FootbalYouBet

absolutely love the cfl sized hockey rinks in other continents.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

oo DAWG oo

Will there ever be another moment like this  .........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ns63s9i3k
There has been a few.. But that goal will never compare to the '72 summit series.

Aerial

"Miracle on Ice" with the the Americans winning the gold in Lake Placid agains't the Russians was unbelieveable.  Even though I'm not American, that will be etched in my memory forever.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Hank01

There has been a few.. But that goal will never compare to the '72 summit series.
  I second that 72 was just bigger and meant more at the time . The schools had TV's in the gym and we listened on the radio in the classroom when Henderson scored . I just think media caught up to the moments in the present so you can record the reaction  better but that moment he scored in 72 the whole country felt vindicated we were still the best at hockey . The whole country felt like we were at war with Russia and communism not just hockey it was about our way of life .

TravelPat1

I agree about Hendersons goal and the reaction to it.  The Americans winning the gold in 1980 was 'miraculous' but did not have a Henderson or Crosby goal moment where about 80% of the country went completely bonkers all at once.

In fact the biggest moment in that USA 'miracle' was when they beat the Russians - which was not the Gold Medal game. But that game against the Russians wasn't even shown live on American TV. Those near the border (and in Lake Placid itself) could see the game live on Canadian TV - but most of America watched that 'Do you believe in miracles?' win by the USA on tape delay in prime time on ABC about 5 hours tape delayed.

One of the funniest images related to the 2010 Gold Medal game - this chart that compares water usage in Edmonton on the Saturday afternoon (the day before the Gold Medal game) with the Sunday during the game. And because so many people were flushing toilets after each period or after the anthem - the water use chart looked like this.

DAN38

Took the words outta my mouth, Dawg.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

Aerial

Trying to compare the "Miracle on Ice" and the '72 Series is really not something that accomplishes anything, at all.  Both are great with their own stories and personalities and with different countries and where hockey is the most important aspect in one country, well from a historical perspective, and where hockey is not in the other.  Like comparing apples and oranges but both are equally important from a story perspective to specific audiences.   The forces in media are trying to keep the "hockey ideology" as Canadian first and foremost among youth and everyone as "Canada's game" "most important" and all that but this is a losing battle with more immigrants coming to the country to keep our population up and the more that CTE comes to the fore about the risks of playing contact hockey.  Times are a changing.

Remember, a lot of people don't and have never cared about hockey in Canada.  Hockey now is viewed as an elitist sport in Canada among many, due to costs I believe for the most part,  and that was not the case when I grew up playing the sport as someone born in 1956.  Back then it was just something every Canadian kid did, whether their parents were floor sweepers or CEOs of companies.  We played on outdoor rinks as house league calibre and shovelled the snow on the ice before and after games.  Right in S Ontario in London, Ont.  I bet house leagues nowadays around these parts play in indoor arenas.

Hank01

I like what Wayne Gretzky has said" my dad couldn't afford to have us play hockey now it's too expensive ". He went on to say "his dad would find a way" but he made his point clear hockey ;which was a sport we all could play even with old hand me down equipment etc. is done . 

Minor hockey requires a parent to pay and play . 

MY friend estimated for his kid to play triple aaa hockey it was between 5 and 10 thousand a year mainly because of the travel expense commitment  . They would enter tournaments in the states and all over . It appeared to be a club for the parents to socialize than anything else . Chance to talk and socialize with people they never would meet without junior playing hockey .

If they had another kid it would have been interesting if they would have done the same thing . He literally played hockey all year round . Never played another sport in his life . 

Wayne said that he played other sports growing up and the kids today just play hockey . He went on to say because he was small and skinny he may have been left behind as the trend today is that size matters . 

Still remember Guy Lafleur sneaking a puff of a cigarette on the bench of the Montreal Canadiens . 

I know it's not healthy but I get a kick out of Olympic Curling ;if it was real curling that I was brought up on there would be a rum and  coke in one hand and a cigar in the other . The sound of brooms when sweeping and hitting the ice was deafening back then . Not sure when the drinking on the ice stopped probably around the same time smoking was banned but it was heck of a way to enjoy the sport .

MY curling sweater always reaked of smoke . AH the good old days .

Aerial

Hank, I was with my ex at Percé Rock in  Gaspé Peninsula and we saw Mike Bossy as any NHL fan of those years knows, smoking cigarettes walking on the beach, one after another.  Heard that Guy Lafleur used to smoke between periods.  No word of a lie.

My Dad would help me tie up my skates as a kid before a house league game on the outdoor ice with a cigarette blowing away.  Just how it was back then.

Hank01

Hank, I was with my ex at Percé Rock in  Gaspé Peninsula and we saw Mike Bossy as any NHL fan of those years knows, smoking cigarettes walking on the beach, one after another.  Heard that Guy Lafleur used to smoke between periods.  No word of a lie.

My Dad would help me tie up my skates as a kid before a house league game on the outdoor ice with a cigarette blowing away.  Just how it was back then.
   Yep different times then not sanitized and scrubbed clean of all the germs of life 's dirty and unhealthy habits . 

People just lived and let live with a little more laissez - faire attitude with less government interference and less structure over kid's recreational lives .

FootbalYouBet

Cant believe how much I have enjoyed the mixed curling.  Very impressed with both of the curlers.

beaglehound

Took the words outta my mouth, Dawg.
Was never a hockey fan until the'72 Summit Series.  Knew very little about the game.  Haven't looked back since.  I became an avid fan of the game after Henderson's goal.  I must admit though that my interest has waned somewhat.  Regardless, I remember exactly where I was when I saw Henderson's goal.   

Aerial

No question it's tough to beat as the most Canadian historic and iconic sports moment that Henderson goal and I'm saying that as a hockey fan that I'm not as much of nowadays compared with what I used to be.  Albeit I'm not as much of a sports fan overall as I used to be come to think of it simply because sports has become more of a business "money thing" compared to yesteryear.  And therefore my view of sports as transcending greed and money is totally outdated and irrelevant, sadly.

FootbalYouBet

I remember the excitement at the time.  However, I became disillusioned about it after seeing the movie about it, assuming that if anything, the movie would be slanted against the Russian, I was disgusted by the portrayal of the Canadian players.  Their ignorant attitude and comments regarding the Russiana was shameful. 

"Vladislav Tretiak, the great Soviet goalie, said via e-mail last week, “I realized in full the rudeness and impudence of the Canadian players".  Yeah, me too

just a few of the unpleasant details

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/02/sports/hockey/in-hockeys-1972-summit-series-between-canada-and-soviet-union-cold-war-got-colder.html

Aerial

Good read FYB but I think it's necessary to put this in context, I mean hey, we are Canada, Canadians, hockey is our no. 1 sport at least at the time of the '72 series and we, with "our best" just about got beat by a bunch of "amateurs" from some European nation that doesn't really get what playing in the NHL is about for a Canadian.

Combine that with the fact that as Canadians, many of us do have a "holier than thou" mindset when it comes to who are the best hockey players on the planet, well the thinking back then anyways.  So it sort of partially explains the "rudeness" and "impudence" on the part of the Canadians.  These NHL players were basically almost upstaged by a bunch of "amateurs".  Tough on the ego for many.  

Shameful comments?  Sure, I'll agree but then I've been shameful, I'm a human being afterall, and so is everybody else, doctor, lawyer, pro athlete politician etc. we all have to take our pants down to go and take a crap.  Even the Queen.  ;)

Life goes on, you admit your mistakes, and move on.  If you hold grudges and bad vibes forever, it's going to put you in the grave before your time and just make you a miserable person.

Phil Esposito or whomever can be somewhat excused for being a human, I hope.  :-\

Users Online

82 Guests, 6 Users (13 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
blackandgld, ExPat, bobo82, TravelPat1, Grover, sully, Google (13)

Most Online Today: 137. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)