Iconic SR

Aerial

Too funny, wife just watched it and she said that guy has issues, takes his team and sport WAY too serious.  Have to agree.  Video was funny but a bit too serious funny!

The other thing the NFL should do for more excitement in the game is, like the CFL, have receivers just need one foot in bounds for a catch.  Then you can see, again like the CFL, great athletes extending more to make catches and showing off their athletic ability.  College football one foot, basketball one foot ball going out of bounds, hockey blue line one foot. Again I think it's stupid albeit with an extra down and hence easier to make first downs (in theory), I guess the argument can be made receivers should have 2 feet in bounds to make up for the difference of the offence having an extra down.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Iconic SR

Too funny, wife just watched it and she said that guy has issues, takes his team and sport WAY too serious.  Have to agree.  Video was funny but a bit too serious funny!

The other thing the NFL should do for more excitement in the game is, like the CFL, have receivers just need one foot in bounds for a catch.  Then you can see, again like the CFL, great athletes extending more to make catches and showing off their athletic ability.  College football one foot, basketball one foot ball going out of bounds, hockey blue line one foot. Again I think it's stupid albeit with an extra down and hence easier to make first downs (in theory), I guess the argument can be made receivers should have 2 feet in bounds to make up for the difference of the offence having an extra down.
Yeah for sure. Funny to watch if you're not there, but I bet that dude makes things awkward as hell for others to be around him. If I started throwing food around the house during a football game, I'd likely be a single man right now. 

The NFL has gotta change that rule. The officials got it right, but the rule is stupid.

Aerial

James had control of the ball and knee was down.  That should be a catch right at that point, no question at all.  Carr as well, control of the ball, ball in end zone, td.  

They need to change this for sure.

I should know but what are these plays in the CFL called according to the rules?

RedandWhite

James had control of the ball and knee was down.
...and different than if he was running the ball...if he was running it, has control, stretches out to make the TD, knee down, dead ball, the ground cannot cause the fumble, and Pitt gets the ball on the 1 yard line....but in this case, he catches the ball, shows possession, stretches out to make the TD, knee down, no dead ball because he's not touched, ball squirts out, ruled an incomplete pass...similar actions with a completely different interpretation...weird eh?
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

Aerial

Now that you mention yes, weird for sure, didn't think of this if it was a back running with the ball.  That is crazy.  Possession of the ball should be possession of the ball, period.

Iconic SR

Now that you mention yes, weird for sure, didn't think of this if it was a back running with the ball.  That is crazy.
This is where the NFL gets really stupid. In the CFL this is clearly an earned TD. Pittsburgh now loses their home playoff game if Patriots win their next game.

That being said, these coaches and players are being paid MORE than enough to use better logic in how they ended the game. How can the QB know to spike it but the sideline doesn't?

Almost as bad a decision as Seattle passing vs using the run to lose the Superbowl awhile back. 

Aerial

Yeah, that ending was weird in the Steelers- Pats game, my guess is that Ben wanted to beat the Pats so bad (taking this from TSN NFL analyst forget his name at the moment) :

To spike, or not to spike? The Steelers were torn on Sunday as time ticked away in the best game of the 2017 regular season. After Darrius Heyward-Bey was tackled in bounds and the game clock dipped below 20 seconds, Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh coaching staff had a decision to make on a third-and-goal from the seven-yard line with no time outs left. Was anyone on the same page?

At the 20-second mark, Roethlisberger makes the “spike it” motion as the offense hustles to the line. At the 16-second mark, Roethlisberger looks to the left side of the formation where Heyward-Bey and JuJu Smith-Schuster are lined up. And at the 13-second mark, he turns to the right side of the field, where receiver Eli Rogers is lined up. Roethlisberger then taps his helmet with both hands, signaling a route to Rogers; he quickly looks at the left side again and gives the same signal. He goes under center and takes the snap with nine seconds left, and immediately fakes a spike.

Rogers takes off, while Smith-Schuster, Heyward-Bey and Le’Veon Bell (lined up in the backfield) barely move, clearly anticipating the ball will be spiked (tight end Jesse James stays in to block, halfheartedly). The offensive and defensive lines stand straight up, expecting the play to end immediately. Patriots back-seven defenders on the offense’s left side of the field barely move, while the four defenders on the right side—Rogers’s side—keep playing.

We all know what happens next: Roethlisberger tries to fit a throw into Rogers in the middle of the field. Cornerback Eric Rowe deflects the pass and it lands in the hands of a surprised Duron Harmon, the safety loitering until the play’s final moment.

The question is: why? After the game, all parties involved tried to explain:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/17/nfl-week-15-big-ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-fake-spike-patriots-interception-themmqb-newsletter

FootbalYouBet

I was rooting very strongly for the Raiders, but Carr screwed up, it was not a TD.
Live well and please God

If every man had a wife like mine
There would be no war,  there would be no crime

Aerial

What a horrible reversed call in the Bills-Pats game today on a pass touchdown that got called back.  The onfield officials made a tough call, so close, and from the angles on TV and the broadcasters saying not enough evidence to overturn but the Command Centre or whatever it's called in the NFL overturned it.  Brutal and total garbage overturn.  I will never complain again about the CFL and officiating and Command Centre after that garbage I saw today from the NFL.  It ruined the game for me and I'm glad I didn't watch the rest of the game but went for a walk in the snow.  Better than watching how this crap played out in that game.  Sad the Bills lost, didn't watch the second half but I guess the Pats beat 'em up after that garbage overturned call.

Don't get me wrong, this one could have gone either way but for so close, you don't overturn the onfield official call.  NFL got this one WRONG.  There wasn't enough evidence the receiver didn't get his second foot in bounds with enough control.  No way should this have been overturned.  CFL stuff is no worse than this crapola.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/bills-patriots-nfl-catch-rule-kelvin-benjamin-video-new-england-buffalo/1dxj95dul83ek11iec9wzrufhn

More fallout:

NFL made catch rule worse with latest explanation that's bound to inflame fans, players

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said the competition committee has its “work cut out” on the rules of NFL catches. Buffalo Bills coach Sean McDermott McDermott is “at a loss” to understand the officiating of them. And Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins “isn’t satisfied” with the actual definition. OF. A. CATCH.
Meanwhile, fans just want this all to make sense. To find simplicity. To match up with what the eyes tell us. Yet, this sensible resolution remains absurdly elusive, as if it were written on a note card and then buried beneath Jimmy Hoffa.
And it’s only getting worse. Either the catch rule isn’t written correctly … or not officiated correctly … or some combination of both. If you needed a prime example, Christmas Eve gifted one more lump of coal for the fire, when the NFL’s replay overlord negated a touchdown catch from Buffalo Bills receiver Kelvin Benjamin – while watching from the league’s operations office in New York, no less.
It turns out you can even screw up an NFL catch via telephone. NFL vice president of officiating Al Riveron proved it Sunday, overturning a Bills touchdown catch during a 37-16 Bills loss to the New England Patriots.
In response, two high-profile former NFL officiating executives wasted no time blasting the decision, proving that almost nobody likes the league’s catch rules (you can excuse Bill Belichick and Eli Manning on this). Not the players. Not the coaches. Not the fans. And not even the guys who used to get paid by the NFL to carry this noxious pail of water

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/nfl-made-catch-rule-worse-latest-explanation-thats-bound-inflame-fans-players-023844170.html

Aerial

Decent write-up on former CFLer Brett Jones from Weyburn Saskatchewan who played university ball with the Regina Rams, and his experience playing now with the Giants.  

While it hasn't been easy, former CFL star has found success with New York Giants

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/cfl-brett-jones-new-york-giants-calgary-stampeders-offensive-line-eli-manning/kg2w1s7xe2su101n0kgqxy2op?utm_source=nfl.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=widget

FootbalYouBet

wow

look at the difference for the various game starting prices for next weeks games.

Specifically Indianapolis vs LA (Chargers)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/schedules/regular/2017/week17

Aerial

Wow, all over the map! Didn't realize the range that can be had within NFL games. 

FootbalYouBet

and Buffalo sneaks in.  Glad Balt is out.

Too bad Jags mailed it in.  Was hoping the Chargers could replace Titans.

Don't expect either wild card team to win in AFC but I think one will win in NFC.

expect a Viking Steelers SB.

Aerial

Yea, finally the Bills make it to the playoffs after so many years missing, longest streak of any of the 4 major NA leagues not to have made the playoffs.  I'm sure there are a lot of happy, and very relieved Bills fans out there today. 

Users Online

70 Guests, 11 Users (8 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
bobo82, Aerial, Taleback, DJohnson1954, KevinRiley2, everyman, Lennywasout, jonny24eh, ticat1, The Last Word, Google (8)

Most Online Today: 170. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)