TravelPat1

It is being reported that FOX is paying over $600 million a year for 5 seasons of Thursday night football. 11 games per year in weeks 4 through 15 except for the American Thanksgiving. So a total of 55 games for over $3 billion!  And that doesn't even include the digital rights.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/01/31/fox-broadcast-thursday-night-football-5-year-deal-nfl/1082385001/ 

The games will also be on NFL Network. 

If my math is right that is that is over $54 million per game!  Wow!

Mightygoose

I guess the networks are not too concerned about the ratings drop over the past couple of years.

The guys at Fox are putting some of Disney's money to good use!

RedandWhite

...tough to sell enough ads for that Cincy-Baltimore matchup...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

KevinRiley2

That is insane.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

KevinRiley2

...tough to sell enough ads for that Cincy-Baltimore matchup...
I don't understand Fox's thinking.

KevinRiley2

Even people who LOVE the NFL, don't watch the Thursday night game.

How bad does FOX want in that they are willing to pay $37M for the Dog Of The Week.

Plus, if FOX is willing to pay $37M for one game, our CFL games on the NFL Network need to be worth something.

Aerial

Looks like the MLS has a ways to go to try and match this truly major-league football deal.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Hank01

It is being reported that FOX is paying over $600 million a year for 5 seasons of Thursday night football. 11 games per year in weeks 4 through 15 except for the American Thanksgiving. So a total of 55 games for over $3 billion!  And that doesn't even include the digital rights.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/01/31/fox-broadcast-thursday-night-football-5-year-deal-nfl/1082385001/

The games will also be on NFL Network.

If my math is right that is that is over $54 million per game!  Wow!

Then people wonder if a Spring league can be viable with such sweep stakes to be obtained . It's no matter that leagues or idea of leagues are constantly being pandered . 

If the CFL is going to kill November football for survival reasons it should look to a non conflict NFL season with NFL cities and non NFL cities alike with big investors .It appears their is an appetite for football for non traditional nights in the  week and maybe in the year as well . 

54 million a game is what the same the CFL gets or a little less for the entire season . Mind boggling the money on the table to be taken by a bright entrepreneur out there taking notice of it and seizing the day .
MY NEW HERO JORDAN PETERSON FOR PRIME MINISTER

TravelPat1

I guess the NFL players are not thrilled with the continuation of Thursday Night games - because players feel there at more of a risk of injury when they have to play games Sunday and the following Thursday.  Plus with less time for teams to prepare and practice a regular game plan - I think it hurts the quality for of the games. I'm a Bills fan and their one Thursday night game was one of their worst performances of the season this past season.  

Comments by Seahawks Canadian tight end Luke Wilson on Sportsnet on increased injuries - even getting picked up by American sports media like Sporting News.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/seahawks-luke-willson-dumbfounded-disgusted-nfl-roger-goodell-thursday-games/198dhwytc2uh81xy2aujduuclx

While Goodell said the slight increase of injuries during Thursday games was an anomaly compared to previous seasons, Seahawks tight end Luke Willson isn't buying it.

"Listening to the commissioner, I am completely dumbfounded," Willson said as part of SportsNet's Super Bowl 52 coverage. "You talk about this big emphasis placed on it, but what was said (Wednesday) is just simply not the truth. 
"(Goodell) mentioned some stats and those stats are completely flawed. As a current player, if you play in a Thursday night game, you usually get the weekend off. So, any normal injury you would report, that would be on the injury report, you're not going to say that because you want that weekend off. No player wants to be in mandatory treatment right after a Thursday night game when, like the commissioner said, it's like a mini-bye. 

"You're not reporting the normal injuries you would get on a Sunday, unless, obviously, it's very serious," Willson continued. "So to sit here and say that injuries aren't a thing, to be honest, I'm pretty disgusted as a current player. It was upsetting and you can see that it's not really about player safety."
One other comment the Canadian made caught my eye too. 

The Ontario native, who played his college football at Rice, would also like to see an NFL game or two a year in Canada. Willson said it's "disappointing" to see annual games in Mexico City and London, but none in Canada. 

Aerial

It's about money though, stating the obvious.  Thursday night is "special" as the NFL and networks see it and it probably garners more viewers than a 1:00 pm Sunday start often and the bars love it I'm sure as it's a night with an NFL game.

RedandWhite

...teams that play on Thursday night should be only teams coming off their bye week...that probably addresses the injury issue (an issue that cannot be denied, even if your initials are RG)...

Connecticut Yankee

I guess the networks are not too concerned about the ratings drop over the past couple of years.

The guys at Fox are putting some of Disney's money to good use!
The Fox network is not part of the sales agreement with Disney. Disney purchased Fox's studio/film archive(think Avatar, Alien, Deadpool, Simpsons and The first Star Wars). They also purchased Sky(Fox's European Satellite service) and other cable assets. Fox,Fox News, and Fox Sports are still controlled by Rupert Murdoch.
Network TV is dying a slow death that will only accelerate in the next 3-5 years.(live events- sports, news, special events are going to fill up their schedule-thus the high bid for rights)To use an analogy to describe the state of linear network TV, think of a lush garden in the first week of September, in a few weeks the garden won't look so nice. 
This deal was done to pump up the value for eventual sale.Mr Murdoch is 86 years old and his children are going to want the money. To use an analogy,Think Mr.Braley and The BC Lions,He loves the team and is unwilling to sell which is to the detriment of the team.

Connecticut Yankee

The Ontario native, who played his college football at Rice, would also like to see an NFL game or two a year in Canada. Willson said it's "disappointing" to see annual games in Mexico City and London, but none in Canada.
The NFL is preparing a possible game for Canada in 2019(NFL's 100th Anniversary).
They have games also scheduled for England,Mexico, and potentially sites in China/Germany.

http://torontosun.com/2017/02/01/nfl-toured-4-canadian-stadiums-as-potential-sites-for-future-games/wcm/8cc208d8-efd4-4d44-81a9-e6e5fbc76d15

The NHL is looking to hold a Heritage Classic in Edmonton in 2019(no game in 2018) which would probably be in early November after the proposed Grey Cup in mid-October.It would be very interesting if Edmonton ends up hosting an NFL game in the last two weeks of October. I wonder how Mr.Rhodes would spin that situation(Party in your parka-just not for the CFL)

RedandWhite

This deal was done to pump up the value for eventual sale.Mr Murdoch is 86 years old and his children are going to want the money. 
...at a net worth of only $15.5B, split six ways and probably have to share with Jerri, oh my gosh, whatever will they do to survive?!?!

Connecticut Yankee

Even people who LOVE the NFL, don't watch the Thursday night game.

How bad does FOX want in that they are willing to pay $37M for the Dog Of The Week.

Plus, if FOX is willing to pay $37M for one game, our CFL games on the NFL Network need to be worth something.
The media/Technology conglomerates(Disney,Amazon,Etc ..) are heading into a massive battle 
for people's attention.Thus the willingness pay top dollar for content.The companies that win that attention will monetize it.FOX was overpaying for an asset to keep it out of the hands of another company and increase it's resale potential.

Kevin, if you are playing the stock market, here is a tip buy the following three media companies:

WWE
MGM holdings
Lionsgate

These three companies are going to be bought out within the next six to nine months for a very 
pretty sum of money.WWE's sale could have a direct effect with how much capital the XFL has to 
work with in 2020.

MLSE's purchase of the Argonauts was about buying an intellectual property(which in this day and age is incredibly valuable).
The CFL is a massively undervalued asset that has not been properly managed to achieve its full potential.
How they navigate the next few years will be telling to the leagues potential growth.Why deal with the NFL
 when Amazon,Facebook,Etc ... will give you a great deal more money.

Users Online

68 Guests, 6 Users (5 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
toddstattoo, KevinRiley2, Lyle B. Style, rusjod, Davaidengi, Google (5)

Most Online Today: 139. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)