Mirage

Whitecaps aren't popular in BC. They really aren't even popular in Toronto.

Majority of attendees get free tickets and I know from my work the local tv ratings for MLS in Toronto and Vancouver are atrocious.

Whitecaps get zero media coverage in Vancouver. ZERO. I was there for 12 days and not 1 mention on any sports radio. The newspapers and news treat them like they are a CIS team..

Mirage

I visit Toronto often and have gotten free TFC tickets. I have gone to 2 games and though i'm not a soccer fan I could have cared less about the outcome or recall who they even played. But aside from fans in the endzone other fans did not seem interested.Look at the crowd for this afternoon game and there were many empty seats and TFC papers their stadium with amateur soccer teams and from my understanding gives free tickets to clients at BMO in the entire GTA.

From 2015-16 both the Marlies and Rock have a larger local tv audience. And also get greater coverage. Games are hardly mentioned in newspaper and on local news. Radio coverage is extremely low if any. Even during their championship final round TFC got very little attention with little to no interest.

If they won. I'm not sure they would have made the top story.

Last year TFC in the playoffs did not even make the top sports story.

I believe many of diehard soccer fans in Canada who do live in GTA are the ones supporting them where many of them have no interest in other sports that really lack the same fandom like other sports fans.

Part of the Argos problem is that fans do not attend games but they are there and lots of them.

Mirage

How many go to a NHL game in GTA more than 2-3 times a season? hockey is a religion in Canada but we have different habits watching the popular sports and is why attendance #s in the year 2017 is irrelevant to ones popularity and growth.

Quote from: "Mirage"
Whitecaps aren't popular in BC. They really aren't even popular in Toronto.

Majority of attendees get free tickets and I know from my work the local tv ratings for MLS in Toronto and Vancouver are atrocious.

Whitecaps get zero media coverage in Vancouver. ZERO. I was there for 12 days and not 1 mention on any sports radio. The newspapers and news treat them like they are a CIS team..

soccer is not a popular sport in Canada. I'm afraid many youths who play soccer are forced as parents have no money for hockey. Football is not popular at the younger level due to the more practice less game experience.

Football is really a HS and up experience and is why many young kids become fans when they turn 16-18 or even many 22 and up.

Same thing in the USA.

Soccer popularity is mute due to the lack of growth in Canada. You can not compare being a fan of soccer to hockey/football/baseball as there is no history in soccer with canadians. Your viewing and fan habits aren't the same. Soccer is like the circus coming to town. You go once or twice and are satisfied for a year. How many go to a NHL game in GTA more than 2-3 times a season? hockey is a religion in Canada but we have different habits watching the popular sports and is why attendance #s in the year 2017 is irrelevant to ones popularity and growth.

TravelPat1

I see my favourite fiction writer is back with a new handle. Mirage is probably a good name because what he posts is rarely real.

The Argos will be thrilled if the crowd actually in the stadium Monday is anywhere near the numbers actually at the TFC game last night.

And that is with the blanket advertising the Argos have been doing plus the 10,000 Flutie Bobblehead giveaway promotion and $10 tickets.  

TFC 'games hardly mentioned in the newspaper'?  Oh really?  Here the cover (Page S1) of today's Sunday Sun sports section and turn the page and TFC's game report is on Page S2 - before the fading Jays even who were on page S4. Argos were on S12 - after MLB, Woodbine racing and NBA coverage but ahead of NFL, British Open and other sports coverage.  

AuburnWild

Quote from: "rcon"
BMO field looks a little over half full. I guess it's another TFC "sell-out". :roll:
:roll:

Here's video of the game in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEKhUoYf-4o

Insecurity is awful. It's okay if people like other sports.

rcon

Quote from: "AuburnWild"
BMO field looks a little over half full. I guess it's another TFC "sell-out". :roll:

Here's video of the game in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEKhUoYf-4o

Sorry if I trashed your precious M(inor)LS. I guess it is only ok to trash the CFL!!! :roll:

Mightygoose

MLS rejects a 4 billion/10 year media rights deal

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jour ... s/MLS.aspx

The catch is, it would a required the league to adopt a promotion/relegation model, same as any other soccer league worldwide and something the CPL has a goal of doing should it get to that point.

I know MLS is trying to sell expansion teams at 150 million and eventually up to 200 million. But still, this would increase the rights fees 4 fold and is more sustainable once the expansion fees are all cashed in.

With soccer still growing leaps and bounds in North America, MLS is young by major league standards. If there, is ever to be a rival league to rise and challenge them a la AFL, WHA, ABA etc....this can provide the fuel for any interested.

AuburnWild

Quote from: "AuburnWild"

Sorry if I trashed your precious M(inor)LS. I guess it is only ok to trash the CFL!!! :roll:
You can trash whatever you want, but you'll look like a fool in the process if you keep using alternative facts.

Mirage

Quote from: "TravelPat1"
I see my favourite fiction writer is back with a new handle. Mirage is probably a good name because what he posts is rarely real.

The Argos will be thrilled if the crowd actually in the stadium Monday is anywhere near the numbers actually at the TFC game last night.

And that is with the blanket advertising the Argos have been doing plus the 10,000 Flutie Bobblehead giveaway promotion and $10 tickets.  

TFC 'games hardly mentioned in the newspaper'?  Oh really?  Here the cover (Page S1) of today's Sunday Sun sports section and turn the page and TFC's game report is on Page S2 - before the fading Jays even who were on page S4. Argos were on S12 - after MLB, Woodbine racing and NBA coverage but ahead of NFL, British Open and other sports coverage.  

Vancouver soccer and TFC soccer are rarely mentioned in any newspaper or sportscast in their cities.  The Toronto Argos played a game last night and as I was watching 2 local sportscasts last night they were lead-in on 1 and top story in sports.

Go to www.torontosun/sports this very time at 11:34 its all Blue Jays and Argonauts. Go to the 2 sports radio sites and 40 minutes of Argos started 2 morning programs.

Clearly you are not well liked on this forum as you could be a possible troll (which I will hold back for the time being) but if you are going to accuse me of something from what someone may or not have done to you in the past.

Then I have no time for you and you will be ignored.

I came here to discuss the CFL television ratings as it is the area of employment I am and I work in the network division to where a new calculated rating system will be (and has been accepted by PREMIERE X CORPORATIONS in Canada)

Apology accepted.

Mirage

Quote from: "TravelPat1"

Vancouver soccer and TFC soccer are rarely mentioned in any newspaper or sportscast in their cities.  The Toronto Argos played a game last night and as I was watching 2 local sportscasts last night they were lead-in on 1 and top story in sports.

Go to http://www.torontosun/sports this very time at 11:34 its all Blue Jays and Argonauts. Go to the 2 sports radio sites and 40 minutes of Argos started 2 morning programs.

Clearly you are not well liked on this forum as you could be a possible troll (which I will hold back for the time being) but if you are going to accuse me of something from what someone may or not have done to you in the past.

Then I have no time for you and you will be ignored.

I came here to discuss the CFL television ratings as it is the area of employment I am and I work in the network division to where a new calculated rating system will be (and has been accepted by PREMIERE X CORPORATIONS in Canada)

Apology accepted.

Not to be picky but I read that paper on Sunday and dont you think that is a clue that nobody is reading the sports paper on a sunday then? When soccer is ahead of Jays and Maple Leafs and Argonauts and anything else important. Then where it is on the paper doesn't really mean anything?

FYI. Toronto Sun printed out Argonauts on their front page on the night of TFC played a big playoff game last season and the Argos weren't even playing.

So what does that mean?

Nothing...... Look at who writes for each sport. The paper has more CFL correspondents than soccer and its not even close. MLB and NBA will have more cause they share travel. And NHL is obvious but they share with other Sun writers across the region.

Mirage

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050

I'm furious that there is no mentioning of anything MLS or TFC. Why?

TravelPat1

Toronto FC does have a smaller overall fan base than the other Toronto teams -  but they certainly have more fans willing to shell out money to support their team than the Argos do.  

Next Sunday - for their game agains NYCFC - you will likely see an almost full BMO Field - even though at the same time the Jays will have close to 40,000 down the road and about 30,000 more sports fans will be at Glen Abbey for golf a few miles away in Oakville.

If Argos were home Sunday - they would be lucky to draw 15,000 fans - the size of their crowd last night.  And Argos fans would be blaming the poor turnout on summer weekends when people are away, Jays on at the same time, the Canadian Open drawing fans away etc. TFC fans don't make excuses - they just show up to support their team.

At some point some MLS TFC haters will have to give TFC fans their due.   Argos would kill for as loyal a fan base who actually show up to support their team - the way Ti-Cats fans do just down the road here in Hamilton.

Mirage

Pat,

I am a huge soccer fan so I know all about the loyalties of soccer in our country. I played soccer in HS. I played Hockey in HS. I played collegiate hockey in the U.S.A.  I played Football in HS but was forced to quit due to scheduling. I have participated in basketball, baseball, tee ball, swimming, bowling.

I am a fan of all sports. I also know and understand the sports culture in both my hometown and country.

I work daily with large corporations and network advisors. I listen to everyone. I understand their goals and what they are trying to accomplish from a business standpoint.

I have spent years working with Radio stations in Canada. I was a manager at a Toronto radio station in 2005. Then in Edmonton shortly after. I worked for Sports Illustrated. I interned at TSN and ESPN. I participate in seminars for Sports Broadcasting. My passion is sports broadcasting. My brother was a producer at CBC Sports and still works for them during the Olympics and at times for Sportsnet during the busy season.

One thing I know about opinions and views, is we take too much into what one person says or from one event. It is the old saying of one seen picture can change ones thought process. Just because you see one thing, it does not present the underlining explanation. That part (explanation) needs to be examined with a long thought-out process. Which takes time that most people do not care to explore. They just come to a conclusion and run with it.

This is a major problem in Broadcasting and Advertising/Promotions in our society. And we are slowly making strides improving the situation.

Blaming millenials for everyday's problems gets tiring when the blame is put on the educators teaching these practices.

This has been the CFL's problem is they think just using spot advertising is going to change the minds of people because they see a CFL logo. They have invested money on things that bring nothing to the table for growth and popularity. They need to invest what has been their #1 source of identity and that is the on-field product. The CFL does not need a marketing team, more social media, more online content(nobody reads it anyways), or better statistic keeping.

They need product investing and better broadcasting.

THAT IS ALL.

The popularity of the CFL is extremely high. They just need to work on these two components of operating a successful professional league. (Product and Broadcasting)

What you and many others are forgetting when we talk about popularity of a sport it is nonsense to come to a conclusion based on attendance or merchandise sales or polls.

You can always tell the popularity or VALUE of a sporting team in your community based on various outlines such as corporate expenditures, grassroots, government expenditures, and media sourcing (which is the most valid argument one can make)

Soccer is not a popular sport in Canada. This does not mean Soccer is hated by every Canadian or should not be appreciated by other sporting fans.

But when you live i a country that has the NHL and CFL who dominate coast to coast. Soccer overall will be viewed at the level of any Olympic amateur sport (which is proven weekly all year)

And this does not deserve blame or force hatred. There is nothing wrong with this level of enthusiasm by sporting fans. I used to take up rowing when I lived in Kenora and watch speed skating all the time on television. So yes. I am part of the 90k viewers in the winter who watch on CBC.

This does mean anything other than a shown interest by a Canadian.

If you are a speed skater who lives in Montreal, QC in a city who has 2 major professional sporting teams and a big speed skating championship event is being held in your city. Do you not think all the speed skating fans will attend this event who are from a respectable driving distance from Montreal?

Of course.

Soccer has an extremely sparse following in both Canada and USA so when an event that holds significant importance in Toronto you better believe soccer fans in the GTA will show up.

And there is no jealousy needed between soccer fans to hockey fans or football fans. TFC supporters enjoy pretending they are europeans watching Premier League soccer and conduct themselves as such. If BMO field is full for any game. Majority of BMOfield spectators are falling asleep watching or could care less about the outcome. But the strong supporters in the endzone seating are. So of 30k fans that may go to a TFC game, only 3,000-4,000 fans are really high crazed supporters.

The World Cup of Soccer will always bring in great television ratings due to 2 reasons.

1. Olympic hangover. millions around the world who have no interest in soccer (i know hundreds) enjoy watching country's compete for championships. And then about 3 weeks into it, their interest tails off because it is boring to them. AND IT IS BORING coming from a soccer fan.

2. Ethnic pride. Majority of Canada has european background. Germany, England, Russia, Poland, Ukraine, France,etc. They all play soccer and if a fan or not. You will watch. Makes complete sense.

And again. Everything does make complete sense.

AuburnWild

FYI. Toronto Sun printed out Argonauts on their front page on the night of TFC played a big playoff game last season and the Argos weren't even playing.

So what does that mean?
It means you're lying, like always.

Just once, provide proof of your claims (like Pat did above) or STFU.

Mirage

Like always?

Pat hasn't provided any proof. He was proven wrong once again. Toronto Sun and all of Toronto's networks do not give TFC any coverage what so ever.

What is on the front page of the Toronto Sun Sports today? hmmmmm  i suppose you didn't pick one up then huh?

Users Online

110 Guests, 16 Users (11 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
RichardVeilleux, Stampeder67, bobo82, EastVanMark, everyman, Bayargonaut00, Count Floyd, dcmoses, themuck, mycko75, SteelCitySteve, Sidney, Taleback, Yahoo!, Google (10)

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)