depopulationINC

First Off we need to fix our O line, a little to leaky in my opinion, also a D line that can get sacks, yes 3 man rush is one reason why our sack count was way down, but still. As for QB, BB is starting to show signs he maybe ok, still to early to tell. All this talk about The unproven Franklin, still boggles ones mind, Regardless what Depop says, he's unproven and I think way to much has been placed on this unknown. JMO
IMO the issue on the OL is largely coaching.  Mike Scheper had some woes with a mess of injuries last season so it was tough to give a fair judgment.  They moved him to new duties...I think shaping him for bigger things for his future...that is awesome.  Problem is that brought in Stephen Sorrells.  Now he seems like a good guy...but this was his first look at the CFL....his first look at an extra player on the field to look to block...his first look at that one yard gap.  IMO he failed hard.  That is not saying he will not improve...I don't know.  He seems like a knowledgeable guy...I personally wish they brought in a guy like Chris Best. 

The skill is there on the line.  Clark is probably the weakness and he is not exactly a dud.  But...Dennis goes from hands down the best OLman in 2016 at LT to a bust at LT to hit and miss at RG...I don't think so.  There is an issue there with coaching.  The pros are that he elevated Coleman and transitioned Blue to do remarkably well at C...so he may have a future as a positional coach here, but he has a fricken ton of homework to do....LOTS

I am still not a massive fan of so much 3 down front on D, but this team brought 4+ 1/3 as much as the top sacking teams in the league and 10% less then the team closest to them...they finished with half as many sacks and were right in the mix for pressures...the kicker though is 3rd in interceptions.  That is pretty impressive...because you have to remember it was about a 3rd through the season before the D started coming together and they actually started getting interceptions and were well in last place in the category at that point.  That makes where they finished with it all so much more impressive.  Still...I would like to see more spurts of 4 man pressure mixed in there.  Minter being injured was a big part of that turnaround.  I wasn't over the moon with his signing....by no means hated it, but James and Cox are big improvements in the middle.  More competition needed...but those guys are good.

As far as Franklin...yup...unproven.  When you look at potential for backups though I think that most GMs (Hell, I will say it...all GMs) and most coaches in the league would place him a distinct #1 in that category...Bridge is likely #2.  If Bridge can cure a couple issues he could be dominant...huge if though.  Not a fan of running backwards 18 yards and doing the same spin so often and not a fan of some of the balls he tries forcing.  IMO he does too much with his legs.  It is awesome to have that ability and bust out when needed but I don't like legs being the strength of a QB.  like I said...piles of potential there so would be by no means disappointed to see him given a crack.  If I had to pick I for "starting here and now" it would most definitely be Franklin.

bohdon

Ummm I was just being sarcastic about the Drew Willy thing, sorry bout that I should try to be more to the point. My point being a lot of folks thought Willy would be a star.

Franklin unfortunately I have not watched, so I guess I know nothing really. Just saying he seems like a big unknown to me.

OTOH I do value your views depop so thanks.

If it were up to me I'm pretty sure doubles would still be here but that's very old news now.

After what this team did this year I've no issues with any of their choices, they've more than proven how little I know. It's just nice to be excited about where this team seems to be heading and I hope the success continues.

Oh yea this quick release stuff you mentioned, sounds nice, I do like KG for his quick release and I do believe it is a major advantage for the offense in that it gives the defense less time to react... 1 missed tackle can be a wonderful thing.

GC Bound

Ummm I was just being sarcastic about the Drew Willy thing, sorry bout that I should try to be more to the point. My point being a lot of folks thought Willy would be a star.

Franklin unfortunately I have not watched, so I guess I know nothing really. Just saying he seems like a big unknown to me.

If it were up to me I'm pretty sure doubles would still be here but that's very old news now.

After what this team did this year I've no issues with any of their choices, they've more than proven how little I know. It's just nice to be excited about where this team seems to be heading and I hope the success continues.

Oh yea this quick release stuff you mentioned, sounds nice, I do like KG for his quick release and I do believe it is a major advantage for the offense in that it gives the defense less time to react... 1 missed tackle can be a wonderful thing.
I personally never thought Drew was a potential 'Premier' QB and for Glen I've followed him from the beginning, but he always seems to lose concentration and his interceptions kill him not to mention KG unfortunately has never been able to close the Big Game.
During the Semi Final KG was absolutely hot and on the money, Come the Final he couldn't play to level needed to win the big one.......has been his curse.
I really like KG and it's to bad he couldn't take it to the Grey Cup.....He's been in the Big Game but hasn't won it.

depopulationINC

I actually picked up on that more after I typed it and said "me F it" lol

Franklin is a prospect and by no means a given...don't get me wrong.  His poise for his experience is really impressive though.  He rolls the pocket without panic and keeps his head looking downfield.  IMO he is a cerebral guy who is pas first and works non-stop on bettering his mechanics.  His throwing mechanisms remind me somewhat of a guy like Dickenson with a faster release and better mobility...that is a big statement.  What is impressive is that he seems to already know when to take off or kill the play and when he uses his legs he generally goes sideways not backwards (my biggest concern with Bridge)...that is what separates him from Bridge at this point but that can by all means change.  

Glenn has a quick release in a different sense.  He makes fast decisions and lets it go with strong mechanics, but his actual timed release is (assume) good but not spectacular.  When you are talking actual release time stats that is a measurement of snap to pass release.  This is massive massive massive for short timing routes.  Glenn is pretty good at it, but better at a quick release when sitting in the pocket reading...not exactly the same thing.  This is something that has become an important measurement in the NFL starting about 12-15 years, and huge in the last 5 or so.  

Unfortunately, it is not a stat talked about in the CFL (yet) so we don't get a lot of great figures...so I will talk NFL a bit.  Put it in perspective of this...
- A decade ago there were maybe a couple QBs that were <2.5s and the average was above 3s.  
- The average now is is, IIRC, 2.46s
- in 2012 there were 7 QBs <2.5s
- in 2013 there were 11 QBs <2.5s
- in 2014 there were 13 QBs <2.5s
- in 2015 there were 20 QBs <2.5s
- in 2016 there were 26 QBs <2.5s
- Andy Dalton was the lowest a couple years ago at 2.20s, Tom Brady was next at 2.26
- Brett Hundley (Green Bay) is the highest this season...look at the results.
- Alex Smith was the fastest last season...he had just a stunning year

Now...don't get me wrong, there are factors in this all.  Eli Manning has a stellar release time, but that is because his OL sucks...not because he is excelling...he is just trying to survive and putting up garbage in effort...at a fast rate.  The top guys like Brady, Smith, Brees...those are good examples, so you have to take a wider look at the number than simply the number itself.

Another issue is the man snapping the ball.  Let's look at Clark.  Most guys get a hand on the sidish of the ball and palm it for grip while guiding with a hand on top when snapping.  Clark has short arms and small hands...he can't do that.  What he has started doing...and a big reason he has looked a lot better...is he puts the nose of the ball in the palm of his hand to snap.  This locks up both the wrist and the grip and gives amazing control but does 2 things...ONE - it is a slightly slower ball in velocity and that is because of TWO - the ball comes sideways so has more resistance...that is to say that instead of coming nose first the nose is pointed more straight up.  This actually adds a 3rd matter...the QB has to change a catching the snap motion significantly...something that the have been doing their entire life...not the end of the world, but that is a big change.  Yep...more control...way way more control, but slower

I know this sounds trivial at first, but it is a huge deal as defenders simply get faster and learn to react faster.

greenandwhite

I was never a Drew Willy fan. 

Franklin, I think, will be pretty good in this league. He's got a strong arm and decent mobility and appears to have the smarts for the position. Limited reps I know. I guess Jones and his staff know more about Franklin and can make that call. 

Bridge has a strong arm, good mobility, but sometimes lacks the intelligence or awareness. This can be coached up, but I don't think we are as successful next year if we name Bridge the starter right out of the gate. He is probably a year or two away from being the starter. 

They could probably look at someone like Collaros if they don't go the Glenn route (I believe he is under contract). Collaros' numbers were down last season but there were far greater issues on that team than the quarterback. 

bowl450

BB looks like a QB with potential considering the O-Line was a liability this year,
what would BB look like with a good O-Line in front of him ?
either BB or Franklin will be adequate dependant on sufficient playing time that both need to develop to get to the next level.

StormRider1

We also need one more change, but can't see it happening, and that's a new Offensive Coordinator. Macadoodoo's plays just suck along with his play calling!!

depopulationINC

We also need one more change, but can't see it happening, and that's a new Offensive Coordinator. Macadoodoo's plays just suck along with his play calling!!

I would agree in the first half of the season...he was awful.  Hell, I have screamed it from the mountain tops since the day it was announced he was coming in for 2016...once he actually balanced the playcalling some the O looked pretty good though.  The last 3rd of the season for sure it looked strong.  If he hadn't balanced things out I feel he would be toast...not now though...unfortunately.  If he can be call things like he did later in the season he is fine IMO...but I would also be happy with a change, but that seems unlikely

GC Bound

I have no doubt at all that Jones will do a full court press to sign Franklin.

Interesting read on CFL QB's from Jeff Krever:   https://www.cfl.ca/2017/12/01/taking-spin-quarterback-carousel/

depopulationINC

Interesting read on CFL QB's from Jeff Krever:   https://www.cfl.ca/2017/12/01/taking-spin-quarterback-carousel/

Thanks for posting this...solid writeup.  He did seem to totally ignore that there is supposed interest in Jennings though.  I don't agree with everything, like LeFevour moving, and I think that Bridge has a solid chance of landing back here...but they are going to chase Franklin first.

"Not only does Franklin have the physical tools that scouts desire in a pro quarterback (6-foot-2, 225 pounds, strong arm, quick release), his dedication to his craft is almost unparalleled."

the bolded is a point that I have brought up a couple times as a big reason I am high on this guy.

GC Bound

Interesting read on CFL QB's from Jeff Krever:   https://www.cfl.ca/2017/12/01/taking-spin-quarterback-carousel/

Thanks for posting this...solid writeup.  He did seem to totally ignore that there is supposed interest in Jennings though.  I don't agree with everything, like LeFevour moving, and I think that Bridge has a solid chance of landing back here...but they are going to chase Franklin first.

"Not only does Franklin have the physical tools that scouts desire in a pro quarterback (6-foot-2, 225 pounds, strong arm, quick release), his dedication to his craft is almost unparalleled."

the bolded is a point that I have brought up a couple times as a big reason I am high on this guy.
Agreed Depop.
This the part I like from Jeff Krever  :"I view Franklin as the missing piece of a potential Chris Jones/Saskatchewan Roughriders dynasty".

Iconic SR

Do you foresee Franklin, Bridge and Glenn all in the Rider stable, or who’s leaving?

Taleback

Jones is in an unenviable position right now IMO. He is going to want to wait for Franklins' free agency and then take a run at him, but in doing so he is risking Bridge. He can't really commit to Bridge right now if he is wanting Franklin so bad, Hopefully he doesn't end up losing both of them.

GC Bound

Jones is in an unenviable position right now IMO. He is going to want to wait for Franklins' free agency and then take a run at him, but in doing so he is risking Bridge. He can't really commit to Bridge right now if he is wanting Franklin so bad, Hopefully he doesn't end up losing both of them.
Well we know Jones will do what he thinks is the best for the future.
I think BB has time yet to grow to potential. 
I would let Glen go and try for both Franklin to start, Bridge as back up for another year or two.
But hey I'm not Jones....

Iconic SR

I actually think Jones is in a great position. Riders have lots to offer Franklin (or anybody for that matter). Highest exposure in the league, best stadium in the league, best training and workout facilities and player clubhouse in the league, best fans in the league, a strong mandate and direction from upper mgmt, and a dedicated, hard working coaching staff. No controversies, no drama. Just a focus on winning another Grey Cup asap. Whether Franklin is interested or not - we currently have BB, KG, and Adams.

Not a bad position at all.

Users Online

66 Guests, 13 Users (13 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
SeaFiddle, of course, Niagara Als, MrLucky, Mightygoose, ExPat, Lennywasout, letsgoticats, cividan, RedandWhite, Chris_87, FootbalYouBet, Google (13)

Most Online Today: 141. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)