How do the Argos get 25000 fans?

Re: How do the Argos get another 10,000 fans

by slimjim2 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:03 am

-Hammer- wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:It is a different world, even if you live in Florida or Richmond Hill you can listen to TSN 1150 on the internet, "reach" doesn't matter.
The internet has changed everything and TSN needs to make CFL broadcasts available to everyone.

As much as we'd all love to see a wide open live stream of all games (myself included), this doesn't help things and the economics of it are unclear enough to not make that jump.

The reason is, people who don't watch the CFL aren't going to seek out a live stream to watch it, and people who do and find their access restricted (because they don't have a cable package and thus TSN GO) instead find a pirate stream. The biggest disadvantage of streaming is that it's a lot harder to coax someone in with a click add, then someone who is channel surfing.

It's also a lot harder to track your viewership then with cable, and thus sell it to advertisers.

However, the main reason is, the second you offer a free full live stream, people start to cut their cable. Heck, if all sports were free and legally streamed over the internet, I'd cut my cable in a heartbeat. It's for this reason, you likely have an agreement with the cable providers who are paying your money for the rights to your channel. They don't want to let go of it, which means that they are likely overpaying for it, for your benefit. Live sports and an aging population, really are the last thing that are keeping people holding onto their cable subscriptions.

So why does it work so well on ESPN3 ?
I watch CFL games that are streamed on ESPN 3 and they show ads just like they do on TSN except when TSN breaks for an ad, ESPN inserts their own ads. It's not exactly "free" because you are paying for it through the internet monthly fee.
They are losing half a million cable/satellite viewers a year in Canada.
Rogers has the stand alone sports package, you can watch the Jays etc without having a cable/satelite.
Bell should be doing the same thing with TSN.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/innovat ... s-channel/
All-Star

by Argofan_1000 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:32 pm

watch how big and fast Wilder is at running back. He should entertain

http://www.argonauts.ca/2017/04/27/jame ... -april-27/
Veteran

by TravelPat1 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:09 pm

Well - I heard my first Argos ad of the year today while working out in the gym in my building. They had a Bell owned Toronto radio station Virgin Radio 99.9 playing and they were advertising - are you ready for it............

'Flutie Flex Packs'.

Apparently one of the Argos games in July is going to be a tribute to the Flutie teams from 20 years ago - and you can get tickets to that game and two other games for as low as $84. And get a Flutie Bobblehead if purchased by May 3.

I know Bobblehead promos work well for the Jays - will a Flutie Bobblehead work for the Agos?

http://www.argonauts.ca/flex-packs/
Last edited by TravelPat1 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:19 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:Well - I heard my first Argos ad of the year today while working out in the gym in my building. They had a Bell owned Toronto radio station Virgin Radio 99.9 playing and they were advertising - are you ready for it............

'Flutie Flex Packs'.

Apparently one of the Argos games in July is going to be a tribute to the Flutie teams from 20 years ago - and you can get tickets to that game and two other games for as low as $84. And get a Flutie Bobblehead if purchased by May 3.

I know Bobblehead promos work well for the Jays - will a Flutie Bobblehead wok for the Agos?

I don`t believe it. Not the ads, but that you work out. (old joke)
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:42 am

TravelPat1 wrote:Well - I heard my first Argos ad of the year today while working out in the gym in my building. They had a Bell owned Toronto radio station Virgin Radio 99.9 playing and they were advertising - are you ready for it............

'Flutie Flex Packs'.

I know Bobblehead promos work well for the Jays - will a Flutie Bobblehead work for the Agos?

Seems a great way to promote a Monday night game which would have been a hard sell, you get the bobblehead for the Ottawa game and two more games. I checked on line and Tickets in the lower bowl around $32, seems they are not selling the East Side Upper Deck for season tickets or flex packs this year.
I hope they aren't thinking about "tarping off" the upper deck this year
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:06 pm

slimjim2 wrote:I hope they aren't thinking about "tarping off" the upper deck this year

Why?
All-Star

by vanhalendlrband » Tue May 02, 2017 11:50 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:I hope they aren't thinking about "tarping off" the upper deck this year

Why?

I say Argos are gonna have much better attendance this year with proper home dates.

Not one Tuesday or Wednesday game.

1 Monday game
1 Thursday game

The rest are all Saturday Sunday. If the Argos are even half decent it will push attendance well over 20,000 and if they can win more than 5 games a few sellouts too.

People in Toronto will soon be realizing this season that the Argos are nothing to scoff at.
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Wed May 03, 2017 5:54 am

vanhalendlrband wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:

Why?

I say Argos are gonna have much better attendance this year with proper home dates.

Not one Tuesday or Wednesday game.

1 Monday game
1 Thursday game

The rest are all Saturday Sunday. If the Argos are even half decent it will push attendance well over 20,000 and if they can win more than 5 games a few sellouts too.

People in Toronto will soon be realizing this season that the Argos are nothing to scoff at.

This would be nice, but realistically, without a Grey Cup at the end of the season and without the new-stadium shine, I think it will be considered a victory to match last year's attendance. If they can even increase attendance by 500-1000 a game, it'd be a huge positive.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by Grover » Wed May 03, 2017 8:23 pm

Here are some 2016 attendance stats

Paulo Senra‏ @paulosenra 2m2 minutes ago
#CFL TV ratings rose 3.5% overall in 2016, 7% among women and 8% among 18- to 49-year-olds compared with the previous year. #BringItIn

Paulo Senra‏ @paulosenra 6m6 minutes ago
# of 18-34 yr-olds identifying as #CFL fans grew by more than 3% last year, fastest growth in that demo among Canada's pro leagues. #BringItIn

Paulo Senra‏ @paulosenra 3h3 hours ago
And respectfully, female fans of the #CFL are not "fringe" ... they make up almost 40% of our fans.
Last edited by Grover on Thu May 04, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:51 pm

PTBO Dave wrote:This would be nice, but realistically, without a Grey Cup at the end of the season and without the new-stadium shine, I think it will be considered a victory to match last year's attendance. If they can even increase attendance by 500-1000 a game, it'd be a huge positive.

Well said.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:17 am

Grover wrote:Here are some 2016 attendance stats

Paulo Senra‏ @paulosenra 2m2 minutes ago
#CFL TV ratings rose 3.5% overall in 2016, 7% among women and 8% among 18- to 49-year-olds compared with the previous year. #BringItIn

Paulo Senra‏ @paulosenra 6m6 minutes ago
# of 18-34 yr-olds identifying as #CFL fans grew by more than 3% last year, fastest growth in that demo among Canada's pro leagues. #BringItIn

Paulo Senra‏ @paulosenra 3h3 hours ago
And respectfully, female fans of the #CFL are not "fringe" ... they make up almost 40% of our fans.

Yes, they have to sell the sport to women and millenials but that's a tough job in Toronto.

http://3downnation.com/2017/05/04/new-c ... illenials/

As for TV viewership up? they spun that one, that's based on one year. Stats can be misleading, yes up 3% from one year but down from past years. If you drop from 700k to 540k two years ago that's almost a 22% drop but then the ratings rise to 560k so they report an increase.
It's been discussed on here before - people are "cutting the cord" - a million viewers gone in two years.
Less viewers on cable/sattelite, TSN needs to stream to non-subscribers.
This ties in with young women and the millenial males - the CFL product needs to be seen and the future is the internet.
All-Star

by Argofan_1000 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Bring it in.jpg

This is the young girl in the CFL "Bring it in campaign"

CFL should fly her in to each team and introduce her to kickoff this campaign. Combine it with some other girls stuff and I will bring my Grand daughters and Daughters.

This could only help in promoting the CFL and flag football for girls. I like it and it could only grow the sport

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/05/05/oleary-cfl ... -campaign/
Veteran

by Neely2005 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:53 pm

drummer_god wrote:Sara Moore and Michael Copeland need to go. They are clueless and managed to alienate the few fans the Argos do have who were willing to pay for tickets.

I disagree. They've done some good things and some bad things but they're doing the right things now. It will take a few years to turn the organization around and it would only hurt the organization to start all over again.
"ALL-TIME RECORDS

Grey Cup Wins:

16- Toronto Argonauts
14- Edmonton Eskimos
10- Winnipeg Blue Bombers
8- Hamilton Tiger-Cats
7- Ottawa Rough Riders
7- Montreal Alouettes
7- Calgary Stampeders
6- B.C. Lions
4- Saskatchewan Roughriders"

http://www.cfl.ca/2010/12/02/by-the-num ... cup-glory/
All-Star

by Neely2005 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:58 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
Argofan_1000 wrote:So no more live broadcasts with TSN 1050 with Mike Hogan.

It is a different world these days with TSNGO on laptops, cells phones, tablets.

I don't listen to TSN 1050 anymore as they have zero CFL talk and have switched to TSN 1150 Hamilton. The ratings are increasing for this station from Toronto and have did quite well. I get this station in Richmond Hill so it has quite a reach.

Hogan would be a good fit in Hamilton on TSN 1150 and they should pick him up

It is a different world, even if you live in Florida or Richmond Hill you can listen to TSN 1150 on the internet, "reach" doesn't matter.
The internet has changed everything and TSN needs to make CFL broadcasts available to everyone.

It matters if you want to listen on your car radio.
"ALL-TIME RECORDS

Grey Cup Wins:

16- Toronto Argonauts
14- Edmonton Eskimos
8- Hamilton Tiger-Cats
7- Ottawa Rough Riders
7- Montreal Alouettes
7- Calgary Stampeders
6- B.C. Lions

All-Star

by Neely2005 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:01 pm

-Hammer- wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:It is a different world, even if you live in Florida or Richmond Hill you can listen to TSN 1150 on the internet, "reach" doesn't matter.

As much as we'd all love to see a wide open live stream of all games (myself included), this doesn't help things and the economics of it are unclear enough to not make that jump.

The reason is, people who don't watch the CFL aren't going to seek out a live stream to watch it, and people who do and find their access restricted (because they don't have a cable package and thus TSN GO) instead find a pirate stream. The biggest disadvantage of streaming is that it's a lot harder to coax someone in with a click add, then someone who is channel surfing.

It's also a lot harder to track your viewership then with cable, and thus sell it to advertisers.

However, the main reason is, the second you offer a free full live stream, people start to cut their cable. Heck, if all sports were free and legally streamed over the internet, I'd cut my cable in a heartbeat. It's for this reason, you likely have an agreement with the cable providers who are paying your money for the rights to your channel. They don't want to let go of it, which means that they are likely overpaying for it, for your benefit. Live sports and an aging population, really are the last thing that are keeping people holding onto their cable subscriptions.

Rogers has the SportsNet Now App which is free if you subscribe to Sportsnet on cable or satellite but it can also be purchased as a standalone if you don't subscribe to SportsNet.
"ALL-TIME RECORDS

Grey Cup Wins:

16- Toronto Argonauts
14- Edmonton Eskimos
8- Hamilton Tiger-Cats
7- Ottawa Rough Riders
7- Montreal Alouettes
7- Calgary Stampeders
6- B.C. Lions