KevinRiley2

Kevin, be nice, let the footies have their space and vent.  Inclusion my friend. We only want the best for their health and well being as nice Canadians as we are.  And I don't want to pay for the psych sessions at the expense of our OHIP costs here, ok?  ;)
Why not?  WE paid for THEIR stadium. ;)

Public money so the TFC can have a field all to themselves?  That's rich.  Well, "rich" after they stick their hands in taxpayer's pockets.
Hmm. Seems to me it was the owners of TFC who have paid for the bulk of BMO Field when you take into account both the expansion costs and original build costs. MLSE has paid over $100 million of those overall construction costs. The city makes a tidy sum each year largely due to the footy fans concession sales slice that goes from MLSE to the city - since it is the soccer team that has attracted the overwhelming majority of fans who have passed through the gates and even this season will account for over 75% of the fans attending games at BMO.

The Argos contribution to the construction of BMO Field. Only about $10 million.
I'm amazed that people so easily forget that 2/3rds of MLSE own the Argos. So no the 'Argos' paid allot more than 10 million towards the renovation. Though in reality neither team actually paid for it.

Renovations from that stadium that only came online in the first place due to Canada sucessful bid for the 2007 U20 World Cup. Funded by tax payers.
God bless MG.  Always the voice of reason/common sense.  Well said, my man!
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Aerial

Pat, were you involved in putting that No Argos at BMO sign over the road?  Come on tell, please tell us the truth.   ;)  

I'm amazed that people so easily forget that 2/3rds of MLSE own the Argos. So no the 'Argos' paid allot more than 10 million towards the renovation. Though in reality neither team actually paid for it.

Renovations from that stadium that only came online in the first place due to Canada sucessful bid for the 2007 U20 World Cup. Funded by tax payers.
Well said Mighty!  
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

KevinRiley2

Pat, were you involved in putting that No Argos at BMO sign over the road?  Come on tell, please tell us the truth.   ;)  

Well said Mighty!  
Re : "Pat, were you involved in putting that No Argos at BMO sign over the road?  Come on tell, please tell us the truth.   ;) "

My laugh for the day.  :)

Aerial

And I'm always chuckling at how Pat "loves the CFL" but yet wants to put a hate-on with his slant on why the Argos shouldn't be playing at a publically owned city stadium which BMO is.  It blows my my mind how Pat, seemingly an intelligent dude,  can't seem to get his mindset around this actually quite simple issue.  I'm confused to tell you the truth, not about the Argos playing at BMO, that is simple and quite clear, but exactly why Pat feels they have no right to play there, if I'm reading him correctly here.  Weird.

Maybe I'm missing something?  No idea, not a clue.

btharner

I really thought this non-issue would have blown over by now but, obviously, there is still a hard-core element within the TFC fandom that just will not let it go.  Many MLS stadia with grass fields are used for various types of football ranging from the Chargers playing at StubHub Center to high school games played in Dallas. You also have the Yankees and NYCFC sharing a venue. The respective fans (I guess the Chargers have fans) in these places do not seem to mind in the slightest. BMO is a great stadium (although the only time I was actually there was for the rugby finals at the Pan Am Games), and it should be utilized as much as possible and should be a source of pride for those who follow both teams. 

FootbalYouBet

maybe it is not MLS doing are the complaining and putting up signs.   Maybe it is people from Rogers or others who want NFL.  They might be using MLS as an excuse to be anti CFL
Live well and please God

FYB has left the building

KevinRiley2

And I'm always chuckling at how Pat "loves the CFL" but yet wants to put a hate-on with his slant on why the Argos shouldn't be playing at a publically owned city stadium which BMO is.  It blows my my mind how Pat, seemingly an intelligent dude,  can't seem to get his mindset around this actually quite simple issue.  I'm confused to tell you the truth, not about the Argos playing at BMO, that is simple and quite clear, but exactly why Pat feels they have no right to play there, if I'm reading him correctly here.  Weird.

Maybe I'm missing something?  No idea, not a clue.
Patrick is a nice guy but he likes to argue.  Tell him the sky is blue and he will argue it is off-blue.

Aerial

True enough Kevin.

TravelPat1

I love how easily you guys can seemingly rewrite history and then actually believe your own blinkered revisionist version.  Included in that revisionism claiming I've ever said the Argos don't deserve to play at BMO. That false claim is TOTAL fiction. 

MLSE budgetted for the BMO expansion for their soccer team and to host a few outdoor hockey games and international soccer games - and it was the city of Toronto who insisted that their $10 million contribution was contingent on accommodation for the Argos within those expansion plans. All this BEFORE Braley sold the Argos - who at the time was still claiming he had 3 offers for building a stadium exclusively for the Argos. . 

And that was a major sticking point for months between MLSE and the City surrounding the approval of the BMO expansion.  Plus let's face it - with the need for 17 yard end zones in the end - the Argos and accommodating a full CFL sized field were clearly never exactly that high a priority on those expansion plans from MLSE's perspective. 

So yes MLS soccer (not the CFL or Argos) is by far the main reason BMO is the stadium it is now. 

Heck even here in Hamilton hosting Pan Am Games soccer is about the only reason we have THF.  So as a CFL fan in Southern Ontario - thank goodness for soccer!  

Back to MLS - good result for TFC tonight - going home on even terms with Columbus considering they were without Altidore and Giovinco tonight. A win at home next Wednesday night sees Toronto hosting MLS Cup for the second year in a row.  

Aerial

Toronto Argonauts co-owner Howard Sokolowski insists the notion that BMO Field was intended to be a soccer-specific stadium is incorrect. And there appears to be evidence to back him up. Toronto city council minutes from the fall of 2005, at which $9.8-million of city money was committed to the complex, note that the stadium proposed for the exhibition grounds was to be "capable of a conversion to a football format."

It could also be argued that a stadium that requires construction to move stands to accommodate football does not necessarily meet the definition of "capable of conversion to a football format." But a spokesman for the Toronto mayor says it does.

"What we have is a $70-million public asset that is in the shape of a stadium," Stuart Green said. "The primary occupant is the game of soccer, and what council said [in 2005]is there has to be some compatibility option [for football]there.

"It has to be an option because that was built into the approval council gave. How that happens has to be worked out."
Source: BMO built with football in mind - https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/bmo-built-with-football-in-mind/article4222875/

TravelPat1

And that article backs up my point  article Earl. MLSE were  not the ones interested in having BMO having the ability to accommodate the Argos. The city was. 

And MLSE's original expansion plans - for which they were willing to pony up close to $100 million - those plans did NOT have accommodation for the Argos originally. Those plans were ALL ABOUT expansion for soccer and a couple of outdoor hockey games.

Mightygoose

I love how easily you guys can seemingly rewrite history and then actually believe your own blinkered revisionist version.  Included in that revisionism claiming I've ever said the Argos don't deserve to play at BMO. That false claim is TOTAL fiction.

MLSE budgetted for the BMO expansion for their soccer team and to host a few outdoor hockey games and international soccer games - and it was the city of Toronto who insisted that their $10 million contribution was contingent on accommodation for the Argos within those expansion plans. All this BEFORE Braley sold the Argos - who at the time was still claiming he had 3 offers for building a stadium exclusively for the Argos. .

And that was a major sticking point for months between MLSE and the City surrounding the approval of the BMO expansion.  Plus let's face it - with the need for 17 yard end zones in the end - the Argos and accommodating a full CFL sized field were clearly never exactly that high a priority on those expansion plans from MLSE's perspective.

So yes MLS soccer (not the CFL or Argos) is by far the main reason BMO is the stadium it is now.

Heck even here in Hamilton hosting Pan Am Games soccer is about the only reason we have THF.  So as a CFL fan in Southern Ontario - thank goodness for soccer!  

Back to MLS - good result for TFC tonight - going home on even terms with Columbus considering they were without Altidore and Giovinco tonight. A win at home next Wednesday night sees Toronto hosting MLS Cup for the second year in a row.  
Sorry, that's a bit of a revisionist view too.

Yes, the 10 million was needed to upgrade it for Canadian football, it still doesn't change that 2 parts of MLSE had plans to buy the Argos so any other parts of the renovation  (new field, ammenities, reconfigured seating) was going to be used for the Argos as well.

With the renovation contingent of a city loan and an extension of MLSE's management rights, the renovation was just as much for the Argos as well as TFC.

The 17 yard endzones are due to a lack of space to fit them in, if the room was there it would have been the full 20. This was due to the original construction of BMO, not much with the renovation.

Edit: Yes the article did talk about the original plans. I'm referring to the one that actually happened once Bell and Tannenbaum started talks on buying the Argos

KevinRiley2

And that article backs up my point  article Earl. MLSE were  not the ones interested in having BMO having the ability to accommodate the Argos. The city was.

And MLSE's original expansion plans - for which they were willing to pony up close to $100 million - those plans did NOT have accommodation for the Argos originally. Those plans were ALL ABOUT expansion for soccer and a couple of outdoor hockey games.
BCE always knew, in the back of their minds, they might have to one day buy the Argos and, if they did, they wanted them out of the Rogers Center and into BMO so, at least part of MLSE (BCE and L.T.) had BMO in mind for football.

I agree, the Argos going to BMO was NEVER a priority for Rogers. 

KevinRiley2

I love how easily you guys can seemingly rewrite history and then actually believe your own blinkered revisionist version.  Included in that revisionism claiming I've ever said the Argos don't deserve to play at BMO. That false claim is TOTAL fiction.

And that was a major sticking point for months between MLSE and the City surrounding the approval of the BMO expansion.  Plus let's face it - with the need for 17 yard end zones in the end - the Argos and accommodating a full CFL sized field were clearly never exactly that high a priority on those expansion plans from MLSE's perspective.

Heck even here in Hamilton hosting Pan Am Games soccer is about the only reason we have THF.  So as a CFL fan in Southern Ontario - thank goodness for soccer!  

Sorry, that's a bit of a revisionist view too.

Yes, the 10 million was needed to upgrade it for Canadian football, it still doesn't change that 2 parts of MLSE had plans to buy the Argos so any other parts of the renovation  (new field, ammenities, reconfigured seating) was going to be used for the Argos as well.

With the renovation contingent of a city loan and an extension of MLSE's management rights, the renovation was just as much for the Argos as well as TFC.

The 17 yard endzones are due to a lack of space to fit them in, if the room was there it would have been the full 20. This was due to the original construction of BMO, not much with the renovation.
Exactly. 

KevinRiley2

Patrick seems to believe owning the Argos never entered Tannen-Bell's head prior to Braley threatening to walk away.  That's silly.

First, had L.T. gotten the NFL team he wanted, he would have bought and moved the Argos to BMO in a blink - I'm assuming the NFL would have insisted on the survival of the Argos as a condition of a team in Toronto.

Second, George Cope and the people at BCE are not stupid.  They always knew they would eventually own the Argos - once Toronto had run out of people willing to buy the team.  They also knew how awful the Rogers Center is for football, and believed BMO would revitalize the football team.  So, to say they did not have BMO in mind for the Argos, assumes management at BCE are short sighted and stupid.  They are not.

I agree Rogers never gave the Argos at BMO a 1st thought, let alone a 2nd.  If they had the power, and were not worried about the optics, they would have happily let the Argos go homeless.

Users Online

110 Guests, 21 Users (16 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Iconic SR, Count Floyd, Mightygoose, thirdnlong, ed ohmnes, alphamale111, Lucas Bellemare, Sidney, FootbalYouBet, Lennywasout, schmenger, joe, drummer_god, letsgoticats, TravelPat1, Hamilton2005, VICIOUSCIRCLE, Dr.Whiskey, RedandWhite, Yahoo!, Google (15)

Most Online Today: 161. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)