QB's 2017

Re: QB's 2017

by Paolo X » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:23 pm

Well along the lines as Lyle stated in the game thread, and as I observed as well, Durant has a strong arm but sure has a odd throwing motion. It is as if Durant's low release starts in the shot put position and then he slings the ball sidearm as if the ball is being launched via a catapult. The ball has a tight spiral and still gets there 2/3 of the time, but the throw does not have the snap to it like that of the five best QBs in the CFL as referenced below.

I have not seen issues with his passes being batted down either, but certainly there would seem to be more opportunity to do so with such a low release.

The Montreal receivers still get a lot of YAC even with such an elongated throwing motion, and so something must be solid with regards to his placement of this throws.

Durant still is completing about 2/3 of his passes, so I would not count him out as does Lyle though I would wonder about his ability to drive the ball downfield later in the game so as to keep the defences from ganging up on him.

Other QBs who struggled later in prior seasons had that same issue such that defences had a field day in the second halves.
All-Star

by Paolo X » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:16 pm

Collaros looks like the weakest link amongst active starting QBs, but consider Hamilton's weak receiving corps and awful running game as well. I wonder if Hamilton will make some adjustments should they reach four losses? Their next two games are at home.
All-Star

by brianjoxx » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:59 pm

Paolo X wrote:Well along the lines as Lyle stated in the game thread, and as I observed as well, Durant has a strong arm but sure has a odd throwing motion. It is as if Durant's low release starts in the shot put position and then he slings the ball sidearm as if the ball is being launched via a catapult. The ball has a tight spiral and still gets there 2/3 of the time, but the throw does not have the snap to it like that of the five best QBs in the CFL as referenced below.

I have not seen issues with his passes being batted down either, but certainly there would seem to be more opportunity to do so with such a low release.

The Montreal receivers still get a lot of YAC even with such an elongated throwing motion, and so something must be solid with regards to his placement of this throws.

Durant still is completing about 2/3 of his passes, so I would not count him out as does Lyle though I would wonder about his ability to drive the ball downfield later in the game so as to keep the defences from ganging up on him.

Other QBs who struggled later in prior seasons had that same issue such that defences had a field day in the second halves.

Nice well said BUT I'd listen to Lyle for sure. Like it or not Jones is no dummy.
Starter

by JoyceBenjamin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:41 am

So who will be the best this year?
our essay writer service can help you with your homework task
Practice Squad

by Paolo X » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:06 pm

JoyceBenjamin wrote:So who will be the best this year?

It's way too early, but I have my eye on Reilly, Ray, Jennings, Mitchell, and Harris in no particular order.

I'm thankful we have five such healthy starting quarterbacks of such quality so early in the season.
All-Star

by brihind88 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Paolo X wrote:Collaros looks like the weakest link amongst active starting QBs, but consider Hamilton's weak receiving corps and awful running game as well. I wonder if Hamilton will make some adjustments should they reach four losses? Their next two games are at home.

If I was Collaros, I would start practicing field goals.
All-Star

by Paolo X » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:51 am

brihind88 wrote:
Paolo X wrote:Collaros looks like the weakest link amongst active starting QBs, but consider Hamilton's weak receiving corps and awful running game as well. I wonder if Hamilton will make some adjustments should they reach four losses? Their next two games are at home.

If I was Collaros, I would start practicing field goals.

You've come to the right place. :lol:

I've been kicking again more like in the days of yore one year after surgery to my non-kicking knee, and I tell you I'm good again from 40 yards and in and will be drop-kicking again more reliably before too long plus better strategic punting.

Bring on Zach Collaros - I'll take him on for such duties so as to be able to make a roster to give sorely needed rest to any given kicker :P and throw off the special teams anytime I am in there with the likes of open field kicks, but give me another month to train please. :cowboy:

Let's make it happen! :D
All-Star

by brihind88 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:57 am

I am not putting all the blame on Collaros.

Cardboard O-Line and poor offence direction is the big thing.

I DID NOT intend to disrespect him with that FG joke.

Hope they can turn things around. He is getting beat up right now, and will be injured again .
All-Star

by Paolo X » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:20 pm

brihind88 wrote:I am not putting all the blame on Collaros.

Cardboard O-Line and poor offence direction is the big thing.

I DID NOT intend to disrespect him with that FG joke.

Hope they can turn things around. He is getting beat up right now, and will be injured again .

A cardboard offensive line also would be or is evident in such a poor running game in Hamilton.

Let's see how they adjust. If they don't adjust offensively or do so ineffectively, and we see much of the same including Collaros hurrying on too many throws because also he must throw because he has no running threat, well then I'll agree with you more.

And without enough chances to drive the ball downfield with also accuracy, Collaros would face the same challenges as I think would also Durant as noted below. Collaros would be faced with defenses ganging up more and more on his offence into the game.

As for the field goal kicking, my comments and offer stand so set it up the showdown with Collaros for August! :P
All-Star

by Paolo X » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:15 pm

Well whatever we were discussing in a prior BC game thread about Lulay and a suspect arm can be scratched now. Wow! I figure for next season with Jennings healthy there is no way Lulay is not lured away from BC with major money.

His last season with major action was 2015 when he played in 10 games and threw for almost 2000 yards.

We have now 6 quality starting QBs in the CFL with two of them in BC.
All-Star

by Paolo X » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Hamilton's issues, and by extension those of Collaros include a below average offensive line, a subpar running game, and overlooked also in my opinion no tall receiving threat (6-3 or taller and Tyms does not come close to cutting it now) who can stretch the field that much more and out-leap defensive backs such that Collaros can work the offence on a larger field.

The General Manager needs to work deals for a new running back, shuffle that offensive line, and bring in some taller big-play receiver. Then Tyms either will be pushed to perform or can find his way out the door.

Collaros is not the problem in Hamilton in my opinion, and I would reserve judgement on him until he has better people in place in those three areas of his offence.
All-Star

by Paolo X » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:14 pm

As is unusual, I don't see any of the starting QB's as awful at all. For those who go back with the CFL well beyond me, when has that ever been the case!?

One can't heap legitimately the blame on Collaros, and Nichols' problem after playing so well on the road was a bad play call and poor decision in his own half of the field that late in the game.

Jennings is down and Lulay is every bit a starter too, so I'm hoping no one else is hurt the way these games are going so far this season.
All-Star

Previous