bowl450

thanks Depop

PrideLivesHere

"on a side note I heard there might be an announcement on DD within a week."

I sure hope it's good news. We need DD going into 2017 and the new stadium.

With X getting traded, IMHO sit DD and let the backups play to get some experience.

We certainly don't need DD to take any unnecessary hits.
1966, 1989, 2007 & 2013 Grey Cup Champions

Ignoring the Haters since May 11, 2006

nowhereman

depopulationINC

Quote from: "PrideLivesHere"
"on a side note I heard there might be an announcement on DD within a week."

I sure hope it's good news. We need DD going into 2017 and the new stadium.

With X getting traded, IMHO sit DD and let the backups play to get some experience.

We certainly don't need DD to take any unnecessary hits.

Well...the trade deadline passed today....so any news should be good :D

I will note that while I heard from someone something was very close and they were basically waiting for the road swing to be over....but now Murphy kinda kicked around in an interview that negotiations might be later than that still....see underlined below

I loved Murphy's line on trade potential of DD though lol:

http://www.riderville.com/2016/10/12/ro ... ober-12th/

“If people are interested, you can see why,” explained Riders’ Assistant V.P. of Player Personnel John Murphy. “The way Darian’s bounced back from injury early in the season, with the exception of one game, he’s played as well as any quarterback has played. In recent weeks, when you see the fresh legs, his health and his confidence, the receivers are catching the ball for him, he’s getting better blocking and the addition of Curtis Steele has changed things, you’ve seen why Darian has been what he’s been throughout his career. Why wouldn’t teams want him?”

However Murphy says trade talks with Durant never amounted to much. The asking price would simply be too high.

For us to move him, you’d have to give us the ‘A’ in Argos, or something like that,” Murphy said. “There was never any real, serious conversation about that other than teams who had a quarterback injury poking around for the ‘What If’s’. At the end of the day, I think Darian would like to finish his career wearing that #4 jersey and try to make sure no one else ever wears it again. If that’s something that both sides can make happen, either down the stretch or in the off-season, that’s our #1 focus.

Idunno...but from what I heard if nothing else i am a lot more confident a deal will be done before the end of the year at least and it would be more than 1 year.  I sure how that is the case...because right now they have spare SMS to play with.  If it is done now I am thinking it will be a very significant signing bonus and a lower annual rate.  I could see a 400-450per for 3 years with a 200-300 signing bonus...so around 500per...with all the bonus hitting 2016.  If it goes past Dec 31...who knows.  Not a fan of upfront money...but in this situation it makes perfect sense of course.  I think the ideally they do not want to be paying more than 450 out of the season's SMS and would like to be closer to 400.

StormRider1

Lets hope they resign him soon!! we need Doubles!

bowl450

can someone let me know the reason for putting Norwood back on the 6 game injury list as I haven't heard anything ?

Abendschan

Quote from: "bowl450"
can someone let me know the reason for putting Norwood back on the 6 game injury list as I haven't heard anything ?
Not sure if #41 LB Korey Jones is the reason, he's been inserted for this game in Toronto. Not heard any related news either.
Empire Stadium Nov. 1st 1970 -  Autograph by Jack Abendschan

depopulationINC

Quote from: "bowl450"

I would assume that with them being officially eliminated that they put him back on the 6 and said 'let it rest, see ya next year.'  I think he showed that he was physically capable of recovering and was both able to fit and be an upgrade in their scheme....nothing left to prove so he may as well give the injury even more time and see what he does with a full camp.  Right now it is more important to give Leonard more reps that press a guy coming off of major injury.  Leonard has the attributes to be a good player for the team...time to see if he progresses.

Lyle B. Style

I suspect the riders might go down as the best CFL team never to have made the playoffs. They are night and day better than they were a month or more ago.

Kudos to Tennessee Corky and his coaching staff for recruiting some nice ballers, trading others and keeping up the energy.

If they had split the series with Winnipeg they'd still have a sniff. Not much, but a sniff!

Now the problem revolves around whether the Riders choose to re-sign Darian Durant - or let him sign elsewhere as a free agent. I suspect Corky is drooling down his chin with the thought of getting James Franklyn or Drew Tate or somesuch as their starter. Obviously, Corky covets Mike Reilly but that would take a negotiated trade - and Edmonton would be wary of trading their prime asset for hobos and draft picks.

I see the riders as no worse than a 9-9 team next season if Durant sticks. With Franklin or somesuch - they'll still be 7-11 or 8-10 min.
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 27 YEARS, COUNTING!

GC Bound

Well that McKnight is definitely a "keeper" and certainly adds that extra dynamic the Riders have been looking for and needed!!
The Riders will resign DD who by the way is an undisputed better QB then Franklin or Tate. :cowboy:

StormRider1

Quote from: "GC Bound"
Well that McKnight is definitely a "keeper" and certainly adds that extra dynamic the Riders have been looking for and needed!!
The Riders will resign DD who by the way is an undisputed better QB then Franklin or Tate. :cowboy:

Agreed!!  :thup:  :thup:  :thup:  :rockin:

StormRider1

We won, cool, we looked good... did we, or did Toronto make us look great. Our O was flat... O line not holding out for DD IMO. The D looked better, but up against a bunch of rookies and an over priced QB that never made it here. Like I said we looked good against a bad team. we should also beat Montreal, the true test will be against BC. Then I will say yah or nah!! on a side note, Need to sign DD and Naaman, and our new RB McKnight wow he can run, almost reminded me of Sheets!! And I know it's a long shot, but we need to get Xman back come Free agency. Doubles needs a good O line in front of him.

depopulationINC

Sure...the Rider D was up against a pretty hurting Argo O...but they still pitched a no score game until complete garbage time....I don't care who you are playing, that is an accomplishment.  Did they even get into scoring range before that?

The first quarter was a weird one for both clubs...but they did move the ball a bit.  they continued to struggle in the red zone...but they finally put one in...that is a good step.  They also finally came out of a half with a lead and still commanded the game...they have choked with a lead in the past....another stepping stone.

McKnight looked good.  I won't compare him to Sheets because Sheets was a master of the jitter step that did wonders for him.  McKnight showed amazing burst and I love that he can switch direction very well going full out...not many RBs can do that well.  Back in his day he was regarded as the #1 HS prospect in the day and it is great to see he still has that.  I tend to think that a big part of his success was the volume of running attack...he rushed 10 or 12 times in the first half...there is not a team in this league that would have been prepared for that from the Riders.  Don't get me wrong...piles of potential there...but it is one game with a change-up in game approach the team.  His blocking was bad...really bad...it has never been his strength...but it is his first time being the feature back in many years...that needs reps to improve.  He may never be at Steele's top end blocking level...but anything close is a win.

Coleman was a liability at times but got better as the game went on.  He can not protect the outsite swim move.  He needs to go back to RT where he was playing very well, and they need to try King out at LT where he has played most of his career.

This is how I always though/said they would come together...4-6 wins in the second half of the season...I just thought they would have 2-3in the first half....sorry...I still believe the Cox penalty completely robbed them on LD and they squandered one against the Esks....but I have always liked where this team was heading....even when many felt i was nuts....it could be seen....and hell...we are barely scratching the start of this staff's neg list rebirth...the future looks promising for the Riders.  I said that I thought that the very best this team could do was 9-9 and more realistic would be 6-8 wins...for me...they are doing what I hoped.

Biggest point of concern in this one was kick coverage...some solid coverage but a few busts...the reverse you can give some credit on because you don't see that much.

bowl450

Quote from: "depopulationINC"
Sure...the Rider D was up against a pretty hurting Argo O...but they still pitched a no score game until complete garbage time....I don't care who you are playing, that is an accomplishment.  Did they even get into scoring range before that?

The first quarter was a weird one for both clubs...but they did move the ball a bit.  they continued to struggle in the red zone...but they finally put one in...that is a good step.  They also finally came out of a half with a lead and still commanded the game...they have choked with a lead in the past....another stepping stone.

McKnight looked good.  I won't compare him to Sheets because Sheets was a master of the jitter step that did wonders for him.  McKnight showed amazing burst and I love that he can switch direction very well going full out...not many RBs can do that well.  Back in his day he was regarded as the #1 HS prospect in the day and it is great to see he still has that.  I tend to think that a big part of his success was the volume of running attack...he rushed 10 or 12 times in the first half...there is not a team in this league that would have been prepared for that from the Riders.  Don't get me wrong...piles of potential there...but it is one game with a change-up in game approach the team.  His blocking was bad...really bad...it has never been his strength...but it is his first time being the feature back in many years...that needs reps to improve.  He may never be at Steele's top end blocking level...but anything close is a win.

Coleman was a liability at times but got better as the game went on.  He can not protect the outsite swim move.  He needs to go back to RT where he was playing very well, and they need to try King out at LT where he has played most of his career.

This is how I always though/said they would come together...4-6 wins in the second half of the season...I just thought they would have 2-3in the first half....sorry...I still believe the Cox penalty completely robbed them on LD and they squandered one against the Esks....but I have always liked where this team was heading....even when many felt i was nuts....it could be seen....and hell...we are barely scratching the start of this staff's neg list rebirth...the future looks promising for the Riders.  I said that I thought that the very best this team could do was 9-9 and more realistic would be 6-8 wins...for me...they are doing what I hoped.

Biggest point of concern in this one was kick coverage...some solid coverage but a few busts...the reverse you can give some credit on because you don't see that much.

anouther concern was the turnover on 3rd and inches from the shotgun formation, at the Toronto 10 with 1.31 left on the clock.

JimmytheGreek

Quote from: "Lyle B. Style"
I suspect the riders might go down as the best CFL team never to have made the playoffs. They are night and day better than they were a month or more ago.

Kudos to Tennessee Corky and his coaching staff for recruiting some nice ballers, trading others and keeping up the energy.

If they had split the series with Winnipeg they'd still have a sniff. Not much, but a sniff!

Now the problem revolves around whether the Riders choose to re-sign Darian Durant - or let him sign elsewhere as a free agent. I suspect Corky is drooling down his chin with the thought of getting James Franklyn or Drew Tate or somesuch as their starter. Obviously, Corky covets Mike Reilly but that would take a negotiated trade - and Edmonton would be wary of trading their prime asset for hobos and draft picks.

I see the riders as no worse than a 9-9 team next season if Durant sticks. With Franklin or somesuch - they'll still be 7-11 or 8-10 min.

The problem is that they can't get Franklin without making a trade. No he isn't a FA as some have rumored. He still has another year with the Esks so unless Jones wants  to give up probably far too much (this is Edmonton after all and the whole bad blood of Jones jumping ship and all) he isn't going to be available. As for Tate, are you serious? He is a career bench warmer and is more then happy to stay on the bench in cow town  and make a fairly good pay check without even having to go in on 3rd down gambles anymore. Reilly  isn't going anywhere for the next couple of years at least. So that leaves? You guessed it, no one even remotely  close to the caliber of Darian.  

It's not Corky that is doing the drooling over the options but more likely Darian. He has at least 3-4 options. 1) Toronto, yes I said it, Toronto. Yeah they just made a very stupid and desperate trade for Willy and Barker could pay the piper for that one.  Trestmen is now unemployed and sure Montreal is an option for sure but I wouldn't be shocked if Toronto has more then a passing interest also. Say Toronto gets Marc what is  he going to do? I say clean house ala Jones and many a player gets their walking papers and that could easily include Willy. So now Marc needs to make a splash. How about snagging one of the best available options at qb for starters? Darian would certainly fit the bill nicely.

2) Montreal. Montreal is in trouble and big time. Way over the Cap and by a very very large margin. Again Popp may be toast and again there is the very good possibility of Marc landing there. Pretty much the same scenario as Toronto whether it's Marc or someone else (I have all but written Popp out of the picture) again a house cleaning and once again to show the team is serious about turning things around, how about make a splash on FA and sign Darian. It could happen and I know Montreal would bite but Darian may not be so keen on another go at starting from the ashes once again and Montreal would even be tougher then Toronto because of the financial football issues.   +

3) Winnipeg. While Nichols has done a decent job the question is can he perform under playoff pressure? If Winnipeg
gets eliminated in the first round and Nichols craps the bed, then there is going to plenty of heat to find that qb that can lead them to the promise land after all these years. Darian once again would be very appealing obviously because of his leadership and he has more then proven he can take a team on his back and will them to a win. Winnipeg may be appealing to Darian also, he would be once again back with Dressler, Smith and Lapo. This wouldn't be a bit fit for either Darian or the Bombers. It would be a high price for Winnipeg but they may be more then willing to pay it for a legitimate shot at taking it all next year.

Then there is of course the Riders. Darian has made no secret that he wants to go down in history as the greatest qb in Rider history, so that will play a factor. The thing is Darian is not going to sell himself short to do it and it would be a very huge mistake for the Riders to low ball him. The fact is that the Riders need Darian more then he needs the Riders. All the positives that has happened with building up a very good receiving core could all be for naught without a veteran qb that can get them the ball.  All the work done up to now could easily vanish simply because we do not have that proven leader at the most critical position on the team. Darian has more then shown he is healthy, he has proven he is the leader of  the team on and off the field, he has shown great determination to help the team win despite having a very suspect O line all season, having no real options for a run game up to this last game, having to learn yet once again another new offensive coordinators plays, having so many different receivers in and out of the line up and yet he just keeps on trucking. You can not always put a value on all the intangibles that contribute to being a successful team.  Darian hands down has far more value to this team then any other qb that is available.

Jones may think he holds the upper hand  and if he plays it that way he is flirting with his own demise. Darian  knows he can not ask or hold the team for ransom if he wants to stay here but again he isn't going to get screwed over in order to stay here either.

My understanding is that Darian is at a base of 450- 460k as of today. I say we offer him the same base for 3 and an option for the team of another year  and offer a signing bonus  to be paid  this year of 200-250k. If we pay the bonus this season then that is off the books. If we could afford to pay him the 450-460k this year with all the other signings and a few gaffs to boot, then we certainly should have no problem with that same base for the next couple of years. This would be in my opinion a very fair offer and one that should keep Darian in green & white until he retires.

Users Online

175 Guests, 16 Users (16 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Chewbaca1973, rpaege, KevinRiley2, bohdon, ExPat, raymarkca, sully, Niagara Als, danoc_86, RichardVeilleux, Taleback, pw13, BillyDee87, Lyle B. Style, Google (16)

Most Online Today: 365. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)