys and all free agents,
One will have to be released, you cannot keep all 3, which one is the question.
Image
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 7772
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:35 am

Re: QB's 2017

by slimjim2 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:28 am

Grover wrote:
QQ One-Nine wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:If he had not won the Grey Cup and the MVP, I think he would definitely hang around for one more year but he should probably retire now or come back next year as the backup. Ottawa has a lot of salary tied up in three players, Burris, Harris and Chris Williams.


Not to deviate from the position too much, but I'm wondering if Williams is back next year. Torn ACL in October? A 6-month recovery puts us just in time for camp. Might be optimistic. Maybe they bring him back at a reduced price due to the uncertainty as to his status.


To deviate even further! :P

IMHO, Williams was Harris's favorite go to receiver, as Ellingson was Hanks favorite.
If they plan on Harris as the starter, I would think that he would like to see Williams back.

That being said with Earnest Jackson, Ellingson and Williams all 1000 yard guys and all free agents,
One will have to be released, you cannot keep all 3, which one is the question.


The priority is signing Jackson and Ellingson. Criner replaced Williams and made some incredible catches in the Grey Cup and in the East final, he may not have the blazing speed that Williams has but he looks like another 1,000 yard receiver. If Williams had not got injured I think they would have tried to re-sign him but it is a bit of a gamble to keep a guy that may or may not be as fast as he was and it's a long recovery period.
All-Star
 
Posts: 1987
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Re: QB's 2017

by BigJoeM » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:08 pm

Williams other role of punt returner was lost while he was healthy . Williams will not be resigned . Jackson and Ellingson are too important to the team .

Williams not resigning frees up lots of money for the other two and a defensive player resigns as well .

Harris will need to adapt without Williams .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

Re: QB's 2017

by bowl450 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:06 pm

PTBO Dave wrote:
Grover wrote:I predict, (for no apparent reason :wink: )

Durant signs in TOR
Franklin is traded to SSK
Nichols stays in WPG
Ray to MTL with Milanovich, forfeit coach compensation


I think/hope Durant ends up in Toronto too . . . and can then stay healthy. I also agree that Ray would be a good fit with the Als as a part-time starter and part-time injured QB coach.

I'm not sure if the Esks are likely to trade Franklin to Regina after the way Jones left last season.

I also think Lulay ends up somewhere else . . . Toronto? Montreal? Regina? . . . not sure.


If Franklin (25) is as good as they say and with Reilly's (32) style of play, why would Edmonton even consider trading Franklin, a star of the future ?
Reilly maybe ?
ask Toronto how this works out.
I can see the possibility of moving one of the 2 but defiantly not to the Riders ?
even though they have had dealings this past year, the players involved were not franchise players.
Veteran
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:41 pm

Re: QB's 2017

by nowhereman » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:47 pm

bowl450 wrote:
If Franklin (25) is as good as they say and with Reilly's (32) style of play, why would Edmonton even consider trading Franklin, a star of the future ?
Reilly maybe ?
ask Toronto how this works out.
I can see the possibility of moving one of the 2 but defiantly not to the Riders ?
even though they have had dealings this past year, the players involved were not franchise players.

Franklin is only under contract for next year and he wants to start and make starting money, and if he has NFL aspirations, needs to get his resume started sooner rather than later (not happening for awhile with Reilly there, and probably doesn't just want to be an insurance policy), if he goes FA in 2018 Hervey gets nothing for him. Depends who comes up with the best offer...and in light of the situation, nobody's mortgaging the farm for it.
User avatar
Starter
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:05 pm

Re: QB's 2017

by ArgoT » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:00 pm

We are in a mess.
The cupboard is definitely bare.
Ray has been done for a couple of years now.
The team and I blame Barker and Milanovich, made huge mistakes in first letting Collaros then Harris go.
Now with the stupid trade for Willy, who knows what plan B or C may be?
Like everyone else out there in the Franklin trade hunt, that's one possibility.
I am not sold on Nichols and Durant.
The latter is a few years younger than Ray but still on the down side of his career.
Would remind me of the horrible Joseph signing when we had Bishop?
All-Star
 
Posts: 4488
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: QB's 2017

by bowl450 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:40 pm

nowhereman wrote:
bowl450 wrote:
If Franklin (25) is as good as they say and with Reilly's (32) style of play, why would Edmonton even consider trading Franklin, a star of the future ?
Reilly maybe ?
ask Toronto how this works out.
I can see the possibility of moving one of the 2 but defiantly not to the Riders ?
even though they have had dealings this past year, the players involved were not franchise players.

Franklin is only under contract for next year and he wants to start and make starting money, and if he has NFL aspirations, needs to get his resume started sooner rather than later (not happening for awhile with Reilly there, and probably doesn't just want to be an insurance policy), if he goes FA in 2018 Hervey gets nothing for him. Depends who comes up with the best offer...and in light of the situation, nobody's mortgaging the farm for it.


I can see Reilly being potentially moved because of age and contract. ?
the intangible is that Franklin is unproven but 6 years younger and showing a lot of potential ?
the but factor is that potential does not always translate into success.
Veteran
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:41 pm

Re: QB's 2017

by Argofan_1000 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:20 pm

ArgoT wrote:We are in a mess.
The cupboard is definitely bare.
Ray has been done for a couple of years now.
The team and I blame Barker and Milanovich, made huge mistakes in first letting Collaros then Harris go.
Now with the stupid trade for Willy, who knows what plan B or C may be?
Like everyone else out there in the Franklin trade hunt, that's one possibility.
I am not sold on Nichols and Durant.
The latter is a few years younger than Ray but still on the down side of his career.
Would remind me of the horrible Joseph signing when we had Bishop?


Argos in this league with so many FA's can recover quickly. Also I think, GC champs can loose what they have in 1 season because of it. If FA is going to stand in future then roster size in the upcoming CBA's have to increase. 5 more at $65/yr is $325,000.

Willy's game film must be assessed until FA period starts. If they don't like what they see, then they try to sign Durant, and Willy becomes a backup under a new contract and Ricky becomes a player/coach. They could if they wanted to work a new contract with Willy right now . If he won't sign then they release him.

Also during FA period, Argos must be fully active picking up the best OL and DB's they can sign. We saw Calgary's OL, teams need to be near NFL caliber but faster to make the CFL game work. sprinkle in a wideout to give Argos QB's a target and sign your own FA before Feb if you like the work they had shown. They also have the tenth pick so they should be able to draft something pretty decent. sounds easy doesn't it, ArgoT
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:38 am

PreviousNext

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests
cron