Hank01

Spring League .

CRFU sounds good . Canadian Rules Football Union .

The FU can be a calling card and used later .

brihind88

-Name is officially XFL.
-slogan used is "Football Reimagined"
-starts in 2020
-40 man roster
-10 games
-8 teams
-"quality people" is important; says even a DUI would disqualify player.
-have not started talks with any broadcast partners.
-says no crossover with WWE.
-a $100mil investment in football was not something the WWE could justify.
-Vince wants to be in the background and will hire others to do the football.
-says players taking knees during the NFL anthem is not related to relaunch.
-is not a Spring league.  Season would start in JAN/FEB.
-single entity owned.
-cities involved still to be determined.
-wants to make play safe as possible unlike the previous incarnation of the league.
-says no politics or social issues, want to focus on football.
-says there is 7 month period (no NFL) when there is demand for the product.  
-too early to talk about cities; just want to go where it will be popular.
-goal is trying to get a game to 2 hours; one idea is to forgo halftime.
-considered a different name, but liked XFL name.
-hinted that national anthem standing will be required.

Basically, McMahon just wants to relaunch the XFL even though there are no concrete plans regarding any aspect of this league.
The name is NOT officially XFL.

All Mcmahon said was he liked it.

Odds are he is just keeping it out there for marketing and media benefits.

I would be surprised if he could use it.  I thought the name belonged to WWE.

Mcmahon 's Alpha company has nothing to do with WWE. 

okie

No idea why you are insistent about something relatively insignificant such as a name.  The XFL logo was prominent during Vince McMahon's press conference.  The website xfl.com was dormant until today.  The new XFL website has a FAQ which includes questions like "Who owns and runs the XFL & When is the XFL launching?"  Alpha must have acquired the XFL name.  I believe the story is the WWE allowed the name to lapse and then Vince was able to pick it up.

Vince McMahon is the ultimate micromanager.  Everything that goes on has to be approved by him.  McMahon has been known to scrap and rewrite television scripts at the last minute.  He is also famous for insisting that his announcers only use certain verbiage.  For instance, the word WRESTLER is banned.  When the XFL was last in existence, McMahon was overworking everybody to the point where either the wrestling or football (or both) suffered.  Because McMahon has always been a hands-on guy, I find it hard to believe he will he hands-off in either of his ventures this time.

Now, if there was something mentioned today about the XFL that is unlikely to happen, I would guess that it would be the "quality people" rule where the league would disallow people based on some character flaw.  If the XFL does somehow implement that condition, it will definitely not be univerally applied as the star players will be tolerated more than reserves. 

FootbalYouBet

just as long as they do not call it Triple-X FL
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

There are people out there who just will not be happy until they have created sentient AI.

okie

Any renaming to something juvenile, and we will know Vince Russo is somehow involved in the league.

Iconic SR

Very skeptical that XFL 2.0 will stick around (even if it does get off the ground).

McMahon is a loud, boisterous showman, relying on hype and pre-fabricated, manipulative, cheesy drama to sell tickets. I don’t think most season ticket holder football fans are drawn heavily to that style of team sport - unless the tickets are cheap. Sure they may attend a game here or there, but for this new XFL to stick and get the peripheral contracts it needs from media and sponsors etc - it needs season ticket commitments and it needs an air of legitimacy, and I’m not sure that this will materialize.

brihind88

Do not really care what they call it.

Just glad it is coming and hope it stays.

VM, is doing it right with the 2 year cushion.

ArgoT

Not going to get off the ground, despite the time cushion and all of McMahon's money.
But for the sake of argument, he says the game will be different?
Who is to say they do not take some of our rules especially the 3 downs and 20 second clock, since the vision is to make the game faster reportedly under 2 hours with no halftime.
The No Funners with the nauseating 40 second clock and 4 downs make for boring and 3-4  hours games.

brihind88

Not going to get off the ground, despite the time cushion and all of McMahon's money.
But for the sake of argument, he says the game will be different?
Who is to say they do not take some of our rules especially the 3 downs and 20 second clock, since the vision is to make the game faster reportedly under 2 hours with no halftime.
The No Funners with the nauseating 40 second clock and 4 downs make for boring and 3-4  hours games.
I have a feeling of deje vue

Like I read this before somewhere.

I feel positive and optimistic.

That's just me, I am like that when it comes to good positive things.

sambo42

I wonder if the old codger will still be around in 2020 to launch the XFL 2.0... lots can happen between now and then, he will need football people to really make a go of it... I don't know if he will be able to pull it off, I really have my doubts at this point. If it doesn't take off quickly, expect a does of WWE to be injected to try to save it.

Iconic SR

At the rate things are going, every male in business or on TV will be unemployed or in jail by then. 

CFL2USA

OK, now that it is official, where should the 8 XFL cities be located?

My list:

WEST:
Portland
Oakland 
San Diego
San Antonio

EAST:
Hartford
Norfolk/Va. Beach
St. Louis
Louisville

Mightygoose

I actually think they should have a few teams in the larger markets (LA, NY, Chicago) if they want to attract any big national sponsors. Plus if they are going late winter/early spring it won't matter if NFL teams exist.

I'm actually thinking they should try leasing stadiums that host MLS teams - Stub Hub Center, Banc of California Stadium in LA; Red Bull Arena in the NY area; Toyota Park in the Chicago area. Any of those that an American Football field can fit. Carve out their own niche and have a limited supply of seats to sell.

Mix that in with some mid-size markets that don't have the NFL or may never get it.

brihind88

OK, now that it is official, where should the 8 XFL cities be located?

My list:

WEST:
Portland
Oakland
San Diego
San Antonio

EAST:
Hartford
Norfolk/Va. Beach
St. Louis
Louisville
Good location choices CFLUSA.

The 3 fan bases that have been dumped and have a fan base to draw on.
I would also toss  in the options of Tulsa, Shreveport, and Salt Lake.

Which ever, I am glad they are not rushing this and giving themselves a good 2 year window. 

CFL2USA

Mightygoose, I agree with your assessment about sharing MLS venues.  I'm not as sure about the value of larger markets, as has been the belief in the past.  LA has just completed its second season back in the NFL and there hasn't been a bump in the ratings.  However, it may lend more credibility to the new league to be in mega markets.

Brihind88, I think you are right about Salt Lake City, especially since they have an MLS stadium.  I may have to adjust my list.  8 teams is pretty skimpy.

Users Online

72 Guests, 8 Users (8 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
oo DAWG oo, KevinRiley2, Augustus67, pdson2, smogmonster, ruswamahmet, Google (AdSense) (3), Google (5)

Most Online Today: 376. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)