nguyenMTL

Lets temper the Shapstick love by remembering how Genie Bouchard temporarily hoisted up Canada as a tennis nation 3 years ago by reaching two grand slam semi-finals and the Wimbledon final. That said, Genie was severely routed in her two semi-final opportunities and completely dominated (think a mature 25 yr old tennis superstar vs. a petulant 5 yr old) by Kvitova in 20 minutes or so at Wimbledon. After getting thrashed by Petra K. Genie has never been the same - focusing on her immense modelling opportunities but degrading her tennis.

Shapo is a different person. But this was NOT a tennis major. Joker & Stan the Hangman weren't on hand. He beat a crippled Del Potro and had an amazing match vs. a Top 3 player that he managed to convert to victory (Nadal).

But Zeryev dominated the young Canadian in two strong sets before a veritable home-town Shapo crowd.

Lets see what the kid does in his next 10 to 15 tournaments before we hang the Genie of the Week award on him.

Milos Raonic is the one true star Canada has produced. Unfortunatley, this lumbering giant no longer powders his serve like he used to. Plus, his fitness and body conditioning have proven to be suspect. He breaks down when he's going good - and when he's going bad - he's really going bad.

Still, no question the best tennis player Canada has ever produced. Men or Women.
1) Regarding Genie, her decline is reminiscent of Ana Ivanovic's. Their decline are such a pity, considering that they both had potential and are the two most attractive female tennis players of the 21st century imo.
Also, I have to point out that she wasn't routed at Roland-Garros in 2014, as she was close to win against the mighty Sharapova. 
2) Shapo has been fantastic this past week, and his playing style is different from the rest of the pack, which is refreshing. However, I agree with you that we shouldn't get carried away too fast about him.
I gotta disagree with you regarding the Zverev-Shapo matchup. The two of them were evenly matched, with Shapo being broken everytime because of double faults. I honestly believe that Federer would have lost on Sunday against either of the two players.
3) Milos needs to be in top shape in order to have a terrifying serve + decent movement on the court. Also, the fact that he ditched Moya for Kraijcek clearly didn't help his form in 2017.
However, I expect him to be much better in 2018, and hopefully win a GS either in Australia or at Wimbledon.

Lyle B. Style

Lets temper the Shapstick love by remembering how Genie Bouchard temporarily hoisted up Canada as a tennis nation 3 years ago by reaching two grand slam semi-finals and the Wimbledon final. That said, Genie was severely routed in her two semi-final opportunities and completely dominated (think a mature 25 yr old tennis superstar vs. a petulant 5 yr old) by Kvitova in 20 minutes or so at Wimbledon. After getting thrashed by Petra K. Genie has never been the same - focusing on her immense modelling opportunities but degrading her tennis.

Shapo is a different person. But this was NOT a tennis major. Joker & Stan the Hangman weren't on hand. He beat a crippled Del Potro and had an amazing match vs. a Top 3 player that he managed to convert to victory (Nadal).

But Zeryev dominated the young Canadian in two strong sets before a veritable home-town Shapo crowd.

Lets see what the kid does in his next 10 to 15 tournaments before we hang the Genie of the Week award on him.

Milos Raonic is the one true star Canada has produced. Unfortunatley, this lumbering giant no longer powders his serve like he used to. Plus, his fitness and body conditioning have proven to be suspect. He breaks down when he's going good - and when he's going bad - he's really going bad.

Still, no question the best tennis player Canada has ever produced. Men or Women.
1) Regarding Genie, her decline is reminiscent of Ana Ivanovic's. Their decline are such a pity, considering that they both had potential and are the two most attractive female tennis players of the 21st century imo.
Also, I have to point out that she wasn't routed at Roland-Garros in 2014, as she was close to win against the mighty Sharapova.
2) Shapo has been fantastic this past week, and his playing style is different from the rest of the pack, which is refreshing. However, I agree with you that we shouldn't get carried away too fast about him.
I gotta disagree with you regarding the Zverev-Shapo matchup. The two of them were evenly matched, with Shapo being broken everytime because of double faults. I honestly believe that Federer would have lost on Sunday against either of the two players.
3) Milos needs to be in top shape in order to have a terrifying serve + decent movement on the court. Also, the fact that he ditched Moya for Kraijcek clearly didn't help his form in 2017.
However, I expect him to be much better in 2018, and hopefully win a GS either in Australia or at Wimbledon.
A moot point but Genie BooBoo is more like Anna Kournikova than Anna Ivanovic. The 3 of them represent 3 of the top 5 looking women in tennis history - Ivanovic at just over 6 ft. tall could easily have been a top fashion model - she's simply stunning.
But Ivanovic had nearly a 70% winning percentage in her near 12 year career. Plus a grand slam win plus a couple of final appearances to boot. 15+ million in career earnings - she was no ordinary WTA hobo - didn't meet expectations because she didn't have the wild force of will gals like the Williams sisters, Chris Evert, Martina, etc. possessed. These ladies played as if they were possessed. Serena still does.
Ivanovic never really got over in North America - other than her amazing pictures and fashion shoots. She spoke in a childish pidgeon English which didn't add to her allure.
Kournikova spoke broken English and basically was a fashion model pushed into professional tennis. It didn't suit her as she was unwilling to do the work, basically painting her nails while she played.
Bouchard is somewhere between the aforementioned pair. In her early days (junior and 1st year on tour) she was a whirlwind of force. . . . . her unpredictable style, physical presence and fierce go-for-broke style tormented fellow players - other than the super-stars who had little to no problem when Genie chased them down.
After the great year of Genie - she's basically at the same level (or worse) than Kournikova. But she's only 24, and everyone expects her to come out of her moody slump. I don't. She's done!
Unlike the 2 Annas - Bouchard is fluent in at least 2 languages and could easily turn from playing to commentating - in addition to hanging on to her modelling and sponsorship work. Whether she wants to work in front of cameras as commentator vs. competitor who knows. She's certainly one of the worst competitors on the ladies tour right now!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 27 YEARS, COUNTING!

Aerial

Best of luck to this kid in the future, I see his world tennis ranking is now 67th place I think I saw on the news this morning, up from in the 100s.  He's got a bright future in the sport I'm sure.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

TravelPat1

Best of luck to this kid in the future, I see his world tennis ranking is now 67th place I think I saw on the news this morning, up from in the 100s.  He's got a bright future in the sport I'm sure.
I hope you are right Earl. Not just because I like to see all Canadians succeed - but the kid plays an exciting brand of tennis and has a charisma on the court that is infectious and really played well to the home crowd in Montreal. 
Raonic has the amazing cannon of a serve - but the types of matches he gets into just aren't as exciting. Rallies are rarely longer than just a few shots in Raonic's matches with very few long rallies that the crowd can really get into.  
So would love to see the kid keep it up.

Aerial

While I'm not a huge tennis fan, I will say my wealthy first cousin Mike Tevlin, remember the two bite brownie?, website below for some info on him, has given generously to the sport in Canada and has turned me onto the sport I must say.  I need to get out and play a bit more come to think of it.  He's also into baseball quite a bit.

https://www.canadianbaseballnetwork.com/bob-elliott/tevlin-transition-smooth-two-bite-brownie%E2%80%8F

http://www.tenniscanada.ca/tevlin/includes/pdf/Nov18_09_en.pdf

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/cbn-ontario-terriers-bring-youth-baseball-21st-century/

If only I had invested some money with Mike way back when he started.  If only.  Oh well.  That's life as they say.

nguyenMTL

A moot point but Genie BooBoo is more like Anna Kournikova than Anna Ivanovic. The 3 of them represent 3 of the top 5 looking women in tennis history - Ivanovic at just over 6 ft. tall could easily have been a top fashion model - she's simply stunning.
But Ivanovic had nearly a 70% winning percentage in her near 12 year career. Plus a grand slam win plus a couple of final appearances to boot. 15+ million in career earnings - she was no ordinary WTA hobo - didn't meet expectations because she didn't have the wild force of will gals like the Williams sisters, Chris Evert, Martina, etc. possessed. These ladies played as if they were possessed. Serena still does.
Ivanovic never really got over in North America - other than her amazing pictures and fashion shoots. She spoke in a childish pidgeon English which didn't add to her allure.
Kournikova spoke broken English and basically was a fashion model pushed into professional tennis. It didn't suit her as she was unwilling to do the work, basically painting her nails while she played.
Bouchard is somewhere between the aforementioned pair. In her early days (junior and 1st year on tour) she was a whirlwind of force. . . . . her unpredictable style, physical presence and fierce go-for-broke style tormented fellow players - other than the super-stars who had little to no problem when Genie chased them down.
After the great year of Genie - she's basically at the same level (or worse) than Kournikova. But she's only 24, and everyone expects her to come out of her moody slump. I don't. She's done!
Unlike the 2 Annas - Bouchard is fluent in at least 2 languages and could easily turn from playing to commentating - in addition to hanging on to her modelling and sponsorship work. Whether she wants to work in front of cameras as commentator vs. competitor who knows. She's certainly one of the worst competitors on the ladies tour right now!
Having a crush on her, I followed Ana Ivanovic's career since her win in Montreal in 2006. I guess I saw her career post-2008 as a decline because of her inconsistency. Plus I saw a parallel with Genie because they both seem to make coach changes every year.
As for Genie, I fear that her problem is in her head, especially because her coach is the well-respected Thomas Hogstedt. 
However, I gotta disagree with you with the commentating part. Her voice is simply too monotonous to be appealing on television, on par with Marie-Eve Pelletier on the Canadian Open's french broadcaster. 

Lyle B. Style

I don't think Bouchard will opt for broadcasting until her modelling/sponsorship career starts drying up (could be 3 to 5 years).
As for monotone voice - yes, she's a tad unexpressive but she's articulate and the tone of her voice (unlike Ivanovic's childish pidgeon English) is very acceptable to English & French speaking fans of the sport.
I don't think she has to go off the wall in terms of yelling & screaming like some of the perennial female trainees at TSN (Kate Beerness, the chucky-smiling girl is the primary culprit) but more like a couple of the elegant ones including the ex-gold medal winning women's hockey defenseman and the always elegant Natasha Stanewzsiwski, who's now a fixture at TSN. Never liked sing-songie readers like Beerness, Erin Andrews, that rambunctious brunette on Sportsnet, etc.

Aerial

Can't comment on Genie as a commentator because I haven't listened to her much to tell you the truth.

Kate Beerness, she's a cutie, ok, maybe comes across a bit dafty shall we say, but very likeable really.  Hey, it's sports afterall.  

Natasha is all class all the way, spoken, looks you name it!  Wow, oh wow!  If I was young, smart and had money and had some decent looks, I'd be looking her up if she was available, that's for sure.

nguyenMTL

I actually like the female anchors on TSN (Kate Beirness, Natasha Staniszwewski, Laura Diakun, Tessa Bonhomme, Lindsay Hamilton, Jennifer Hedger, Kara Wagland). They are all consummate professionnals imo.

I am however disappointed that TSN doesn't have specific commentators for tennis, as the channel usually uses ESPN's broadcast for tournaments, while RDS on the other hand has Yvon Ponton and Helene Pelletier for years now.

Lyle B. Style

I actually like the female anchors on TSN (Kate Beirness, Natasha Staniszwewski, Laura Diakun, Tessa Bonhomme, Lindsay Hamilton, Jennifer Hedger, Kara Wagland). They are all consummate professionnals imo.

I am however disappointed that TSN doesn't have specific commentators for tennis, as the channel usually uses ESPN's broadcast for tournaments, while RDS on the other hand has Yvon Ponton and Helene Pelletier for years now.
I think they had Carling Bassett for a time - but she either quit or got old. Genie (when she hangs it up) would be a good add for TSN if nothing else for her international presence.
Throwing in a variety of rounders like Rod Black, Sid Sexeiro, or that overweight curling mope from Sportsnet plus the 70+ yr old tennis Canada executives actually subtracts from the broadcast.
Maybe they should just supplement the tennis channel with additional games and let the pros cover the pros?

TravelPat1

The young guns drew a record tennis audience for Sportsnet - which has to thrill the tennis people in Canada and in the ATP!

The Saturday night semi-final between Shapovalov and Sverev drew an average audience of 488,200 on Sportsnet, peaking at 741,600 with a total reach of 1.46 million. And that is not even including the French language numbers which I'm sure were good with the event in Montreal drawing record crowds there.  

Over 216,000 attended the week long event in Montreal. 

http://media.sportsnet.ca/2017/08/rogers-cup-semifinal-between-shapovalov-and-zverev-is-most-watched-tennis-match-ever-on-sportsnet/

TravelPat1

The young guns drew a record tennis audience for Sportsnet - which has to thrill the tennis people in Canada and in the ATP!

The Saturday night semi-final between Shapovalov and Sverev drew an average audience of 488,200 on Sportsnet, peaking at 741,600 with a total reach of 1.46 million. And that is not even including the French language numbers which I'm sure were good with the event in Montreal drawing record crowds there.  

Over 216,000 attended the week long event in Montreal.

http://media.sportsnet.ca/2017/08/rogers-cup-semifinal-between-shapovalov-and-zverev-is-most-watched-tennis-match-ever-on-sportsnet/
I found the TVA Sports numbers for the Shapovalov - Sverev and they were even better than the English language numbers on Sportsnet.  
Their ratings peaked at 777,000 with an average pf 550,000.  
So the combined average ratings (488,000 + 550,000) totalled over a million viewers here. That was the best cable ratings ever for the Rogers Cup in Montreal and best rating in 10 years for the event on French television. 

Good news for tennis that the matchup billed as the #NextGenATP matchup drew such great numbers.  

ActionNews

Rogers Tennis tv ratings was not what you just claimed it to be.

Also. Shapo's rating just took a hit as Nadal just lost again badly. As I said before regarding tennis, nothing to see here.

TravelPat1

Rogers Tennis tv ratings was not what you just claimed it to be.
I didn't claim that - because unlike some here I don't make up ratings and ratings sources. Those numbers as shown in the link provided (something you NEVER provide) were provided by Numeris and reported in press releases by both Sportsnet and TVA. 
Right on the link provided 

Source: Numeris

ActionNews

no it wasn't. Once again they are not providing the accurate #'s. 

Users Online

168 Guests, 13 Users (19 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
rpaege, bohdon, KevinRiley2, Sidney, Chewbaca1973, ExPat, raymarkca, sully, Niagara Als, danoc_86, RichardVeilleux, Google (19)

Most Online Today: 365. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)