SteelCitySteve

I don't know, usually just the presence of team Canada or team USA is enough to draw a big crowd, regardless of opponent. Its a short 2 week tournament during a time when people are off looking for things to do.....a "build-up" to bigger crowds shouldn't happening.

I think they've over overestimated themselves. May need to lower prices and venue size in the future.

Lyle B. Style

Sadly the host broadcaster (TSN) has accepted contractual rules that forbid them to criticize (or even mention) crowd sizes. Only if its SRO or close to SRO - and rabid - then the announcers will be all over it.

But with 60 to 85% of these arenas dressed as empty seats - don't expect things to change!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

EastVanMark

The pre-tournament game in Hamilton was in the $20 - $30 range.
If the tourament tickets were even twice that amount, we'd see much bigger crowds. Instead both Hockey Canada and USA Hockey got greedy and its nice to see them wear the goat horns.

EastVanMark

I guess the ice was in pretty poor condition at New Era Field for the USA team practice yesterday. They had to stop their practice several times to fill in divots that formed in the brittle ice and placed water bottles on dodgy ice areas for players to avoid those sections according to a story in the Buffalo News.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/12/27/u-s-powers-through-ice-issues-at-new-era-field-practice/

At this time it is expected to be very cold with perhaps some snow but it appears no major snowfall for the game so it should be able to be played still. Apparently a final decision will be made by the IIHF late tonight. If it can't be played at 3:00PM tomorrow afternoon at New Era Field they will move the game to Key Bank Arena for an evening game.
The stench of the 2015 Grey Cup stage move permeates the air....LoL ;)

Aerial

Or how about this stench of some $5 mill + bucks of taxpayers money, 5.6 mill bucks to be more exact,  for a temp outdoor rink and they can't even play some youth games!  Different stench but stench just the same.  8)  Come to think of it, way more stench!

Scanlan: Capital Cup games moved as Parliament Hill rink bitten by cold snap

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/scanlan-capital-cup-games-moved-as-parliament-hill-rink-bitten-by-cold-snap

How can an outdoor skating rink possibly cost $5.6 million? Here's the breakdown

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/how-can-an-outdoor-skating-rink-possibly-cost-5-6-million-heres-the-breakdown
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Mightygoose

Slovakia with a big 3-2 upset over the US.

Canada with a win in the outdoor game tomorrow, even if it's in OT or shootout will clinch 1st in the group.

TravelPat1

Sadly the host broadcaster (TSN) has accepted contractual rules that forbid them to criticize (or even mention) crowd sizes. Only if its SRO or close to SRO - and rabid - then the announcers will be all over it.

But with 60 to 85% of these arenas dressed as empty seats - don't expect things to change!
Actually I've heard them mention the lousy crowds a couple of times during games I've watched.  James Duthie referred to the crowds the first two days being 'very disappointing' in the opening of Canada's game against Slovakia the other day.  And during the game Gord Miller referred to the disappointing small crowds becoming a major talking point and said something like - We'll see how the crowd is at the outdoor game'.  

Outdoor game weather update.  Snowing right now at New Era Field with temp of -9C.  On and off flurries expected all afternoon. 

Aerial

Slovakia with a big 3-2 upset over the US.

Canada with a win in the outdoor game tomorrow, even if it's in OT or shootout will clinch 1st in the group.
No question, few expected that but with excellent goaltending anything can happen.  And check out that Bucek goal, wow!:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/world-juniors-roundup-1.4466636

Should be interesting this aft with the conditions outdoors, we'll see.  Hopefully few and very light flurries. :-\

TravelPat1

Apparently it was quite the challenge to get to New Era Field today.  Just east of Hamilton the QEW had a truck fire that had the highway closed - so anybody heading towards Buffalo from the GTA would have run into a MASSIVE traffic jam for hours. Plus reports of up 90 minute delays getting across the border at the Peace Bridge from Fort Erie to Buffalo. 

Maybe it will fill in - but right now it almost looks like that crowd would have been able to fit into the Key Bank Arena.

Lyle B. Style

They may still have to play the 3rd period indoors. The snow in Buffalo is really massing up - visibility also a problem but snow really building up on the ice!

Aerial

I played house league hockey in London way back on outdoor rinks, losing team had to shovel the ice for the next game, in those days only 2 indoor rinks plus the London Gardens and only all-star, maybe now known as rep teams, played in the indoor arenas but once in a while us lowly house leaguers did get to play at at indoor arena.

So yes, it's neat watching this today, this is what I played in for my house league and church games back in the early and middle '60's.

That being said, I'm not sure about this game, glad I didn't pay money and my time to watch this in a football stadium and a real reduction in quality of the play.  Football makes more sense in this weather than hockey, the puck travelling through the snow, doesn't work.  But at least it's cold so the snow is fluffy and the puck is moving better than if it was around 0 degrees where it can really stick and no flow.  Rink and especially corners look small, is this a regulation sized rink or is it just the camera angles from a football stadium making the ice surface look small?  Don't know.

But fun to watch on TV and even with a worse camera angle than a regular arena.

Bottom line, cash grab, no thanks, this game should have been played indoors.  But Americans just tied it, it's a crap shoot out there.  Hey a win is a win is a win, Stanley Cup with 6 teams, Stanley Cup champs, still champs etc. bottom line is there is a winner in whatever sport, whatever conditions etc. all that matters as Vince Lombadi says is

Too funny with the stick skewered agains't the boards.

Doing the BS 3 on 3.  Very sad.

"First good news for attendance for the tournament".  What he said Ray Ferraro.  I'm sure there aren't too many little kids with their fathers at this one.   A booze affair for the spectators.  ;)    If I was there, I'd be totally loaded by now and if I had kids, wouldn't want them near me.  :)

Now the totally beyond stupid shootout, time to turn the game off, I hate this sh.....t to determine a winner.  Brutal.  Ruins a game especially a big game.  Not my thing.  I'll watch but only bring into it what Vince Lombardi says, winning is the only thing.  And that's fair enough.  It's all about winning, well 99.9 percent, sorry Vince can't give you ;) 100 percent on this one.

Hate the shootout but is what it is, CANADA SUCKED on the shootout, totally SUCKED.

Bad taste on my mouth with this game in so many ways except it reminded me of my youth hockey house league days and the game was a good game no question.  Other than that, no thanks.  Too soccerish this shootout thing, no likey. 

TravelPat1

It was kind of cool to watch.  It was a lot like watching the Bills - Colts game 3 weeks ago in the same stadium or the Grey Cup game in Ottawa. You just can't turn away because of the great visuals the snow creates.  I think it was Gord Miller who said some might be critical of it - but 'what a spectacular sight'.

James Duthie said the snow made the Grey Cup game somewhat 'not real football' and the snow had a similar impact in this game.

I give both teams credit and the snow shovelers a ton of credit too because they must have shovelled literally a ton of snow. Huge props to the 44,000+ fans too - some of whom did not make it to the game until the second period because of all the issues getting to the game. It filled in really well as the game went on. And kudos to the TSN camera people who did a great job in very challenging conditions.

My guess as the snow got heavier and the game dragged on into the early evening hours in the east - that the ratings on TSN likely just kept building and building.    

Canada needs to work on their shootouts.  They now have not scored on the last 9 shots they've taken going back to last year's Gold Medal game. 

Aerial

Pat, you giving credit to TSN?  WOW!  There is hope for you yet!  ;)

Aerial

More World Juniors tomorrow, thank goodness.

Aerial

Not a very good crowd with the US and Russia playing tonight in the q finals, I thought with the US playing a much better crowd would have happened.

US back on top!

Users Online

57 Guests, 4 Users (13 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mightygoose, RichardVeilleux, VICIOUSCIRCLE, KevinRiley2, Google (13)

Most Online Today: 100. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)