Mightygoose

There is a reason it is always the Leafs at 7:00PM on CBC and they always have the #1 broadcast team and that reason is ratings. Even in years when they are bad the CBC ratings are driven by the Leafs.  When they are good - like they are this year - and are playing the defending Stanley Cup champions - it is a no brainer they would be the main CBC game.

I know that may not be fair to fans of other teams but it is the sound business decision.
Agreed and that prime window is key and will always cater to them.

Even when they're on the road in different times zones, St. Louis and even Vancouver. They'll get 7 pm EST. They're the centre of the universe for a reason ;D

sambo42

I will always watch the other games, and not watch CBC... at least not the first game of the Sat. night doubleheader. 

FootbalYouBet

my wife and I watched the jets/tampa game the other night.  don't know what network
Live well and please God

If every man had a wife like mine
There would be no war,  there would be no crime

TravelPat1

Speaking of Leafs (with an assist to Connor McDavid) drawing ratings - the Oilers - Leafs game last night drew 1,170,000 viewers - highest for Sportsnet's Sunday night 'Hometown Hockey' this season. 

Leafs this year have won 20 games in 31 played. The 3rd fastest they've won 20 in the team's 100 year history.  

Lyle B. Style

Speaking of Leafs (with an assist to Connor McDavid) drawing ratings - the Oilers - Leafs game last night drew 1,170,000 viewers - highest for Sportsnet's Sunday night 'Hometown Hockey' this season.

Leafs this year have won 20 games in 31 played. The 3rd fastest they've won 20 in the team's 100 year history.  
Clear the track, here comes Shack!!!

And Chief and Big Al Stanley & Johnny Bower & Keon & Tim Horton & Ron Ellis & other ghosts of Leafs past . . . .
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

sambo42

And Chief and Big Al Stanley & Johnny Bower & Keon & Tim Horton & Ron Ellis & other ghosts of Leafs past . . . .
 So that's why you rail on the Jets... you are a Leafs' fan!... 

Lyle B. Style

So that's why you rail on the Jets... you are a Leafs' fan!...
Never much of a Leafs fan - when I was young I was fascinated by the names Boom Boom, Rocket, Jacques, Savardian Spinorama, Big Bird, Pocket Rocket, Big M, Little M, Roggie, Toe, etc. These were the heroes of my youth - and in western Canada that wasn't a popular stance for a 7 to 15 yr old kid (most western Canadian fans were sheeple lemmings to the Leafs, a few outliers to the Bruins & Rangers)

Last draft the Leafs got lucky w/ Matthews at #1, Jets took Laine at #2. I'm told that if the Jets had totally fluked the draft and received #1 pick they would still have picked Laine cuz they were fascinated by his European goal-scoring, wrist shot and slapper.

That's how dumb the Jets can get. It was a split board but fortunately the Jets didn't get into pretzel position. They picked #2 and Laine was a no-brainer.

In no shape, way or form is Laine equal to Auston Matthews. Matthews is clearly better in every category: 1. Puck-handling (Laine is awful w/ possession), 2. Skating (Matthews very superior), 3. Play-making (Laine is adequate here but only in the offensive zone), 4. Checking (both guys are a bit feeble, Matthews is better). Only areas Laine is better: 1. Slightly better wrister, 2. Much better slapper - both boys about equal in the accuracy department - Matthews a bit tidier close-in, Laine better sniper from a distance.

Mightygoose

Rumour circulating that the Ottawa Senators are to be sold to group lead by Jeff Hunt. Presumably OSEG

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/wheelin-wednesday-sens-sold-liam-maguire/?published

Probably best to take it with a grain of salt for now but there has been talk of the team being sold for a while and likely before the arena deal in LeBreton is done as Melnyk likely doesn't have the financials to complete the deal or even run an NHL team anymore.

It would be good news for the team if this is true.

Lyle B. Style

Unless Hunt has a sugar daddy or wants to put up the family fortune - he'd probably have to buy the thing on credit - and Gary Bettman might put a kaybosh on that. Bettman loves up-front coin - so unless the bank cuts a big cheque to the NHL Hunt will remain on the beg. (My guess is Ottawa worth somewhere between $150 mill. & $225 million; smallish market, out of city arena, old arena, etc.)
Ottawa a bit smaller market than Winnipeg, more commercial activity within 40 mile radius and of course the country capital. Winnipeg a more loyal market, fans are totally enamoured by the team but some cracks in the wall showing - Bombers starting to resurge slightly after being dormant 10+ years, Goldeyes (C Pro Ball) drawing 2,500 to 6,500 fans per game for nearly 50 home games plus playoffs (C Ball commands ticket prices between $5 and $35.

Like Winnipeg Ottawa has a decent pro football operation and a wobbly NHL franchise!

Don't know if they still have a minor league pro baseball team but they do have the Ottawa 67s and Winnipeg no longer has Tier 1 junior hockey (moved to Moose Jaw many moons ago)

Winnipeg now has their minor league AHL hockey franchise (Moose) in town. Convenient for the NHL squad - but the team, now big winners on the ice only draw between 3,000 and 5,000 most nites. (Still profitable if they average 4,000)

Aerial

Unless Hunt has a sugar daddy or wants to put up the family fortune
It's the sum of the whole group though, no need for one sugar daddy in that case.  Hunt would be just leading the group so it would seem.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

c-way-dude

It's the sum of the whole group though, no need for one sugar daddy in that case.  Hunt would be just leading the group so it would seem.
Hunt isn't the money man.  OSEG brought him on board because he owned the OHL's '67's (which played at Lansdowne), and was very effective in promoting them.  Hunt does a good job being OSEG's frontman.  The big money men are Schenckman, Greenberg, and Ruddy.  They probably could afford to buy the Senators, but I doubt they would want too.

Hank01

Hunt isn't the money man.  OSEG brought him on board because he owned the OHL's '67's (which played at Lansdowne), and was very effective in promoting them.  Hunt does a good job being OSEG's frontman.  The big money men are Schenckman, Greenberg, and Ruddy.  They probably could afford to buy the Senators, but I doubt they would want too.
 No maybe not the team right away C-Way but that Real estate deal downtown at Lebreton Flats  maybe ? 

Ruddy ( trinity development group ) is already working with Melnyk to develop the land so it is pretty tempting for Ottawa's other kingpins in OSEG not to buy into it even if it's a 49 percent share . Melnyk needs to partner with somebody it might as well be with proven developers in the region . The hockey team maybe just a way to divvy  up the shares in the end .

FootbalYouBet

now would be a good time for the leafs to go on a 20 game losing streak

FootbalYouBet

now would be a good time for the leafs to go on a 20 game losing streak
I know it is a long shot, but 3 down and 17 more to go, hopefully

Lyle B. Style

Leafs long-term hopes rest with A. Matthews. Once he's back there won't be any extended losing streaks. Just normal stuff - like team taking a night off when it doesn't feel like playing or saving itself for a more important matchup.

Jets long-term hopes rest on virtually nothing. They are a team of invisible men who are now seeing major adjustments to their goal-tending stats (getting poorer) and shooting percentages of their aces (Blade Wheeler, Laine, Schiefele) who are getting increasingly frustrated hitting the net)

Jets in St. Loo tonite - where the Blues are a veritable Wounded Warriors team - and the Jets are healthy (minus #33 Buffalo Butt). Jets are in trouble - no effort, no speed, no timing, just flubbed short passes and icing calls with their usual smattering of frustration penalties)

Chicago - a slumping and dying quail if there ever was - handled the Jets as if they were a Junior B team with average goal-tending. Jets continued their reputation as Official Slump-Buster of the NHL by donating the game to the Blackhawks. Hawks are so bad even Winnipegger Jonathan Toews couldn't buy a shot on net or goal vs. the lightweight Jets. Watch the Hawks when they resume play vs. hard-charging and vicious checking teams not named Winnipeg. They'll have trouble.

Jets meanwhile in St. Louis tonite - even with the Blues minor-league team I can't see the Jets winning. THey'll either hang on sloopy for an OT loss (Jets are useless in 3 on 3 or shootouts currently) or go down without a peep in regular time. All the blues spares have to do is check the beejeebers out of the Jets slow superstars (Schiefele, Laine), get Blake Wheeler frustrated (easy job these days) and make sure substitute goalie Steve Mason is not allowed to heat up and steal the game away via shutout.

Worst part of Jets current downslide is Patrick Laine. His biggest weapon (some say only) is his shot and close-checking has taken that away. When he has open space he's anticipating a jolt so he releases way too early and is too often way off target. Laine is now proven to be an average skater (at best) and his passing in all zones is shall we say tepid (a nice word for useless). He's a puck-flubber at best and disinterested at worst.

Jets have a cadre of good young players but are also burdened with AHL calibre d-men (Chairot, Poolman, etc.) and borderline 3rd and 4th liners like Tanev, Hendricks, etc. who couldn't put a beach ball in the ocean.

Their coach, Paul Maryse is now the losingest head coach in NHL history. Some of his line choices and special teams techniques are hoaxes, they must be.

But they're still 3rd in the conference. By Monday they could be in 5th or 6th - and falling!

Users Online

85 Guests, 12 Users (9 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Aerial, jonny24eh, DJohnson1954, everyman, ticat1, The Last Word, Cool, batkinson001, PTBO Dave, 15_championships, Google (9)

Most Online Today: 170. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)