TravelPat1

Even though it is not a great way to win (the other guy stopping in the 4th set with an injury) another HUGE win for the Canadian kid who was up 2 sets to 1 at the time of the withdrawal..  

Now incredibly into the Round of 16 in a major for this kid - who most casual tennis fans knew very little about a few months ago when the kid was ranked 250th in the world.  Now on to the final 16 at the US Open - a tournament he had to play last week in the qualifiers for.   Incredible!

And the hype builds for the youngest player to get this far in the US Open since 1989.  One of the comments on the ESPN telecast today... 

John McEnroe - "The breath of fresh air this sport needed'

And this incredible headline tonight - considering we are in the middle of ome of the biggest tourneys of the year that had many seeded players winning today)- this on the tennis.com website tonight - 'Which legend does Denis Shapolavov remind you of?'

Can't get much more hyped than that.  Sunday - another tough opponent for Shapolavov as he faces the # 12 seed Carreno Busta.

Go for it kid. You've got almost the entire tennis world and others cheering for you. 

Lyle B. Style

This is great news for Canadian sports fans, even if El Shapo is stopped before advancing further!

U.S. tennis fans, yearning for a champion of their own since Sampras retired - will cheer for him until he gets to the finals - THEY CERTAINLY DON'T WANT CANUCKS STEALING THEIR THUNDER.

Right now - with Serena birthing and their tennis men very weak - the USA is not very good at a sport they once dominated semi-regularly (ie. McEnroe, Chrissy, Agassi, Stan Smith, Sampras, Connors, etc.)
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

KevinRiley2

Boy Shapovalov has beautiful hair.  When guys have hair that blond, they seldom keep it.  Hope he does. 

Happy to have he represent Canada because he had many choices!
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Lyle B. Style

Boy Shapovalov has beautiful hair.  When guys have hair that blond, they seldom keep it.  Hope he does.

You somehow managed to grossly insult Andre Agassi with your comment. Anyways, Andre has no shortage of fine-lookin' women comin' out of his ying-yang . . . isn't Jennifer Lawrence his latest?

KevinRiley2

You somehow managed to grossly insult Andre Agassi with your comment. Anyways, Andre has no shortage of fine-lookin' women comin' out of his ying-yang . . . isn't Jennifer Lawrence his latest?
How did I insult AA?

All I meant was, most people with fair hair lose it.

P.S.  Isn't A.A. married to Steffi Graf?  Perhaps you mean someone else.

Lyle B. Style

How did I insult AA?

P.S.  Isn't A.A. married to Steffi Graf?  Perhaps you mean someone else.
Yes, Andre is married to another tennis legend Steffi Graf. He was also married to American super-model Brooke Shields for a few years in the 90s!

KevinRiley2

How did I insult AA?

P.S.  Isn't A.A. married to Steffi Graf?  Perhaps you mean someone else.
Yes, Andre is married to another tennis legend Steffi Graf. He was also married to American super-model Brooke Shields for a few years in the 90s!
Why did you mention Jennifer Lawrence?  Is there a rumour they are together?

TravelPat1

Shapolavov is back on Arthur Ashe Stadium court tomorrow vs. the # 12 seed Carrena Busta. First match of the day probably with the roof closed with rain expected in NYC tomorrow. Start time 11:00AM on TSN.

Can the kid knock off another seeded player?

Lyle B. Style

Shapolavov is back on Arthur Ashe Stadium court tomorrow vs. the # 12 seed Carrena Busta. First match of the day probably with the roof closed with rain expected in NYC tomorrow. Start time 11:00AM on TSN.

If it were Milos Raonic taking on Busta I would imagine everyone would just wait for Raonic's body to break down.

But this is El Shapo - he's pretty fresh and not known for breaking down - although he seems adept at breaking down others!

KevinRiley2

If it were Milos Raonic taking on Busta I would imagine everyone would just wait for Raonic's body to break down.

But this is El Shapo - he's pretty fresh and not known for breaking down - although he seems adept at breaking down others!
He's got nothing to lose.  Maybe he will do well.  With Nadal and Federer on the other side of the bracket, with a few breaks, the Final is possible.

KevinRiley2

Federer in 3 sets. Nice to see.  He needed an easy match.

KevinRiley2

Kid is down 2 sets to none.  :(

Both were tie breaker losses.  :(:(:(

TravelPat1

The kid showed he was a kid playing a veteran. The veteran played the key points better winning all three sets in tiebreakers. 

But what a summer for the kid. Who would have thought with what happened in February in the Davis Cup - that a few months later the kid would not only be a star here in Canada - but see himself being referred to as a 'future superstar, in fact he is a rockstar' in the words of Chris Evert. 

And through it all the kid has seemed to handle it all with such class - even today when losing with the way he saluted the New York crowd as he was leaving the court. 

Nice run Denis!   

Aerial

I guess he lost, but he's young, his time will come I'm sure.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

TravelPat1

Yup he lost - but by making the Round of 16 the kid made a cool $250,000 USD for the tournament.

And with how the New York crowds fell in love with him - I suspect some big buck endorsement deals are already in the works too.

Users Online

108 Guests, 16 Users (13 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
bobo82, Mightygoose, everyman, ed ohmnes, Mr. Pike, Lyle B. Style, Stampeder67, MtnCat, Taleback, Krisiun, Count Floyd, RichardVeilleux, EastVanMark, Bayargonaut00, dcmoses, Yahoo!, Google (11), Baidu

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)