nopa

MLS reminds me of the WHA of the 70's.  Gordie and Bobby could keep up in the diluted league that had a few strong franchises. Both leagues overextended.  MLS should go to ... 
9 teams.

KevinRiley2

MLS reminds me of the WHA of the 70's.  Gordie and Bobby could keep up in the diluted league that had a few strong franchises. Both leagues overextended.  MLS should go to ...
9 teams.
It's a fad.  TFC is at its peak and, on TV, it's drawing flies.  When the team starts its inevitable decline, the stadium numbers will also fall.  
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

alphamale111

9 teams.
The league is growing in depth of talent. Why would it shrink to 9 clubs? What would be the purpose of that? You shrink revenues leading to lesser quality of players.

alphamale111

9 teams.
It's a fad.  TFC is at its peak and, on TV, it's drawing flies.  When the team starts its inevitable decline, the stadium numbers will also fall.  
You sure post a lot in a thread for something you don't like or even follow...

nopa

I picked 9 teams as a troll type comment as, you know, CFL with 9 teams.  The idea that the NFL has the best players therefore CFL is minor/bush somehow doesn't equate to MLS vs. Euro or other word leagues?  MLS has 1/3 good franchises, 1/3 average, and 1/3 poor, and combined with mediocre tv ratings, will make tougher sledding.  Yes, adding new teams and more expansion fees are nice, but this dilutes the talent pool even more.  The NHL went down this road but were lucky the Euro invasion was starting and kept the league top notch.

KevinRiley2

9 teams.
You sure post a lot in a thread for something you don't like or even follow...
I know.  Isn't it great?!?!

But, rest assured, when the bandwagon ends, and this team stops being great, and people stop being interested, I will lose (negative) interest as well.

KevinRiley2

MLS should go to ...
9 teams.
The league is growing in depth of talent. Why would it shrink to 9 clubs? What would be the purpose of that? You shrink revenues leading to lesser quality of players.
Nopa was being clever/funny.  I guess all that testosterone in your alphamale body caused you to miss that.  ;)

nopa

I'm glad you said that and not "trying" to be funny :).

KevinRiley2

:)

alphamale111

You two are killing me lol

nopa

KevinRiley2

You two are killing me lol
Just keep in mind, if Patrick agrees with anything you say, or disagrees with us, that is NOT a badge of honour.

While we all love Patrick, he is the world's biggest hypocrite / band wagon jumper so, if he agrees with you, that is NOT a point for you in any argument.

nopa

Seems legit.

Argofan_1000

I picked 9 teams as a troll type comment as, you know, CFL with 9 teams.  The idea that the NFL has the best players therefore CFL is minor/bush somehow doesn't equate to MLS vs. Euro or other word leagues?  MLS has 1/3 good franchises, 1/3 average, and 1/3 poor, and combined with mediocre tv ratings, will make tougher sledding.  Yes, adding new teams and more expansion fees are nice, but this dilutes the talent pool even more.  The NHL went down this road but were lucky the Euro invasion was starting and kept the league top notch.
Having a business model where the teams are helped by selling franchises is not a good financial plan long term.

If you look at TFC and the real money it costs mlse, it is much bigger than the reported $9M US loss. The stadium for one can't be used for anything else because of the TFC grass issue so there is income losses not reported.

What I do like about the MLS is how the teams stick together and are always promoting. If that means fake news - twitter followers - attendance numbers - tv numbers - internet interest they do it. Always selling, always promoting

Problem for the CFL -  sadly they cannot do any of this as they are governed by a different set of imposed rules in Canada and there are many who would call them out on this. The MLS followers would be first

TravelPat1

Nothing like a shiny new stadium to help set a new MLS attendance single game record.  Over 70,000 for the Atlanta United game at Mercedes Benz stadium today.

But even before today the team was averaging over 46,000 a game playing at Georgia Tech's stadium. 

Users Online

184 Guests, 20 Users (16 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
raymarkca, bobo82, rcon, EastVanMark, RiverCityFan, BillyDee87, tabbiefanmcb, DavidThompson, RichardVeilleux, Johnny Ticat slayer, safetyblitz, Hamilton2005, Mightygoose, leviadon, argonutII, papazoola, Dr.Whiskey, DogsFan, Yahoo!, Google (15)

Most Online Today: 365. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)