Als get a private jet

Re: Als get a private jet

by yougottabekidding » Fri May 19, 2017 5:19 pm

Mightygoose wrote:Maybe I’m reading thing wrong but I hope nobody here is trying to suggest that using a private charter as opposed to commercial is actually saving the team money?

Unless the Als have a reserve of jet fuel under Molson Stadium or they have a licensed pilot or two employed or their paying next to nothing to use the plane there’s no way I see it possible.

Otherwise, why wouldn’t have every team tried to use one when the league was nearly out of business in the 90s?

A charter deal with a company in return for sponsorship could potentially save a team some cash. Assuming a team spends what, $30,000 cash on the average return trip ($400 x 75 seats) that's roughly $300,000 for the year (low probably, but just for the sake of argument) in "basic" team travel. So most CFL teams have a wide variety of corporate sponsorship packages ranging in price from $5,000 to $250,000 that include, tickets, spiffs, exposure at the park in programmes, other marketing/advertising and even jersey patches so maybe this air carrier gets a whole bunch of that kind of value and some cash in exchange for flights...could be a good deal for both.

I see this is my 500th post too. I get a cake or something for that, right?
Veteran

by HfxTC » Fri May 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Another nicety is they have extra space they can offer the team's beat guys to travel to away games at no expense to their employers. That would help coverage.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by Lyle B. Style » Fri May 19, 2017 6:30 pm

Think this is a great idea. Obviously the Als new "carrier" was sold on the idea of subsidized sponsorship of the team so that the amount the Als spend on air travel is around the same (or slightly more for the convenience) as flying commercial - with all the waits, inspections, crying children, crying adults (some rider fans have learned how to buy air travel).
Winnipeg Jets have their own charter aircraft but obviously there are mediocre players on the Jets paid more than the bombers entire player budget. (a little hobo named Tobias Enstrom gets $5.1 million guaranteed which is more than the bombers budget)
David Thompson, the Toronto based billionaire is also partners with Mark Shenkarow in the Jets so his heft allows the Jets to use a charter aircraft! :cowboy:
All-Star

by ro1313 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Mightygoose wrote:Maybe I’m reading thing wrong but I hope nobody here is trying to suggest that using a private charter as opposed to commercial is actually saving the team money?

Unless the Als have a reserve of jet fuel under Molson Stadium or they have a licensed pilot or two employed or their paying next to nothing to use the plane there’s no way I see it possible.

Otherwise, why wouldn’t have every team tried to use one when the league was nearly out of business in the 90s?

A flight from Montreal runs around 300$ Multiply that for 75 people and you are at 22,500
Then figure it’s a night game that finishes at 10:30 players gotta shower change eat, and its now too late for a flight home so they have to put up those 75 people in a hotel for the night so you are talking another 7500 bucks

A 737-300 burns about 750 gallons of Jet A1 fuel an hour
At roughly 4 bucks a gallon that’s 3000$ an hour so a return Montreal Toronto flight will cost about 6000 for fuel. Now lets say they triple that to cover pilots and fight attendants and maintenance so we are at 18,000
18,000 compared to 30,000….And that is if they triple the price..could be double or maybe even at cost in exchange for advertising and what not….

A 737 holds 135 people, they have 60 empty seats but due to the size of the players and the amount of equipment they have to bring....lets say 25... They can offer that to fans and bring in a few bucks more

Yeah they are saving money

Come to think of it...Last year for the final game of the season in Hamilton, they had 50 seats available on a charter that they sold for 350$ That's 17,500. For every game they do that, it pretty much costs the team nothing

Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Fri May 19, 2017 7:20 pm

That's on a Toronto Flight. On a BC flight, tickets are 1000.00
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by Lyle B. Style » Fri May 19, 2017 8:27 pm

HfxTC wrote:That's on a Toronto Flight. On a BC flight, tickets are 1000.00

Is $1000 the so-called rack air-rate? ie. the rate by which airlines post as their maximum rate for minimal lead time booking?

If so I suspect the rates by which airlines charge teams are calculated at various discount schedules, especially if one airline is granted the right to be the official CFL carrier.

CFL teams (and the league) employ travel planners amongst their office staff. These folks are charged with arranging flights, hotels, food services and other ancillary services teams require. So I suspect most air tickets are discounted anywhere from 15% to 40% depending on lead time provided and expected payment time on invoices (ie. 5 days, 30 days, 60 days, etc.). Same principle holds for hotel rooms. In fact many teams will shop for hotels that are willing to contra (aka trade) hotel space for promotion on the team's radio broadcasts, team programs, home game announcements, etc.
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Fri May 19, 2017 10:50 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
Mightygoose wrote:According to the article. The Als are the only team that are using a private charter.

The Alouettes become the first team in the CFL to have it’s own plane, as the same Boeing 737-300 airplane will be specially configured to accommodate the entire team, as well as all the necessary equipment for the team’s road games.

Other teams must be using commercial and from my background in group travel that have compared charter and commercial, there is no way a private charter is less than 50 pax flying commercial. A cross continental charter on a 737 will be 6 figures easily and that's before taxes, fuel surcharges etc...

Articles can be wrong. I'm sure that Ottawa uses charter aircraft too, they were using Canada North last year.
But probably not a full time dedicated aircraft for the team.

Yup. And multiple teams do this. BC has for some time. The uniqueness is essentially keeping the same plane and having team colors...which is probably a CFL first and pretty sweet. They are essentially leasing a plane vs chartering...which is what other tams do.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sat May 20, 2017 12:34 am

Lyle B. Style wrote:
HfxTC wrote:That's on a Toronto Flight. On a BC flight, tickets are 1000.00

Is $1000 the so-called rack air-rate? ie. the rate by which airlines post as their maximum rate for minimal lead time booking?

If so I suspect the rates by which airlines charge teams are calculated at various discount schedules, especially if one airline is granted the right to be the official CFL carrier.

CFL teams (and the league) employ travel planners amongst their office staff. These folks are charged with arranging flights, hotels, food services and other ancillary services teams require. So I suspect most air tickets are discounted anywhere from 15% to 40% depending on lead time provided and expected payment time on invoices (ie. 5 days, 30 days, 60 days, etc.). Same principle holds for hotel rooms. In fact many teams will shop for hotels that are willing to contra (aka trade) hotel space for promotion on the team's radio broadcasts, team programs, home game announcements, etc.

Cheapest round trip summer flights Tango... is 850.00 average Economy price is 2400.00
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Sat May 20, 2017 12:41 am

The Alouettes become the first team in the CFL to have it’s own plane, as the same Boeing 737-300 airplane will be specially configured to accommodate the entire team, as well as all the necessary equipment for the team’s road games.

The team will travel on Alouettes-themed plane for all if its away games, excluding the one in Ottawa. The organization is able to choose its departure times travelling to and from each city, which is an undeniable advantage for the team’s weekly preparation.
“As part of this partnership with the Alouettes, our team modified the configuration of the seats on our Boeing 737-300, making it ideal for sports teams. The Alouettes can count on Nolinor Aviation to receive a personalized chartered flight service every step of the way,” declared Nolinor Aviation Vice-President Marco Prud’Homme.
Hall of Famer

by Grover » Sat May 20, 2017 6:00 am

Definitely a huge advantage, especially for those long flights to Alberta and BC
I can see all CFL teams asking their carriers for a similar service
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Sat May 20, 2017 10:12 am

ro1313 wrote:

A flight from Montreal runs around 300$ Multiply that for 75 people and you are at 22,500
Then figure it’s a night game that finishes at 10:30 players gotta shower change eat, and its now too late for a flight home so they have to put up those 75 people in a hotel for the night so you are talking another 7500 bucks

A 737-300 burns about 750 gallons of Jet A1 fuel an hour
At roughly 4 bucks a gallon that’s 3000$ an hour so a return Montreal Toronto flight will cost about 6000 for fuel. Now lets say they triple that to cover pilots and fight attendants and maintenance so we are at 18,000
18,000 compared to 30,000….And that is if they triple the price..could be double or maybe even at cost in exchange for advertising and what not….

A 737 holds 135 people, they have 60 empty seats but due to the size of the players and the amount of equipment they have to bring....lets say 25... They can offer that to fans and bring in a few bucks more

Come to think of it...Last year for the final game of the season in Hamilton, they had 50 seats available on a charter that they sold for 350$ That's 17,500. For every game they do that, it pretty much costs the team nothing

While I'll agree having the sponsor tie-in makes this venture worthwhile, the cost of charter vs. commercial alone makes it more expensive.

Working with group sales with airlines, a charter only works out better if you're selling at around 90% of the available seats vs. commercial.

Cost of chartering a plane the size of a 737 is around 20K per hour give our take so return flight to Toronto would be around 40K. So even dividing that by 75 it's still 533.00 per person. Taxes and surcharges per person are still added in addition so the fare it's closer to the 600.00 pp range.

Even with additional baggage and other frees airlines gouge these days, commercial is still much less especially in a major city with more options. There may be some savings with hotels but depending on the lease at various airports, charter may not permit a departure past a specific time so they're forced to stay overnight anyways. Pinning Jello to a wall can be more straight forward than these travel contracts.

But if the plane gets subleaesed while the team is not using it, it's possible the Als can get a cut of the rental fee and it could be a small revenue boost.
All-Star

by ro1313 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:15 am

This is the plane they used last year for the fan flight to Hamilton

Hall of Famer

by KevinRiley2 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:09 pm

Grover wrote:Definitely a huge advantage, especially for those long flights to Alberta and BC
I can see all CFL teams asking their carriers for a similar service

:thup:
All-Star

by beaglehound » Sat May 20, 2017 2:17 pm

jamie wrote: I can't imagine teams relying on booking on commercial flying for this many bodies. Perhaps this is more customised?

According to the article Kevin posted the Als are the first to have their own plane for away games.

As far as other CFL teams? After the United Airlines debacle a month or so again where passengers where 4 seated passengers were bumped to make room for on-call flight employees I can just see it now:

BC Lions game against the Argos postponed! Reason? Several players were asked to de-plane to make room for on-call crew members who had tickets to the game!
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sat May 20, 2017 4:48 pm

I'm not even sure how you fit professional football players (the big ones) on a Tango flight. Probably would be more comfortable in the luggage bay.
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext