letsgoticats

Ronda Rousey was a 4yr marketing exercise that worked.

She got rich, UFC got rich, a new category of women who roared was created, and the fans got fleeced, because Rousey was not at all indicative of the best. You were only told to THINK this. And you did. She was manufactured to appear to be the best. Once the category began to outgrow her, she then had to fight real fighters and we all know how that turned out, lol.
During her unbeaten run, no one was better than her.  No one beat her, or came close to her.  Holly Holm was just entering the world of MMA.  Nunes hadn't figured it out yet, and lost to Cat Zingano (who Rousey then beat in 14 seconds).  

Marketing didn't win those fights, and she could only beat the people in front of her.  As the sport evolved, with women like Holly Holm and Nunes improving, it passed her by.  
Rousey succeeded at what she does best: Become a great actress, play the script and take your money as fans dreamily think she's so awesome, because they're told to believe this. Justin Bieber does the same thing with teenage girls. Except that Bieber is actually quite talented.
She succeeded at beating everyone in her weight class for several years.  She's a pretty terrible actress.  

PTBO Dave

She got rich, UFC got rich, a new category of women who roared was created, and the fans got fleeced, because Rousey was not at all indicative of the best. You were only told to THINK this. And you did. She was manufactured to appear to be the best. Once the category began to outgrow her, she then had to fight real fighters and we all know how that turned out, lol.
During her unbeaten run, no one was better than her.  No one beat her, or came close to her.  Holly Holm was just entering the world of MMA.  Nunes hadn't figured it out yet, and lost to Cat Zingano (who Rousey then beat in 14 seconds).  

Marketing didn't win those fights, and she could only beat the people in front of her.  As the sport evolved, with women like Holly Holm and Nunes improving, it passed her by.  
Rousey succeeded at what she does best: Become a great actress, play the script and take your money as fans dreamily think she's so awesome, because they're told to believe this. Justin Bieber does the same thing with teenage girls. Except that Bieber is actually quite talented.
She succeeded at beating everyone in her weight class for several years.  She's a pretty terrible actress.  
Yes, she also won a bronze medal in judo at the Olympics. She has talent, but maybe not the mental makeup to overcome athletic difficulties.

She's defeated women who have defeated the women whom she lost to, so some talent is clearly there. I suspect part of her drop off might be due to changes in the rules for weight-cutting, like no IVs. She used to have a large size and strength advantage over opponents.

OskeeweeneeVI

I find it interesting that some people on this thread comment that wrestling is fake (of course it is) but think Rousey would get her butt kicked because of her real-life fighting skills.  If she's popular enough, then the other WWE talent would put her over.  It's the way the business has always worked.

The Rock was mediocre as an actual wrestler but looked good and was maybe the best ever at working the mic.  The two worst wrestlers that I've ever seen were Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior but their gimmicks sold tickets so the belts went on them.

FootbalYouBet

I find it funny when ever people has complained that wrestling is fake.  All the fight scenes in movies and tv shows is fake, yet we enjoy watching just the same.
The worst thing about being on the west coast is that when I want to post at night, everyone else is asleep or passed out

letsgoticats

I find it funny that some people are so quick to discredit legitimate accomplishments.  

letsgoticats

I find it funny that some people are so quick to discredit legitimate accomplishments.  
No discredit. Ronda legally fleeced millions of their hard earned dollars. It was a very legitimate and well crafted plan. And she succeeded.
How did she fleece anyone?  She beat the top fighters in her weight class at the time.  She didn't duck any big fights, Holm and Nunes just weren't ready until ~2015.

Iconic SR

No discredit. Ronda legally fleeced millions of their hard earned dollars. It was a very legitimate and well crafted plan. And she succeeded.
How did she fleece anyone?  She beat the top fighters in her weight class at the time.  She didn't duck any big fights, Holm and Nunes just weren't ready until ~2015.
Over 90% of her victories came from an armbar submission, which any trained gorilla could do. She didn't exhibit any genuine MMA talent that requires consistently taking it to the opponent enough to earn a TKO or KO. Hyperextending someone else's arm to the point of dislocation isn't fighting.

letsgoticats

How did she fleece anyone?  She beat the top fighters in her weight class at the time.  She didn't duck any big fights, Holm and Nunes just weren't ready until ~2015.
Over 90% of her victories came from an armbar submission, which any trained gorilla could do. She didn't exhibit any genuine MMA talent that requires consistently taking it to the opponent enough to earn a TKO or KO. Hyperextending someone else's arm to the point of dislocation isn't fighting.
This is just dumb now.  Jiu-jitsu is a significant part of MMA.  If it was so easy, why didn't anyone stop her?

oo DAWG oo

I bet she'd kick your ass

KevinRiley2

Other than movie reviewing, I have never been the best at anything...

She was.  How many of us can say that?  I'm guessing none, so...  Good for her!
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

oo DAWG oo

Other than movie reviewing, I have never been the best at anything in this world...

I don't know Kevin...i think this guy has you beat for movie critic

KevinRiley2

I don't know Kevin...i think this guy has you beat for movie critic

He WAS the best until he died of a drug overdose outside the Viper Room in 2017.

Now, I'm # 1!

tony

And got paid and getting paid nicely too.  ;)

PTBO Dave

And got paid and getting paid nicely too.  ;)
Who got/is getting paid nicely . . . Kevin? Ronda? Both?   :D

Lyle B. Style

Agreed. Bieber is super-talented. Also super-annoying. Plump Ronda is not that talented - a good judoka who won an Olympic medal. The key word in all this hocus-pocus is "protected" and WWE will go the distance in protecting their new asset - until she fails to earn protection - then all bets are off!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

Users Online

65 Guests, 2 Users (6 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Sidney, Google (5), Baidu

Most Online Today: 104. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)