TravelPat1

We might not like the excessive hype of the NFL - but there is no denying - it works.  

Even though playoff ratings were down from previous years the games this past weekend were still the most watched program of any kind on TV in the USA since last year's Super Bowl.

Something like 6 of the last 8 Super Bowls have been outstanding and exciting games. As a football fan - glad I was watching. And sorry ArgoT - but I will be watching 12 days from now.  Go Eagles!

Aerial

I don't know Pat, it's not that people dislike the hype I would say, it's more of just telling the truth, the SB itself is more about the hype than just about anything else in sports at the major level.  This type of SB "hype" you don't see in MLB, NBA or the NHL, it's just not there, the same type and degree of hype.  

Of course the CFL being a domestic league with what are regarded as not the best players, can not hope to achieve this type and degree of hype in this age where Canadians now are exposed to far more American influence with digital technology and information compared with the old days when Canadians didn't have this exposure to American influence.

Everyone today wants to think they are a Tom Brady celebrity mega-millionaire SB champ.  
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Iconic SR

Of course the hype is meant to pad the corporate coffers and Americans, much more than Canadians, see sport as almost a religion and at the same time an extension of American power, wealth and "war-like" army, navy etc.  We don't have that mentality here.  

I wonder if this year's SB will be around 80 percent corporate tickets and the remainder for the everyday type fans?  Who knows.  It's a corporate schmooze fest that works, no doubt about it, corporations buy-in big time.  Not so much the case with the Grey Cup here.

$66,500 can buy you a ticket to the game.  Ok, that's a very high priced ticket.  :P

Want to See the Patriots Play the Eagles in Super Bowl LII? Tickets Run As High As $66,500

http://fortune.com/2018/01/22/new-england-patriots-philadelphia-eagles-super-bowl-lii-ticket-prices/
Here is some good info on how the ticket distribution works and how one can get reasonably priced tickets to SuperBowl:
https://blog.tickpick.com/how-to-buy-super-bowl-tickets/

1. Super Bowl teams share 35% (17.5% each, majority given to season ticket holders & players)

2. Host team gets 6.2% (majority distributed to season ticket holders)

3. Remaining 28 teams share 33.6% (1.2% for each team distributed to players, media, partners etc)

4. NFL retains 25.2% (tickets are typically sold to partners, media, and sponsors)

Iconic SR

I don't know Pat, it's not that people dislike the hype I would say, it's more of just telling the truth, the SB itself is more about the hype than just about anything else in sports at the major level.  This type of SB "hype" you don't see in MLB, NBA or the NHL, it's just not there, the same type and degree of hype.  

Of course the CFL being a domestic league with what are regarded as not the best players, can not hope to achieve this type and degree of hype in this age where Canadians now are exposed to far more American influence with digital technology and information compared with the old days when Canadians didn't have this exposure to American influence.

Everyone today wants to think they are a Tom Brady celebrity mega-millionaire SB champ.  
I’m not so sure that’s an accurate statement. The vast majority of fans we rubbed shoulders with at a SuperBowl week and it’s events and game - were average joe season ticket holders and NFL fans who worked hard to acquire their tickets via their channels or connections in order to take in the big event. Nobody was trying to act above their level - that we could see. No one we hung around with anyways.

With every NFL game or event we’ve attended over the years, I must say that the average NFL fan there at the pregame tailgating or in the stands nearby - was friendlier and more inclusive with us than most CFL fans are. Us CFL fans can learn a lot about encouraging outsiders 

Aerial

Glad to hear that iconic.  I know that I did meet some very nice Americans way back when when I attended some NFL games in Detroit and Buffalo.  Super people and glad the average joe is able to obtain SB tickets as you say.  Some even knew what the CFL and Grey Cup are! I certainly found some of the Americans I met far more cordial than some Canadians, that's for sure.

Iconic SR

Glad to hear that iconic.  I know that I did meet some very nice Americans way back when when I attended some NFL games in Detroit and Buffalo.  Super people and glad the average joe is able to obtain SB tickets as you say.
We met a Seahawks fan in Phoenix who attends every SuperBowl. He lives in Seattle, is a Seahawks season ticket holder, and was with his family and extended family for the game in Phoenix in 2015. Was crushed with the loss, obviously lol. Anyways, their family is spread all over the US so they use the SuperBowl as their annual family vacation/reunion and all of them meet in the Super Bowl host city for a week of family and Super Bowl activities. Long time tradition. All are season ticket holders in the various cities they reside and that’s their access point to tickets that are affordable. In 2015, he secured his block of tickets way up in the upper bowl corner - for under $800 each. Not a bad seat in the house. Our tix were promo tix thru a sponsor via work so we didn’t pay face, but face was $1200 for those 

Hank01

Glad to hear that iconic.  I know that I did meet some very nice Americans way back when when I attended some NFL games in Detroit and Buffalo.  Super people and glad the average joe is able to obtain SB tickets as you say.
We met a Seahawks fan in Phoenix who attends every SuperBowl. He lives in Seattle, is a Seahawks season ticket holder, and was with his family and extended family for the game in Phoenix in 2015. Was crushed with the loss, obviously lol. Anyways, their family is spread all over the US so they use the SuperBowl as their annual family vacation/reunion and all of them meet in the Super Bowl host city for a week of family and Super Bowl activities. Long time tradition. All are season ticket holders in the various cities they reside and that’s their access point to tickets that are affordable. In 2015, he secured his block of tickets way up in the upper bowl corner - for under $800 each. Not a bad seat in the house. Our tix were promo tix thru a sponsor via work so we didn’t pay face, but face was $1200 for those
 One thing the NFL marketing campaign did extremely well is market the NFL as Family . The CFL should copy cat this marketing campaign it is extremely well received . This story above is another example of love and loyalty above the game itself . It like many other events is the excuse or  backdrop to a family gathering .
Wonderful theme to otherwise greedy event .
MY NEW HERO JORDAN PETERSON FOR PRIME MINISTER

sambo42

I will not join the boycott... I enjoy both leagues, but prefer CFL. A good excuse to go have a few pints with friends, and enjoy the game. 

Iconic SR

I will not join the boycott... I enjoy both leagues, but prefer CFL. A good excuse to go have a few pints with friends, and enjoy the game.
All this SuperBowl talk is really ratcheting up the anticipation for me too

FootbalYouBet

BTW - boycott is sexist.
The worst thing about being on the west coast is that when I want to post at night, everyone else is asleep or passed out

Iconic SR

One thing the NFL marketing campaign did extremely well is market the NFL as Family . The CFL should copy cat this marketing campaign it is extremely well received . This story above is another example of love and loyalty above the game itself . It like many other events is the excuse or  backdrop to a family gathering .
Wonderful theme to otherwise greedy event .
There's no doubt the family marketing focus creates the next gen fan base who will watch or buy tickets

Aerial

NFL as family?  What a joke, every time I watch games where people are standing cheering on their teams especially in playoffs in the NFL, very few kids and the dude adults look wasted and have beers in their hand.

Family?  Too friggin funny, the best "fake news" POS I've heard in a while.  :-*  The NFL is NOT about family, college football is much more family related and young people related with cheaper ticket prices.  I remember going to a Michigan game and saw a young women with her 2 kids and taking in a cooler to the game and it was a great environment.  Never saw this at the Bills games I went to, all I saw was a bunch of drunks in the parking lot, many Canadians, where the last thing you would want is your kid there.  People puking as well, disgusting.  Give me a Michigan game anytime or a TiCats or Argos game anytime, no where near the issues like that at a drunken parking lot for a Bills game.

ArgoT

NFL as family?  What a joke, every time I watch games where people are standing cheering on their teams especially in playoffs in the NFL, very few kids and the dude adults look wasted and have beers in their hand.

Family?  Too friggin funny, the best "fake news" POS I've heard in a while.  :-*  The NFL is NOT about family, college football is much more family related and young people related with cheaper ticket prices.  I remember going to a Michigan game and saw a young women with her 2 kids and taking in a cooler to the game and it was a great environment.  Never saw this at the Bills games I went to, all I saw was a bunch of drunks in the parking lot, many Canadians, where the last thing you would want is your kid there.  People puking as well, disgusting.  Give me a Michigan game anytime or a TiCats or Argos game anytime, no where near the issues like that at a drunken parking lot for a Bills game.
Boy Earl, it looks like you are coming over to our side?
Yes/No?

Aerial

Yes with the caveat that the actual game of an NFL game is sometimes worth watching, it can be great football,  but other than that, I'm with you ArgoT.  Truth be told I have never really cared who wins the Super Bowl, great gridiron athletes but the city of Oakland is the same to me as the city of Miami in a foreign country for all I care as I'm not American and can't really relate to the American situations there,  but do care who wins our national championship football trophy the Grey Cup every year, and with passion.  

Iconic SR

I believe you have misread and misinterpreted the family reference. Nobody is saying it's mostly families at the games. What we are saying is that families GATHER to watch the games on TV. It's a tradition. Thanksgiving games. Christmas and New Year's Day games, Labour Day and playoff games, Grey Cups, Super Bowl etc. Families GATHER and watch the games and eat their celebratory meal. Some even gather while camping and fire up the satellite dish or stream games online.

People who watch games on TV and fall in love with it and the camaraderie then are likely to become ticket purchasers to also attend games in person at times. Ergo - watching  football together is leading to generations purchasing singlely - or as groups sometimes. And keeps them watching on TV etc. This is exactly how it works in our family. Not everyone goes to games but everyone looks forward to watching on TV together whenever we can.

Users Online

64 Guests, 4 Users (5 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
jim43bob, Sidney, Google (5)

Most Online Today: 104. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)