FootbalYouBet

I am thoroughly disgusted

might as well add darts, billiards, poker and tiddly winks
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

There are people out there who just will not be happy until they have created sentient AI.

TravelPat1

Let  me guess - you don't like the sport of golf? 

Hank01

Golf and curling pretty much the same athletics . I would say golf is much harder as a technical sport . I mastered curling fairly quickly while golf is a never ending day of smack the ball and curse .

FootbalYouBet

Let  me guess - you don't like the sport of golf?
I don't like the GAME of golf being called a sport.

sambo42

Go play 4 rounds of golf every weekend for the next 3 months on a regulation course and tell me it’s not a sport.... and you have to walk & carry your clubs too

FootbalYouBet

Go play 4 rounds of golf every weekend for the next 3 months on a regulation course and tell me it’s not a sport.... and you have to walk & carry your clubs too
so carrying the groceries home is a sport as well?

sambo42

Stupid comparison... unless you carry groceries  for hours on end everyday

TravelPat1

The golf swing uses at least 17 muscle groups in the coordinated movement of the hands, wrists, arms, abdomen, and legs according to a study in the British Medical Journal,

Sounds pretty sporty to me. 

FootbalYouBet

Stupid comparison... unless you carry groceries  for hours on end everyday
but now you are just talking degrees or length of exercise.

RedandWhite

but now you are just talking degrees
...okay, but what about pick up hockey?  bunch of beer leaguers playing and not trying to die of a heart attack on the bench...I'd see this type of hockey as a pastime, not a sport, yet at the NHL level it's clearly a sport...same goes for golf in my opinion...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

FootbalYouBet

The golf swing uses at least 17 muscle groups in the coordinated movement of the hands, wrists, arms, abdomen, and legs according to a study in the British Medical Journal,

Sounds pretty sporty to me.
we use a lot of muscle groups in everyday life, shoveling snow, mowing the grass, moving furniture up the stairs, etc.  Did they happen to do a study on these such activities?

FootbalYouBet

...okay, but what about pick up hockey?  bunch of beer leaguers playing and not trying to die of a heart attack on the bench...I'd see this type of hockey as a pastime, not a sport, yet at the NHL level it's clearly a sport...same goes for golf in my opinion...
I consider any hockey at any level to be a sport.

RedandWhite

...you haven't seen me play...

Aerial

FYB wrote:
so carrying the groceries home is a sport as well?
It sure can be if it's done in a competition competing and practising to become better than your opponents.  You are using your muscles that will require training to be your best. That's what sport is about.  Like hot dog eating contests, that is a sport, you have to practise and then compete using throat muscles to get the food down.  Not all sports require you to raise your heat rate to your maximum.  And I'm being serious, hot dog eating contests are clearly a sport that require muscular training.  Chess, on the other hand, isn't a sport, you need no training of your muscles to win, simply the use of grey matter to win.  Big difference.

Ok, I need a winkie, maybe real cerebral games like chess do use some muscles to "get the job done" if anyone can tell me, please post.  ;)

Sport is more inclusive than a game like chess, sport uses both cerebral, out of default of course, and to be a sport, muscular training and dexterity, practised to become proficient in a competition.

I think the Chess thread in this "Other Leagues and Sports" should be eliminated from here, albeit there are chess leagues come to think of it.  ;)  You nerdy chess sorts here, take your high falutin intelligence and get "outa here".  :-*
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

sambo42

Your post reminds me of the new Hotels.com commercial.... its hilarious!

https://youtu.be/E7V1ckEiYu8

Users Online

75 Guests, 2 Users (16 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Lennywasout, Google (AdSense) (2), Google (14)

Most Online Today: 129. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)