nythril

The injury bug had finally caught up with DD. He has been healthier this year than he has since the 2013 Grey Cup ... but is playing a noticeably more cautious game in my opinion.

I hold no grudge for him leaving or how he left. He "was" a great rider and carried this team on shoulders many a game. The 2013 Grey Cup was our holy grail.

However ..... this is professional sports and winning is the name of the game. All great athletes reach that point in their career where they must chose to retire as the home team hero or move on and play a diminished game for a team hoping a new team can re kindle the former star in them.

DD selected to continue his career and all the best to him. I will always give a rider fan thank you for his years of service - but from 2017 on wards he is"  Montreal DD " and deserves all the smack talk he is getting for his comments.

Iconic SR

Chris Jones is doing a helluva job as our HC and GM. So long, Darian. Enjoy your 'elite' pay.

Had he not sunk so low with his trash talk and trying to incite RiderNation to turn against our new management - I unlikely would be so rankled. But he did just that. And he said he was elite then demanded unrealistic $, trying to cash in on his fan popularity. Now this week he compared himself to Michael Jordan etc re: his dry spell. 

Who needs that s**t? It definitely is his head that's the problem. I think he may be concussed.

depopulationINC

Durant is getting worse by the game 

150GAGE

Rider Nation was pretty hard on DD leading to the 2013 GC. 
I attended the 2013 GC as a tiger- cat fan, and I must say you guys appeared to love Dressler but luke warm  to DD; until he won that is.
If my team had won in that fashion Burris would been like a god, forever, regardless of what happened afterwards.
In fact, Hank still is one of my favorites of all time.
(BTW, you guys treated me and my buddies really well. So thanks for that.)
Would love to see KG win the GC in Regina this year.

depopulationINC

Rider Nation was pretty hard on DD leading to the 2013 GC.
I attended the 2013 GC as a tiger- cat fan, and I must say you guys appeared to love Dressler but luke warm  to DD; until he won that is.
If my team had won in that fashion Burris would been like a god, forever, regardless of what happened afterwards.
In fact, Hank still is one of my favorites of all time.
(BTW, you guys treated me and my buddies really well. So thanks for that.)
Would love to see KG win the GC in Regina this year.
Deuces was a god in the province.  It is as simple as listening to the cheers as they come on the field to see how incredibly popular he was.  When he showed up before the GC at Riderville I thought the building might fall apart.  Durant did a lot of things right and was very very very good to the fans.  He did however do a lot of things wrong as well an did things really wrong at the end...only a fraction of that is out there as general knowledge though.  Durant was spectacular with fans...iffy with some staff (even caused a few heads to roll over the years including an entire department of the team)...but what has always separated him has been that he was a warrior...that is what most fans seemed to love about him...a lot of that is gone.  A lot of what people hated about DD was that he would often do the 'cmon' head shake as a ball was missed by a WR...something he was more conscious of later and got a bit better about not doing...he has never been good about stepping up and taking heat for his team and that is REALLY shining this year

Iconic SR

Some very good insight here guys. You're right in that DD was revered, but there was also that other side and faction that saw or heard other stuff that dimmed his halo a bit. Both existed but DD being a fan fave by far was the majority. What we saw in the years leading up to some GC appearances and then finally the GC win at home in 2013 was - he needed a solid core of talent around him. He did the best when the Riders had a very strong running game, simply  because the more diverse offence took pressure off of him. Now in Montreal, he has ALL the pressure that an elite QB has (and he has the salary let's not forget - he SOLD this hard, and the team sacrificed some big talent to make room for DD) - but he doesn't have the stuff to be THAT guy. Many have said this all along. Now when we compare DD to say a BLM or Mike Reilly, the difference is very glaring. Those guys are high level leaders and routinely can take the team on their back, while DD could do that on occasion. That's the big difference IMO. We still talk about a couple big plays in a playoff game vs BC in 2013 as one of DDs best efforts ever. Think about that for a moment: there aren't many since, while other elite QBs entertain us with outstanding efforts nearly every single game. Plus DD had TWO major tendon injuries in his 30's, and missed almost 2 seasons before returning. That could be at play too. What burned the DD bridge for me was his public attacks on Chris Jones, and as such - DD showed who he is. Personally I think he threw away his golden retirement nest egg by waging war with Jones/Riders. Jones was absolutely correct when he referred to the moderate success DD had here. DD lost sight of the fact that majority of season ticket paying fans knew we couldn't pay him that and he wasn't our future, but could be a helluva backup or mentor. But he doesn't exude mentorship material is what I'm seeing in Montreal. Now DD won't brought back here even once retired for a PR or positional role. He will likely just fade away. Big opportunity squandered - via his bruised ego. He could have been a legend, had he looked at the big picture that many Rider fans hold onto their faves, even if they don't win a lot.

JimmytheGreek

Some very good insight here guys. You're right in that DD was revered, but there was also that other side and faction that saw or heard other stuff that dimmed his halo a bit. Both existed but DD being a fan fave by far was the majority. What we saw in the years leading up to some GC appearances and then finally the GC win at home in 2013 was - he needed a solid core of talent around him. He did the best when the Riders had a very strong running game, simply  because the more diverse offence took pressure off of him. Now in Montreal, he has ALL the pressure that an elite QB has (and he has the salary let's not forget - he SOLD this hard, and the team sacrificed some big talent to make room for DD) - but he doesn't have the stuff to be THAT guy. Many have said this all along. Now when we compare DD to say a BLM or Mike Reilly, the difference is very glaring. Those guys are high level leaders and routinely can take the team on their back, while DD could do that on occasion. That's the big difference IMO. We still talk about a couple big plays in a playoff game vs BC in 2013 as one of DDs best efforts ever. Think about that for a moment: there aren't many since, while other elite QBs entertain us with outstanding efforts nearly every single game. Plus DD had TWO major tendon injuries in his 30's, and missed almost 2 seasons before returning. That could be at play too. What burned the DD bridge for me was his public attacks on Chris Jones, and as such - DD showed who he is. Personally I think he threw away his golden retirement nest egg by waging war with Jones/Riders. Jones was absolutely correct when he referred to the moderate success DD had here. DD lost sight of the fact that majority of season ticket paying fans knew we couldn't pay him that and he wasn't our future, but could be a helluva backup or mentor. But he doesn't exude mentorship material is what I'm seeing in Montreal. Now DD won't brought back here even once retired for a PR or positional role. He will likely just fade away. Big opportunity squandered - via his bruised ego. He could have been a legend, had he looked at the big picture that many Rider fans hold onto their faves, even if they don't win a lot.
Hmm not so sure about Bo being "elite" either I mean if you look at the success he has had it has been on some  pretty darn good teams but this year the talent is not quite as deep and his own performance  has not exactly been elite. Now sure Bo's record says different but if you break down just Bo's play on it's own it had been more then a bit shakey this year. Difference though between Bo and Darian though is Bo still has a better team surrounding him to make up for his lack of production. Sure Darian's contract has hampered the Al's to also put a better team on the field but I'm not buying that Bo is playing for peanuts out of the goodness of his heart. I have a feeling Bo isgettin "financial assistance"that isn't showing on the Stamp's books.  

Iconic SR

BLM, Reilly, and Ricky Ray are the elite QBs right now IMO. Eaening their salary whatever they are. Jennings nipping at their heels, and Lulay too - but he's hurt.

Durant has never been as consistently great as those guys.

depopulationINC

BLM, Reilly, and Ricky Ray are the elite QBs right now IMO. Eaening their salary whatever they are. Jennings nipping at their heels, and Lulay too - but he's hurt.

Durant has never been as consistently great as those guys.
Jennings sux 

Iconic SR

Don't you think Montreal would jump at Jennings or a healthy Lulay? Maybe Hamilton too.

depopulationINC

Don't you think Montreal would jump at Jennings or a healthy Lulay? Maybe Hamilton too.
Think they are dumb enough?  Jennings has not progressed and if anything has regressed.  Perhaps a new QB coach would help because the check down is nonexistent with him and it kills him.

Zach and Austin have fallen out of grace but make no mistake...he is still a very good QB.  What he was surrounded with was a nightmare 

Iconic SR

I think Montreal is dumb enough and desperate enough but I don't believe TiCats have reached that level yet. But could. Senior managers and coaches in pro ball do some crazy stuff.

depopulationINC

I think Montreal is dumb enough and desperate enough but I don't believe TiCats have reached that level yet. But could. Senior managers and coaches in pro ball do some crazy stuff.
Hamilton wants Johnny football and Zach will be released.  Nobody wants his present salary 

nythril

I wonder if we have seen the last of DD in the cfl ?

greenandwhite

He could be a backup if he's willing to swallow a bit of pride but I don't think he has what it takes to start. 

Users Online

91 Guests, 15 Users (14 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Niagara Als, Taleback, KevinRiley2, drummer_god, Lennywasout, letsgoticats, CFL in QC, smogmonster, StampsRock!, Sidney, Rick16, batkinson001, BillyDee87, Yahoo!, Google (12), Baidu

Most Online Today: 152. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)