okie

"Justin Capicciotti, defensive backs Jovon Johnson and Brandyn Thompson, running back Jeremiah Johnson and defensive tackle Keith Shologan are all likely heading elsewhere. Others who could find a new home: Quarterback Thomas DeMarco, receiver Marcus Henry, linebacker James Green, fullback Jordan Verdone and defensive linemen Andrew Marshall and Marlon Smith."

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/01/29/ott ... 7e6401497a

QQ One-Nine

@CFL_News  
A #CFL insider said Jeremiah Johnson, who earned $65,000 last season, was looking to double that & then some. - @TimCBaines #CFL #RedBlacks

For playing about a third of a season. Sure, dude.

Assuming that's even true, of course. Not wild about relying on "sources" and "insiders".

I'm also not convinced about Capicciotti playing for about $150K. When the hell would he have signed THAT deal? Dude had 20 tackles and two sacks in two seasons with Edmonton prior to being taken in the expansion draft. Not exactly top dollar conditions.  He wasn't a free agent last year, unless they quietly rewarded him for an outstanding 2014.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.

mick87

$150k does sound pretty high, isn't that what Foley was making? Not sure if he's quite at his level.

Any idea how much DeMarco was getting? I'll be interested to see what happens if he goes elsewhere. Maybe O'Brien will move up the ladder.

QQ One-Nine

Quote from: "mick87"
$150k does sound pretty high, isn't that what Foley was making? Not sure if he's quite at his level.

Any idea how much DeMarco was getting? I'll be interested to see what happens if he goes elsewhere. Maybe O'Brien will move up the ladder.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up chasing Lulay. Lulay is facing being a back up to a 20-something year old as opposed to a 41-year old. Most teams have their starter picked out but Ottawa would be the team most likely needing to replace theirs soon. Take a year to continue to get healthy and see you in 2017.

mick87

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up chasing Lulay

I was thinking the same thing. He still has a few years left and he brings with him significant CFL experience.

QQ One-Nine

I was thinking the same thing. He still has a few years left and he brings with him significant CFL experience.

Less flashy, but Toronto's Brendan Gillanders was the Argos special teams captain, I believe, and is originally from Ottawa. Think we can use some help on special teams?  :|  Might be a good replacement for Verdone.

Quick reference:

http://www.cfl.ca/players/brendan-gillanders/

QQ One-Nine

From the Ottawa CitiSun: "Besides, the Redblacks are better off than some CFL counterparts this off-season. With only 12 potential free agents as of Tuesday..."

Capicciotti, Justin OL National
DeMarco, Thomas QB International
Green, James LB National
Henry, Marcus WR International
Hinds, David DB International
Johnson, Jeremiah RB International
Johnson, Jovon DB International
Marshall, Andrew DE National
Richards, Jeff DB International
Shologan, Keith DL National
Smith, Marlon DE International
Thompson, Brandyn DB International
Verdone, Jordan LB National

I count 13. Any guesses as to who might have re-upped? I already removed Jamill Smith because he said on Twitter that he was in for 2016.  

On Twitter, Jeff Richards sure sounds like he's a member of the team...Could be that he signed and that it wasn't announced because he's just not well-known.

QQ One-Nine

I'll throw this out here.  

Jovon Johnson
One thing I can say is I respect @REDBLACKSGM he's been upfront since day 1! He's very good at what he does and I wish the team much success

Nice to read about the guy who supposedly lied to Kevin Glenn (yet said something totally different publicly) and screwed over running back Jonathan Williams.  Ever see THAT guy's Twitter feed?  Yikes...

QQ One-Nine

Gord Holder:

The RedBlacks have 11 (free agents to be), including Canadians Capicciotti, Keith Shologan, Andrew Marshall, Jordan Verdone and James Green.

Holder should write about this more often because every time he does, the number gets lower.

Capicciotti, Justin   
DeMarco, Thomas   
Green, James
Henry, Marcus   
Hinds, David   
Johnson, Jeremiah   
Johnson, Jovon   
Marshall, Andrew   
Shologan, Keith
Smith, Jamill   
Smith, Marlon   
Thompson, Brandyn   
Verdone, Jordan

So again, 13 listed, even though Jamill Smith says he's signed up again. Jeff Richards no longer appears but he's not showing as signed or extended, his name has simply been removed.

Apparently then, once of these guys in black (in addition to Smith) is signed and unannounced, or doesn't actually belong on the list.

QQ One-Nine

In the free agency preview, Sutherland talks about David Hinds as though Hinds is expected to be back there so I suspect he's the other guy that's quietly extended his contract.

http://www.ottawaredblacks.com/2016/02/ ... y-preview/

QQ One-Nine

Tim Baines just posted a list of departing players on Twitter. David Hinds is not included.

Neither is Jamill Smith, mind you, but we knew that already.

GC Bound

Signing Trevor Harris>>>>>>>>Excellent sign for Ottawa and the CFL league stability!! :cowboy:

QQ One-Nine

Quote from: "GC Bound"
Signing Trevor Harris>>>>>>>>Excellent sign for Ottawa and the CFL league stability!! :cowboy:

Yeah, I'm kind of eager for that to be made official. Sounds like the contract is back up money year one, starter money year two, just when Burris should be due to retire anyway.

Meanwhile, Shologan is reportedly going to Winnipeg.  I liked him, but I'm not too bent over that one. I liked Zack Evans more.

Jeremiah Johnson offered a deal by BC, apparently.

QQ One-Nine

Quote from: "CRFadmin"

Less flashy, but Toronto's Brendan Gillanders was the Argos special teams captain, I believe, and is originally from Ottawa. Think we can use some help on special teams?  :|  Might be a good replacement for Verdone.

Quick reference:

http://www.cfl.ca/players/brendan-gillanders/

Right on, this looks to be happening, according to Tim Baines. Verbal agreement.  :thup:

mick87

Yeah, I'm kind of eager for that to be made official

Just saw a quick clip on Twitter from Desjardin officially welcoming Harris to the team. What a great pick up.
Also saw that Jovon may be heading to Montreal. He also posted a comment in the past tense with regards to playing in Ottawa.

Users Online

200 Guests, 12 Users (13 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
tabbiefanmcb, rcon, bowl450, bobo82, DisplacedCatsFan, Grover, Rick16, papazoola, TheBreeze, smokeystover, schmenger, Google (12), Baidu

Most Online Today: 261. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)