Iconic SR

Not a fan of this move at this price
I’m very surprised at this contract amount too. Jones must have extremely high expectations immediately from Zach. In the bigger picture, we sure haven’t spent much on QBs lately so this doesn’t hurt us financially all that much. 

Hoping Bridge can still stick here. 

Taleback

Well, so much for the "If you want to be the highest player at your position, you will never play for me". Pretty sure that were his words when he came to Sask and purged the roster.

depopulationINC

Well, so much for the "If you want to be the highest player at your position, you will never play for me". Pretty sure that were his words when he came to Sask and purged the roster.
??huh??  How is he the highest paid?  BLM, Reilly, Ray and Harris all make more while Nichols makes slightly less.  That puts him smack dab middle of the pack for starters, and Durant was also above that until he was released and Johnny football will likely come in making more as well...though likely incentives in there.

I am not over the moon with this move...but he is in no way top pay in his position....he would have been under his old contract, but right now he took like a 110k trim.  With the tax shelter of the signing bonus he actually ends up pocketing about the same though, so it was win win...but you are not going to get away from the guaranteed money with no incentives because he already had a 540k contract without incentives and multiple teams that were in trade talks right up until this trade happened...so he knows darned well he could sign somewhere else if the Riders don't meet in the middle somewhere...like they did....unfortunately a big signing bonus was a risk needed to make that happen. 

If Zach plays most games...like only misses 1 or 2....this is a great price, because I fully believe he will excel.  Question is if he can do that, because he hasn't as of yet.

Iconic SR

Is $430K a high salary? In the CFL, yes it is. We must keep in mind that Darian Durant wanted at least that here last year at this time, and MANY fans were upset that he didn’t get that from Jones. He got more in Montreal and failed. As such - Jones looks very wise in assessing a QBs value in the CFL.

Fast forward to today: At $430,000, Zach Collaros is about 20 to 25% cheaper than the highest paid QBs in the CFL for 2018. He’s not at all the highest paid in that position. As such, Jones is managing that spot and cap responsibly.

Your shot at Jones doesn’t even fit the example you’re trying to use in making that shot. Rather, you’re reinforcing that Jones is a prudent GM. Thanks for reminding us.

GC Bound

??huh??  How is he the highest paid?  BLM, Reilly, Ray and Harris all make more while Nichols makes slightly less.  That puts him smack dab middle of the pack for starters, and Durant was also above that until he was released and Johnny football will likely come in making more as well...though likely incentives in there.

I am not over the moon with this move...but he is in no way top pay in his position....he would have been under his old contract, but right now he took like a 110k trim.  With the tax shelter of the signing bonus he actually ends up pocketing about the same though, so it was win win...but you are not going to get away from the guaranteed money with no incentives because he already had a 540k contract without incentives and multiple teams that were in trade talks right up until this trade happened...so he knows darned well he could sign somewhere else if the Riders don't meet in the middle somewhere...like they did....unfortunately a big signing bonus was a risk needed to make that happen.  

If Zach plays most games...like only misses 1 or 2....this is a great price, because I fully believe he will excel.  Question is if he can do that, because he hasn't as of yet.
Obviously Jones sees ZC as a "potential" Premier QB in the CFL and given their history he will have a pretty dam good vision of Zachs mental and athletic potential.
If ZC does excel and I sure see that probability, then the Price Tag is a "Steal"! imo
If Zach is reborn and redefines himself to the status of 3-4 years ago, Look out this guy will Role

depopulationINC

??huh??  How is he the highest paid?  BLM, Reilly, Ray and Harris all make more while Nichols makes slightly less.  That puts him smack dab middle of the pack for starters, and Durant was also above that until he was released and Johnny football will likely come in making more as well...though likely incentives in there.

I am not over the moon with this move...but he is in no way top pay in his position....he would have been under his old contract, but right now he took like a 110k trim.  With the tax shelter of the signing bonus he actually ends up pocketing about the same though, so it was win win...but you are not going to get away from the guaranteed money with no incentives because he already had a 540k contract without incentives and multiple teams that were in trade talks right up until this trade happened...so he knows darned well he could sign somewhere else if the Riders don't meet in the middle somewhere...like they did....unfortunately a big signing bonus was a risk needed to make that happen.  

If Zach plays most games...like only misses 1 or 2....this is a great price, because I fully believe he will excel.  Question is if he can do that, because he hasn't as of yet.
Obviously Jones sees ZC as a "potential" Premier QB in the CFL and given their history he will have a pretty dam good vision of Zachs mental and athletic potential.
If ZC does excel and I sure see that probability, then the Price Tag is a "Steal"! imo
If Zach is reborn and redefines himself to the status of 3-4 years ago, Look out this guy will Role
Zach's numbers don't lie. 

I think that even last season most people felt he was in a toxic environment.  I mean many were talking about how the players had quit on the coach and all.  If he had not been coming off such a serious injury I don't think many would be second guessing that.   Now was his health zero part of the issue...no idea, but I tend to think that if it was it was a small part of it.  June came in right when he was being yarded and it was all a breathe of fresh air there....but that was not the only factor.  What else changed? 
2 new OTs changed. 
3 new WRs changed. 
June did something that Austin was refusing to...rush the ball...which was probably as bit a part of improving the OL as was 2 new OTs.

There is really no question ZC has the skill.  It is a not a matter of proving his potential to be a premier QB...he has already proven he can be, but granted has some re-proving to do after last season.  I think the biggest thing he has to prove is that he can play a full season.

everyman

Everyone is a capologist on here. Fans are accountants now.

imo...this is a perfect move at the perfect time. Rather than getting a "franchise" QB when the team is a mess, Jones re-tooled, rebuilt the foundation. Now is the time to add  player who two years go was arguably head and shoulders the best QB around. It's a one year deal for both he and Bridge. Let it play out.
And Collaros has had an ACL ( who hasn't) and a concussion which was severe. Then asked to play with an O-line from high school with no running game. And  passing game that took too long to unfold. A mess.  This is a whole different beast here. He'll be VG I think. Certainly worth the risk which is minimal at most.

Slomojo2005

Rider fans should be jumping for joy at the thought of Zack leading your offence.  I wish he was still with us in Tiger-town but circumstances made it difficult.  He is going to prove that he is a #1 QB and Rider fans will never feel bad about this signing.  Congrats!!!!

Slomojo2005

Rider fans should be jumping for joy at the thought of Zack leading your offence.  I wish he was still with us in Tiger-town but circumstances made it difficult.  He is going to prove that he is a #1 QB and Rider fans will never feel bad about this signing.  Congrats!!!!
Best of luck Zack! 

depopulationINC

Everyone is a capologist on here. Fans are accountants now.

imo...this is a perfect move at the perfect time. Rather than getting a "franchise" QB when the team is a mess, Jones re-tooled, rebuilt the foundation. Now is the time to add  player who two years go was arguably head and shoulders the best QB around. It's a one year deal for both he and Bridge. Let it play out.
And Collaros has had an ACL ( who hasn't) and a concussion which was severe. Then asked to play with an O-line from high school with no running game. And  passing game that took too long to unfold. A mess.  This is a whole different beast here. He'll be VG I think. Certainly worth the risk which is minimal at most.
you don't have to be a "capologist" to talk about it.  pretty solid numbers are out there for most starting QBs...so it is pretty easy to discuss.

ZC's was 540 w/ 200 of that in cash
Reilly...505
Ray...200+290
BLM...460
Harris.... 420-440
ZC....430
Nichols 420...cash and roster bonus...no playing incentives....450 in 2019
Jennings (who's really done nothing) was at 300+60 in playing incentives.  Now it was reworked a couple weeks ago...not sure on details.

That leaves:
Montreal....DD was due ~410 w/ 150 cash, largely that low due to bigger bonus last season
Hamilton...will have to see how that shakes out

Taleback

Is $430K a high salary? In the CFL, yes it is. We must keep in mind that Darian Durant wanted at least that here last year at this time, and MANY fans were upset that he didn’t get that from Jones. He got more in Montreal and failed. As such - Jones looks very wise in assessing a QBs value in the CFL.

Fast forward to today: At $430,000, Zach Collaros is about 20 to 25% cheaper than the highest paid QBs in the CFL for 2018. He’s not at all the highest paid in that position. As such, Jones is managing that spot and cap responsibly.

Your shot at Jones doesn’t even fit the example you’re trying to use in making that shot. Rather, you’re reinforcing that Jones is a prudent GM. Thanks for reminding us.
It wasn't a shot at Jones is was an observation. On the radio here in Calgary they said Collaros was the highest paid Rider in history, so that would indicate more than 430,000.00. Even if it is 430,000 then your numbers don't line up with Depops as the highest paid Q.B.'S  would have to making 516,000 to 537,000 and Depop doesn't even have 1 at the 516,000 mark. I never said Jones wasn't a prudent G.M. just stating an observation.

depopulationINC

deletedammit

depopulationINC

It wasn't a shot at Jones is was an observation. On the radio here in Calgary they said Collaros was the highest paid Rider in history, so that would indicate more than 430,000.00. Even if it is 430,000 then your numbers don't line up with Depops as the highest paid Q.B.'S  would have to making 516,000 to 537,000 and Depop doesn't even have 1 at the 516,000 mark. I never said Jones wasn't a prudent G.M. just stating an observation.
Durant had 500k+ contracts as a Rider 2 or 3 years.  He was slotted to make 10% of cap for 3 years.  IIRC I believe he broke 440 his last season with the club when it was all said and done.

Iconic SR

I’m very glad to see Collaros here. Always respected the guy, and last season wasn’t a very fair picture of his capabilities or his overall body of work, nor was it indicative of the team the TiCats are now. Transition was occurring there (Austin needing to get off the sidelines) and the players weren’t coherent as a group nor focused. By the time June Jones turned that around, Collaros was already displaced by Masoli. Wrong place, wrong time sorta thing. 

Very happy with the signing and ok with the price too.

Iconic SR

Durant had 500k+ contracts as a Rider 2 or 3 years.  He was slotted to make 10% of cap for 3 years.  IIRC I believe he broke 440 his last season with the club when it was all said and done.
Agreed. Durant was always paid very well here. Then when he tried to ratchet up his salary on the wings of years past and his iconic status/popularity in RiderNation - Jones and the BOD didn’t bite. They had a plan and caving in those kinds of $ demands from Durant would have been reckless cap management. It worked out as it should have. 

Users Online

78 Guests, 11 Users (9 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
SeaFiddle, Sidney, RichardVeilleux, everyman, Grover, papazoola, rshmglsky, DPop13, jonny24eh, Google (9)

Most Online Today: 118. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)