depopulationINC

Interesting Depop, you are absolutely correct about ET and BT.

Gotta tell you though, not a big fan of the "1 Year" deals with players.
Yeah...those suck, but players are anticipating a bigger bump in the CBA...honestly, if they don't get something to it I see a shortened season...something the league can not afford.  Going to see a PILE of free agency across the league after the 2018 season.

greenandwhite

Itd be nice to get another solid db. There are a few available. Itd solidify that defense. 

depopulationINC

Itd be nice to get another solid db. There are a few available. Itd solidify that defense.
agreed.  Specially if Rodgers goes.  That said, Butler is probably the best on the team at this point, and Gainey is no dud.  Butler/Gainey/Johnson is a good team, and Rodgers did not progress as much as I thought he would last season, he is still ok in there.  Hoping he takes a step this season if back...because he was superb in 2016.  They still have a couple of other guys who it will be interesting to see if progress after some shell shock in 2017

Iconic SR

Who on current secondary roster is at risk to age out soon?

GC Bound

agreed.  Specially if Rodgers goes.  That said, Butler is probably the best on the team at this point, and Gainey is no dud.  Butler/Gainey/Johnson is a good team, and Rodgers did not progress as much as I thought he would last season, he is still ok in there.  Hoping he takes a step this season if back...because he was superb in 2016.  They still have a couple of other guys who it will be interesting to see if progress after some shell shock in 2017
DB??  How about that guy from Winnipeg........TJ Heath
Probably too much $$$$$

depopulationINC

agreed.  Specially if Rodgers goes.  That said, Butler is probably the best on the team at this point, and Gainey is no dud.  Butler/Gainey/Johnson is a good team, and Rodgers did not progress as much as I thought he would last season, he is still ok in there.  Hoping he takes a step this season if back...because he was superb in 2016.  They still have a couple of other guys who it will be interesting to see if progress after some shell shock in 2017
DB??  How about that guy from Winnipeg........TJ Heath
Probably too much $$$$$
I am sure he will be getting a call if he hits free agency.

depopulationINC

Johnson, who already said on video in an interview last season that he has lost a step and it has forced him to be more diligent about doing his homework and working on his angles.

He will be a good coach some day if he chooses.

bowl450

Yeah...those suck, but players are anticipating a bigger bump in the CBA...honestly, if they don't get something to it I see a shortened season...something the league can not afford.  Going to see a PILE of free agency across the league after the 2018 season.
If the new CBA does not address the issue of players contracts, I can't see any player signing for more than 1 year without a guaranteed contract.
Why would you ?
As rumored, Collaros received his bonus up front from the Riders and not at the back end of his contract that Hamilton had in his contract, this may be the new norm for contracts ?

depopulationINC

Yeah...those suck, but players are anticipating a bigger bump in the CBA...honestly, if they don't get something to it I see a shortened season...something the league can not afford.  Going to see a PILE of free agency across the league after the 2018 season.
If the new CBA does not address the issue of players contracts, I can't see any player signing for more than 1 year without a guaranteed contract.
Why would you ?
As rumored, Collaros received his bonus up front from the Riders and not at the back end of his contract that Hamilton had in his contract, this may be the new norm for contracts ?
Why would you...the team generally looks at you more as the future, and you also generally get paid more than in a one year deal (not always).  If it is your first or second contract you are going to get substantially less on a one year deal.  It would not be uncommon to get 30 points more on a 3 year deal than a one year deal as an established vet...the guys who buck that trend to some degree are premier players, but even they will make less.  You may recall the JSJ contract as a perfect example.  One year was near base, 3 years was 3x+ as much per.  There is also the tendency for longer term players to become fan favorites....that means something to a lot of players.

"signing bonus" is a big deal for an American still living in the US.  There are tax shelters within that.  Retention and roster bonuses...not so much.  Players will take whatever they can get for bonuses, but roster bonuses are a huge risk for them.  If this was a multi-year deal it would be a signing bonus with back end bonuses as well, and would likely have some incentives built into it...but it was a one year deal floating some upfront cash his way to save 100+ in SMS over the season.  Some also like those because it is assurance of + cashflow in the offseason.  back-end deals open the doors to ties being cut and that not being paid (see it a lot) but the benefit / idea is that a few mixed into some contracts allows renegotiation of a new contract if the SMS gets tight and you need to shuffle some money around.  At the end of the day the reason 'most' take the back loaded contract is it is the only way they can get the number they want negotiated...they know the risk in doing that.  Personally, I never went for that...my stance: I would rather make a little less but know it is going to hit my pocket book.

Iconic SR

Johnson, who already said on video in an interview last season that he has lost a step and it has forced him to be more diligent about doing his homework and working on his angles.

He will be a good coach some day if he chooses.
Always liked him, even years ago when he was relatively new. In 2007 when he was a Rider and after winning the Grey Cup, Johnson handed my 15yr old son the Cup when the team walked into the hotel after the game. Just gave it to him like he was part of the whole deal. Memory for life. 

Users Online

100 Guests, 14 Users (19 Spiders, 4 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Espo, schmenger, Iconic SR, brianjoxx, FootbalYouBet, Onemoredork, heapbag, Wildcat42, Lyle B. Style, JackHammer41, Google (AdSense) (7), Google (12)

Most Online Today: 172. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)