Taleback

Riders don't have Bridge though. He is free in Feb. Not sure he would be interested in backup money without at least checking things out in free agency if that is all Jones is willing to give him right now. Then Franklin says thanks but no thanks to Sask, Bridge finds a team willing to pay him starter cash during his day of free agency, and bang their both gone.

depopulationINC

Riders don't have Bridge though. He is free in Feb. Not sure he would be interested in backup money without at least checking things out in free agency if that is all Jones is willing to give him right now. Then Franklin says thanks but no thanks to Sask, Bridge finds a team willing to pay him starter cash during his day of free agency, and bang their both gone.
He might not be interested but he has stated that he likes the Riders and how they are developing him.  There may not be "starter" money out there for him.

Riders are holding onto the KG card for a reason....it is smart.

Where will he go?  The realistic options for a crack at starting are Hamilton, Saskatchewan, BC, Montreal.  

I understand that the old management it out in Montreal...but there has to be some sourness there.  Is he going to really roll the dice with the oh so trustworthy Kavis?  Could I guess.  I would imagine DD has a bonus due early January...we shall see what happens there

BC...Jennings to the NFL sounds like a negotiation tactic to me.  Look at his season...NFL teams are going to give him real offers right now?  Camp invite, sure, go for it.

Hamilton had a fair bit of success with Masoli, so it wouldn't shock me if they rolled with him...or potentially Johnny football.  I think both plays are a mistake...but I see them doing it.

Ottawa can tie in there I guess....they have nothing locked up.  I would think they will unless they are all in on Franklin.  Seems like a case of a GM playing chicken with his QB to keep the negotiations a bit lower.  

Ray sounds like he will be back

So really there are 5 teams that might look at him...there are really 3 that he would have a 'respectable' chance at winning that starting spot.  Then there are Franklin and likely ZC hitting the market.  This is a big year for potential pivot moves.  If we were to go out on a limb and say that every QB stays put, who are the 2 teams likely looking for a new #1?  Montreal and Saskatchewan.  

ZC is due a whopping 250k roster bonus Feb 1st...so we shall see how that plays out as well. 

All this said, things change fast if Franklin goes to the NFL.  I still believe there is a solid chance he is going to get a real look.

StormRider1

Jones is in an unenviable position right now IMO. He is going to want to wait for Franklins' free agency and then take a run at him, but in doing so he is risking Bridge. He can't really commit to Bridge right now if he is wanting Franklin so bad, Hopefully he doesn't end up losing both of them.
Well we know Jones will do what he thinks is the best for the future.
I think BB has time yet to grow to potential.
I would let Glen go and try for both Franklin to start, Bridge as back up for another year or two.
But hey I'm not Jones....
If Franklin comes here, and I'm Bridge, I look elsewhere, both want to be starters. Are either ready to start, Bridge maybe, I have not seen what Franklin can do... but I am sure it will be one or the other, not both!!  KG  will be here as a starter ??  Adams I am not even interested in, never liked his play...JMO

depopulationINC

Jones is in an unenviable position right now IMO. He is going to want to wait for Franklins' free agency and then take a run at him, but in doing so he is risking Bridge. He can't really commit to Bridge right now if he is wanting Franklin so bad, Hopefully he doesn't end up losing both of them.
Well we know Jones will do what he thinks is the best for the future.
I think BB has time yet to grow to potential.
I would let Glen go and try for both Franklin to start, Bridge as back up for another year or two.
But hey I'm not Jones....
If Franklin comes here, and I'm Bridge, I look elsewhere, both want to be starters. Are either ready to start, Bridge maybe, I have not seen what Franklin can do... but I am sure it will be one or the other, not both!!  KG  will be here as a starter ??  Adams I am not even interested in, never liked his play...JMO
Again...all comes down to what potential starting jobs are on the table. 
Ray
Bo
Reilly
Collaros
Harris
Nichols
and I will throw in Jennings for hahas because he is inked for 18

That is 7 starters in a 9 team league.  There is also probability that Masolli gets the nod as an 8th.  That leaves 1, maybe 2 spots, and that is if Durant is indeed done in Montreal.  If I had to choose between the 2 I take Franklin without even blinking, but either way, at least one of these guys appears to be in a backup role next season....or at very minimum in a dogfight for the #1 spot...if they go into camp in a dogfight they are not getting that undisputed starter cash.  Riders should be landing one of Franklin, Bridge, Collaros or Harris....the numbers just work out that that is pretty likely.

GC Bound

Personally, watching Bridge and some of Franklin along with Jones (I think now undisputed) ability to spot talent I don't think BB is a starter next season anywhere (and I like his potential). He has also said he really like Saskatchewan and the Rider coaches so I still see a "good" possibility that Franklin, because of Jones and the Riders being serious Grey Cup contenders in 2018 comes to the Riders and BB stays as well.....
Just one potential scenerio

Frankly I think the two would/could make a deadly QB duo next season if it ever turned out that way!

Iconic SR

This is true. BB isn't locked up yet. Any word on this? The night of the GC game the word was a letter/offer from BB's agent had been sent to the Riders. Sounded like BB wanted to be in Sask, but no idea what those $ looked like

Iconic SR

Personally, watching Bridge and some of Franklin along with Jones (I think now undisputed) ability to spot talent I don't think BB is a starter next season anywhere (and I like his potential). He has also said he really like Saskatchewan and the Rider coaches so I still see a "good" possibility that Franklin, because of Jones and the Riders being serious Grey Cup contenders in 2018 comes to the Riders and BB stays as well.....
Just one potential scenerio

Frankly I think the two would/could make a deadly QB duo next season if it ever turned out that way!
I think this could be incredible. Franklin, BB, & Glenn as a QB scenario.

PrideLivesHere

Whoever ends up as the starting QB, the O-Line has to protect them.

I was just looking at the Free Agents list and there are a few NI O-Linemen, that could become available in mid Feb.

Are there any good Non-import O-line that the Riders should go after?
1966, 1989, 2007 & 2013 Grey Cup Champions

Riderville - Where Football Matters.

depopulationINC

Whoever ends up as the starting QB, the O-Line has to protect them.

I was just looking at the Free Agents list and there are a few NI O-Linemen, that could become available in mid Feb.

Are there any good Non-import O-line that the Riders should go after?
I am waiting to see what happens with Clark.  I would think one of he or Dyakowski is probably gone, perhaps both, but Dyakowski is not a FA, so I suspect he will play the other OF spot and they will bring in another guy they already have over the duration of the season. I am half anticipating he will be gone and Blue will take his spot.  I think Bladek will start fairly early into 2018.  Zver I think is a bit of a longer term project, and I think he will be the 2nd backup.  It will also be JSJ's time to play or be considered a bust.  A guy like Best took a few years to get in there...so I am not writing him off just yet.  Zyver is one of the guys I was pretty high on and talked up pre-draft as a potential steal, so when he was landed via BC I was pretty excited at his potential.  Bladek is simply the real deal, or sure seems like he will be.

CFL FA tracker is here for those that have not noticed it:
https://www.cfl.ca/fa18/

I know most are looking at the OL as the spot that is going to get chased the most for upgrades for the Riders, but unless a good opportunity comes I believe they will attempt building within.  They have been paying a lot of SMS 1g (Zver), 46 (JSJ), other (White, Guy) for guys not playing in attempt to kickstart development.  If you can get a good cycle going and develop your own guys and get them a taste of playing time on that first contract, the second is where you can get some good return at a bit of a discount.  It is a huge part of their cap management strategy, and it really does take some time for this one to really kick in...but I think they are pretty close.  I would say it really needs 1.5 more years to get it where they really want it.

I have not looked too close at the list yet...there are not seeming to be some as many OL NI gems as last year at a glance, but guys like Mateas, Thorn, Albright, Blake, maybe Beard in that order are probably ones to watch...but it is not as deep as last season.  Mateas is the clear prize.  I think it is more likely that if they are going to chase something it will be a NI DT and possibly a NI WR depending on how things play out there with pending in-house FAs.

PrideLivesHere

Thanks for the info. Depop.

depopulationINC

Demski getting a look from the Giants
Kacy Rodgers the Vikings and a couple other teams showing interest.
Bridge to be worked out by Giants

PrideLivesHere

Argos now have the rights to negotiate with Franklin.

depopulationINC

interesting

They have had zero talks with him but made a trade.
https://www.tsn.ca/argos-send-ol-woods-to-esks-for-franklin-1.940607

When VA was picked up I had kinda figured the probability on JF was pretty low TBH.  Still...if the Argos and JF then they got him pretty cheap.  Seemed Franklin was pretty open that he wanted to explore free agency and potentially the NFL...so will be interesting how this one plays out. 

GC Bound

interesting

They have had zero talks with him but made a trade.
https://www.tsn.ca/argos-send-ol-woods-to-esks-for-franklin-1.940607

When VA was picked up I had kinda figured the probability on JF was pretty low TBH.  Still...if the Argos and JF then they got him pretty cheap.  Seemed Franklin was pretty open that he wanted to explore free agency and potentially the NFL...so will be interesting how this one plays out.
Yeh didn't see that one coming......Seems less likely JF will end up in Saskatchewan??

nythril

I wouldn't worry much over the argo's early access to Franklin. If Franklin wants to test FA then he will and we will have equal access. If Franklin had indicated that the Argo's were his first choice then we were never in play for him any way.

It would be nice to sign him but that is his choice - no sense folks fretting over something that out of our hands.

At his age he is looking at back up status in the NFL or starter in the CFL. Double the money in the NFL but at 26 he may not be given the opportunity to grow into an NFL starter ( unless he gets lucky on the injury front to the starter ). In the CFL he could start for atleast 4 teams ( Sask - BC - Montreal - Argos if Ray retires - Hamilton potentially) really only edmonton, calgary and now Ottawa are locked down for starting QB next season

Users Online

96 Guests, 13 Users (26 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Grover, Hammertown Proud, btharner, greenandwhite, MrLucky, c-way-dude, ExPat, bowl450, StampsRock!, RichardVeilleux, Google (AdSense) (10), Google (16)

Most Online Today: 182. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)