Hello World

Re: Hello World

by raymarkca » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:39 pm

There is always money out there. If there is no money then why would your city be prepared to spend millions to (billions is bid is successful) to try for another Olympics? CalgaryNext from what I understand was willing to put up a nice chunk of money. My knowledge of the situation is limited however so please hold back on cussing me if I am wrong. They simply asked for the government to put up a share (whatever percent that was). Now perhaps that vision was too much, but you can still build a decent stadium and arena for much less than Next's vision, even if it not as flashy as Next was. Once again you can do it now and be prepared to move into new digs before the old one becomes obsolete, or you can wait till you have no other choice. At which point the cost will be significantly more.
Life is blog, or maybe it is like a box of chocolates. Exercise your mind as well as your body.
Warning subject matter may require thinking outside the box.
Visit
http://www.raymark.ca
Rookie

by RedandWhite » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:54 pm

...inserting the olympics into the equation is a different ball of wax as the feds and the province become paying partners in the whole endeavour...without the olympics it's all on the taxpayers in the city (maybe a bit of provincial money thrown in there, but not much), and it's pretty clear that Calgarians don't want to foot the bill for that, or an NHL arena either....

...besides, who cares if our stadium is old and Calgarians like it? does that affect any other viewer on TV? did US interest in our league skyrocket because Winnipeg got a new stadium? did free agents leave the NFL and fly to Regina in droves because of TaylorField v2.0?

...I think a whole lot of mis-guided importance is placed on facilities...but that's just my opinion...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by brianjoxx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:54 pm

raymarkca wrote:Hello Brian.

The stadiums out east have already been updated. I am not sure what you mean by your post. Perhaps Montreal could use a new stadium but they have at least made quite a few upgrades to Molson stadium. Ottawa, Toronto and Hamilton are good to go.

Really!! Look at old tiny Molson stadium Max 22,000. Possible MLB return so seating for 35,000 min required. Ottawa fixed up sort of 24,000 max???, Toronto no real home, 22,000 max but only 15,000 top seats. This is Pro football, bring in the young, old, everyone. Calgary 34,000 nice location and good viewing seats. Could build a palace if others kick up there stadiums.

Perhaps Molson could be upgraded, perhaps???? or just build a top quality stadium.
Some build good stadiums and looked forward for 30 years use.
Others built or borrow stadiums have tiny sellouts keeping some away with high ticket prices. So Homework required. Cheers Ray :cowboy:
Starter

by raymarkca » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Because those cities really need a 35k seat stadium? Currently as we stand there is no need for 35k seat stadiums in those cities. At least Ottawa, Toronto and Hamition have newer built stadiums with "comfortable" seating (better than benches) and good amenities. Those stadiums are perfectly fine for now, and built recently so they are in good shape. Ya Montreal maybe can use an upgrade but they have at least put the efforts into building up the stadium from where it was.
Life is blog, or maybe it is like a box of chocolates. Exercise your mind as well as your body.
Visit
Rookie

by brihind88 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:19 pm

BCCFLFAN wrote:
brihind88 wrote:
raymarkca wrote:I am a long time CFL fan, but new to this site. Thanks to all that maintain this site allowing fans around the world to find a common place to get together. I will keep this post short.

Great looking new stadium in Regina, CONGRATZ. Now if only Calgary can get it together and build a new stadium that would go a long way to giving the league more credibility overall. Where exactly are negotiations there? Last I heard CalgaryNext got tossed.

Would love to hear some comments on my blog on CFL football bashing. Anytime you are on a forum somewhere and there is some guy talking trash about this league feel free to link them to my page. Since I can not post URL's to my blog you can find the address attached to my profile. From the home page it will be easy to find.

Nice to hear from you.

BTW, we have it together just fine here in Calgary without advice from others.

Have a question, don't take it the wrong way, but what is the lifespan of McMahon and can it or will it be upgraded to improve on its lifespan.

Why would I take that the wrong way ?

Very good questions.

Not sure if it has a life span. It works as long as it works.

All I know, is it has had major renovations as needed.

As for future renovations , here is the issue. Who pays for them ?

U of C will not, as they say " you want upgrades ? you pay for it.

The Stamps are the major tenant. They could pay for future renos, but that is like renovating the house of a landlord.

The office / film / training area was unfit.

The Stamps built an office admin and training complex next to the stadium that they own.

Next time you watch a Stamps home game, you will see it in the upper left hand corner of the tv next to and above the scoreboard.

McMahon was a marvel. Built in 1960 in 3 months. Although much smaller.
All-Star

by brianjoxx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:42 pm

raymarkca wrote:Because those cities really need a 35k seat stadium? Currently as we stand there is no need for 35k seat stadiums in those cities. At least Ottawa, Toronto and Hamition have newer built stadiums with "comfortable" seating (better than benches) and good amenities. Those stadiums are perfectly fine for now, and built recently so they are in good shape. Ya Montreal maybe can use an upgrade but they have at least put the efforts into building up the stadium from where it was.

Nonsense!! You need to develop users by attracting all to games. Lets say you want a NHL
team today and have a nice well respected city. You have a beautiful 12,000 seat area.
Your changes of getting a team are zero or less.

Cfl wants to grow with the times. Increase salary cap to 50 million to boost tv commercial ratings. Become a want to be place. Nice. As a owner you want this for sure.
How in the heck can this small small tiny stadiums compete. THEY can't as Montreal and Ottawa have proven. Expand and bring in the customers or limited all CFL teams as small time operations. Gee's guy.
Starter

by Jabs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:42 am

RedandWhite wrote:...inserting the olympics into the equation is a different ball of wax as the feds and the province become paying partners in the whole endeavour...without the olympics it's all on the taxpayers in the city (maybe a bit of provincial money thrown in there, but not much), and it's pretty clear that Calgarians don't want to foot the bill for that, or an NHL arena either....

...besides, who cares if our stadium is old and Calgarians like it? does that affect any other viewer on TV? did US interest in our league skyrocket because Winnipeg got a new stadium? did free agents leave the NFL and fly to Regina in droves because of TaylorField v2.0?

...I think a whole lot of mis-guided importance is placed on facilities...but that's just my opinion...

Dollah! Dollah! Dollah! It's all about the Benjamins! One would think Calgarians would get that.
Practice Squad

by raymarkca » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:16 am

brianjoxx wrote:
raymarkca wrote:Because those cities really need a 35k seat stadium? Currently as we stand there is no need for 35k seat stadiums in those cities. At least Ottawa, Toronto and Hamition have newer built stadiums with "comfortable" seating (better than benches) and good amenities. Those stadiums are perfectly fine for now, and built recently so they are in good shape. Ya Montreal maybe can use an upgrade but they have at least put the efforts into building up the stadium from where it was.

Nonsense!! You need to develop users by attracting all to games. Lets say you want a NHL
team today and have a nice well respected city. You have a beautiful 12,000 seat area.

Cfl wants to grow with the times. Increase salary cap to 50 million to boost tv commercial ratings. Become a want to be place. Nice. As a owner you want this for sure.
How in the heck can this small small tiny stadiums compete. THEY can't as Montreal and Ottawa have proven. Expand and bring in the customers or limited all CFL teams as small time operations. Gee's guy.

Dude 35k stadiums in those cities would just have more empty seats. At this time those stadiums are fine in size. When they start selling out every game with backload of fans wanting tickets then we can have this chat again and I would even be here supporting larger stadiums. As far as quality of stadium, seats, amenities and all that goes those stadiums are fine.
Visit
Rookie

by brianjoxx » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:38 pm

raymarkca wrote:
brianjoxx wrote:

Dude 35k stadiums in those cities would just have more empty seats. At this time those stadiums are fine in size. When they start selling out every game with backload of fans wanting tickets then we can have this chat again and I would even be here supporting larger stadiums. As far as quality of stadium, seats, amenities and all that goes those stadiums are fine.

Wrong dud. I've completed some major looks at stadiums over the last few years.
Again here is the deal.There is a big difference between new stadiums that help the owners make more cash AND FAN FRIENDLY stadiums.

Soccer in Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver is out drawing the CFL BUT BUT this is just the start
of soccer in north America. It is projected to increase buy huge numbers over the next 10 years. White caps Draw 25,000 regularly, Impact same or more. Toronto 26,000 and more
as big demand coming. Agree keep them small around 32,000 to 36,000. Not 100,000.
User friendly to encourage a culture. That be CFL or MLS
As Canadians we want to compete with in best. Lets not sell our selfs short.

Look at the great stadiums out west. There looking forward. Winners

What I'd recommend is user friendly?????? Okay reasonable, prices for tickets, Beer and Wine, Good cheaper food, good deals, Little flexibility by staff, Small beer line ups, AND washrooms, with entertainment. Bring in the youth or everyone for a great experience, at prices they can afford. Volume equals more profit long haul. Did I mention WASHROOMS.

If stadiums are build from tax payers money, then all must be considered. Soccer, football, college, high school, entertainment, official sanctioned games for use.
35,000 minimum. Cost would be 20% more then 24,000.

If Burke wants a place for the elite. Then built it. Good luck.
Visited Edmonton's new hockey palace. Not user friendly but owners cashing in big time.
Good for him but doesn't help Joe Fan.

I've visited all 8 CFL cities for games EXCEPT Ottawa. Congratulations to the western cities
for great vision and support. What two eastern CFL teams have collapsed over the past 20 or so years. Which two eastern teams are in trouble today. WELL lets follow them or maybe, maybe, changes things up.

Check the new stadium in Orlando which I visited lately. Super nice. Google

Cheers! enough already!!!!!!!!
Starter

by RedandWhite » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:32 pm

Jabs wrote:
RedandWhite wrote:...inserting the olympics into the equation is a different ball of wax as the feds and the province become paying partners in the whole endeavour...without the olympics it's all on the taxpayers in the city (maybe a bit of provincial money thrown in there, but not much), and it's pretty clear that Calgarians don't want to foot the bill for that, or an NHL arena either....

Dollah! Dollah! Dollah! It's all about the Benjamins! One would think Calgarians would get that.

...we all appreciate your insightful and stunning opinion...
Site Staff

by RedandWhite » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:32 pm

...my damn sarcasm button is broke again...
Site Staff

by depopulationINC » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:13 pm

RedandWhite wrote:...my damn sarcasm button is broke again...

Well kudos to you for not knocking the "Benjamins" reference. Should it not be "All about the Borden's"
All-Star

by RedandWhite » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:04 pm

...didn't need to be specific when the whole thing is a steaming pile....
Site Staff

by raymarkca » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:08 pm

LOL @ Cheers Enough. You keep ranting about on gobbly gook, over looking simple facts. I you want to stop yakking about nothing than Ill be happy to stop answering you. All that blabber and it is still wrong. I love the CFL but the facts are that the Ontario cities do not draw enough on a regular basis (at the moment) to warrent a 35k seat stadium. That the plain and simple facts. The stadiums as is are nice, new builds and they work fine for the markets they in. Keep babbling about nothing and i will reply. If you want it to stop then....feel free to stop babbling.
Visit
Rookie

by Cool » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:50 pm

depopulationINC wrote:
RedandWhite wrote:...my damn sarcasm button is broke again...

Well kudos to you for not knocking the "Benjamins" reference. Should it not be "All about the Borden's"

:thup:
Pull Together everyone
All-Star

Previous