sambo42

Hmmm....Jets/Hurricanes is the hometown hockey game tonight... Millen, the colour guy says Paul Maurice should get consideration for coach of the year... agree Lyle?
In certain games and during a couple epic runs Paul Maurice should be included in the conversation, no doubt.

Tonite, the Jets were without two good d-men in Tobias Enstrom (a smallish but wiley veteran who knows what to do with the puck, a bit weak in front of his own net as most guys can push him around with their finger) and Jacob Trouba, the soon-to-be free agent who was a tower of power before going down with a bad ankle injury nearly 7 weeks ago.

Blake Wheeler, their power forward captain who is in the running for NHL MVP was injured in the 3rd period but the Jets withstood a fierce Raleigh assault and eked out the W tonite.

Not pretty to watch but winning teams sometimes have to playing ugly winning hockey vs. pretty losing hockey (like the Jets last couple years)

Won't catch Nashville but should get a hometown seed in the playoffs - prolly need 8 wins in their last 15 games to capture #2 seed, 6 or 7 wins to get #3 or #4.

The real test for Maurice (not measureable for coach of the year) is how he fares in the playoffs. Go down 4 straight to a lower but more experienced seed and I think his days are numbers. Win a couple (or 3) games and lose in the 1st round, Jets prolly keep him around 1 more year (he's currently on a 3 year extension)....if the Jets win a couple rounds - Maurice should get a 10 year extension.

But I still maintain he's not a hi-level tactical coach (like Quennville, Babcock, Cooper, Scotty Bowman) and the Jets have some awful possession numbers (but its improving)
 I actually thought some of his moves cost the Jets a couple of games... I think of him more of a lucky stiff than a great coach. A monkey could stand behind the bench and do the same job... kind of like Sather was when he coached the Oilers when he was basically doing the same thing... the Jets are doing well, but coach of the year is a bit of a stretch, in my opinion.

Lyle B. Style

Maurice gets by more on his incredible ability to verbalize things to the Winnipeg media, thus the fans.

On the negative side he tends to panic if one of his players has a lousy shift and puts his line combos into what everyone in Winnipeg calls the "Maurice Blender" . .. .

He leaves the coaching of details to inferior assistants - Charlie Huddy probably being the worst - a 55-60 yr old ex Oiler champion who couldn't get a head coaching job if he volunteered to work for free.

Jets still get confused and denied when a team puts exceptional muscle and speed on them. That will be their undoing in the playoffs - the other undoing is if Connor Hellybuyck suddenly realizes he's NOT TERRY SAWCHUK.
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

RedandWhite

...flames are done...they'd have to go on one helluva streak to get back into a playoff picture again...shame...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

sambo42

...flames are done...they'd have to go on one helluva streak to get back into a playoff picture again...shame...
 The Flames remind me of the Jets of last year... lots of talent, but inconsistent. IMO, their one weakness is still in goal, if they can find a FA netminder, or get one via trade, they would be a playoff team. At least they are on the upswing, unlike the Habs, Sens & Canucks, who keep finding new ways to miss the playoffs. 

RedandWhite

...Smith had been playing net lights out good until his injury, that's been the main cause of the slide IMO, throwing Gillies and Rittich in there was necessary but cruel...oh well, I see they are mathematically still in it after last nights beat down of buffalo, but they'll have to go like 10 and 4 now to have a chance...don't think that is going to happen... 

sambo42

...Smith had been playing net lights out good until his injury, that's been the main cause of the slide IMO, throwing Gillies and Rittich in there was necessary but cruel...oh well, I see they are mathematically still in it after last nights beat down of buffalo, but they'll have to go like 10 and 4 now to have a chance...don't think that is going to happen...
 I don't think the Flames are not out of it yet... if they can put a good winning streak together, they might still have a chance... like the Jets, a weakness might be coaching... tossing your stick into the stands and a profanity laced tirade only goes so far, it might be good for shock value, but sooner or later players will just tune that out. 

RedandWhite

..I agree...when I saw that rant on TSN this morning I thought 'yep, I'd probably be not listening to that for very long'...it's unnecessary...

Lyle B. Style

Paul "Cyclops" Maurice continues his downward descent as NHL's most losing coach - EVER.
Some totally shady tactics from NHL's worst tactician as Jets fall to Capitals in last minute of OT.

Jets had 3 gassed players on the ice surface - got a 2 on 1 break - guys could barely pass the puck a couple feet - and the play immediately went the other way with only a gassed Dustin Byfuglien risking possession at the blue-line, letting Kuznetsov zoom by him and pocket the winning goal with 48 sec. let.

Tonite - Paul "The Announcer" Maurice and his Jets are in Nashville to battle the #1 Jackasses.
Missing Tiny Toby Enstrom, Jacob Trouba, Dmitri Khulikov from blue-line
Mark Schiefele, Matt Hendricks, Mattieu Perrault, Adam Lowry from forward units.

Jets also trotting out 1-gamer Michael Hutchinson to play net.

On paper Jets should lose 4 or 5 to 1 . . . . but Jets play hard and give almost every team (even one's superior to them) fits.

Jets will still lose. That's a guarantee - unless Nashville takes the nite off. But margin wont be of slaughter nature. Maybe 4-1 or 4-2 Nash . . . . . Winnipeg takes far too many 2 minutes for being out of position penalties, needless and reckless penalties and have really sketchy coaching.

Great young talents - but destined for 1st round extermination in this year's playoff route. Most Jet fans will be super-happy if we can produce 1, perhaps 2 home wins.

AS PORKY PIG USED TO SAY - THATS ALL FOLKS!!!

btw - if Jets take the night off and Maurice coaches them into the ground - Nashville may take a monster win - a la 8-1 or 9-2

sambo42

Winnipeg is missing quite a few key players, but they are still winning... really, take Nylander, Marner, Kadri, Reilly, Gardiner out the Leafs' lineup, would they be where they are right now? 

Flames got a big win last night, I caught most the last period of it... looks like they played a great game, a low scoring affair with the arch-rival Oilers. If they can play like that for the rest of the season, they could get a playoff spot.

RedandWhite

..maybe sam, just maybe...the thing I found interesting last night was McDavid getting slammed around after the play and no one in an Oiler jersey that didn't have 97 on it seemed to care a whole lot...Mcdavid's no wuss but man you gotta stand up for your fellow players at some point and say "can't do that"...they've checked out as a team already IMO...

Lyle B. Style

Jets lost back-up to back-up goalie Mikey Hutchinson to either concussion protocol or upper body injury - in the 1st period - after Trashville has pelted 3 pucks past Hutch.

Also lost star trade deadline acquisition Paul Stasny to injury in the pre-game warmup.

Jets won't say anything about either.

Knowing what Jets silence indicates -

Hutchinson is done for season
Stasny is probably gone 2 to 5 weeks

Jets said Toby Enstrom would play the same day his leg was blown off - now its indefinite.

Mark Schiefele apparently didn't re-injure same shoulder - he's been practicing - BUT NO WAY will jets put him into a real game for several more outings - perhaps they'll slip him into 2nd line duty just prior to playoffs (2 or 3 games left)

Jacob Trouba - been out most of the year - he's been on schedule to return for at least a week - no sign of him joining the roster.

When you start lying to your fans - your fans suddenly start disappearing!

sambo42

..maybe sam, just maybe...the thing I found interesting last night was McDavid getting slammed around after the play and no one in an Oiler jersey that didn't have 97 on it seemed to care a whole lot...Mcdavid's no wuss but man you gotta stand up for your fellow players at some point and say "can't do that"...they've checked out as a team already IMO...
  After watching the Shaw/Pateryn incident last night, it seemed no Habs cared about Shaw being punched while unconscious either... I think that is why you see a lot of injuries now... no "policeman" in the game. I agree with you about McJesus, but I thought that is why the Oilers signed Lucic, to protect him and Draisaitl, seems like a bad investment, Lucic is nowhere near the player he was in Boston. The Oilers problems run deeper, but IMO, they need a veteran forward and Dman to teach this team how to win, otherwise they are doomed to lose their stars like they used to do before the salary cap.

Lyle B. Style

Hab players are just putting in time to fulfill contractual obligations. None of their players care for anyone else but themselves. Coaching staff is same way - head coach is just feigning concern and alertness but can't wait to get a healthy separation package.

As for Edmonton - more promising roster - 7 to 9 really good to great players, 4 to 6 mediocres and the remainder - old rubbish and duds. Hobbitt McLellan is living on borrowed time - he's obviously taking inquiries for his next destination.

Jets have far superior roster to either Montreal or Edmonton - Jets & Leafs are the two best teams in Canada - no one else even close.

Toronto has a trump card - Babcock - best pro coach in the game, last 15 years - Quennville a close 2nd

Get Matthews healthy, keep Andersen up and that team can reach FINAL 4 before succumbing!

Jets are like an infantry squad who's blown all their ammo on early battles. Nothing left in the chamber but blanks. Laine is the only one capable of bulging twine and even his scoring percentage is going down. Was 20% - he'll be lucky to be 7 or 8% down the stretch.

Jets face a clear and present danger of losing 8 to 10 of their remaining 11 games - which probably drops them to 3rd in their division.

Used to be the Jets would win their last 6 or 7 games when out of playoffs just to spite the fans and prevent a higher draft pick (like last year when they could have potentially slithered into another draft lottery) but this year without healthy players, without scoring ammo and backup goaltending - PLUS THE OBVIOUS BURDEN OF CARRYING BAGGAGE LIKE MAURICE AS HEAD COACH. (best talking coach in hockey; worst tactical guy)

If Jets go out meekly in the first round (5 or 6 games) I firmly believe Paul Maurice will be relieved of his duties. Jets would be wise to get someone like McLellan, the Habs coach, obviously Joel Quennville if he somehow becomes available!

Paolo X

What's the latest talk on which teams in the US might be moved, due to continued struggles?

And will there be any other expansion team other than perhaps Seattle, which is still in review but has considerably more buzz than even had the Las Vegas expansion? (beware autoplay after clicking, so turn sound off)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2018/03/14/seattle-nhl-expansion-bid-creates-bigger-buzz-than-vegas/426238002/
Best Regards, Paolo

sambo42

I'd be very surprised is any more teams moved, Bettman is trying very hard to keep teams exactly where they are, and where are those team going to go? Quebec City? nope... we know hockey won't work in Atlanta and I don't see them moving into places like New Orleans, Indianapolis or even to put another team in the Bay Area of California. If Seattle is approved, that means there are 32 teams in the NHL.... I don't know if they can dilute the product any more than it already is... and there is a hockey team in Seattle, the WHL's T-birds... can the city support both? Unlikely, so where do they move to? There aren't many cities in the Pacific Northwest or BC that the Western league hasn't tried already, and for the junior club to have success, there has to be an appetite for hockey, and between the pro leagues and junior leagues, markets have been saturated.

Users Online

67 Guests, 4 Users (16 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
blackandgld, Hamilton2005, Google (AdSense) (2), Google (14)

Most Online Today: 129. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)