JimmytheGreek

Kendial Lawrence released also.  A tad late but not unhappy about it either.

PrideLivesHere

Agreed. Too bad we couldn't get something for him though.

Anyone know if the Riders were shopping his contract around - or did they just need the cap space.
1966, 1989, 2007 & 2013 Grey Cup Champions

Ignoring the Haters since May 11, 2006

JimmytheGreek

Quote from: "PrideLivesHere"
Agreed. Too bad we couldn't get something for him though.

Anyone know if the Riders were shopping his contract around - or did they just need the cap space.

Lol what would they get for him? Yeah they probably did put it out there but seriously unless they could catch Toronto like the Bombers did with Willy ( Oh baby did they take it hard on that one) I can't see anyone showing any interest otherwise Jones would have done it. I mean what has Lawrence shown that would have made him appealing to another team? Nope only we bit on this one but at least it's a mistake corrected.

depopulationINC

Capicciotti and Fulton to the Ticats along with Xavier Fulton (sad to see Xman go.... he has been an absolute stud for the team and was a massive part of them bouncing back the past bit...losing him will hurt)

Riders get Linden Gaydosh and a VERY good international WR prospect in Tommy Streeter along with a late pick

I know I had laid out a couple hints on this and mentioned some stuff in IM:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=102517&p=2052762#p2052762

Quote from: "depopulationINC"
Also...I have heard there is a trade close between the 2 teams...but it is not for a QB and it is not for Demski...not a done deal but has been talked about...it will give you guys a solid player if it happens...it is something the Riders have been toying with for several weeks and there are multiple teams interested but not the right deal yet.  I know the Argos have some interest as well but not much the Riders want in return

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=102482

On a side note....I have heard there is a big name on the block......and no it is not Durant.  If anything happens apparently it will likely be in about 9 days.  Source:  A GM in the league not with the Riders.

Sorry for not saying more at the time...but I was not positive it would go through.  There had been multiple teams in discussions surrounding this move...some heavier into it that others.  I know that ideally they either wanted a 1st or a starting able NI DT.

I have mad respect for Caps...he is a solid player but was never in a situation that he would excel in, and that is a shame...but this should be a good thing for him as he will hopefully be somewhere he can showcase himself better.

The Riders are also rightfully impressed with Ese Mrabure.  Kid is getting more reps and just looks better every week.  He was on par or past Caps for this team and its style...

If Gaydosh pans out that is a massive win though and a huge ratio boost.  Problem is he has been in the tub his entire career....so we shall see

If he doesn't pan out then the loss of X hurts the team more than Caps

StormRider1

and our player list from last year again shrinks, we need a strong O line, this just put a big dent in it, Jones the retard!
Cap gone no problem, and we have a strong receiving core now, so this dude not really needed... or is this a DD and Rosey gone at end of season!! God I hope not!! Losing Xman will hurt us!!

depopulationINC

Quote from: "StormRider1"
and our player list from last year again shrinks, we need a strong O line, this just put a big dent in it, Jones the retard!
Cap gone no problem, and we have a strong receiving core now, so this dude not really needed... or is this a DD and Rosey gone at end of season!! God I hope not!! Losing Xman will hurt us!!

A fast 6-5 receiver is always a nice prospect. Handshake agreements mean Fuller may or may not be around next year.  Roosevelt...absolutely no assurance he will not be in Hamilton or Toronto next season...dude grew up in Buffalo and went to school in Buffalo then took the Bills PR offer over other PR offers...I have a wee sneaking suspicion he will head closer to home.  Argos just cleaned out their receivers and he played college ball with Willy...very good chance he is gone.

I am not a fan of departing with X....but as far as a layer shrinking I am sure it is not being suggested that Jones re-signed X just to move him 3/4 through the season....he got a chance to look at a NI starter and took it.......now if the guy never stays healthy that sucks.  This is however a sign that King will be sliding to Tackle and JSJ will be coming back in (or LaBatte/Best)...that is pretty big.  This means they are potentially +2 in the ratio by the end of the season....possibly 3 if Gaydosh plays.

I am a huge fan of X and he is a hell of a guy...and he calls Regina home year round...so that sucks.  I would have much rather liked it if they could have packaged Coleman with it.  I am half expecting X will retire after this season.  That said...pretty sure he is a FA at the end of the season so could very well be back....if he can....dude is getting worn out and I can see him declining big time soon.

This is 100% about the future in this move.

nythril

For Xman .... what was his contract status ? Meaning how long was he still signed for

depopulationINC

Quote from: "nythril"
For Xman .... what was his contract status ? Meaning how long was he still signed for

Not positive...but think just the year

JimmytheGreek

Quote from: "nythril"

Not positive...but think just the year

Almost positive he was an FA at the end of the season.  He could still be back if that is the case but not likely. Yeah losing Caps was not an issue as he was not made for this system and again a bonus against the cap flushed down the crapper. Still there was no point keeping him because of that as he just wasn't working out here.

X has been out best O linemen and yes this really stings. Moving Coleman and Caps would have been a very sweet deal but perhaps Jones all ready made his mind up to not have him back next year so thus moving him now.

Still Darian must not be thrilled losing even more protection when it has been crap all season to begin with.

nythril

It makes sense then .... Xman is a rental for a few months if he is in his final year of his contract. All the best to him and wouldn't mind seeing him back next year

bowl450

IMO the key to resigning Durant is to build a dominant O-Line,
with X gone, Best and Labatte possibly having career ending injuries, I would be taking a long hard look at what the future holds for protection if I was Durant.
you can have all the defense you want but if your offence cant move the ball and score points, your ???
look at Calgary, their best defense is a heck of an offense 525 to 331 points for and against, for a 13, 1 and 1 record
and Montreal, with out a quality starting QB, 307 to 346points for and against for a 4 and 10 record,
Calgary and Montreal 1 and 2 for points allowed and 1 and 8 for points scored.
Montreal's D is doing their job but their O is not doing theirs ?
in order for a team to be successful they have to have both, a good D as well as a good O, having one without the other is getting you not far ?
that being said, what is out there for free agents at the end of this season ?

Jindred313

Quote from: "bowl450"
with X gone, Best and Labatte possibly having career ending injuries, I would be taking a long hard look at what the future holds for protection if I was Durant.
you can have all the defense you want but if your offence cant move the ball and score points, your ???
look at Calgary, their best defense is a heck of an offense 525 to 331 points for and against, for a 13, 1 and 1 record
and Montreal, with out a quality starting QB, 307 to 346points for and against for a 4 and 10 record,
in order for a team to be successful they have to have both, a good D as well as a good O, having one without the other is getting you not far ?

The fact that Fulton is an international makes him very expendable. There are plenty of good or great Int O-Lineman sitting out there on the market right now. Canadian talent is what is harder to find.

Best is done IMO. Too many injuries of late, and he isn't young anymore at 33. It gets harder and harder to come back.

We just extended Labatte so it looks like he'll be back.  Which is good news.

We has St. John, Clark, Vonk, and Jones left for national talent as well.

Jarriel King looks good thus far and will probabaly take  the LT spot over for the rest of the season and we will see what he is capable of there for next year.
Colman is alright at RT but I think we could do better. Lots of young lineman out there looking to make a name. I'm not worried.

depopulationINC

Quote from: "Jindred313"

The fact that Fulton is an international makes him very expendable. There are plenty of good or great Int O-Lineman sitting out there on the market right now. Canadian talent is what is harder to find.

Best is done IMO. Too many injuries of late, and he isn't young anymore at 33. It gets harder and harder to come back.

We just extended Labatte so it looks like he'll be back.  Which is good news.

We has St. John, Clark, Vonk, and Jones left for national talent as well.

Jarriel King looks good thus far and will probabaly take  the LT spot over for the rest of the season and we will see what he is capable of there for next year.
Colman is alright at RT but I think we could do better. Lots of young lineman out there looking to make a name. I'm not worried.

Don't forget about Guy.  He was picked up for future considerations, as they knew he was iffy for this season going in.  If not for his injury last year he is potentially a top 3 pick in the draft class.  The Riders are actually looking very good for the future for NI OL.  

it sucks losing a great left tackle like X...but the Rider season is done and they picked up a potential starting ratio player....2 picks atop that is just icing on it all.  X lives in Regina...if he wants to come back next season I believe that he would be welcomed.  They lack a proper blindside OT for now I believe...but Coleman was alright and King is supposed to be better than him there.  Also...don't forget that they have a couple promising 22 year old international linemen.  They were thrown into the fire and had their struggles...but cmon...they are 22 and the new guy is 23.  4 young guys OTs on the PR developing...they have thought this through.

If I am DD I am looking at the 6 NIs that they have and the solid RT in Coleman, the versatile player in King and thinking yeah...I like where this is going.  I then look at the receivers...even DD himself has stated that the size of the receivers is something they have never had before and that he really likes it...knowing they can win out some passes.  You see him passing into coverage now like he never has before.  Roosevelt (potentially), Fuller (potentially), Holley, Edwards, Collins...If I am a QB I grin at that potential.  Then you see Craig...dude surprised people last week....looks like he has some game.  Street....6-5 and fast as heck...yep....looking forward to that.  Steele....amazing blocker.   Any QB is going to like this team....how can they not.

This team was crushed by injuries on the OL right out of the gate...then the starting RB and an important blocker in a pass heavy O goes down...look how that has all changed in the past month.  Sure...the last game was close...but they dominated that game.  They get some continuity out of the gate and all these guys knowing each other going in...add in another OT maybe...another RB....yeah...looks pretty good for next season.  The key right now is NI depth....and they just improved on that with this move.  The injuries have been insane this season.  People get put on the 6 to hide...but most of that is legit for the Riders this year.  There have been maybe 3 people hidden on it in total....that is scary for how long it has been.  For a rebuilding team that didn't have depth and lacked NI players...it was simply too much to overcome for a lot of the season.  the last 6 weeks or so have shown that this team is heading in the right direction though,

In his interview today Murphy has stated that they intend to move to 2 international DEs...I mean how couldn't they.  There are players there that love the system but they have expressed concerns about potential depth issues and getting reps...problem solved with this move and concerns addressed.  Jefferson/Norwood at DE with Newsome rotating...cmon....that sounds nice.  Mrabure has proven he can mix in there for legit reps as well.  

You now have Gaydosh...knock on wood...with a new player coming in to back him, Muamba with Grondin (I think he has a pile of potential) backing him, Hecht or a new guy at Safety.  That is 3 ratio spots on D....Campbell and Mrabure as ratio by committee assistance at times.  If Elie Bouka makes it to the team...wow.  

So on O you play 4....3 on the OL....4 if JSJ does progress to OT...Guy can back him at OT potentially.  At 3, that means only 1 receiver actually has to be Canadian...Bagg.

O is in good enough shape that I would anticipate a DT getting drafted with their first pick....WR with their second.

bowl450

I see that Gaydosh was placed on the 6 game injury list ?

depopulationINC

I see that Gaydosh was placed on the 6 game injury list ?

Yes...he is next year territory.  He was on the 6 when traded for.  It was known going in.  I was kind of hoping they would go with Atkinson because of Gaydosh's injury history...but if stays healthy he is one of the top few NI DTs.  To put it in perspective....Stefan Charles was in the same draft class and has managed to stick in the NFL for 4 seasons so far...almost everyone who played against the 2 at the CIS level have said that Gaydosh was always viewed as having the edge.  He is a solid baller and a big pickup if he actually gets and stays healthy.  With Atkinson, Gaydosh was expendable for the Cats...who have been drafting extremely well at DT since Austin/ET showed up.

If he for some reason doesn't pan out...hey...its cap space off the books for a player that had been surpassed and a couple picks.  It seems like a good trade both ways.

on a side note I heard there might be an announcement on DD within a week.

It was also stated that the Riders have the most cap room of any team...part of that being that money was set aside to bid heavy on Jones...but he is sticking in the NFL by the looks of it.  I would think there will be some extensions coming shortly with front loaded contracts...nice situation to be in.

Users Online

141 Guests, 11 Users (15 Spiders, 4 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
bobo82, Tipper, drummer_god, Lennywasout, Slomojo2005, rockfish, Niagara Als, Yahoo!, Google (14)

Most Online Today: 300. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)