Aerial

You have to wonder who buys these nothing games for the Jays in Montreal for an exhibition game.  My thinking is not too many people from Montreal but more from the English crowd from Ottawa and English Montreal folk,  and Cornwall area and some from the GTA looking for some excuse to make a mini vac to visit Montreal.

Tampa has to make a decision soon but the Montreal situation, who is the "well heeled" ownership group apparently in the mix?  Don't know.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

TravelPat1

Some interesting stuff at this website.  

http://www.montrealbaseballproject.com/en/

And it is apparent the Expos/new baseball stadium issue will be a political football in the upcomining municipal elections in Montreal.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-baseball-stadium-public-funds-1.4309296

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/next-municipal-election-will-be-referendum-on-baseball-plante-pledges

The headline on that second article.

Next municipal election will be referendum on baseball, Plante pledges
'We're not going to use Montrealers' money without consulting them,' she said. Coderre countered: 'We'll take our time, and do things correctly'

Aerial

Wow, lack of transparency with a proposed stadium for baseball in Montreal.  Who would have guessed.  :)

Aerial

Got a kick out of reading this on Field of Schemes about a new Rays stadium:

Somebody asked Tim Leiweke what he thinks of building a new stadium for the Tampa Bay Rays for some reason, and given that he’s a guy that is in the business of building new stadiums, it’s unsurprising that he thinks it’s a great idea. Though I am somewhat surprised that he employed the phrase “Every snowbird in Canada will want to watch the Toronto Blue Jays when they come and play,” given that having to depend on fans of road teams to fill the seats is already kind of a problem.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com
8)

Argofan_1000

Somebody asked Tim Leiweke what he thinks of building a new stadium for the Tampa Bay Rays for some reason, and given that he’s a guy that is in the business of building new stadiums, it’s unsurprising that he thinks it’s a great idea. Though I am somewhat surprised that he employed the phrase “Every snowbird in Canada will want to watch the Toronto Blue Jays when they come and play,” given that having to depend on fans of road teams to fill the seats is already kind of a problem.

8)
who ever buys or moves a team to Montreal better be ready to loose a lot of money forever. Much more then the Jays.
Rogers does it because of a side benefit to Sportsnet. There are no such companies in Montreal I can think of.

Mightygoose

8)
who ever buys or moves a team to Montreal better be ready to loose a lot of money forever. Much more then the Jays.
Rogers does it because of a side benefit to Sportsnet. There are no such companies in Montreal I can think of.
Bell comes to mind. Adds 162 games of content on TSN.

Aerial

But Bell already airs many MLB games without all the headaches of actually owning a team and having to market it like Rogers Sportsnet has to do with the Jays.

Hey, I'd say Bell would just be smart to provide naming rights for the new baseball stadium in Montreal and get all the games they want to air without, as I say, the headaches of actually having to own the team which IMHO will be a disaster in Montreal in the long run for any owner other than an owner that is fine losing loads of money.

Enough money for naming rights for the stadium will garner Bell all the games it desires for airing.  No need to own the team at all IMHO.

I'd love to ask the folks at Rogers if they'd really want to own the Blue Jays rather than just do what I say above with Bell and a future potential MLB team in Montreal.

Mightygoose

Bell would more likely be a minority owner of the team. Mitch Garber and Stephen Bronsman would be a big money people behind the team. Maybe the Molson family with a small share but not sure of that.

Bell would then pay closer to market rate for the broadcast rights depends on how the country is divied up. They'll rake in allot more advertising dollars airing the local team than the scraps they show right now as Rogers carries most of the games here anyways. MLB would love to have both of the big 2 media firms in their camp.

With how revenue sharing works today including what MLB's digital rights are worth, they'll be more than viable. The Rays and A's of the world make money...no worries in Montreal today.

Aerial

Bell, scraps with MLB now?  Don't think so, I rarely watch the Blue Jays on Sportsnet as I find it refreshing to watch non Blue Jays games on TSN and I bet TSN doesn't pay a lot for airing the games it does.  Something about watching Blue Jays especially their home games on Sportsnet that gives me the Drew Willys.   8)

Fact is IMHO, Bell has shown it doesn't need Blue Jays games to show it does the biz with MLB.  Others might deny this but that's the way I see it.

I don't think Bell even needs to be a minority owner to get all the future Montreal "Expos" or whatever they will be called that they will need.  Simply stadium rights IMHO.  But sure, they could do a CFL Argos thingy and be a minority owner if need be.  Fair enough.  My guess, they will not do this unless they absolutely have to, for whatever reason.

At any rate, Bell doesn't need Blue Jays games now, stating the obvious of course.  Sportsnet and Blue Jays is getting very stale IMHO.  Just all the games on Sportsnet, wow, one team.  At least with the CFL on TSN there is variety of teams aired.

TravelPat1

But Earl - the non-Jays games TSN shows draw 1/10 or less the ratings of the Jays games on Sportsnet. If Bell had the Expos - those ratings would rise a ton on TSN and would likely give RDS boffo ratings in Quebec. 

Aerial

I understand non Blue Jays games don't get nearly the audience of BJ games (I doubt Bell has to pay a lot though for a game between two middle of the road market teams)  but couldn't Bell still have a deal with airing most of the new Expos games with just doing naming rights of the stadium plus maybe some other major sponsorship?  And share games with CBC or Global or whomever as well, maybe have a deal to mix up the Jays and Expos among the various networks?   :-\

Mightygoose

Very true, Bell doesn't have to have an ownership stake in the team and just invest on the media front.

I think MLB would prefer that as would rather not have corporate ownership if they can avoid it. Granted Bell's stake in the team would be small IMO.

Aerial

Agree no question that corporate ownership of a team takes a bit of shine off of a team as sort of a, how do you say, more friendly human feel to a pro sports team.  It's nice when you see the owner and their family perhaps on TV when they win a championship as opposed to some mega corporate conglomerate like Rogers or Bell or a brewery etc.  A personal touch is a personal family name that owns a team.  Fits better.

Hey, good on Rogers to buy the Blue Jays when they did, I didn't see any Canadian single owner coming out of the woodworks that really liked baseball (Ted wasn't a sports fan as we know so without the public business aspect of Rogers, he wouldn't have bought the team as a real love for sure)  so without Rogers the Blue Jays might be in the US now like the Expos.

Good read here:

Blue Jays ownership should understand their baseball team is more than just a business

http://vancouversun.com/sports/blue-jays-ownership-should-understand-their-baseball-team-is-more-than-just-a-business

Users Online

83 Guests, 3 Users (12 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
PTBO Dave, stevehvh, PatLynch, Google (12)

Most Online Today: 140. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)