Aerial

But Lyle, those guys I don't believe had to do anything but hockey I'm thinking, not sure but I think that may have been the case.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

Lyle B. Style

But Lyle, those guys I don't believe had to do anything but hockey I'm thinking, not sure but I think that may have been the case.
I think Foster did a bit of dabbling with Olympic hockey in the 40s - think I read he did a variety of sports when coming up in the 1920 but settled in with hockey.

I suspect Gallivan did mostly hockey. Can't remember him doing anything else. Should have asked him when I interviewed him for radio back in the 70s - he was doing a sports banquet with Whitey Ford & Mickey Mantle - still have all 3 autographs in my book!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

Aerial

And that folks should be a wrap, gold for Canada!  Great win, 56 seconds... Top of the junior hockey world, now onto the Olympics.

KevinRiley2

Should be the 3rd in 4 years.  Last year still hurts.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Aerial

I see that Sweeden's captain threw his silver medal into the crowd after the game.  Sounded like just frustration from losing a fairly tight game more than anything else why he did this.  

sambo42

I see that Sweeden's captain threw his silver medal into the crowd after the game.  Sounded like just frustration from losing a fairly tight game more than anything else why he did this.  
 At first I was willing to give the kid a break, but that was just poor sportsmanship, can you imagine if it was the Team Canada captain doing that? I shudder at the thought... I'm sure there are 8 other captains & teams that would have loved to switch places with the Swedes, to PLAY for a gold medal... if he and his teammates feel the same way, then the silver should be give to the USA and the bronze to the Czechs. 

DAN38

At first I was willing to give the kid a break, but that was just poor sportsmanship, can you imagine if it was the Team Canada captain doing that? I shudder at the thought... I'm sure there are 8 other captains & teams that would have loved to switch places with the Swedes, to PLAY for a gold medal... if he and his teammates feel the same way, then the silver should be give to the USA and the bronze to the Czechs.
   I couldn't agree more, Sambo. That act was one of total disrespect for the whole tournament, the other players and especially the fans. A grandiose lack of humility.
   Now all the media darlings are tripping over themselves making excuses for this POS...the real sad part is that in a year or so this POS will be given millions to play in the NHL and a bunch of dopes will pay big bucks to go and watch him play and he's taking the place of a good home grown Canadian kid who dreamed all his life about playing for the Stanley Cup.
   I have no sympathy for this kind of behaviour. Nobody else did this. I'l tell you one thing, if I caught that medal, he'd never get it back. Grow up Lias, you spoiled POS.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

Lyle B. Style

You mopes have very short memories.

You probably don't remember a noted athlete tossing his silver medal into the lake during the 1960 Olympics.

Felt he got cheated on the decision in boxing.

For the record - the athletes name was Cassius Clay.

He later changed his name to Ali - perhaps the most recognizable person on the face of the earth.

Can't say the Swedish kid's actions are an example of fine sportsmanship. They're NOT. But in the overall his decision to fling his medal into the crowd was determined by high strung passion in the heat of the moment - NOT intentional poor sportsmanship. For that - I kinda admire the young fella.

I'll leave my venom and animosity for certified animals like Marty McSorley who tried to personally execute a fellow player years ago - and guys like that. But I guess some folks equate honest passion under duress as criminal acts! SO BE IT.....

Aerial

I'm with you Lyle.  For myself, if this guy has "anger issues" inside his noggin, then tossing your medal into the stands rather than doing a Todd Bertuzzi criminal act on the ice, is what I would call a reasonable cathartic release of anger that didn't cause much harm if any to anyone.  Sure, it's unsportsmanlike and such, I won't argue with that but unsportsmanlike behaviour does go on in the world of sport, as we are all aware of course.  Remember Roberto Alomar spitting at an ump?  Hall of Fame and Blue Jays fans continue to adore him.  So that's the way the world of sports can and does work.  Big deal most say and big deal with this as well.

DAN38

You probably don't remember a noted athlete tossing his silver medal into the lake during the 1960 Olympics.

He later changed his name to Ali - perhaps the most recognizable person on the face of the earth.

Can't say the Swedish kid's actions are an example of fine sportsmanship. They're NOT. But in the overall his decision to fling his medal into the crowd was determined by high strung passion in the heat of the moment - NOT intentional poor sportsmanship. For that - I kinda admire the young fella.

I'll leave my venom and animosity for certified animals like Marty McSorley who tried to personally execute a fellow player years ago - and guys like that. But I guess some folks equate honest passion under duress as criminal acts! SO BE IT.....
   How does any of what you say have anything to do with what the kid did ? Clay did worse so it's OK what Andersson did ? Try to dig up more excuses and accolades for this clown. ::) There was no heat of the moment, they LOST. The game was over and time had elapsed since the final whistle. The fact that you admire him speaks volumes.
   I may be a mope but it's better than being a dope, Lyle !

sambo42

How does any of what you say have anything to do with what the kid did ? Clay did worse so it's OK what Andersson did ? Try to dig up more excuses and accolades for this clown. ::) There was no heat of the moment, they LOST. The game was over and time had elapsed since the final whistle. The fact that you admire him speaks volumes.
   I may be a mope but it's better than being a dope, Lyle !
 The bolded part is the funniest thing I have read in awhile... LOL... Lyle, the problem here is that Andersson was the team Captain, given a leadership to set an example for his teammates, so he sent a poor message to the rest of the team. It may take some time, but they will get over it, but it seems that this kid doesn't get over it. If you watch the footage of the medal presentations, he didn't even want it put around his neck, he stuck out his hand... I believe his actions were pre-meditated, so that makes it even worse. He even spoke about putting a silver medal he got in the under-18 tournament away and hasn't looked at it... again I bet there are a few teams that would have gladly switched positions with him... if he ever wins a Stanley Cup, it is made of SILVER... is he going to toss that into the crowd too?

Aerial

If he's going to transition to the pro game and be successful yes, I agree, he will have to learn to behave more as a grown-up but this is hardly an act at his age that should define him for the rest of his life as to what type of player he can become.  

But I do admire him if he truly does have anger issues that haven't been treated and if this was his best non-invasive way of dealing with these, in the moment or even if somewhat premeditated.  Hopefully this will wake him or others up and get him to go and see a psychologist if he hasn't already and get some therapy.

sambo42

You are omitting quite a few facts there Lyle... I found this, and his reasonings are FAR DIFFERENT than the spoiled Swedish captain's...

http://empirenews.net/muhammad-alis-olympic-gold-medal-found-in-ohio-river/

DAN38

The bolded part is the funniest thing I have read in awhile... LOL... Lyle, the problem here is that Andersson was the team Captain, given a leadership to set an example for his teammates, so he sent a poor message to the rest of the team. It may take some time, but they will get over it, but it seems that this kid doesn't get over it. If you watch the footage of the medal presentations, he didn't even want it put around his neck, he stuck out his hand... I believe his actions were pre-meditated, so that makes it even worse. He even spoke about putting a silver medal he got in the under-18 tournament away and hasn't looked at it... again I bet there are a few teams that would have gladly switched positions with him... if he ever wins a Stanley Cup, it is made of SILVER... is he going to toss that into the crowd too?
    I was going to say the exact same thing, Sambo. I too watched him almost refuse the medal and then take it off immediately after he left the presenter. He's a poor sport, plain and simple. He expected to win and when he didn't, he threw a tantrum. How anyone can make excuses for this kind of action is beyond my scope.

I like gardening, but for me there are far too many pansies on this forum.

Aerial

So Dan, how does Alomar get in the Hall of Fame spitting on an ump?  MLB should make no excuses I guess in your mind and immediately say Roberto isn't Hall of Fame worthy?  ...

Spitting on an or at an ump is far worse than tossing your medal into the stands in my books, no questions asked.

Give the kid a break or are you too perfect to even consider it?  Or maybe people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Users Online

76 Guests, 8 Users (14 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mightygoose, Garney 26, ExPat, ThomasE, rshmglsky, Evil Doctor, Google (AdSense) (3), Google (11)

Most Online Today: 134. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)