Lyle B. Style

USA got themselves exterminated by the mighty Swede-O's

Looks like Outhouse Arena in Buffalo is perhaps 1/3 full with Czechs taking on the Sticks to Sawdust Gang from Canada!!!

Czechs with early 1 goal lead - which means Canada will frantically grip their sticks to the point of sawdusting them . . . . .

Canada the better team - but with weight of the world (and 5,000 fans) they could easily blow it . . . . . AGAIN!

WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

Lyle B. Style

Don't ya just love how Hockey Canada (and Rogers/Sportsnet) appease the small to medium sized Canadian towns and cities by giving them Rogers Hometown Hockey - but unwilling to book major junior international hockey in those same areas.

Just send Ron McLean and that scatterbrained female sidekick and the fans will go crazy!

But the reality is the small and medium sized cities are the heart 'n soul of Canadian hockey. Places like Saskatoon, North Battleford, Brandon, Moose Jaw, Swift Current, Red Deer, Kamploops, London, Sudbury, Halifax, St. Johns, etc. Add Winnipeg, Regina, Ottawa and Calgary to the mix and that's where hosting in Canada should occur.

That's the home - AND THE HEART OF CANADIAN HOCKEY!

Get it right next time, NIMRODS!

Aerial

True enough Lyle, agree.  I hope the Canadian hockey people and media do some thinking after this tournament and respect where, as you say, the heart of Canadian junior hockey resides.

Canada looked wonky early but came back nicely in latter half of the first.  They realize they aren't playing the Swiss, finally.

"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

KevinRiley2

USA got themselves exterminated by the mighty Swede-O's

Looks like Outhouse Arena in Buffalo is perhaps 1/3 full with Czechs taking on the Sticks to Sawdust Gang from Canada!!!

Czechs with early 1 goal lead - which means Canada will frantically grip their sticks to the point of sawdusting them . . . . .

Canada the better team - but with weight of the world (and 5,000 fans) they could easily blow it . . . . . AGAIN!
We are up 2-1.

I am disappointed at the lack of Canadian support/fans.  Having said that, it is FREEZING in Buffalo right now and there may be a snow storm.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Aerial

Well the lack of people at the game might be exactly what the doctor ordered for the Canadian hockey people to figure things out.  But yes, it's friggin cold out there tonight, that's for sure!

TravelPat1

I'm beginning to wonder what the TV ratings have been like for TSN  on these World Junior games.  Are they as disappointing as the attendance numbers in Key Bank Arena?

Not one press release - as far as I can tell about the ratings for the games thus far - including even the outdoor game - which I assumed would have had viewership numbers that Bell Media would want to brag about. But nothing from their PR department so far.

We'll see if that changes after the final.

I have to admit - I watched the outdoor game but only tiny snippets of every other game.  Last night I was watching the Leafs - not the Juniors. That would not have been the case the last few years or when the final was in Toronto - a game I went to - one of the best live sporting events I've been too.

Here a video I took of the dying seconds.
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHYEpIeTmZw

Aerial

I watched last night's game until the score was 5-1 and then I knew the game was over.  I didn't even know the Leafs were playing last night to tell you the truth but then I wasn't looking.

But what I think many feel like yourself Pat is that empty seats makes the games "seem" or have the "appearance" of not important and this creates a lack of excitement in some.  This doesn't apply to me in sports for the most part, I couldn't care less, I watch something because I want to see the on field, on ice etc play but I think it does factor in for many people.  

I just know the kids are so excited and trying their hearts out, no one could be at the games and yet the excitement is there for myself, well as excited as I would get regardless for such a hockey event.

The Leafs had a packed house so I know this turns on the average sports viewer more than a game where there are so many empty seats, all things considered.  All things considered for myself, the junior game with a championship on the line, a world championship that is with the best juniors in the world for the most part, was way more important to me than the Leafs game or any NHL game mid season sort of thing, a semi-final in juniors with Canada playing, no comparison for me even if no one was in the house watching and the NHL games was packed to the brim.  But that's just me.

Aerial

Where did they dig up that ref?  In some ditch in the middle of nowhere?  Bruuutal.

Both goaltenders are sharp, very sharp, especially that Sweedish goalie.  Although Sweedes outshout Canada 16-9 so both goalies excellent for sure.

Beauty headmanning the puck textbook!  1-0 Canada!!!  Pace of this game is out of this world!

Lyle B. Style

Not too much separates these two great youthful teams. Sweden a bit more flow in 5 man units they train together but Canada has all that spunk & guile when things don't go according to hoyle.

I'll say one thing with absolute certainty - Gordie Miller is the pre-eminent hockey broadcaster of our time!

Hard to even fathom who's 2nd, 3rd, 4th. Perhaps Al Michaels, the American announcer!

Aerial

I'll say one thing with absolute certainty - Gordie Miller is the pre-eminent hockey broadcaster of our time!
Bingo Lyle.  This guy lives, breathes and eats hockey especially junior hockey.

Hart is focused, going to be tough for the Sweedes to beat him in this one.  Looks like he has 4 eyes out there on the puck.

Ok, spoke too fast but that was not Hart's fault.

To the third...

TravelPat1

Hard to even fathom who's 2nd, 3rd, 4th. Perhaps Al Michaels, the American announcer!
I like him too. Luckily we get him with Ray Ferraro for about 15 - 20 of the Leafs regional games on TSN4. Cuthbert does about ten of them also with Ferraro.  Much prefer either of them to Paul Romanuk who does the Leafs Sportsnet Ontario regional games.  

I don't mind the CBC Saturday night main crew (usually Leafs game) of Hughson and Simpson too.

Lyle B. Style

Miller is almost as proficient at CFL ball as he is hockey. TSN really should try and integrate into more of the CFL calls - as guys like Rod Black are starting to soil the viewing experience on a too regular basis!

Aerial

Hughson is strong, agree Pat, very professional, not as quick with verbal fluency as Gord but not sure that this is that important really.  Overall presentation and knowledge with heart.

Lyle B. Style

Thankfully, the plaid bandit (Rod Black) doesn't get more hockey calls (a bit of womens and CIAU, that's all I recall) but Sportsnet/Rogers is still wanting badly for quality play by play voices - still utilizing Bob "Crystal Ball" Cole for his services at 85 or 86 yrs of age.

Cole no longer sees the ice surface clearly so he relies on shadows - and his trusty Crystal ball to name players and numbers. O well, at least it beats having to listen to that fraud from Edmonton, Bryan "Nutbar" Hall. . . . .

Lyle B. Style

Hughson is strong, agree Pat, very professional, not as quick with verbal fluency as Gord but not sure that this is that important really.  Overall presentation and knowledge with heart.
Hughson is now far more mechanical (and thus redundant) than the more free-flowing Miller. While neither are at the pantheon of Danny Gallivan, Foster Hewitt or Jim Lang they are very good at doing the job they are assigned to do.

Users Online

87 Guests, 16 Users (10 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
giasone, of course, letsgoticats, everyman, VICIOUSCIRCLE, Hamilton2005, ExPat, kfan, Grimzby, rshmglsky, RM14, pw13, BillyDee87, tabbyfan, Google (AdSense) (6), Google (4)

Most Online Today: 153. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)