Marquee Player Rule

Should the CFL institute a marquee player rule

Yes
35%
No
52%
No! Don't you know it didn't work in the past!
13%

Total votes : 31

Re: Marquee Player Rule

by ed ohmnes » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:03 pm

Maybe it could work if it is capped at $500,000 or whatever everyone else might afford
Starter

by jamie » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Well given how much teams are spending in dead money with fired coaches and GMs etc I think all teams can "afford" $500,000 for an existing player to move into marquee territory. What I wouldn't want to happen is for a player to be airlifted in to be the marquee guy. Has to be an existing player of some tenure. I say 4 years.
All-Star

by bowl450 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:03 pm

personally I would not have a marquee player rule, I would increase the salary cap to $6 million per team, and break the team into 6 groups with its own salary cap ,
1 = QBs,
2 = specialty players ( kickers ) long snapper debatable ?
3 = O - line,
4 = D - line,
5 = receivers and running backs
6 = defensive backs, linebackers and safety

increase Canadian ratio from 7 starters to 10, and roster size by 2.
players who play more than 5 seasons with the same team, ( not 5 years in league ) they then can be considered naturalised Canadian .
maximum of 3 naturalised Canadians per roster.

Roster Breakdown
Nationals - Min. 23 ( including 3 naturalised Canadians )
Internationals - Max. 20
Quarterbacks - 3
Reserve - 2
Total - 48
Each team may dress a 46-man active roster consisting of:
3 QBs (no designation)
Maximum of 20 international players (4 of which must be identifed as designated internationals)
Minimum of 23 national players
Each team must start 10 national players ( 3 of which may be naturalised Canadians )
Veteran

by depopulationINC » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:16 am

bowl450 wrote:personally I would not have a marquee player rule, I would increase the salary cap to $6 million per team, and break the team into 6 groups with its own salary cap ,
1 = QBs,
3 = O - line,
4 = D - line,

increase Canadian ratio from 7 starters to 10, and roster size by 2.
players who play more than 5 seasons with the same team, ( not 5 years in league ) they then can be considered naturalised Canadian .
maximum of 3 naturalised Canadians per roster.

Roster Breakdown
Nationals - Min. 23 ( including 3 naturalised Canadians )
Internationals - Max. 20
Quarterbacks - 3
Reserve - 2
Total - 48
Each team may dress a 46-man active roster consisting of:
3 QBs (no designation)
Maximum of 20 international players (4 of which must be identifed as designated internationals)
Minimum of 23 national players
Each team must start 10 national players ( 3 of which may be naturalised Canadians )

I like the naturalised Canadians aspect...though think that part of that should include obtaining actual citizenship
All-Star

by ed ohmnes » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:38 am

I like that idea better myself, didn't we used to have a rule like that years ago , for Lancaster and reed ?? Can't remember
Starter

by prairiewolf77 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:00 pm

Marquee player rule doesn't bring in any new talent. all it does it give one existing player, normally a QB, more money. This won't increase the talent pool, so its a waste of money.

Increasing the salary cap so players stop retiring early may be better.
Naturalized Canadian is a good idea, however, it should be for players that live in Canada year around and have been in the league for 5+ years. Most us players have their families remain in the us when they play. Very few, even veterans of 10+ years keep their families in the US.
Starter

by sth1988 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:00 pm

If you give teams a chance to spend more money, they will. That's what got the league into trouble in the past. The league is the most stable I can ever remember it being. Expenses are known and revenue is known and franchises are worth something. If it ain't broke..don't fix it. Raise the salary cap is you want.

The MLS is a house of cards that will fall at some point. I have no idea how they come up with the values of the franchises so following thier model is a disaster in waiting.

The other point is, there are loads of football players, good players, willing to play for $80K. Why overpay? Every year we see new stars emerge. If they're going to leave, they're going to leave. It's Canadian talent that dictates if you win or not.

Don't fix what doesn't need fixing.
Rookie

by rhymes with orange » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:11 pm

bowl450 wrote:personally I would not have a marquee player rule, I would increase the salary cap to $6 million per team, and break the team into 6 groups with its own salary cap ,
1 = QBs,
3 = O - line,
4 = D - line,

I like your ideas, but is there a reason why there should be distinct salary caps around each position group? I mean, it's a struggle for CFL GMs to fit their rosters within 1 cap, let alone have to worry about 6 different ones. Won't that be even more challenging for the league to review/administer as well, at a 6x multiple (54 SMSs to audit vs 9)?
Proud B.C. Lions season ticket holder since 1995.
All-Star

by bowl450 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:20 pm

rhymes with orange wrote:
1 = QBs,
3 = O - line,
4 = D - line,
I like your ideas, but is there a reason why there should be distinct salary caps around each position group? I mean, it's a struggle for CFL GMs to fit their rosters within 1 cap, let alone have to worry about 6 different ones. Won't that be even more challenging for the league to review/administer as well, at a 6x multiple (54 SMSs to audit vs 9)?

the reasoning for the different groups is so that all teams have comparable salary structures in each group with the end result being that all teams can retain their star players.
for example you can have a cap in these groups max per player.
group 1 - $450,000
group 2 - $125,000
group 3 - $200,00
group 4 - $175,000
group 5 - $180,00
group 6 - $170,000
are these realistic numbers, I don't know as I'm not a number cruncher type of guy ?

as far as the naturalized Canadian being with 1 team for 5 years,( not league ) I believe that this will help retain a teams individual stars.
Veteran

Previous