Aerial

Since this thread is turning into a NFL-into-Toronto-possibility thread, as so many do, I don't think the interest is there at all for an NFL stadium in Toronto when the Rogers Centre will eventually need to be bulldozed and a real true baseball stadium will need to be built for the Jays who have a huge fan base that will want a new baseball facility.  Once that roof at RC needs a massively expensive refurbishment, and I'm sure that will happen at some point, look for all the energy into a true baseball park for the Jays.  Really, how long can Toronto go with a cereal bowl round stadium that will just look so stupid if it doesn't already,  compared with the cool new angled parks as a baseball stadium should look?  And cool older true parks like Wrigley and Fenway?  I don't think Rogers should be looking at spending a lot of money on the RC anymore but rather start thinking to the future with a new facility.  The fans are going to come to the RC in the meantime, there are so many Jays fans, as long as they have a chance to win.  But at some point I think many of them will say to Rogers, why spend millions say on going to grass or whatever, make a fund and start banking on it for a new facility.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

RBFan2014

https://twitter.com/JustNotSports/status/906994747214061569/photo/1

A picture says a thousand words or in this case 10,000!
I was watching that game and there were more people than that as the game progressed. That picture is from 1:30 into the first quarter. I agree announced attendance of 60k is not good for LA, but to post a pic from the start of the game and claim 10k people showed up is definitely not accurate. To be fair, if you posted a picture from the first minute of a sold out CFL game it would look somewhat embarrassing as well....

100% agree that placing two teams in LA, from 0 teams, is stupid on the NFL. Not to mention, no one in LA wants the Chargers, they are pissed it's not the Raiders moving there.

Aerial

What a total mess pro football is in the state of California.  It'll be interesting if the NFL can dig itself out of this pisssss pot.

canadianfootballfan

Steve Young summed up the LA Coliseum well in a USFL documentary I saw a few years back.  He talked about a crowd of 7,000 looking like about 50 people there, simply because of the sheer size of the stands.  Remember...  it holds almost 100,000.  93,607 to be exact.

TravelPat1

Looks like they've got close to a full house there tonight again for a USC game - this time against Texas.

canadianfootballfan

It's no secret at all that the NCAA draws more people than the NFL.  In fact...  it's always been like that, and all over the US.  Every single Div. I team has more fans than any NFL team.

letsgoticats

Today's games in LA

Brutal crowds.  Chargers couldn't come close to selling out a 27k stadium.  Looks good on Dean Spanos.  

canadianfootballfan

The last 2-3 seasons of the LA Raiders were pretty brutal for attendance.  I remember games around 1993 where the camera would pan over whole sections with 3-5 people in them.

KevinRiley2

The last 2-3 seasons of the LA Raiders were pretty brutal for attendance.  I remember games around 1993 where the camera would pan over whole sections with 3-5 people in them.
L.A. is not an NFL city.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

TravelPat1

I actually went to an LA Rams playoff game at the Coliseum way back in December 1978 as part of a sports trip to LA to see the Kings and Lakers at the Fabulous Forum, the Rams, the Rose Bowl game and a UCLA basketball game at Pauley Pavilion. 

The Coliseum is massive. At the time they had the one end of the surface area covered with a huge section of several thousand portable endzone seats - that we sat in. It helped make the stadium a bit more intimate. The Roman columns at the one end of the permanent stadium seats were a good 40 yards beyond the back of the portable stands we were in.  It's that big. 

Users Online

104 Guests, 16 Users (15 Spiders, 4 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
letsgoticats, KevinRiley2, Mightygoose, Aerial, DavidThompson, Sidney, kwikkyd, OskeeweeneeVI, VICIOUSCIRCLE, safetyblitz, sportsfan100, Stampeder67, Google (14), Baidu

Most Online Today: 156. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)