TravelPat1

Another impressive 4 - 0 win for TFC last night in Los Angeles. 

Checking the standings this morning Vancouver is in first place in the west.  Toronto on record pace in the east as they seem poised to win the Supporters Shield as best regular season team. Does that make them favourites to meet in the MLS Cup?

Wouldn't ESPN hate that. 

Aerial

All that matters Pat is how the new Atlanta stadium looks for the NFL, which is what it was built for.  The MLS, who the F cares.  8)  It's soccer.  8)  Ok, just kidding, while I'm not a big footie fan the stadium looks great for football, soccer or even Evangelical conferences.  :)
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

TravelPat1

Hey Earl. Actually the plan for Mercedes Benz stadium for soccer games is similar to what they do at BC Place stadium where the top deck is normally curtained off - so capacity will normally be about 45,000 for soccer.  And two earlier crowds for Atlanta FC at that new stadium did draw in the 45,000 range.

But for the Orlando game Saturday  - who they expect to be a big rival for Atlanta FC - they decided to sell the entire stadium because of the expected demand. 

Meanwhile in the second division USL - Cincinnati team bolstered their case for an MLS expansion franchise by drawing a USL record crowd of over 30,000 to their USL league game Saturday night too. They are averaging over 22,000 per game this season in the USL. 

Aerial

That's great for soccer, while I don't care for the sport from a spectator viewpoint, I realize the sport has a lot of fans who "get it" for entertainment.  I don't but that's my issue, not theirs.

TravelPat1

Supporters' Shield Winners.  First time ever for TFC as the team with the best regular season record.  That is normally the most sought after title in soccer leagues worldwide. 

But here in North America - we place a higher value on the winner of post season playoffs. So there is still work to be done for TFC. 

Here the highlights from Saturday night's game that clinched the title in front of another great crowd at BMO of 28,979.  

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/09/30/match-highlights-new-york-red-bulls-toronto-fc-september-30-2017?autoplay=true

Mightygoose

An off field story in the midst of the expansion process

The Columbus Crew, an original team is angling at moving to Austin'  Texas for the 2019 season. Like any other major league, the move is due to stadium issues.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/10/16/columbus-crew-austin-texas-anthony-precourt-stadium

Mapre stadium, the first Soccer Specific Stadium opened in 1999 is considered obselete and ownership is effectively playing one city off the other.

If this move happens, does this kill San Antonio's expansion bid?

Aerial

That's the way all pro sports works though when there are alternative cities offering up goodies for you to relocate your team.  

The Last Word

Toronto FC breaks the record for most points in a season.  Congrats!

What a season!  TFC plays in front of capacity or near capacity crowds and they also win the shield.  The season is already a great success!

Aerial

All the best to them to win the championship of MLS, they are playing well for sure.

TravelPat1

Bit of a blow to play-off attendance for the next round for the MLS tonight with Atlanta being eliminated by Columbus.  They had over 67,000 at Mercedes Benz Stadium tonight - an MLS play-off record crowd. That coming just a few days after they had drawn a regular season record crowd of 71,874 in their final regular season game last weekend against Toronto FC in Atlanta. 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/10/26/atlanta-united-set-mls-postseason-attendance-record

ArgoT

Bit of a blow to play-off attendance for the next round for the MLS tonight with Atlanta being eliminated by Columbus.  They had over 67,000 at Mercedes Benz Stadium tonight - an MLS play-off record crowd. That coming just a few days after they had drawn a regular season record crowd of 71,874 in their final regular season game last weekend against Toronto FC in Atlanta.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/10/26/atlanta-united-set-mls-postseason-attendance-record
Who cares about this ponzy scheme league?

TravelPat1

Apparently a fair number of soccer fans in Vancouver and Toronto care ArgoT.  The Whitecaps even opened up more seats for sale than their usual configuration at BC Place Stadium for their playoff game the other day to draw 27,837. 

Toronto FC's game this Sunday is already sold out with only a couple of hundred resale seats available on Ticketmaster - all priced well over $100 per ticket with many over $200. 

Last night the magician Might Mouse Giovinco did it again on a free kick scoring the winning goal. This guy has been incredible of late on free kicks anywhere near the goal. 

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/10/30/sebastian-giovinco-goal-october-30-2017?utm_source=social_share&utm_medium=share_button&utm_campaign=social_share_button

ArgoT

Apparently a fair number of soccer fans in Vancouver and Toronto care ArgoT.  The Whitecaps even opened up more seats for sale than their usual configuration at BC Place Stadium for their playoff game the other day to draw 27,837.

Toronto FC's game this Sunday is already sold out with only a couple of hundred resale seats available on Ticketmaster - all priced well over $100 per ticket with many over $200.

Last night the magician Might Mouse Giovinco did it again on a free kick scoring the winning goal. This guy has been incredible of late on free kicks anywhere near the goal.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/10/30/sebastian-giovinco-goal-october-30-2017?utm_source=social_share&utm_medium=share_button&utm_campaign=social_share_button
There is no account for good taste.
Having said that, I do watch European soccer to include Euro Cup and World Cup.
In fact this summer, went to a WC qualifier in Croatia.
Having said that, the MLS is about 5-6 tier below that and frankly is not watchable.
TV numbers as you know are well below infomercial.
No one watches this crap, it is a purely niche sport with only people who attend games that are their fans.

Aerial

I don't watch soccer except for highlights stuff, not really my thing,  but I'm glad for soccer fans in this country they have a decent league to follow and watch even if there are only 3 teams in the league.  Hopefully the CPL can be successful for more soccer fans in more cities.

Mightygoose

Back to the off field part of the season and the expansion process.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/detroit-mls-bid-now-proposing-ford-field-teams-home/

The Ford Family as joined with Gores and Gilbert on the effort to bring MLS to Detroit. The new item is they now propose to use Ford Field, home of the Ford Family owned Lions and the previous Soccer Specific stadium plan is now scrapped.

The league doesn't seem thrilled but if they really want this market - the 13th biggest TV territory and second biggest of the expansion candidates. How flexible is their thinking? They made an exception of NYCFC and Atlanta granted Blank is a full owner.

Nashville city council is set to vote on November 7 on a stadium deal. If this happens and stadium is the #1 criteria for the league, I would put Nashville and Sacramento as the 2 front runners right now.

Users Online

55 Guests, 2 Users (4 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
MadJack, Lyle B. Style, Google (4)

Most Online Today: 104. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)