sambo42

I'm all for giving people a break, but it was NOT in the heat of moment... he decided as soon as the game was over, or perhaps even before, that he wasn't going to accept a silver medal. They had a 50/50 shot a winning the game, just like Canada did... again, there are 8 other teams who would be more than happy to switch places with him, being  gracious in defeat is just as important being gracious in victory. I would say to him, life isn't fair, deal with it.

RedandWhite

...jag skulle säga till honom, livet är inte rättvist, ta itu med det....

There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

FootbalYouBet

...jag skulle säga till honom, livet är inte rättvist, ta itu med det....

why
Live well and please God

If every man had a wife like mine
There would be no war,  there would be no crime

sambo42

I hope we don't see this kind of stupidity next month in  Pyeongchang, but now the precedent has been set... athletes who lose and get silver might do the same thing, I can see it happening again. 

Aerial

I'm all for giving people a break, but it was NOT in the heat of moment... he decided as soon as the game was over, or perhaps even before, that he wasn't going to accept a silver medal. They had a 50/50 shot a winning the game, just like Canada did... again, there are 8 other teams who would be more than happy to switch places with him, being  gracious in defeat is just as important being gracious in victory. I would say to him, life isn't fair, deal with it.
So killing someone in the heat of the moment is justified and ok and should carry a very light sentence?  Look, throwing your medal in the stands was dumb but hardly a crime agains't humanity for pete sakes.  I would easily draft this kid and not even think about this act if he fit in with my team's draft plans and I had an interview with him and was confident he was basically over this behaviour.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

DAN38

I'm all for giving people a break, but it was NOT in the heat of moment... he decided as soon as the game was over, or perhaps even before, that he wasn't going to accept a silver medal. They had a 50/50 shot a winning the game, just like Canada did... again, there are 8 other teams who would be more than happy to switch places with him, being  gracious in defeat is just as important being gracious in victory. I would say to him, life isn't fair, deal with it.
   Great post Sambo !!!
Si vis pacem... para bellum

DAN38

So killing someone in the heat of the moment is justified and ok and should carry a very light sentence?  Look, throwing your medal in the stands was dumb but hardly a crime agains't humanity for pete sakes.  I would easily draft this kid and not even think about this act if he fit in with my team's draft plans and I had an interview with him and was confident he was basically over this behaviour.
    You are twisting the argument around Earl. No one suggested it's OK if in the heat of the moment except your buddy Lyle and he is misinformed quite often as Sambo has proven once again.... This kind of action is not acceptable at all. Why didn't he wait and throw it away later ? No, he wanted attention just like most spoiled brats.

I'd be very leery of drafting someone with guy's attitude. I guess my standards are different than yours.

AND you can accuse me of thinking I'm perfect and I live in a glass house, but all I want is a common courtesy and politeness and sportsmanship that every other player who didn't win gold managed to convey.

sambo42

Wow... brutal comparison... we all do things in the "heat of the moment" and face the consequences of our actions. If you saw his later interview, he said the fan wanted the medal more than he did... he has to look at that medal in a different way, when he looks at it, it should remind him that he and his team played well enough to make it to the final of the tournament, and be proud of the accomplishment. Instead, he decided that it wasn't good enough and tossed it away. I wonder what other things in life he has thrown away because he felt it wasn't good enough...I would not draft this kid, because he showed poor sportsmanship and selfish behaviour, I would not want that kind of attitude in my dressing room.

TravelPat1

I'd be very leery of drafting someone with guy's attitude. 
Just an FYI for everyone.  He was already drafted as the 7th choice in the first round of the draft by the Rangers.

The scouting report on him said:

Andersson is an excellent team player. Never takes a shift off. Also blessed with good hockey sense and plays a strong two-way game. Offensively, Andersson stands out with impressive puck skills, a good shot and fine speed. Has the tools to become a scoring line player, but could also become an excellent role player who always gives 100%.

Good decision-making, leadership qualities and advanced understanding of the game…a true three-zone player…defensively responsible, Futureconsiderations.ca 2017
He is an aggressive player who often wins races for loose pucks and he is adept at winning one on one battles, Hockeyprospect.com 2017

I suspect his display of poor sportsmanship was not indicative of his usual behaviour (otherwise it is highly unlikely he would have been chosen as team captain). 

It was an emotional and yes immature response of a young guy to the huge disappointment of losing in the last two minutes of the game - a game they actually carried the play in for much of the time.  

everyman

wow...given how disgust-filled fans are when their teams don't win and the negative reaction to the Candian juniors not winning last time out I'm surprised at the angst  this 18 year old has caused.

At times I think we only want "sportsmanship" to rear up when it comes to kids who operate in  a vacuum.

I suspect a GM will spin this into a positive when looking at drafting. As will most fans who believe in "just win baby". Have a read through team forums here like Winnipeg who even mock their teams rapid improvement.

Aerial

.I would not draft this kid, because he showed poor sportsmanship and selfish behaviour, I would not want that kind of attitude in my dressing room
sambo, this looks like a good read I'd say.

DAN38

There are many books written on manners and what to do or how to act in a given situation. There is also something called common sense.

Earlier you brought up Alomar. Now, to be honest, I know nothing about this fellow except he played baseball.If he spit in an ump's face then I would never allow him into the HOF. Any HOF entry is not just based on stats. There is also a responsibility to morals and how you treat others.....There might just be some players who think they can still get into a HOF even if they spit in an officials face. Where is the line drawn ? Or do you have a line ?....None of my kids would ever do what Lias did. Apparently it would be OK if yours did. Sad.
   My main point is that it's so much easier to not have done anything and be gracious in defeat. Is that not what we teach our children ?

Oh yeah, Pat says Lias is already drafted. That makes what he did even worse. Much like other players in other sports, I will always remember him for this act. He branded himself. I didn't !

sambo42

.I would not draft this kid, because he showed poor sportsmanship and selfish behaviour, I would not want that kind of attitude in my dressing room
sambo, this looks like a good read I'd say.

Earl, if I was GM of the Rangers, I would release him or trade him, I would want someone who has a better attitude, and not selfish like this kid is...he has to face the fact that you don’t always win, show sportsmanship in defeat... Last year the Canadian kids did that, they skated over and congratulated the winners...too bad this kid doesn’t understand the concept

Aerial

I'm sure Don Cherry is making the same assessment of this kid now. ;)  I will agree to some extent the concept of "once a killer always a killer" sort of thing.  But an assessment will need to be made of the kid's character and how engrained it is within this noggin, I will agree with that.  You don't go throwing medals into the stands, again have to agree with that.  But I don't know how the hockey minds of the GMs think about all of this with this particular kid and his background, past behaviour, how he converses and thinks of teammates etc.  So much else to consider.  He was captain afterall.

Dan, you don't believe in the idea of forgiveness if someone admits they did something wrong and wants to atone for it?

sambo42

The problem in this particular case is that the kid has not admitted, AFAIK, that he did anything wrong, and is not apologizing for his actions. There are a few who are forgiving his actions, but that is called making excuses for him.

Users Online

82 Guests, 12 Users (9 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
DJohnson1954, everyman, Aerial, jonny24eh, ticat1, The Last Word, Cool, batkinson001, PTBO Dave, 15_championships, Google (9)

Most Online Today: 170. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)