Riders add former NFL star Vince Young to neg list

Re: Riders add former NFL star Vince Young to neg list

by sambo42 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:06 pm

Grover wrote:Hey Jones, a couple of unturned stones just got neg listed by the TiCats!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/ticats-add-kaepernick ... t-1.701451

Ticats add Kaepernick, RGIII to neg. list

I think that Jones skipped those stones over to Hamiton's shores across lake Ontario...
ryan3434: gandhi was a black hating racist
Hall of Famer

by Migs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Grover wrote:Hey Jones, a couple of unturned stones just got neg listed by the TiCats!!!

Brilliant if Austin does it, dumb if Jones does it. ;)
Starter

by Grover » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:16 pm

Migs wrote:

Brilliant if Austin does it, dumb if Jones does it. ;)

Ya, I can see it now, Austin trades Collaros for a 4th round pick, no that wouldn't happen.
That would be dumb. :wink:
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by The Last Word » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:22 pm

Johnny Ticat slayer wrote:
Migs wrote:You guys are right, this is clearly a franchise in disarray.

What do nice facilities have to do with team management and the on field product?

The Riders went 5-13 last season with that fancy stuff! Chris Jones humiliated himself and the team by CHEATING!

For 2017, Jones dumps Durant and hires a former mediocre NFL QB who is old and overweight.

Nice turf on that field though :thup: :roll:

Bread and circuses Johnny. Distract the Rider mob with a fancy shiny new stadium with the hopes it will buy them a few more years of mediocrity on the field. Jones is Regina's Commodus but the Rider organization is in desperate need of a General Maximus to put him out of his misery.

Are you not entertained Rider Nation!

The Last Word
Last edited by The Last Word on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starter

by Migs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:46 pm

Grover wrote:Ya, I can see it now, Austin trades Collaros for a 4th round pick, no that wouldn't happen.
That would be dumb. :wink:

With his contract, if Collaros has another injury filled season with no onfield results like Durant, the situations will be very similar.
Starter

by The Last Word » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Migs wrote:
bobo82 wrote:
Migs wrote:

what about Vince Young leads you to believe a 33 year old QB can no longer play at a high level even after we just witnessed championships being won by a 39 year old QB and a 41 year old QB?

bobo82 replies : Actually Young will be a 34 year old QB by the time T.Camp starts .

He hasn't played at a high level for sometime now, in fact he hasn't played at all in 6 years. Young was never a high level QB while in the NFL in the first place . In fact if you look at his career NFL stats , he was rather pedestrian and adequate or mediocre at the best of times with a few flashes of brilliance but never on a steady , reliable basis .

You honestly can't be seriously comparing a Vince Young to a Tom Brady ? A player who has won 5 Championships in his career , a player who will probably go down as the greatest QB of all time in the history of Football .Young couldn't carry Brady's jockstrap . As for Burris winning it all at age 41, well the last time I looked Burris had played the game continuously for 19 seasons without taking a 6 year break in between. Burris also kept himself in phenomenal shape and was a freak of nature for his age. Say what you want about Young but in comparison the man looks like an out of shape blob who is bloated , over weight and totally out of shape (not that he was ever in that great of shape in the first place)

What was it about Young's workouts with the Riders football ops tells you he no longer has the skill of a 2 time ProBowl, NFL rookie of the year? Tell us.

bobo82 replies :
None of us , not you , me or anybody for that matter can tell how Young did at his workouts for the Riders . There was no video footage as far as I know and we only have the word of Chris Jones that he did well and impressed at those workouts . We will all just have to wait for the upcoming April mini camp to see how he actually looks .

As for Young being a former NFL rookie of the year , well props to him on that achievement BUT it was 11 long yrs ago back in 2006 . Coincidentally Young threw only 12 TD passes that year , which was his highest total in his NFL career .

As for Young being a 2 time Pro Bowler , yes he did play in 2 Pro Bowls BUT he wasn't on both occasions the first choice or selection for the game . The only reason that he was selected in the first place was the fact that players initially chosen ahead of him for the team had opted out of playing in the game due to various reasons such as injuries . In reality Young was the 5th or 6th options for these games and was basically not a 1rst choice but a replacement player for the Pro Bowl .

And don't go on blathering that he was cut by the Cleveland Browns, there were 5 players on this years Super Bowl champion New England Patriots who were cut by the Cleveland Browns

Bobo82 replies:
Young only lasted all of 11 days with the Browns and was cut by the team before even seeing any game action even in a preseason game . As for 5 players cut from Cleveland being on New England's Super Bowl roster , so what ? With the way the turnover is nowadays in the NFL with constant roster movement from year to year due to FA and the salary cap structure there was probably close to 5 ex players from every team in the league that played in that Super Bowl game .

Young is a Zero risk, very high reward prospect. Period

Bobo82 replies:
Do you really honestly think and believe that Jones and the Riders would have a nation wide nationally televised press conference complete with a team jersey presentation for a player that as many say might not even make it out of mini-camp ? I'm sorry but this signing was all about fuelling and feeding one mans enormous ego named Jones. I really honestly don't think it will matter how Young does at this upcoming mini camp . He will be on your team regardless of play this season because your HC/GM will never admit that he actually might have made a mistake in the first place by signing such a reclamation project such as Young is . Let's face facts here , Jones and his egomaniac personality are the only reason that Young was signed by him in the first place. Period .

The only thing I can conclude from that blathering mess is that you're scared & nervous.[/quote]

Nice thoughtful response to Bobo's well-researched post. Would read again. :lol:
Starter

by The Last Word » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:04 pm

There is most certainly risk for bringing Young to training camp. The risk is wasting valuable training camp reps on a player who is far removed from the his "successful" NFL days and has not thrown a meaningful pass in 6 years when they could bring in a younger up-and-coming QB (recently released from an NFL team or a talented QB from an NCAA college who was passed over by NFL teams) to use for those same reps - a quarterback who actually has a remote chance of becoming a reasonably good starting qb in the CFL unlike Young.

Let's face it, if guys like Jones and Murphy had a strong capable GM like Hufnagel to reign them in from stupid decisions like this as he probably did back in their Calgary days, washed-up players like Young would not be signed in the first place. That my delusional rider fans is....

The Last Word
Starter

by BCRiderFan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:17 pm

The Last Word wrote:There is most certainly risk for bringing Young to training camp. The risk is wasting valuable training camp reps on a player who is far removed from the his "successful" NFL days and has not thrown a meaningful pass in 6 years when they could bring in a younger up-and-coming QB (recently released from an NFL team or a talented QB from an NCAA college who was passed over by NFL teams) to use for those same reps - a quarterback who actually has a remote chance of becoming a reasonably good starting qb in the CFL unlike Young.

Let's face it, if guys like Jones and Murphy had a strong capable GM like Hufnagel to reign them in from stupid decisions like this as he probably did back in their Calgary days, washed-up players like Young would not be signed in the first place. That my delusional rider fans is....

The Last Word

Haha, what a laughable response. The posters on this site are blinded by their apparent hatred of the Riders that you get nonsense responses like this. Don't bring a former NFL rookie of the year, you might waste some camp snaps! Pure comedy, and of course the predictable post from the poster with the pretentious name
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions
Veteran

by bohdon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:25 pm

I laughed at first too, however judging by the responses that are in here it seems a lot of posters are genuinely afraid of what might happen. Otherwise why would there be so much to do of nothing.

Maybe this Vince guy can do it, then again maybe not but it sure seems to have put somekind fear into the opposition.

I've changed my mind, I'm now hoping he makes the team and does a reasonable job.

As far as taking us to the cup? I think maybe right now our best chance has to be with Keven Glen.

You can run your mouths off all you want however the fact remains that the Riders are looking for another QB capable of starting, if this Vince Young guy is stirring up such an uproar then I feel there must be a good reason for it. Heck go just a few posts back and we already have a starting order...Pffft I guess there's no sense anyone show up for the upcoming camps.... :roll:

Oh and the pics of our new stadium in this thread.... totally within reason I mean we are looking for a new QB right, makes sense to show off our how shall I say? quaint facility's? to any prospecting diamond in the rough :lol:
Starter

by bohdon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Ummmm OK well that's not entirely true, at first I cried......... but I'm laughing now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Starter

by Migs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:31 pm

The Last Word wrote:Bread and circuses Johnny. Distract the Rider mob with a fancy shiny new stadium with the hopes it will buy them a few more years of mediocrity on the field. Jones is Regina's Commodus but the Rider organization is in desperate need of a General Maximus to put him out of his misery.

Are you not entertained Rider Nation!

The Last Word

Jones - 4 Grey Cup rings - made playoffs 14/15 seasons in CFL

Murphy - 3 Grey Cup rings - recruited many great CFLers like BLM

Oday - 2 Grey Cup rings.

Mediocrity? Ok then
Starter

by sambo42 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:58 pm

I agree that Young is a waste of time... and money. First he must show that he still has the skills to play, then he will have to have the conditioning to go through a full season... learn the playbook, etc... for being out of football for a few years, and not seeing any action for 6, its very hard to see how he will be a success... meanwhile, the Riders could be grooming a younger QB that shows promise... if there are 7 others they are looking at, why not take a chance on the one that shows he can play and adjust to the CFL game? It seems to me that signing Young was a publicity stunt... I guess no one learned from the Akili Smith experiment done the Stamps in 07... but they had an ace in the hole... Henry Burris... Riders don't have that ace even... a better move would have been trying to get Lulay from BC...
ryan3434: gandhi was a black hating racist
Hall of Famer

by brihind88 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:02 pm

Nice Rider tire pumping here.

" the posters must be scared or they would not be saying these things " :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love how Riders fans are so optimistic . For real.
As a Stamps fan , it will be so much more fulfilling when they do end up in last place and I can rub it in.

ALL SEASON LONG.

I can imagine other fan bases will not have any sympathy either.

However, do not let it be said that the Brihinder, does not have a heart.

I will cheer for Team Riders during Eskimo games .

That is so nice of me.
Rider fans, do not mention it.

You are so very welcome.
All-Star

by Migs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:26 pm

sambo42 wrote:I agree that Young is a waste of time... and money. First he must show that he still has the skills to play, then he will have to have the conditioning to go through a full season... learn the playbook, etc... for being out of football for a few years, and not seeing any action for 6, its very hard to see how he will be a success... meanwhile, the Riders could be grooming a younger QB that shows promise... if there are 7 others they are looking at, why not take a chance on the one that shows he can play and adjust to the CFL game? It seems to me that signing Young was a publicity stunt... I guess no one learned from the Akili Smith experiment done the Stamps in 07... but they had an ace in the hole... Henry Burris... Riders don't have that ace even... a better move would have been trying to get Lulay from BC...

The Akili Smith experiment was a failure. Which bears the question, was the Doug Flutie, Kerry Joseph, & David Archer experiments a failure?

The truth is, only Jones, Jackson, & McAdoo know where Young's ability & conditioning are at. Young has a very good win/loss record in the NFL & was a national champion. It'll be interesting to see what happens, & yes it is quite amusing reading other teams fans immediately write Young off because of someone named Akili Smith.
Starter

by RedandWhite » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:33 pm

Migs wrote:it is quite amusing reading other teams fans immediately write Young off because of someone named Akili Smith.

...pssst, in case you didn't see the logo in sam's post, he's a rider fan...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

PreviousNext