sambo42

As a Habs fan, I know they were in for a tough season... they didn't address any needs, size, scoring, D... they kept Benn who was an absolute waste of space last year in the playoffs. I would have protected Emelin... lets the Knights take Benn, he is just about totally useless. The PK trade is biting MB in the butt right now.

I loved the 5-3 shorty in last night's NJ/Tor game... I'm hoping a couple of more losses will bring the Leafs and fans crashing back to earth... although I still believe that the NHL's biggest market is in line for a SC sooner rather than later...

PTBO Dave

On to off ice news.

New Rockets onwer showing some interest in bringing the NHL to Houston.....if the numbers pencil out. Building is already in place which he controls.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/new-rockets-owner-interested-bringing-nhl-team-houston/

Once Seattle gets their building in order likely later in the year and if another expansion process starts and both apply. League is going to have an intriguing decision to make.
Interesting. Houston would be easier to just slot into the Central Division with Dallas.

What do you think they'd do with Seattle joining? I guess just slide Arizona over to the Central. 

Maybe they could move Arizona to Houston and give Seattle an expansion team.

Aerial

sambo, I've heard everyone in Toronto is already planning the SC Leafs parade now though!  8)

The Seattle situation with arenas sounds a bit complicated.

http://q13fox.com/2017/10/10/sports-fans-weigh-in-on-keyarena-redevelopment-plan/
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Lyle B. Style

Looks like Winnipeg Jets have an interesting team on their hands this year. Brought in a veteran star goalie to take over prime responsibilities from up 'n coming trainee Connor Hellybuyck but Helly has been superb and The Sugar Man from Philly has been a bust. (Steve Mason)

Not quite time to push the panic button but Jets #2 overall pick rookie Patrick Laine looks like he's in severe sophomore slump mode. 3 goals in 11 games - still on pace for 23 to 26 goals - but he had 36 as a bare-assed rookie last year. This one was easy to see from a mile away by semi-knowledgeable hockey analysts - Laine is a one-dimensional player (great shot from inside 35 ft), the book on him is making sure you get a forechecker or d-man to put a stick a few inches away from his contact point. He'll either barf up the puck or whack it into the stands. Bomber or Jet fans never really panic because they're used to losing and being professional mopes. . . . . . so hope will continue to be on the lookout for Laine. . . . . he couldn't even catch Phil Kessel after he barfed up the puck to the pudgy Penguin in OT - Pudge Kessel was actually pulling away from the lanky 6'5", 19 yr old freshface before he potted the winning goal

I'm sure Laine will come to life against hobo teams (fewer and fewer of them exist) that don't bother looking at game films and putting the right check on Laine. . . . . . but I suspect he'll still end up with 20 to 25 goals (assuming a near full season) to quiet the natives. Right now, it looks like Auston Matthews and Connor McDavid are in a totally different league than Laine. Laine is 1-dimensional. Matthews isn't - The leaf #1 pick also destroyed Laine with 40+ goals last season, easily taking rookie of the year from the 1-dimensional Mr. Laine.

Eventually Laine will demand a trade - his livelihood depends on it. Right now, everyone is abiding by the bible and keeping their lids on. Just wait a few more weeks!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

TravelPat1

The Leafs have sort of hit a wall too after their red hot start - losing 4 of their last 5.  Babcock has done a big shuffle of the lines for tonight's game with Bozak and Marner bumped to the 4th line. 

Lyle B. Style

Almost all NHL teams have become quite experienced in taking nights off with pay.
Penguins got Jet-bombed by Wpg. 7-1 but they were playing the night before.
Pens also got laced by Chicago.
Teams know they can't play all-out for 80+ games. Just a few untalented 3rd and 4th liners (plus fighters) play all out tough every game.

Guys like Malkin, Laine, The Sedins, Byfuglien, etc. take nights off when and where they want. That's the NHL way. Too bad you can't reduce your $98 ticket to a $20 ticket when the stars you came to see decide to check out.

c-way-dude

Interesting. Houston would be easier to just slot into the Central Division with Dallas.

I think that's what will happen.  One city will get the Coyotes and the other will get an expansion team.

Mightygoose

I think that's what will happen.  One city will get the Coyotes and the other will get an expansion team.
Kypereos was on HNIC last week and even on Prime Time Sports this week and apparently there are many people concerned that Coyotes owner Andrew Barroway doesn't have the financials to finish the season.

They're on a year to year lease which has an auto renewal at the end of calendar year.

If there's no progress on a new arena then yes, sliding the Coyotes to Houston and in the central makes allot of sense and then expand to Seattle as the rebuilt Key Arena starts to take form.

Hank01

Who would have thought by Nov 5th  that the Las Vegas Boogie Nights would have a better record than the Leafs or Oilers .

Not sure if they can hold up much longer but it's an interesting start .

Lyle B. Style

As a Habs fan, I know they were in for a tough season... they didn't address any needs, size, scoring, D... they kept Benn who was an absolute waste of space last year in the playoffs. I would have protected Emelin... lets the Knights take Benn, he is just about totally useless. The PK trade is biting MB in the butt right now.

I loved the 5-3 shorty in last night's NJ/Tor game... I'm hoping a couple of more losses will bring the Leafs and fans crashing back to earth... although I still believe that the NHL's biggest market is in line for a SC sooner rather than later...
Habs made the Top 3 Wpg Jets look like 7 yr old children last time out. Aldo Montoya let in a couple easies for the Habs and Connor H kept the Jets in the thing with some acrobatics - but Winnipeg wasn't even in the sniff - despite being up 2 goals with 8 minutes to go the Jets were hard-pressed to hang on sloopy for an OT loss - Myers, The Texas Tornado taking an idiotic cross-checking penalty to start OT and the Habs stick-dangled around Jets lazy-boy Dustin Byfuglien and their feeble Swedish d-man Enstrom for an easy tap-in.

Too good a coach in Julian - Mr. Weber is a monster D - Pacioretty can compete with everyone save Crosby, Malkin, McDavid. Real question is whether Carey Price is heading south talent-wise or if its just an injury blip (again)

Lyle B. Style

I think that's what will happen.  One city will get the Coyotes and the other will get an expansion team.
Kypereos was on HNIC last week and even on Prime Time Sports this week and apparently there are many people concerned that Coyotes owner Andrew Barroway doesn't have the financials to finish the season.

They're on a year to year lease which has an auto renewal at the end of calendar year.

If there's no progress on a new arena then yes, sliding the Coyotes to Houston and in the central makes allot of sense and then expand to Seattle as the rebuilt Key Arena starts to take form.
Fear is that Barroway is a Trump-style scammer. I think that before the league moves the franchise they'll have the other 30 teams subsidize them for the balance of the season - then make the move. Remember, Bettman likes to torment and bribe potential new owners with massive entry fees and lots of juice on the side. No different this time. Bettman will be talking positive until the deal(s) go down!

Aerial

I like this comment following from the news piece below about Houston expansion:

Too many teams now.....and plenty of teams with 0 following.
Stop the money grabbing lunacy....killing a great sport.

Report: NHL exploring Houston for expansion to 32 'not impossible to see'

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/report-nhl-exploring-houston-for-expansion-to-32-not-impossible-to-see/

Hank01

I like this comment following from the news piece below about Houston expansion:

Too many teams now.....and plenty of teams with 0 following.
Stop the money grabbing lunacy....killing a great sport.

Report: NHL exploring Houston for expansion to 32 'not impossible to see'

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/report-nhl-exploring-houston-for-expansion-to-32-not-impossible-to-see/
It's nice too see basically an AHL team in the NHL called the Las Vegas G Knights beat NHL teams this year . You have an Australian and many other novelties now making the NHL .Way too many teams for the talent pool. #watereddownNHL

Lyle B. Style

The elite teams all have a couple superstars (or more) PLUS

2 solid lines w/ a competent 3rd line and some up 'n comers checking up a 4th line

The mid-level teams have 1 very good line, 1 average 2nd line and then mostly hobos and free agents muddling on the 3rd & 4th

The bottom line teams have nary a superstar, 1 good line, lots of injured guys and hobos rounding out the roster.

Top 8 level teams have a solid 1-2 defensive pair, a shut-down 3-4 and competent guys taking a bit of ice-time in non-threatening situations at 5 & 6.

A great goalie can move a mid-card team into the final 8 if he gets hot at the right time!

A bad goalie can move a Top 8 team into the mid-pack with prolonged mediocre goal-tending!

Just my opinion - I could be Howie Meeker!

sambo42

To me the biggest disappointment nearing the quarter pole the season is the Oilers... apart from the dynamic duo of McDavid and Draisaitl, they can't seem to score... if you add RNH to the mix they have scored nearly half the team's goals... their secondary scoring seems to be non-existant at this point.

Users Online

93 Guests, 11 Users (3 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mark, Lyle B. Style, mycko75, KevinRiley2, PTBO Dave, Mightygoose, Iconic SR, bobo82, Allek, Yahoo!, Google (2)

Most Online Today: 117. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)