KevinRiley2

The only emoji needed... ::)

Guess if we cut down Fake news...err i mean action news posts Kevin will come running
Come on.  He's not a bad guy.  He also provides a lot of insight.  Go easy on him.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

ActionNews

Great insight on the matter on TSN radio today. Most believe this a is a move that has nothing to do with naming rights but other objectives from the Bank of Nova Scotia, which I agree.

oo DAWG oo

Guess if we cut down Fake news...err i mean action news posts Kevin will come running
Come on.  He's not a bad guy.  He also provides a lot of insight.  Go easy on him.
Did you just confirm my post?
???

KevinRiley2

Come on.  He's not a bad guy.  He also provides a lot of insight.  Go easy on him.
Did you just confirm my post?
???
LOL.  Yes.  Yes I did.  :)

KevinRiley2

I don't have access to the article but, at the Globe and Mail, ...

The inside story of Scotiabank's $800-million deal to buy the naming rights to the ACC  

Argofan_1000

The inside story of Scotiabank's $800-million deal to buy the naming rights to the ACC

Scotiabank has that kind of money to throw at this? Know one sees an $800M benefit to anyone except MLSE. They needed to vote on this with the shareholders!

A company that spreads over the entire country and they didn't think it will fracture support for this company?

If they want to see how fractured it can become just look at the sports seen in Toronto. Fans hating each other in the same city. Started with Rogers. Smart people wanted this from the Rogers brass and they got it.

I have to ask why Scotiabank thinks this will be supported in the other parts of the country. It won't even be supported in Toronto.

Scotiabank couldn't of did charity work that would of benifited the entire country instead of giving it to MLSE! 

KevinRiley2

Scotiabank has that kind of money to throw at this? Know one sees an $800M benefit to anyone except MLSE. They needed to vote on this with the shareholders!

A company that spreads over the entire country and they didn't think it will fracture support for this company?

If they want to see how fractured it can become just look at the sports seen in Toronto. Fans hating each other in the same city. Started with Rogers. Smart people wanted this from the Rogers brass and they got it.

I have to ask why Scotiabank thinks this will be supported in the other parts of the country. It won't even be supported in Toronto.

Scotiabank couldn't of did charity work that would of benifited the entire country instead of giving it to MLSE!
I own BNS stock and no one asked me.

c-way-dude

If they want to see how fractured it can become just look at the sports seen in Toronto. Fans hating each other in the same city. Started with Rogers. Smart people wanted this from the Rogers brass and they got it.

I have to ask why Scotiabank thinks this will be supported in the other parts of the country. It won't even be supported in Toronto.

Scotiabank couldn't of did charity work that would of benifited the entire country instead of giving it to MLSE!

It's too bad they didn't offer to donate a small percentage of the $800 million for a stadium in the city where they began.

Aerial

It is what it is though, BNS just trying to show to the young people they have money and that impresses a lot of young people, they want their business and let's face it, this is getting a fair bit of news headlines.   Most people don't care they are just making MLSE that much richer.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

TravelPat1

It is too bad that Globe and Mail story is a subscriber only article as it more or less laid out the sound business reasons for this.  (I read it in a hard copy of the player last week at a friend's place).  

I've been trying to find an online article not protected as subscribers only and not fining one with as much detail. 

This Global TV article touches on it a bit. 

http://globalnews.ca/news/3708528/scotiabank-air-canada-centre-naming-rights/

While a whopping sum – 10 times as much as Air Canada is reportedly paying annually – experts say the investment will pay back in dividends through goodwill and increased revenue 

But Scotiabank believes the investment is worth the price tag for a deal that was called “record setting” by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment.
That’s because Scotia considers hockey “core to our strategy,” said Jacquie Ryan, the bank’s vice-president of sponsorship and philanthropy.
It supports more than 8,000 community teams and already has its name plastered on another NHL team’s arena, the Scotiabank Saddledome, where the Calgary Flames play.
“Hockey is a key driver of our brand health,” she said, adding “the reach of a hockey sponsorship portfolio in Canada is significant.”
External consumer research done for the bank shows people who are aware of its financial support for hockey are three-and-a-half times more likely to consider using its services, Ryan said, a potential boon for a bank in a nation where it’s difficult to entice consumers to switch institutions.
“It’s quite possible that number could go up,” she added, thanks to increased visibility when the Scotiabank name appears on the Toronto Maple Leafs’ arena.
The bank is looking to increase that positive sentiment by associating itself with the sport Canadians are so passionate about, said Vijay Setlur, a marketing instructor at York University’s Schulich School of Business in Toronto.
Since banks are in an industry where they all provide similar products, Setlur said it is crucial for them to differentiate from their competition through things like sports sponsorship.

KevinRiley2

It is too bad that Globe and Mail story is a subscriber only article as it more or less laid out the sound business reasons for this.  (I read it in a hard copy of the player last week at a friend's place).  

I've been trying to find an online article not protected as subscribers only and not fining one with as much detail.

This Global TV article touches on it a bit.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3708528/scotiabank-air-canada-centre-naming-rights/

While a whopping sum – 10 times as much as Air Canada is reportedly paying annually – experts say the investment will pay back in dividends through goodwill and increased revenue

But Scotiabank believes the investment is worth the price tag for a deal that was called “record setting” by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment.
That’s because Scotia considers hockey “core to our strategy,” said Jacquie Ryan, the bank’s vice-president of sponsorship and philanthropy.
It supports more than 8,000 community teams and already has its name plastered on another NHL team’s arena, the Scotiabank Saddledome, where the Calgary Flames play.
“Hockey is a key driver of our brand health,” she said, adding “the reach of a hockey sponsorship portfolio in Canada is significant.”
External consumer research done for the bank shows people who are aware of its financial support for hockey are three-and-a-half times more likely to consider using its services, Ryan said, a potential boon for a bank in a nation where it’s difficult to entice consumers to switch institutions.
“It’s quite possible that number could go up,” she added, thanks to increased visibility when the Scotiabank name appears on the Toronto Maple Leafs’ arena.
The bank is looking to increase that positive sentiment by associating itself with the sport Canadians are so passionate about, said Vijay Setlur, a marketing instructor at York University’s Schulich School of Business in Toronto.
Since banks are in an industry where they all provide similar products, Setlur said it is crucial for them to differentiate from their competition through things like sports sponsorship.
Scotia is the most global of the Canadian banks...

TD, BMO, NA and Royal have a strong U.S. presence but it tends to stop there.
CIBC is a mostly domestic banks - thus the low p/e ratio compared to its peers.

Perhaps, with the globalization of sports and more and more people hearing the name of the Arena, they felt it was worth it.  Still, I think they overpaid... big time!  
I just wish they had spent more of that money with the CFL.

Anyway, let's hope it raises all boats - including the cost of naming CFL stadiums.

Users Online

68 Guests, 3 Users (11 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Sidney, KevinRiley2, GOTC1, Google (9), Baidu (2)

Most Online Today: 113. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)