brihind88

NFL Super Bowl ?

Never heard of it.

I have my CFL Grey Cup 

I have my AFL Grand Final Premiership.

Of course I do want Spring Football to return.

Is there a 3rd league I do not know about ?

I am with you on this Argo T.

Serious, for myself football ends in November.

ArgoT

NFL Super Bowl ?

Never heard of it.

I have my CFL Grey Cup

I have my AFL Grand Final Premiership.

Of course I do want Spring Football to return.

Is there a 3rd league I do not know about ?

I am with you on this Argo T.

Serious, for myself football ends in November.
Awesome b88, welcome to our little group.
As for the rest enjoy the game.

ArgoT

Yes here we are again, 2 nauseating weeks of overhype nonsensical verbiage about this TV event which for some of us is not.
I have not watched now for probably close to 20 odd years and again have no interest.
At least this year with the viewership numbers tanking, you would think the American media machine will not quote the billion(s) of people reportedly watching world wide. Boy what crap?
I have my own personal reasons for not watching, such as the CFL is the only league providing an unbelievable sporting event and no better example each and every year like our GC game.
Anyway, will likely watch a movie, maybe read a book or heck watch again the GC.
Give me your reasons and what you will do instead.
Confirm your pledge to join!
Good luck with that. Not sure exactly what you’re trying to accomplish.
Does anyone get a ribbon? If there are ribbons I might join.

Ribbons for non existent achievements are all the rage these days.

You’re on a football forum as a supposed football fan, asking other football fans to ignore the biggest football event in the world? It sounds like you just want to be a general, directing us lemmings.

Question: If you’ve ignored it for 20 years, how do you even know what it is you’re boycotting?

That’s like saying “I’ve never tried quinoa, but I hate quinoa. Please join me in boycotting it.”
That's not the point.
I have chosen to swim against the current and frankly there are some who are drinking the kool aid big time, cannot think for themselves and have fallen into this mindset.
Everyone has to watch after all it's the big game?? That's nonsense.
For me football starts in June and ends in November.
It's nice to know there are other people who are not in this small way, what I call anti Canadiana. 

FootbalYouBet

then there are those of us who CHOOSE to watch because we find it ENTERTAINING.
The worst thing about being on the west coast is that when I want to post at night, everyone else is asleep or passed out

Iconic SR

Yes here we are again, 2 nauseating weeks of overhype nonsensical verbiage about this TV event which for some of us is not.
I have not watched now for probably close to 20 odd years and again have no interest.
At least this year with the viewership numbers tanking, you would think the American media machine will not quote the billion(s) of people reportedly watching world wide. Boy what crap?
I have my own personal reasons for not watching, such as the CFL is the only league providing an unbelievable sporting event and no better example each and every year like our GC game.
Anyway, will likely watch a movie, maybe read a book or heck watch again the GC.
Give me your reasons and what you will do instead.
Confirm your pledge to join!
Good luck with that. Not sure exactly what you’re trying to accomplish.
Does anyone get a ribbon? If there are ribbons I might join.

Ribbons for non existent achievements are all the rage these days.

You’re on a football forum as a supposed football fan, asking other football fans to ignore the biggest football event in the world? It sounds like you just want to be a general, directing us lemmings.

Question: If you’ve ignored it for 20 years, how do you even know what it is you’re boycotting?

That’s like saying “I’ve never tried quinoa, but I hate quinoa. Please join me in boycotting it.”
That's not the point.
I have chosen to swim against the current and frankly there are some who are drinking the kool aid big time, cannot think for themselves and have fallen into this mindset.
For me football starts in June and ends in November.
It's nice to know there are other people who are not in this small way, what I call anti Canadiana.

A football fan boycotting watching the SuperBowl is like boycotting a Barrett Jackson pristine car auction - because you don't like Fords.

You're only robbing yourself.

brihind88

How can someone ( Argo T or myself ) rob something from himself of something he knows he does not have any interest in ?

Hank01

I understand Argo T's reasoning the NFL hype is sickening but I wish the CFL would learn something when I see the NFL . One is Brady playing for one team and one coach all these years is great to see . The turn over in the CFL disappoints me as a fan . 

I also would like to see our championship played with 9 hopefully 10 teams vying for the Grey Cup and not how we insist on a  archaic train travel system employed decades ago which is not relevant . The best teams need to host the play off games in the CFL they earned that right .

Lastly when I hear changing to move the season up a month because of cool weather in November we look like pansies when the NFL hosted playoffs in Philadelphia and Boston in late January . Glad to see the dome teams are now 0 for 13 when playing in cold weather games outdoors in conference finals . 

Long live the Bears , Browns , Bills and Packers who tough it out in the cold weather .
MY NEW HERO JORDAN PETERSON FOR PRIME MINISTER

brihind88

I understand Argo T's reasoning the NFL hype is sickening but I wish the CFL would learn something when I see the NFL . One is Brady playing for one team and one coach all these years is great to see . The turn over in the CFL disappoints me as a fan .

I also would like to see our championship played with 9 hopefully 10 teams vying for the Grey Cup and not how we insist on a  archaic train travel system employed decades ago which is not relevant . The best teams need to host the play off games in the CFL they earned that right .

Lastly when I hear changing to move the season up a month because of cool weather in November we look like pansies when the NFL hosted playoffs in Philadelphia and Boston in late January . Glad to see the dome teams are now 0 for 13 when playing in cold weather games outdoors in conference finals .

Long live the Bears , Browns , Bills and Packers who tough it out in the cold weather .
OK Hank the debate about what months to play can go on and on.

The reality is we need to consider game attendance .

You use the term pansies, but the fact is sitting in the cold or wind for 3 or 4 hours in November just does not appeal to all fans.   

Hank01

OK Hank the debate about what months to play can go on and on.

The reality is we need to consider game attendance .

You use the term pansies, but the fact is sitting in the cold or wind for 3 or 4 hours in November just does not appeal to all fans.  
  Its a mistake to change it will not bring anymore fans . Just look at the attendance . The warmer months in Calgary brought no more fans . Any less attendance may have to do with the games being meaningless in October . This league has been around long enough to fix things properly . The season in November has been a life saver . The moving the season up is a ridiculous argument . Ottawa sold out a hockey game in minus 20 weather in December at Grey Cup prices . The team claiming to want it the most the Riders lead attendance . This move will cost the CFL its one shining spot light the month of November .

How the H does moving the season up help the three big cities who are averaging the worst attendance ?  If people are not attending in June or July how does May help them improve attendance . And yes if CFL fans are too soft next to their NFL counterparts in January it makes us supposedly tough CFL northern people look like freakin pansies compared to them . 

Having sat in the cold and snow for one lousy game once in awhile is not a big deal and it's not always that bad out in November . Put a roof covering spectators on McMahon and use some wind blockers ad billboards to cut down the wind and it will make a big difference . 

We shouldn't even be having this discussion this is a CFL tradition that actually works in favour of the league . You don't hear the NFL changing their schedule up . They play in terrible conditions in December and January in many northern cities without domes . 

DAN38

I happened to turn on the TV with 10 mins left in the Vikes/Saints game. My wife asked why and I said I used to be a Vikes fan(for a few years). She sat and watched with me and then left. Why ? Because she said it was BORING. And it was ! Until they flubbed coverage and let the Vikes win there was very little to be excited about....I actually watched the Vikes/Eagles game. Guess what ? BORING.
  I am with ArgoT and B88. The massive amount of hype only keeps showing how unexciting the NFL really is. I stopped watching many years ago but I never stopped watching the CFL, Why ? Because of the excitement.
  I am not criticizing those who do follow the NFL. These are just my reasons for not watching. As for the SB, I don't really care. I may turn it on, just out of curiosity or boredom, or I may not. The NFL may have the best football players in the world but the game is just too slow for my liking. My son is a big fan and I've tried to watch with him, to no avail.

PS. I would take any NFL game over MLB, soccer and especially basketball.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

Aerial

The turn over in the CFL disappoints me as a fan .
Hank01, I prefer blueberry ones, what's your preference?   ;)  But really, it can easily be said in other leagues and sports that free agency disappoints fans when a player bolts for another team when he can.  Anthony Calvillo played for many years with the Als, Pinball Clemons another with the Double Blue and there are many examples of players sticking with one team for many years but people just want to seem to perpetuate the  image that this is never the case in the CFL.  And that is disappointing.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Iconic SR

The hype is extreme in the US and NFL etc - because it works.
Cost of SuperBowl ads etc keep increasing, so that means their value or worth keeps going up to the sponsors and advertisers. In politics, hype layered over top of the issues - elected the current president down there, we must keep in mind. 

The NFL does the hype because the hype is effective. Over the years when we had the connections and attended 2 SuperBowls - we enjoyed the week long hype and events leading up to the big games. Huge fan events and massive, fun marketing campaigns aimed at the fans. Concerts, etc lots of spectacle. Was great.

Fans become engaged. It works. 

rcon

Is it May yet?? 

Aerial

Of course the hype is meant to pad the corporate coffers and Americans, much more than Canadians, see sport as almost a religion and at the same time an extension of American power, wealth and "war-like" army, navy etc.  We don't have that mentality here.  

I wonder if this year's SB will be around 80 percent corporate tickets and the remainder for the everyday type fans?  Who knows.  It's a corporate schmooze fest that works, no doubt about it, corporations buy-in big time.  Not so much the case with the Grey Cup here.

$66,500 can buy you a ticket to the game.  Ok, that's a very high priced ticket.  :P

Want to See the Patriots Play the Eagles in Super Bowl LII? Tickets Run As High As $66,500

http://fortune.com/2018/01/22/new-england-patriots-philadelphia-eagles-super-bowl-lii-ticket-prices/

TravelPat1

We might not like the excessive hype of the NFL - but there is no denying - it works.  

Even though playoff ratings were down from previous years the games this past weekend were still the most watched program of any kind on TV since last year's Super Bowl. 

Something like 6 of the last 8 Super Bowls have been outstanding and exciting games. As a football fan - glad I was watching. And sorry ArgoT - but I will be watching 12 days from now.  Go Eagles!

Users Online

70 Guests, 7 Users (5 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Taleback, Black and Gold, Mightygoose, blackandgld, Lennywasout, Google (5)

Most Online Today: 106. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)