brihind88

Mightygoose, I agree with your assessment about sharing MLS venues.  I'm not as sure about the value of larger markets, as has been the belief in the past.  LA has just completed its second season back in the NFL and there hasn't been a bump in the ratings.  However, it may lend more credibility to the new league to be in mega markets.

Brihind88, I think you are right about Salt Lake City, especially since they have an MLS stadium.  I may have to adjust my list.  8 teams is pretty skimpy.
I do not think 8 is skimpy at all.

I was pointing out some options as alternatives, not so much to add to the 8.

It is wise to start with 8, get on good footing then expand to 10 or 12.
Not a good idea to have to much to fast.

I do think Salt Lake would be a good location, but it was a bit self serving.

With me living in Calgary, it would be easy for me to make a trip to Portland or Salt Lake.

okie

From the latest Wrestling Observer:

-XFL's Regular Season will probably start during the NFL Pro Bowl Week, have a Bye during Superbowl week, and then continue play after the Superbowl.  McMahon's theory is that after the Superbowl concludes, people are still wanting football.

-Vince thinks that if he only gets a small percentage of those 100 million watching the Superbowl, the league will work.  Well, that is the same flawed reasoning others having been using to compete against the WWE.

-Outside of the date when the season begins, McMahon is conceding that everything else done regarding XFL 1.0 was wrong.  Maybe one of the problems was Vince knows little about football.

-McMahon is expecting major losses as his $96 million intial investment might not be enough.  Even so, he is currently not looking to sell franchises or bring in outside investors.

-While the original formation of the XFL was largely done to run the CFL out of business, the revival seems to be more of McMahon's neverending quest to be a success outside of wrestling.

-During the press conference, there was mention that a DUI would disqualify participation in the league.  Yet, a wrestler on his roster recently was charged and no disciplinary was taken.

-With regards to standing for the National Anthem, Dave Meltzer points out that the WWE never plays it for house shows or tv tapings.  Only time the Anthem is used is for patriotic shows.  For their biggest show of the year (Wrestlemania), the WWE does not even use the Anthem but instead plays "America the Beautiful."

-Meltzer thinks XFL 1.0 failed not because the quality of play was subpar.  Instead, he says there just is not enough demand for minor league football.

-Reason for the XFL distancing themselves from the XFL is WWE's stock price would take a dive as this league could very well lose $100+ million as XFL 1.0 lost around $136 million.

-Meltzer notes that in wrestling, other promotions are the WWE's feeder league.  Vince is not going to like the XFL being the NFL's feeder league as talented players would leave after one year.  Marginal NFL players will not sign multiyear deals to play in the XFL.

-XFL 1.0 made no money on broadcast rights.  The plan back then was to make money though ticket sales and merchandise while keeping salaries low.  XFL 2.0 will make it or not based on how much someone pays them to air the games.

-Nobody knows what the world of broadcasting will look like in 2+ years which means predicting the success or failure of the XFL is just a wild guess.

CFL2USA

Hank01

Here's one sports writers take on the major vs. mid-sized markets argument.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2018/02/01/where-will-the-xfl-land-its-eight-teams-maybe.html

New York is a must have market .
MY NEW HERO JORDAN PETERSON FOR PRIME MINISTER

brihind88

Here's one sports writer's take on the major vs. mid-sized markets argument.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2018/02/01/where-will-the-xfl-land-its-eight-teams-maybe.html
Thanks for finding and posting this CFLUSA2.

Very good points to consider. 

Again, this is why it is good they are waiting 2 years to get it figured out.

BTW, in my list I should have mentioned SAN JOSE.

TravelPat1

Not sure about San Jose since that is pretty much where the 49'ers of the NFL play.  

Levis Stadium is in Santa Clara Califonia just 6 or 7 miles from the centre of downtown San Jose. About 40 - 45 miles south of San Francisco. 

brihind88

Sorry,

I thought the 49ers played in San Francisco.

Since I do not follow NFL, I do not know if / when teams play in cities other than the city that they are called play in.

Mightygoose

Aviva Stadium is in San Jose but seating around 18K may be a little on the small side even if they go for MLS sized venues.

The Deamons played at AT &T Park which had a football configuration if they wanted to play in the West Bay again.

brihind88

Aviva Stadium is in San Jose but seating around 18K may be a little on the small side even if they go for MLS sized venues.

The Deamons played at AT &T Park which had a football configuration if they wanted to play in the West Bay again.
In San Jose, I was thinking of Spartan stadium . Over 30,000.

The Demons were going to play there , but picked Pac Bell in SF.

Also with the old AFL Sabre Cats, were popular.

Shows SJ would accept alternate football.

The XFL will not be allowed in Pac Bell Park.

The SF Giants complained the field was destroyed . 

CFL2USA

These guys don't think Louisville will make it into the XFL. 

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/02/02/xfl-louisville-team/1088545001/

My new list:
WEST
Portland
San Antonio
San Diego
San Jose

EAST
Memphis
St. Louis
Orlando
NY/NJ
I checked into this:  San Jose is part of the San Francisco media market, which is 8th largest in the nation.  The problem I see with locating in a Chicago or New York is that McMahon wants to play in winter and there aren't any indoor venues there that I am aware of.

brihind88

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/02/02/xfl-louisville-team/1088545001/

My new list:
WEST
Portland
San Antonio
San Diego
San Jose

EAST
Memphis
St. Louis
Orlando
NY/NJ
I checked into this:  San Jose is part of the San Francisco media market, which is 8th largest in the nation.  The problem I see with locating in a Chicago or New York is that McMahon wants to play in winter and there aren't any indoor venues there that I am aware of.
Not sure about NY/NJ.  I get going to a big media market, but is saturated.
Other than that, you have good choices.

Hank01

My new list:
WEST
Portland
San Antonio
San Diego
San Jose

EAST
Memphis
St. Louis
Orlando
NY/NJ
I checked into this:  San Jose is part of the San Francisco media market, which is 8th largest in the nation.  The problem I see with locating in a Chicago or New York is that McMahon wants to play in winter and there aren't any indoor venues there that I am aware of.
Not sure about NY/NJ.  I get going to a big media market, but is saturated.
Other than that, you have good choices.
 Unfortunately if you have no big markets especially New York you get no large media package which is the lifeline for these spring leagues .

CFL2USA

https://boltbeat.com/2018/02/06/xfl-venture-chargers-old-stomping-grounds/

How about the San Diego Thunderbolts? They could call them the Bolts for short.

Users Online

66 Guests, 6 Users (5 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
toddstattoo, KevinRiley2, Lyle B. Style, rusjod, Davaidengi, Google (5)

Most Online Today: 139. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)