Palmer

Unfortunately without Russian athletes at the Olympics many will say athletes didn't really earn their medals because a very top Olympic sporting nation wasn't present.  Many will say the Olympics are tainted or diminished if the Russians aren't competing.  The the IOC "brain trusts" know this only too well and so does Russia of course.  Russia has power, a lot of power with the Olympics.
But, as Iconic points out, Russian athletes were at the Olympics, supposedly just the "clean" ones, of whom two in fact were caught doping, one in curling of all things.  Mixed doubles curling!  C'mon, if you're going to cheat in mixed doubles curling, what sport are you NOT prepared to cheat at?

In my mind, the question is not that Russian athletes did not complete, it is did we really catch all of them there that were cheating?  What's one more slice off an already cut loaf?

Iconic SR

I believe you are absolutely correct Iconic and I also think Russia has so many people, and nations perhaps, at their feet begging almost and not just about sports and Olympics.  I for one do believe they have interfered with other nations elections and not just the US, well by using or abusing social media and maybe other influences.  I guess it's something that is the "new world order" of the new Russia.  Sad that Russia matters so much, but they do. :-\
Russia controls a lot of oil distribution and revenue. Then there's the illegal stuff. Lots of influence. Russia's cheating in Olympic sports is just one indicator of just how corrupt their entire economic structure is. Most Russians live in circa 1950's living conditions while their elite becomes wealthy by screwing over their people and the world - wherever possible.

We need an Olympics without them.

Aerial

Yes, I am guessing that others were not caught by the testing system that could very well have been dirty, no question.  Are the Russians the only athletes though that are dirty and have methods to avoid testing positive?  I don't know.

I bet though the Olympic administrators though want the Russians in the Olympics as much as possible as I was saying.  It's not you or me that have much of a say on this but rather the Olympic administrators.  Part of me though would love to see the Russians out of the Olympics, for sure, if there is enough evidence the country in fact is doing doping and trying to hide it.  Then yes, get rid of them.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

Iconic SR

Yes, I am guessing that others were not caught by the testing system that could very well have been dirty, no question.  Are the Russians the only athletes though that are dirty and have methods to avoid testing positive?  I don't know.

I bet though the Olympic administrators though want the Russians in the Olympics as much as possible as I was saying.  It's not you or me that have much of a say on this but rather the Olympic administrators.  Part of me though would love to see the Russians out of the Olympics, for sure, if there is enough evidence the country in fact is doing doping and trying to hide it.  Then yes, get rid of them.
So much for fairness:
http://www.cbc.ca/1.4555191

Other country's athletes will now just strive to cheat better. The IOC is a joke.

Aerial

You start to wonder if there is some under-the-table money from the Russians to the IOC.  Who knows.

DAN38

Winning against an opponent in spite of their cheating is always very satisfying. That's why the 'miracle on ice', as they call it, is so special. A group of amateurs beating what in reality was an elite pro team is a miracle. Wish the Canucks had done it. The Russian team was basically the same team it took our best to beat in 72, although 8 years later. The Russian Red Army team. It's why Russia has won so many gold medals in Olympic hockey. A farce basically.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

Iconic SR

You start to wonder if there is some under-the-table money from the Russians to the IOC.  Who knows.
Bribery $ - and when that doesn't work, the incriminating pictures come out.

sambo42

Bribery $ - and when that doesn't work, the incriminating pictures come out.
 Well, there has been a bribery scandal... several IOC members took money to award the 2002 Winter Games to Salt Lake City. 

www.wsws.org/en/articles/1999/01/olym-j13.html

www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympic-games-ioc-report-shows-decades-of-bribery-1075358.html

TravelPat1

There were reports Australia 'bought' a couple of African IOC delegates to edge Beijing by just two votes - to win the Sydney games too.

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/jan/23/news/mn-875

Iconic SR

There were reports Australia 'bought' a couple of African IOC delegates to edge Beijing by just two votes - to win the Sydney games too.

And nobody has even mentioned the free hookers yet.....😬

If THREE Canadians involved at PyeongChang Olympics got nailed drinking and driving and stealing a car, while wearing their Team Canada gear, we can safely assume corruption exists within the IOC. It’s like the UN of sports.

Aerial

What's more corrupt, the IOC and Olympics or FIFA and the World Cup?  Makes me glad we have our Grey Cup here in Canada, sure not the biggy money or media driver of the Olympics or World Cup but something we own in our own country without American, world etc. involvement.

Iconic SR

What's more corrupt, the IOC and Olympics or FIFA and the World Cup?  Makes me glad we have our Grey Cup here in Canada, sure not the biggy money or media driver of the Olympics or World Cup but something we own in our own country without American, world etc. involvement.
After Sochi, the doping proof, then PyeongChang and Russia being reinstated now - I don’t see much difference between the two. Corruption is corruption. 

DAN38

How can there be free hookers ? ;)

Iconic SR

How can there be free hookers ? ;)
Courtesy hookers??

Users Online

73 Guests, 5 Users (15 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Lennywasout, ticats28, Mightygoose, Google (AdSense) (2), Google (13)

Most Online Today: 129. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)