KevinRiley2

Quote from: "TravelPat1"
My pictures are shots with my phone off my TV screen where I took shots from one of the few times where almost the entire east or west side were shown all at once because that seemed to be the most logical way to make my point.

Even though a bit fuzzy they are abundantly clear enough to show that WAY more than half the seats were occupied.

I do have the game PVR'd so I can post A TON of section by section pictures showing WAY MORE than half the seats in each section occupied in every single east and south section that the cameras hit during the game if you insist Kevin. Here a sample for you - and I'm intentionally picking shots that do not include the south end where there were ZERO empty seats in the supporters sections.

As for the World Cup the federal government has made it abundantly clear it will only contribute to pro sports facilities for major intenrational sports events- as they did with the initial building of BMO Field for the Under 20 World Cup and the contributions they made to facilities for te Pan Am games including Tim Hortons Field.

A few top level World Cup games in Canada would generate hundreds of millions in tourism impact for the two ot three Canadian cities that might be used in a 3 country bid. Calgary may be able to use that to help fund a new soccer/CFL stadium - and because soccer stadiums basically have the same dimensions as an NFL stadium - you have to know there are big moneyed people in TO who would latch on to that kind of opportunity. :
I'm sure you picked the pictures that support your argument.  However, I saw the game and it looked half empty.  

As for your argument to build a $1B+ (likely $2B CDN by 2025) stadium for a few soccer games that you feel will bring in $100M's in tourism dollars, I think you are being naïve and it makes me question your priorities and knowledge of finance.   That money would/could/should go towards hospitals and meds.

Anyway, feel free to hope.  However, I don't believe an 80,000 NFL-esque stadium has a chance in heck in today's Canadian economic world.

It would be too expensive for the private sector and too poisonous for the public sector.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

TravelPat1

The Whitecaps white uniforms had them disappearing from view almost in the snow storm they plyed in tonight in Salt Lake City.  

KevinRiley2

I can see the Federal election (in 2024) now...

IF a Federal party did agree to build a stadium (not going to happen) to host a few soccer games, the 2 opposing parties would be saying, "Our first day in office we will kill this deal and put this money towards health care".  Guess who would win?  Not the party that agreed to spend Billions on a stadium.

KevinRiley2

TFC lost.  No wins in 2017.  That's a shame.   :lol:

Argofan_1000

Quote from: "KevinRiley2"

I hope this team doesn't wreck the turf.

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "Argofan_1000"

I hope this team doesn't wreck the turf.
Agree.  That's OUR house!

TravelPat1

Sorry Kevin but they do atually have one win - along with the one loss (last night) - with 4 ties through 6 games.

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "TravelPat1"

Sorry Kevin but they do atually have one win - along with the one loss (last night) - with 4 ties through 6 games.
Thanks for the unfortunate correction.

Argofan_1000

I don't believe the Forbes report on TFC for 2016 . Says their total revenue was $50.54 million CDN.
Gate at 25,550 X 17 home games @ $45 = 19.5 million CDN. US TV money from the 90 million US contract = 5 million CDN. $? million from TSN?

what is left is $26 million CDN from other revenue streams. This is more than the gate and TV revenues combined. Anyone know how they did this?

Also Forbes says TFC lost 13 million CDN just as a side note.

KevinRiley2

I don't believe the Forbes report on TFC for 2016 . Says their total revenue was $50.54 million CDN.
Gate at 25,550 X 17 home games @ $45 = 19.5 million CDN. US TV money from the 90 million US contract = 5 million CDN. $? million from TSN?

what is left is $26 million CDN from other revenue streams. This is more than the gate and TV revenues combined. Anyone know how they did this?

I'm just happy they lost $13M CDN.

Mightygoose

Their gate would have been higher as there was 4 playoff games to factor in though the championship is considered an MLS event. Suite sales, concessions and sponsorship will bump up the revenue too.

Plus their share of 2 expansion cheques. More on the way in the coming years then it dries up.

Argofan_1000

Quote from: "Mightygoose"

Their gate would have been higher as there was 4 playoff games to factor in though the championship is considered an MLS event. Suite sales, concessions and sponsorship will bump up the revenue too.

Plus their share of 2 expansion cheques. More on the way in the coming years then it dries up.

If no playoffs and expansion checks dry up, what's their plan? These teams will loose $25 or 30M? $266M CDN for an expansion franchise, No one in Canada will pay this, who in the states will pay and how will they rationalize their decision? Their whole business plan is based on selling franchises?

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "Mightygoose"

If no playoffs and expansion checks dry up, what's their plan? These teams will loose $25 or 30M? $266M CDN for an expansion franchise, No one in Canada will pay this, who in the states will pay and how will they rationalize their decision? Their whole business plan is based on selling franchises?
It smells like a bit of a pyramid scheme.

Teams are willing to lose money because the Franchise values keep going up and the expansion money is coming fast/furious.  What happens when it dries up?  Worse yet, what happens when all the markets are taken?  That hurts the Franchise price because where would a team move?

While I don't think the MLS will implode, I expect more than a few steps back - big ones!

As for the TFC, the Italian Ant isn't scoring and he's the reason they did well last year.  If he has gotten too old, or lost interest, TFC will be at the bottom of the pack - like they are now.

Let's see how many tickets they sell when the teams NOT winning.  My guess, the TFC, along with Montreal, dries up quickly.

Mightygoose

I see MLS right now where the NHL was in the US about 20 years ago.

They we're in quick expansion mode and almost every city and their dog wanted a team.

Once the expansion cheques dried up the new economic realities took over. High profile owners (Disney, Turner etc,,) wanted out and they had to change the system so much that owners were willing to lose an entire season to get it.

With teams being able to spend big on DPs, there's no real hard salary cap and the gap between the haves and have nots will grow IMO.

They'll expand  by 4 (maybe 5 is Miami is a bust). From there, there will be as many of 7 groups with stadium plans from the 12 that applied. Now you have some landing spots if you need to move a team or two!

KevinRiley2

Boasting at the Cabbage Patch...

Still yet to see any individual game ratings for Canadian TV, but this story from Paul Tenorio includes a claim from the league that viewership through the first five weeks is up 21% on TSN and 43% on TVA compared to last year.

Um...  TSN average 38K for TFC games early in the season.  A 21% bump would brings the number up to 46K/game.   :lol:

Users Online

107 Guests, 14 Users (10 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
RichardVeilleux, bobo82, Stampeder67, EastVanMark, everyman, Bayargonaut00, Count Floyd, dcmoses, themuck, mycko75, SteelCitySteve, Yahoo!, Google (9)

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)