depopulationINC

Was not overly anticipating a win...really tough to do that in a home and away and it is not like the Bombers are not a good team.

Looking at the 6 there are a lot of guys on there that would be playing now...so it is encouraging that there was pretty good compete despite the score...much like the Bombers last week.  James was missed and it entirely changed how the D was called...not anticipating him back soon either.  No adjust in the attack o the line until it was too late.

couple woulda coulda shouldas for missed INTs and Bombers finally got back to their INT ways that makes their D...if they are not picking some off it is a pretty bad D because they surrender so many big plays.

Bombers dominated in the second half...despite the score in the first half I would say overall the Riders played better....but that second half was pretty dominated.

Lyle B. Style

Other than Glenn being unable to conduct time-controlling drives for TDs (he did take advantage of broken bomber coverage for the bomb TDs) the Riders really missed Cameron Marshall as their primary RB - - - - no slight to Winnipeg native Keenan LaFrance but Marshall could have taken advantage of Winnipeg's known tendency to arm tackle and strip to womp off some bigger gains (like 25 to 40 yds) vs. LaFrance who was raking up smallish gains of 5 to 10 yds vs. the same tackling.

Bombers D-line stepped up a tad more than the woeful effort they submitted last week in Regina - they actually put a decent push on Glenn - and in the second half the bomber secondary un-sandbagged itself and stunned Glenn by being in position to shut down his passing game for the most part.
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

JimmytheGreek

Well that game was a big reality check. I was of course hoping for a win but not shocked that we didn't get it. The biggest disappointment was all the mistakes that were made on and off the field.  Getting tricked by the Bombers pointing to the opposite side of the field to where the kick return was going was almost laughable but far too many on the cover team bit hard on it. Carter taking the ball out of the  end  zone instead of giving up a single was another. Now if he had made up his mind he was going to come out  he needed to get on his horse and come out flying but instead it looked like he changed his mind and knew he should have given up the point and then hesitated and then it was too late. Trying the two short kicks was highly questionable too. Sure I get it that we just scored and to get the ball back again perhaps we score again and really put the pressure on the Bombers but instead we gave them a short field and they score right away so that one certainly backfired. The short punt was just plain stupid and didn't fool anyone. Jones not challenging the phantom pi near the end of the half putting the ball on the one really ticked me off. Sure I get it we had all ready burned one time out on not having the right amount of players on the field (another mental mistake) but it was an obvious blown call by the refs on the PI as the receiver had tripped over his own feet and the defender only made contact after the fact if at all. Instead of gong into the half down by 6 we gave them a free 4 more points. Now the second half Winnipeg played far better and with Glenn getting hurt it really put us in a hole.

The biggest thing now is the question of Glenn's health because I just don't see Bridge as the answer.

It is also very obvious to me that with James out the defense is once again highly suspect. From what you mentioned though Depop it doesn't sound good as far as getting James back anytime soon which is a huge blow. We need to either get a NFL cut in to fill that gap or I'm afraid things will not go well on D. Really hope Glenn's injury is not serious and he can play the rest of the season if not I have a feeling the rest of the season goes into the toilet.

Yes the loss sucks but what even sucks more is the potential loss of Glenn and James. One game losing  is not the end of the season but losing these two players may be.    

depopulationINC

Other than Glenn being unable to conduct time-controlling drives for TDs (he did take advantage of broken bomber coverage for the bomb TDs) the Riders really missed Cameron Marshall as their primary RB - - - - no slight to Winnipeg native Keenan LaFrance but Marshall could have taken advantage of Winnipeg's known tendency to arm tackle and strip to womp off some bigger gains (like 25 to 40 yds) vs. LaFrance who was raking up smallish gains of 5 to 10 yds vs. the same tackling.

Bombers D-line stepped up a tad more than the woeful effort they submitted last week in Regina - they actually put a decent push on Glenn - and in the second half the bomber secondary un-sandbagged itself and stunned Glenn by being in position to shut down his passing game for the most part.

Marshall was missed, but not as much as one thinks really.  If one cherry picks that huge run from LD out of the picture...which was really and anomaly...LaFrance actually averaged substantially more on the ground than Marshall did the previous week.  His blocking seemed pretty good overall, but he did mess up on a couple of plays along the way...for his first game as the feature back with the team I thought he did well.

I didn't think the Bomber DL played great or anything...I felt most of that was on coverage.  Despite a few massive busts the Bombers secondary seemed to have Glenn looking down multiple reads and finding nothing.  There were several plays that there seemed to be no checkdown option even employed for him.  This is where a QB with some mobility is nice, because he simply takes a half dozen strides and slides....FD or close to it.

depopulationINC

Well that game was a big reality check. I was of course hoping for a win but not shocked that we didn't get it. The biggest disappointment was all the mistakes that were made on and off the field.  Getting tricked by the Bombers pointing to the opposite side of the field to where the kick return was going was almost laughable but far too many on the cover team bit hard on it. Carter taking the ball out of the  end  zone instead of giving up a single was another. Now if he had made up his mind he was going to come out  he needed to get on his horse and come out flying but instead it looked like he changed his mind and knew he should have given up the point and then hesitated and then it was too late. Trying the two short kicks was highly questionable too. Sure I get it that we just scored and to get the ball back again perhaps we score again and really put the pressure on the Bombers but instead we gave them a short field and they score right away so that one certainly backfired. The short punt was just plain stupid and didn't fool anyone. Jones not challenging the phantom pi near the end of the half putting the ball on the one really ticked me off. Sure I get it we had all ready burned one time out on not having the right amount of players on the field (another mental mistake) but it was an obvious blown call by the refs on the PI as the receiver had tripped over his own feet and the defender only made contact after the fact if at all. Instead of gong into the half down by 6 we gave them a free 4 more points. Now the second half Winnipeg played far better and with Glenn getting hurt it really put us in a hole.

The biggest thing now is the question of Glenn's health because I just don't see Bridge as the answer.

It is also very obvious to me that with James out the defense is once again highly suspect. From what you mentioned though Depop it doesn't sound good as far as getting James back anytime soon which is a huge blow. We need to either get a NFL cut in to fill that gap or I'm afraid things will not go well on D. Really hope Glenn's injury is not serious and he can play the rest of the season if not I have a feeling the rest of the season goes into the toilet.

Yes the loss sucks but what even sucks more is the potential loss of Glenn and James. One game losing  is not the end of the season but losing these two players may be.    
A win would have been huge...but yeah...not shocking in a home and away really.

I was worried about special teams last week as it was the first real dip in their showing this season...pretty clear they never put extra time into in practice last week.

The Bomber sleeper play was beautifully executed.  but the Rider onside punt was ridiculous.  put it in the air, because it was not going to fool anyone.

I am mixed on Carter taking it out.  I don't mind it because missed FGs generally provide big returns, but his indecision was horrible.  He does less dancing and get even to the 15...great.

James was not as big of effect as I thought it would be TBH....they still did well against the rush, where he predominantly played.  Jones was simply not bringing the heat like the 3 previous weeks...I think he was trying to do a different look to make Nichols/Bombers readjust strategy...but in the end I think he outthought himself on it.  Keep the pressure...because when they have it has turned out well.

bowl450

quote from article by Jamie Nye " For instance, the punt return touchdown as Kevin Fogg played the decoy and had the Roughriders cover team going the opposite direction from where the ball really was. Maurice Leggett only had three Riders in his way because of the well executed misdirection "

doesn't the cover team know where the ball is being punted to ?

depopulationINC

quote from article by Jamie Nye " For instance, the punt return touchdown as Kevin Fogg played the decoy and had the Roughriders cover team going the opposite direction from where the ball really was. Maurice Leggett only had three Riders in his way because of the well executed misdirection "

It was a well played fake.  You don't see the ball so you assume it was a shank.  Basic coverage philosophy is to stay in your lanes though.  This is Oshea...a fundamental like that needs to be preached in practice all week.

I will say that it was set up beautifully though.  Fogg stayed behind Leggett, so a toss across the field was also an option.

Lyle B. Style

It was a well played fake.  You don't see the ball so you assume it was a shank.  Basic coverage philosophy is to stay in your lanes though.  This is Oshea...a fundamental like that needs to be preached in practice all week.

I will say that it was set up beautifully though.  Fogg stayed behind Leggett, so a toss across the field was also an option.
Mattias Dunigan said it was a shank - so I'll take it at full value until I hear from Chris Jones or his special teams coach.
It was perhaps the best executed and most magical trick play I've seen in 50 years of CFL gridiron - the only one that might have been better and executed by design was the infamous Bomberooskie play from around 1971-72 thereabouts!

Only question I have was how do the bombers know the punter is going to shank the pigskin - and set up that marvellous set of circumstances that allowed Fogg and a crew of bomber blockers to deceive almost everyone wearing green?

So my conclusion is the play must have been initiated once the shanked punt was recognized (first and it appears only by the bombers) - everyone did their job; Fogg's work should get an Oscar - Leggatt's runback was beautiful but he only had to beat a couple mopes. Thought for sure Feoli-Gudino would take a blocking from the rear penalty to negate the TD once Leggatt had broke for glory - that seems to be a bomber specialty (ie. taking idiotic clipping penalties when dropping to the turf would be the better option)

Preisst

Marshall was missed, but not as much as one thinks really.  If one cherry picks that huge run from LD out of the picture...which was really and anomaly...LaFrance actually averaged substantially more on the ground than Marshall did the previous week.  His blocking seemed pretty good overall, but he did mess up on a couple of plays along the way...for his first game as the feature back with the team I thought he did well.

I didn't think the Bomber DL played great or anything...I felt most of that was on coverage.  Despite a few massive busts the Bombers secondary seemed to have Glenn looking down multiple reads and finding nothing.  There were several plays that there seemed to be no checkdown option even employed for him.  This is where a QB with some mobility is nice, because he simply takes a half dozen strides and slides....FD or close to it.
I agree on LaFrance.  I thought he did quite well.  Going into the game I didn't like the idea of missing Marshalll but it ended up not being much of an issue. 
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!

depopulationINC

It was a well played fake.  You don't see the ball so you assume it was a shank.  Basic coverage philosophy is to stay in your lanes though.  This is Oshea...a fundamental like that needs to be preached in practice all week.

I will say that it was set up beautifully though.  Fogg stayed behind Leggett, so a toss across the field was also an option.
Mattias Dunigan said it was a shank - so I'll take it at full value until I hear from Chris Jones or his special teams coach.
It was perhaps the best executed and most magical trick play I've seen in 50 years of CFL gridiron - the only one that might have been better and executed by design was the infamous Bomberooskie play from around 1971-72 thereabouts!

Only question I have was how do the bombers know the punter is going to shank the pigskin - and set up that marvellous set of circumstances that allowed Fogg and a crew of bomber blockers to deceive almost everyone wearing green?

So my conclusion is the play must have been initiated once the shanked punt was recognized (first and it appears only by the bombers) - everyone did their job; Fogg's work should get an Oscar - Leggatt's runback was beautiful but he only had to beat a couple mopes. Thought for sure Feoli-Gudino would take a blocking from the rear penalty to negate the TD once Leggatt had broke for glory - that seems to be a bomber specialty (ie. taking idiotic clipping penalties when dropping to the turf would be the better option)
Didn't look like a shank punt...perhaps he meant they faked that it was shanked.  I have seen essentially this exact same play a few times....I don't think in the CFL...it was executed beautifully though yes.  The logical place for it to be kicked was the sideline inside the 20...which is exactly where it was.  Probably 99/100 punts are going to be aimed there in that situation, and it seemed like a nice punt actually.

Lyle B. Style

Marshall was missed, but not as much as one thinks really.  If one cherry picks that huge run from LD out of the picture...which was really and anomaly...LaFrance actually averaged substantially more on the ground than Marshall did the previous week.  His blocking seemed pretty good overall, but he did mess up on a couple of plays along the way...for his first game as the feature back with the team I thought he did well.

I didn't think the Bomber DL played great or anything...I felt most of that was on coverage.  Despite a few massive busts the Bombers secondary seemed to have Glenn looking down multiple reads and finding nothing.  There were several plays that there seemed to be no checkdown option even employed for him.  This is where a QB with some mobility is nice, because he simply takes a half dozen strides and slides....FD or close to it.
I agree on LaFrance.  I thought he did quite well.  Going into the game I didn't like the idea of missing Marshalll but it ended up not being much of an issue.

It appears LaFrance has usurpred Nic Demski as the top ex-Bison canuck off prior drafts. LaFrance has one advantage - he was groomed by some superior guys in Ottawa - and didn't have to suffer thru the entrails of the Champ Chamblin regime, where Demski had to put up with a discombobulated coaching and management group.

As far as speed is concerned LaFrance is no match for either Demski or Cam Marshall in the open field. LaFrance might be a decent 4.85 to 4.9 in the 40 while Demski is probably a clean 4.7, Marshall slightly faster. Marshall has the superior burst of all 3 guys - and the burst was what the riders missed as he could easily have turned those 7 to 10 yd Lafrance gains into 20 to 35 yd bursts!

Preisst

It appears LaFrance has usurpred Nic Demski as the top ex-Bison canuck off prior drafts. LaFrance has one advantage - he was groomed by some superior guys in Ottawa - and didn't have to suffer thru the entrails of the Champ Chamblin regime, where Demski had to put up with a discombobulated coaching and management group.

As far as speed is concerned LaFrance is no match for either Demski or Cam Marshall in the open field. LaFrance might be a decent 4.85 to 4.9 in the 40 while Demski is probably a clean 4.7, Marshall slightly faster. Marshall has the superior burst of all 3 guys - and the burst was what the riders missed as he could easily have turned those 7 to 10 yd Lafrance gains into 20 to 35 yd bursts!
So Marshall would have tripled what LaFrance did.  Thanks for your optimism but I believe that your self loathing and utter disdain for anything Manitoban is clouding your judgement once again.   Why do you still live there if you hate it so much?

Lyle B. Style

Lafrance is an asset to any CFL team - so it Demski with a bit of re-programming. Still both relatively young - the bombers would kill to have either guy on their squad.

Demski is automatically better than any Canadian on the bombers now - Felony-Gudino is a better blocker & special teams guy.

LaFrance is a better runner than Demski (who woulda thunk it) but lacks that programmed American burst that a guy like Marshall possesses.

Not saying Marshall would have run for triple the yards - just would have broken into open space once he blew past the first layer. Maybe a couple runs of 25 to 40 yds in addition to his regular stuff of 3 to 6.

Users Online

69 Guests, 2 Users (13 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Evil Doctor, Yahoo!, Google (12)

Most Online Today: 116. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)