DAN38

The only negative and shameful thing is her behaviour.

All she had to do was take the medal and then do whatever she wants with it. She didn't have to sulk and pout in front of the world.
   None of the other Canadian women did what she did !
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

RedandWhite

..I dunno FYB, she is there as a representative of Canada, that's not the type of behaviour I'd expect from a fellow canuck...at the very least she needs to honour the Olympic creed she agreed to when she accepted a role on this team...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

FootbalYouBet

..I dunno FYB, she is there as a representative of Canada, that's not the type of behaviour I'd expect from a fellow canuck
what so bad about taking off the medal.  she was extremely emotional and it was an emotional reaction.  Guess what, she is human.  
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

it is not how much you love but how well you love

why be part of the solution when you can be part of the problem

RedandWhite

...taking off the medal is disrespectful to the Olympic creed and the athlete's oath she swore to uphold...that's what is wrong...

...that's not being mean or derogatory to her, which I agree shouldn't happen either...you can be negative about the act, not the person...I don't know her from Eve, I'm sure she's a great person who got caught up in the emotions, but that doesn't excuse the resulting behavior, my two cents...

Abendschan

Don't judge Laroque until you have been in her shoes. All these negative comments about her and others at the Olympics are shameful
Excellent statement FYB, negative hogwash about any athlete is pretty lame/vague. The high expectations and rivalry bitterness of defeat - (huge emotional feelings big time). Nobody is better than anybody else.

beaglehound

The Americans deserved to win.
...that's the way it goes...can't expect to win them all...
I don't know if the end result was because of nerves, poor coaching, bad decisions or a combination of all of the above.  I hear what Dan is saying and I understand his disappointment but didn't Canada beat the U.S. 2-1 in the preliminary round of these same Olympics?  Wasn't it the same coach?

I agree, the Canadian girls coughed up the puck many times but so did the U.S.  I also agree that the U.S. were able to bring the puck out of their own end far more efficiently than Canada.

I think the U.S. team wore down Canada and there was no more gas left in the tank.

I understand where Dan is coming from with the strategy ideas but did Canada have enough in the tank to properly execute?  It didn't look like it to me.    When you're exhausted you start getting careless.  You start taking risks that you might not otherwise take.

I've seen a few of the womens' games in the past and I found those games sharper when it came to passing and faster when played.  At times the puck was more like a pin ball than a hockey puck in the final.  

I would not say that the U.S. 'deserved' the win.  I would say they earned it.

My one major disappointment was to see a shoot-out decide the outcome.  I liked Sambo's analogy about the FG kicking contest to determine a Grey Cup victor.  That would be absurd.   I hope they eventually get rid of the shoot-out format and adopt the the last team standing format where you play and play and play until someone scores.  Digging deep down and playing on fumes, if necessary, is what it is all about in my opinion.   While the shoot-out gets results I think it puts far too much pressure on the goal tenders.  

I must admit though, there were some cool looking goals scored in the shoot-out and overall both teams have some very skillful players.  

I am not nearly as disappointed in losing as I am in the way we lost, then to have a crybaby take off the medal and pout means we need an overhaul like Lyle said.
    Tired is no excuse. The Amers skated just as hard , if not harder. How come they got to our net on a consistent basis ?..We were poorly coached. Plain and simple. The fact we earlier beat the Amers means absolutely nothing now.

Have you played a lot of hockey Beagle ? Giving the puck away all the time is not what you want to do. I was taught early by someone who played for Canada in the Olympics and International scene. He told me " If you have the puck, keep it. If they have the puck, get it. "

'Dump and chase' is the perfect method to get inside the opponents end WHEN YOU ARE TIRED. It also works to beat the trap. The Amers used it perfectly and when they didn't, they still skated in with impunity.

I've been watching the women play for a long time now. One of my second cousins was even on the team years ago.

By earning the win, the Amers deserved the win. CONGRATS  U.S.A.
i'm not disagreeing with you Dan and I wasn't "excusing" the Canadian performance by suggesting fatigue was a factor.  I said I believe the U.S. wore the Canadian team down.  I'm not disagreeing that coaching may have contributed to the loss but I don't agree that you can just dismiss the Canadian win over the U.S. in the preliminary round as meaningless.  The same coach coached the Canadian team that beat the U.S. a couple of weeks ago.  The coach was obviously doing something right in that game to beat the U.S.

Since you are of the opinion the loss was because of lousy coaching does that mean that had Canada won the gold that the team would have won despite lousy coaching?  What other teams did Canada have to beat to make it this far?  I'm sure it wasn't a cake walk.

"When you have the puck keep the puck."  How does that figure into the equation, " Dump the puck in and then go after it?

I guess I don't want to be coming down as hard on the coach's abilities because I wasn't on the bench.  I wasn't there to hear what she was telling her players.  And besides I'm not here to defend Team Canada's coach.  

The way I saw the game, the U.S. dominated for most of the game but  Canada was a mere 7 minutes away from winning gold.  That tells me they were in the game right until the shot in the shoot-out.  I think that bodes well for the coach. 

DAN38

The fact she refused to wear the medal in spite of being told to by officials and her team mates and then the fans, shows bad form. She still refused off the ice to an IIHF official and then later conceded she would wear it.
  I'll be watching to see if she is ever on the team again.

I'll say one thing; We are a less respected country today because her actions reflect on all of us.

KevinRiley2

don't judge Laroque until you have been in her shoes.  All these negative comments about her and others at the Olympics are shameful
There is a LOT of venom between the U.S. and Canadian women's hockey team. That made it doubly bad. That kind of catty behaviour, on BOTH sides, is enough to set the women's movement back 100 years.

As for the loss...

Canada could/should have lost 4 years ago and we got lucky - the empty net shot hit the post.  It was time for the U.S. to get a victory.

Happy for the Silver.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

beaglehound

The Americans were all over Canada in the overtime. That game would have ended a lot earlier had it not been for the usual heroics of goaltender Szabados.
Canada could not get the puck out of their own end in overtime. Time and time again the US players were blowing right by the Canadian defense. The Canadians were out of gas. It was literally watching women against girls out there in overtime. This doesn't even cover the horrendous string of never ending turnovers in the Canadian zone.  

Full marks to the American team. They deserved to win.
I agree with you EastVanmark.  The U.S. team earned top spot on the podium this time around.  Maybe time around it will be different? 

DAN38

The Americans deserved to win.
...that's the way it goes...can't expect to win them all...
I don't know if the end result was because of nerves, poor coaching, bad decisions or a combination of all of the above.  I hear what Dan is saying and I understand his disappointment but didn't Canada beat the U.S. 2-1 in the preliminary round of these same Olympics?  Wasn't it the same coach?

I agree, the Canadian girls coughed up the puck many times but so did the U.S.  I also agree that the U.S. were able to bring the puck out of their own end far more efficiently than Canada.

I think the U.S. team wore down Canada and there was no more gas left in the tank.

I understand where Dan is coming from with the strategy ideas but did Canada have enough in the tank to properly execute?  It didn't look like it to me.    When you're exhausted you start getting careless.  You start taking risks that you might not otherwise take.

I've seen a few of the womens' games in the past and I found those games sharper when it came to passing and faster when played.  At times the puck was more like a pin ball than a hockey puck in the final.  

I would not say that the U.S. 'deserved' the win.  I would say they earned it.

My one major disappointment was to see a shoot-out decide the outcome.  I liked Sambo's analogy about the FG kicking contest to determine a Grey Cup victor.  That would be absurd.   I hope they eventually get rid of the shoot-out format and adopt the the last team standing format where you play and play and play until someone scores.  Digging deep down and playing on fumes, if necessary, is what it is all about in my opinion.   While the shoot-out gets results I think it puts far too much pressure on the goal tenders.  

I must admit though, there were some cool looking goals scored in the shoot-out and overall both teams have some very skillful players.  

I am not nearly as disappointed in losing as I am in the way we lost, then to have a crybaby take off the medal and pout means we need an overhaul like Lyle said.
    Tired is no excuse. The Amers skated just as hard , if not harder. How come they got to our net on a consistent basis ?..We were poorly coached. Plain and simple. The fact we earlier beat the Amers means absolutely nothing now.

Have you played a lot of hockey Beagle ? Giving the puck away all the time is not what you want to do. I was taught early by someone who played for Canada in the Olympics and International scene. He told me " If you have the puck, keep it. If they have the puck, get it. "

'Dump and chase' is the perfect method to get inside the opponents end WHEN YOU ARE TIRED. It also works to beat the trap. The Amers used it perfectly and when they didn't, they still skated in with impunity.

I've been watching the women play for a long time now. One of my second cousins was even on the team years ago.

By earning the win, the Amers deserved the win. CONGRATS  U.S.A.
i'm not disagreeing with you Dan and I wasn't "excusing" the Canadian performance by suggesting fatigue was a factor.  I said I believe the U.S. wore the Canadian team down.  I'm not disagreeing that coaching may have contributed to the loss but I don't agree that you can just dismiss the Canadian win over the U.S. in the preliminary round as meaningless.  The same coach coached the Canadian team that beat the U.S. a couple of weeks ago.  The coach was obviously doing something right in that game to beat the U.S.

Since you are of the opinion the loss was because of lousy coaching does that mean that had Canada won the gold that the team would have won despite lousy coaching?  What other teams did Canada have to beat to make it this far?  I'm sure it wasn't a cake walk.

"When you have the puck keep the puck."  How does that figure into the equation, " Dump the puck in and then go after it?

I guess I don't want to be coming down as hard on the coach's abilities because I wasn't on the bench.  I wasn't there to hear what she was telling her players.  And besides I'm not here to defend Team Canada's coach.  

The way I saw the game, the U.S. dominated for most of the game but  Canada was a mere 7 minutes away from winning gold.  That tells me they were in the game right until the shot in the shoot-out.  I think that bodes well for the coach.
   Would you agree that a good team improves every game on it's way to a championship ? I think you would. Canada fell apart when the Amers had learned from their loss. Our coach couldn't or wouldn't adjust. I'm a Bomber fan so I can easily recognize this trait...I think our women won against the Amers earlier in spite of the coach's inability.
   Line changes are a killer. Wrong times either too early or too late can and do affect a game's result. Too many can have the same affect. Every single time our team avoided another onslaught and got to centre, they dumped it in and made a line change. Sometimes they sent one in after the dump, sometimes none. Never did they send in three player to control the puck in the Amer zone while two players came out. When you dump the puck you have to chase and control it to make the play successful. This may mean a player or two playing an extra shift. It happens all the time. A lot of times it results in a goal. Good coaches figure this and use it regularly. Our coach never did the dump and chase. The Amers skated out of their end free while we waited for them. This happened time and time again. This loss is on the coach. She didn't adjust.
Our goalie is the only reason it was close.

sambo42

I agree with Dan, Larocque should not have taken the medal off her neck until she left the ice. I predicted that the junior kid set the precedent, and sure enough it happened again... but at least she didn't throw it into the stands. I like the fact she played hard, but show some sportsmanship. She is an adult, and you should face the possibility that you might not get the results you want... that is life, deal with it. Cry all you like, but at least show respect for the game and your teammates. If I was part of Hockey Canada she would not be invited back. 

FootbalYouBet

as for crying, I have seen football players shed tears after losing the SB and even the GC.

you would think the American media would roast Laroque, but not this one

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/international/ct-spt-olympics-jocelyne-larocque-silver-medal-canada-20180222-story.html

FootbalYouBet

she stayed on the ice and shooked the winners hands, that is sportsmanship.

she didn't want to wear what was to her a symbol of losing.  that has nothing to do with sportsmanship
that is just emotion.

if they would wait a day before giving out the medals, then it would be a different scenario.

sambo42

as for crying, I have seen football players shed tears after losing the SB and even the GC.

you would think the American media would roast Laroque, but not this one

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/international/ct-spt-olympics-jocelyne-larocque-silver-medal-canada-20180222-story.html
Its a respect for the game that all athletes should show... yes, I feel bad for her, but there are were other teams, the Swedes, Finns, OAR, Korea who would have gladly switched places with Canada. Even though the format for how games are decided is BS, you have to play by the rules. You could say a bad line change cost Canada a gold medal, and that is very poor coaching, if you need to have a woman be the coach, why not a former player? I'm sure they could have done a better job, even if you have some male assistants for defence and special teams.

sambo42

she stayed on the ice and shooked the winners hands, that is sportsmanship.

she didn't want to wear what was to her a symbol of losing.  that has nothing to do with sportsmanship
that is just emotion.

if they would wait a day before giving out the medals, then it would be a different scenario.
No, she was warned to keep her medal on by management... but still took it off... sorry, no sympathy here.

www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/rules-trump-emotion-as-canadian-womens-hockey-player-ordered-to-wear-silver-medal/article38062105/

Users Online

68 Guests, 6 Users (17 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
TeddyFay, Slomojo2005, Rick16, Google (AdSense) (5), Google (12)

Most Online Today: 125. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)