Hank01

When you see the crazy money like this how do we keep some of our players from not bailing when this kind of money is literally thrown in the wind. 

Some players are driven to leave our league for a piece of this windfall that is so freely falling from the NFL money tree . Hard not to blame them .

I agree the money is disgusting ; it is one of the main reasons pro sports has lost it's  appeal for me . If it wasn't for the violence and injury possibility in Football I would bail on it but feel in some way there is some justification for the pot of gold for the gladiators when there is health issues at stake in this sport .
MY NEW HERO JORDAN PETERSON FOR PRIME MINISTER

Iconic SR

When you see the crazy money like this how do we keep some of our players from not bailing when this kind of money is literally thrown in the wind.

Some players are driven to leave our league for a piece of this windfall that is so freely falling from the NFL money tree . Hard not to blame them .

I agree the money is disgusting ; it is one of the main reasons pro sports has lost it's  appeal for me . If it wasn't for the violence and injury possibility in Football I would bail on it but feel in some way there is some justification for the pot of gold for the gladiators when there is health issues at stake in this sport .
On one hand we have a league (NFL) which has many past players with CTE and not enough money to survive on, and then on the other hand they have guys earning millions PER GAME right here and now. It’s stupid beyond belief.

Aerial

That's the way capitalism can work though.  Equitable distribution of wealth and resources among people in a society isn't exactly the cornerstone of the paradigm of capitalism.  What do you do?   :-\

And I admit, if I win the lottery tomorrow, the bulk of my winnings, I'm sure,  will stay with me and my wife and we will buy a new house, new car, go on fancy vacations etc. and live the dream life.  We are all caught up in this thing called capitalism which has great upsides for individual rights.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Iconic SR

That's the way capitalism can work though.  Equitable distribution of wealth and resources among people in a society isn't exactly the cornerstone of the paradigm of capitalism.  What do you do?   :-\

And I admit, if I win the lottery tomorrow, the bulk of my winnings, I'm sure,  will stay with me and my wife and we will buy a new house, new car, go on fancy vacations etc. and live the dream life.  We are all caught up in this thing called capitalism which has great upsides for individual rights.

I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. If you win the lottery I'm certain you would pony up and pay some bills for those in your world past and present who need help. The NFL and the owners who agree to pay these ridiculous salaries to athletes today are simultaneously choosing to NOT pay up where they had a hand in past financial and medical hardships while making tons of profit from the game and it's players. That's what I'm getting at.

Aerial

Iconic, but that is what capitalism is, it's about spending the money you have the way you want it despite what is for the good of society at large etc.  That's NOT the point about capitalism.  The NFL owners in a capitalistic society have no moral right whatsoever to spend their money on players from the past they didn't employ.  At all.  It's their money, it's an individual's right to spend or save or put the money up your arse for that matter in a capitalistic society.  It's about the individual.  The league, for appearance sakes though when they can pay the commish what he gets, that's perhaps a slightly different matter.  Perhaps.

Iconic SR

Iconic, but that is what capitalism is, it's about spending the money you have the way you want it despite what is for the good of society at large etc.  That's NOT the point about capitalism.  The NFL owners in a capitalistic society have no moral right whatsoever to spend their money on players from the past they didn't employ.  At all.
I think you’re referring to communism (from a management perspective)
Capitalism is supply and demand = market value.

No way, no how is Garapolo worth that in any marketplace. And the NFL isn’t a marketplace. It’s an oligarchy.

Aerial

What is "worth"?  Of course in a more equitable society, which isn't Western society, he isn't worth that but in this screwed up place we live in, some billionaire has the right to put in their will that a centipede will get all their money and guess what, they is the way it will work, like it or lump it.  

Capitalism is about the individual and their rights.

The NFL  is simply a business.  Operating under capitalism.

Iconic SR

What is "worth"?  Of course in a more equitable society, which isn't Western society, he isn't worth that but in this screwed up place we live in, some billionaire has the right to put in their will that a centipede will get all their money and guess what, they is the way it will work, like it or lump it.  

I disagree. Capitalism is about getting whatever you can in an arena called business.

If individuals and their rights were primary - contracts like Garapolos wouldn’t occur, because the ethics of the relationship within the contracts would support the individual and also support their rights (along with others rights). Let’s remember those players who have CTE and no healthcare plan or no pension also played in the NFL under the same capitalist framework.

Iconic SR

I disagree. Capitalism is about getting whatever you can in an arena called business. It’s not necessarily a bad thing.

If individuals and their rights were primary - contracts like Garapolos wouldn’t occur, because the ethics of the relationship within the contracts would support the individual and also support their rights (along with others rights). Let’s remember those players who have CTE and no healthcare plan or no pension also played in the NFL under the same (supposedly capitalist) framework. It really never was.

Aerial

I don't know but this does make sense to me how I view capitalism in a very strict sense which seems to but heads a bit with a collective type of mentality:

The best definition of capitalism is given by philosopher Ayn Rand:
“Capitalism is a social system based on the recognition of individual rights, including property rights, in which all property is privately owned.

http://capitalism.org/capitalism/what-is-capitalism/

FootbalYouBet

sure am looking forward to next season
The worst thing about being on the west coast is that when I want to post at night, everyone else is asleep or passed out

oo DAWG oo

I don't know but this does make sense to me how I view capitalism in a very strict sense which seems to but heads a bit with a collective type of mentality:

The best definition of capitalism is given by philosopher Ayn Rand:
“Capitalism is a social system based on the recognition of individual rights, including property rights, in which all property is privately owned.

http://capitalism.org/capitalism/what-is-capitalism/
Capitalism just means trade and business is controlled by the private sector and not the government.
Don't over think it

sambo42

Its crazy money, but its  huge part of the 4 major sports leagues, you can't talk about a trade with attaching a players' salary to the conversation ... remember when Jose Canseco got his $23 million contract from the Oakland's A's? Many thought that was insane, but it was just beginning of the floodgates being opened... I wonder what that contract would be worth in today's dollars. I wonder if Garoppolo will live up to the expectations. I highly doubt it.

Aerial

Capitalism just means trade and business is controlled by the private sector and not the government.
Don't over think it
Well said dawg for sure.

Users Online

80 Guests, 6 Users (11 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, Lyle B. Style, rusjod, Davaidengi, J5V, Google (11)

Most Online Today: 139. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)