sambo42

Watch Trump raise his hand in victory if the Pats win. That should peeve off a few people.   
 I don't believe he will care one way or the other... even his "buddies" Kraft & Brady distanced themselves from him after the S.O.B. comments. If anything he will make more asinine statements to rile up his base... but this time hardly anyone will care.

Hank01

We are living in Football heaven for people when we talk about witnessing history .

Before the last few wins by the Pats I still believed the Great Packer teams of the 60's were the greatest which I missed and can only see on old film .I thought they were the greatest ever and the name of the trophy given out the Lombardi trophy will always bare the name of the greatest in football excellence .

Not even a Pats fan but watching this team reminds of great team dynasty's that we talk about in folklore like the Montreal Canadians , New York Islanders , Edmonton Eskimos , Edmonton Oilers , Boston Celtics , Chicago Bulls and New York Yankees .

Whether they end up winning or not it's another one of those moments of witnessing greatness and consistency of excellence that pokes it head up once in awhile . Years from now they will point their fingers at the Pats and say they were the greatest ever .
MY NEW HERO JORDAN PETERSON FOR PRIME MINISTER

Iconic SR

Watch Trump raise his hand in victory if the Pats win. That should peeve off a few people.  
I don't believe he will care one way or the other... even his "buddies" Kraft & Brady distanced themselves from him after the S.O.B. comments. If anything he will make more asinine statements to rile up his base... but this time hardly anyone will care.
Does anyone know if Trump is attending the SuperBowl in Minneapolis?

TravelPat1

If he is going - hopefully he's learned the words to the anthem which he clearly struggled with at the college championship game.  lol

Even though the game is indoors they've got to be hoping they don't have a repeat of the blizzard weather in Minneapolis that weekend - like they suffered through yesterday with all kinds of road closures and flight cancellations.  I'd be pissed if I paid $4500 for a ticket to the game and then couldn't get there.  

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/01/22/msp-airport-cancellations/

Aerial

Anyone who thinks Kraft and Trump have had a "falling out" are living in lala land.  Just because Kraft says publically he is disppointed with Trump's comments and thinks this means they aren't two peas in a pod buddies, well I'd say time to wake up and smell the roses people.  ;)

Pat, do you think Kraft knows the words to the anthem? I have my doubts. :-*
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

sambo42

My feeling that they should quit playing any national anthem at sporting events... I go to watch a game, not show my patriotism... if they want to play it at international events after a team wins, no problem with that...especially when the pomp & circumstance is paid to leagues...

FootbalYouBet

My feeling that they should quit playing any national anthem at sporting events... I go to watch a game, not show my patriotism... if they want to play it at international events after a team wins, no problem with that...especially when the pomp & circumstance is paid to leagues...
spoken like a true Canadian ehh :)
The worst thing about being on the west coast is that when I want to post at night, everyone else is asleep or passed out

sambo42

It just my opinion... feel free to refute it, but seriously... if you want to show your patriotism, go help out a veteran, or join your local Legion or ANAVETS... wear a poppy(at ANY time of the year)... I will respect the flag and anthem, but this controversy has gone far enough, again its greed fueling the patriotism, even though this link is from 2015, it shows what I am referring to...

https://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/4/9670302/nfl-paid-patriotism-troops-mcain-flake-report-million

FootbalYouBet

It just my opinion... feel free to refute it, but seriously... if you want to show your patriotism, go help out a veteran, or join your local Legion or ANAVETS... wear a poppy(at ANY time of the year)... I will respect the flag and anthem, but this controversy has gone far enough, again its greed fueling the patriotism, even though this link is from 2015, it shows what I am referring to...

https://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/4/9670302/nfl-paid-patriotism-troops-mcain-flake-report-million
I am undecided.  I wish Canadians in general were as Patriotic as they are in general in USA.  However, I don't think it has to include anthem singing at an average sports event.   Superbowl and Grey Cup and Olympics and such make sense to me.

Aerial

Yeah, national anthems at sporting events, pro ones at least, I don't care about if the leagues end up dropping it.  Don't think this will happen though, it's important both in the US and Canada for pro sports marketing to use the anthem as a marketing tool for patriotism and that. Along with the the flag.  I think it helps sell and creates some sort of excitement that gets people's nationalistic blood flowing.  

TravelPat1

I don't mind the anthems - just as long as they are sung at a decent speed - to the tune of the anthem and not some gerrymandered butchering of the tune that drags the anthem out to twice its normal length as some celebrities tend to do. 

And when an anthem is done right - at big games - something like this - no doubt it 'gets the blood flowing' (Well it got mine flowing and gave me goose bumps too.)

And note - just 82 seconds long. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ4OCWksWPA

Hank01

Agree what they are allowed to do for the Grey Cup just drives me nuts . 

The MLS Cup singer was spot on . The singing of our anthem by spectators is always better if it's done from the heart and not  organized like a sing song at nursery school .

Iconic SR

I think the anthem means an awful lot to those who serve in our military to risk their lives while protecting us and what we so readily take for granted: Freedom.

As such, hearing people treat the anthem at large sporting gatherings like it's a question of 'would you like fries with that?' - makes me realize we truly don't give a **** about anything except ourselves at that very moment. There seemingly is no 'big picture' in the minds and hearts of many. Sad, but true. On a personal level - Canadian soldiers liberated my parents and their families in Europe when they were overrun by the Nazis and ruthlessly occupied for 4yrs in WW2. So yeah, I guess you could say I kinda dig the anthem being sung today, because I don’t ever want to forget what our soldiers do when they’re not safe at home. Like we are. When we are enjoying the freedom of watching a live sporting event.

I say keep the anthem - and make it loud. Really loud.

sambo42

I think the anthem means an awful lot to those who serve in our military to risk their lives while protecting us and what we so readily take for granted: Freedom.

As such, hearing people treat the anthem at large sporting gatherings like it's a question of 'would you like fries with that?' - makes me realize we truly don't give a **** about anything except ourselves at that very moment. There seemingly is no 'big picture' in the minds and hearts of many. Sad, but true. On a personal level - Canadian soldiers liberated my parents and their families in Europe when they were overrun by the Nazis and ruthlessly occupied for 4yrs in WW2. So yeah, I guess you could say I kinda dig the anthem being sung today, because I don’t ever want to forget what our soldiers do when they’re not safe at home. Like we are. When we are enjoying the freedom of watching a live sporting event.

Again... you can show your appreciation for those who serve in other ways. How many veterans are homeless?(In Canada & the US). It seems many have forgotten them, and that is the real travesty. If you a really that patriotic, then go help someone who has served, and down on their luck... their military and government of each country seem to be indifferent on helping those people. Playing the national anthem at a sporting event doesn't help them one iota. 

Iconic SR

Again... you can show your appreciation for those who serve in other ways. How many veterans are homeless?(In Canada & the US). It seems many have forgotten them, and that is the real travesty. If you a really that patriotic, then go help someone who has served, and down on their luck... their military and government of each country seem to be indifferent on helping those people. Playing the national anthem at a sporting event doesn't help them one iota.
If you are comfortable standing up and saying that in a room full of veterans or at any Remembrance Day event - I could THEN and only then respect your stance. We all know you would never have the courage to tell any of our military or our veterans  that playing the national anthem at Rider games sucks for you, so your logic and position is weak, unrealistic, and not supported by your actions. In other words, it’s an opinion of which you will do nothing about - except complain on the internet. Anonymously.

I would encourage you to write a letter, go to the media, approach the team etc - if you really believe in this and want things to change. That effort - would gain you respect.

In regards to standing, singing along or wearing or not wearing a cap for an anthem etc - it doesn’t bother me if fans participate or not. They could sit for all I care. No one should be forced to stand or sing or whatever. What I believe is very important tho - is that the organizers of these large public gatherings are modelling the respect and recognition for our country that our flag, our military, our veterans and all us citizens reside under. All by playing the anthem. It is a reminder of what unites us. Our freedoms that we enjoy today didn’t just fall out of the freedom tree. Blood was shed to have these freedoms and to protect what we have ongoing.

Users Online

63 Guests, 3 Users (5 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Sidney, Google (4), Baidu

Most Online Today: 104. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)